Commander Feedback (on 217 and older)

simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
<div class="IPBDescription">What's broken and what's coming soon?</div>Marine Commanding:
-Health and Ammo requests no longer seem to show up anywhere as an icon you can click on to bring you to that specific marine who asked for it. Some players think i'm ignoring them. Merely using space doesn't do anything if these requests stack up.
-MAC's are annoying. I want to build an armory but the last thing I had selected was a MAC, therefore he wants to run to that location before the structure appears. I don't think this feature is necessary.
-(Not sure if fixed) Selecting multiple ARCS or MACS by dragging a rectangle over them wont work if a marine is standing inside of that rectangle as well. Not very intuitive to those who might be used to other RTS

Alien Commanding:
-So it seems that whips can't have anything built near them. Was it intended that other whips can't be built next to them or for all structures?

BOTH commanders:
-Map keys that are also the same as research shortcuts. Not sure if there's much that can be done since different people might have different binds.
-Binding structures to hotkeys? I asked this question a while back and it turns out because I bound my push to talk key to CONTROL, I can no longer bind things to the 1, 2, 3, etc keys. I like having PTT on control and I don't want to change it.
-What happened to the ######+rightclick causing a distress waypoint to appear on the map?

Anyone feel free to add some or chime in with solutions or answers to what I got here. I love commanding and I'd love to see a couple of minor things tweaked to make it a better experience.

Comments

• Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-(Not sure if fixed) Selecting multiple ARCS or MACS by dragging a rectangle over them wont work if a marine is standing inside of that rectangle as well. Not very intuitive to those who might be used to other RTS<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pressing CTRL-click on a unit in 216 would select all the same units of that type on the active screen. Not useful for you perhaps if you've rebound talk from ALT to CTRL.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-What happened to the ######+rightclick causing a distress waypoint to appear on the map?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's now (unhelpfully) rebound to ALT-click, so if I'm talking and moving the viewport around on the minimap, I leave an alert which is confusing for all concerned.
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    It'd be nice if there was were options to rebind commander keys in the Options.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The marine health gone in commander view is a bug, and is being fixed. It's true that the automatic spam is kindof an annoyance, I guess when health is back, it's easier to see who actually needs the medpack. Concerning ammo, I usually check where the request came from, and whether I feel the marine is at an important place, or if he can run back and get ammo himself.

In 216 I didn't always give ammo or health, it's an investment and as commander you need to decide if it's a good one or not. The marines have to trust their commander to give help when it's affordable or not. In 217 it's sort of the same, but you get a few more ammo requests..

I agree on the MAC, I hate to have it selected, and when I build something, it tries to get there, no matter where it is, and it's sometimes hard to unselect it.. A good example is a marine requesting a building, and I drop it to learn that a MAC is now running there, and the ghost building doesn't appear until the MAC gets there, I have to stop the MAC, unselect it, find the marine again, and listen to complains about me being a slow com :)
  • spawnehspawneh Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22480Members
    Can no longer ping by clicking in the main game view, only by clicking on the minimap. Any chance we can get this back? Fairly sure we could click in the actual game to ping anyway.
  • GreenFlameGreenFlame Join Date: 2011-03-17 Member: 86860Members
    I'm really sorry to say it, but the thing I dislike most is the new GUI, and not only the Commander GUIs but the main menu GUI, Marine and Alien HUD GUIs, I really miss the old ones. And the minimap for marines was better with the icons, not those squares, they are too confusing. The map icon scale doesn't seem to help at all as well.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Rooted whips block cysts, so you cannot continue a cyst chain past a rooted whip. Also is it possible to make alt-click ping when you click anywhere on the screen and not just the minimap? It is very annoying to have to constantly click on the minimap. Minimap is for looking not for clicking imo.
  • StergearyStergeary Join Date: 2010-07-05 Member: 72252Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    -Setting units and buildings to control groups should be more responsive.
    -Double-tapping a control group key should center Commander view on the units in that group.
    -There should be 10 control groups instead of 5.
    -Multi-unit control and display should be improved.
    -Commander commands and waypoints aren't sufficiently noticeable.
    -Nano-Shield, Infestation Spike, and Spawn Cyst often goes into cooldown without actually working.
    -Rupture Cyst should actually do something.
    -The Commander HUD is usually wrong about which room you are in (e.g. showing Summit Reception when you are actually looking at Crevice in ns_summit).
    -Unit pathing AI is still really screwing, although since Drifters are no longer required, it's less noticeable. Should still be fixed.
    -First Harvester is still sometimes spawning without infestation nearby and needs to be recysted at the start of the game.
    -Marines with Jetpacks and Exosuits show no information when they are selected, as if they didn't exist (HUD will show the last thing you clicked instead of the Marine).
    -Commander HUD should somehow inform him of how much ammo a Marine has.