BAD CHANGES

NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
edited August 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">BAD</div>- <b>Can't drop weapons as commander unless it's beside an armoury</b>

WHY

- RIP skill-based skulk movement

we will miss you

- New maximap

EVERYTHING IS SO SMALL.... AND ORANGE

- Can't cancel reload by firing GL or rifle butt melee

this patch summed up
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm1p5TTz6P8&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm1p5TTz6P8&hd=1</a>
replace "nothing" with exos

Comments

• BitcrusherBitcrusher Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156628Members
    Nah the patch rules. Good day sir!
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    While you may be right, these points are no reason to be mean. Prepare for that one:

DISCO FLASHLIGHT GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    that was gone last patch
  • DFCDFC Join Date: 2012-08-25 Member: 156444Members
    I'll just paste this here

- Why remove welder and mines icons from armory?
    - Why make everything so blue on marines comm? Too confusing now.
    - Why make everything so orange on aliens comm? Too confusing now.
    - Why remove marine health bars off comm view?
    - Why rebind mass way point to left alt without ability to change it? (i got mic on that button)
    - Why rebind Q to request ammo, people now spam it, very irritating as comm.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    The 'Why'-question is easily answered. To test some ideas and get feedback. So get back on your feed (...), test 2 days and comment on these feature changes.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2012
    The only explanation for the current wall jump I can think of is that the new physics broke it and there was no time left to fix it.

I instantly fall down in a 45° degree ankle no matter how I do it.

Is there any chance you can hot fix this?

Edit: can't say much about blink yet. I wouldn't say it's bad, I have to get used to it first I guess.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    RIP skill based skulk movement lol.. spamming between two walls to get max speed is not skillful, sorry.
    Dropping weapons by armory only is smart change, pretty dumb being able to do delayed sg rush and converting it to gls.
    Biggest change in this patch 2 balance is lol-exo (but its pretty expensive pres wise), and tres equipment/lifeforms (has potential to change a lot)...
  • dushandushan Breaker of Games Join Date: 2011-10-30 Member: 130202Members, NS2 Developer, Squad Five Blue, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1967857:date=Aug 28 2012, 05:08 PM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ Aug 28 2012, 05:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only explanation for the current wall jump I can think of is that the new physics broke it and there was no time left to fix it.

I instantly fall down in a 45° degree ankle no matter how I do it.

Is there any chance you can hot fix this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I probably borked the wall jump. I'm too much of a newb to pull it off so I didn't test it. It will be fixed in the next patch.

NeoRussia, I'm sorry we didn't live up to your expectations.
  • DFCDFC Join Date: 2012-08-25 Member: 156444Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1967865:date=Aug 29 2012, 04:21 AM:name=dushan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dushan @ Aug 29 2012, 04:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I probably borked the wall jump. I'm too much of a newb to pull it off so I didn't test it. It will be fixed in the next patch.

NeoRussia, I'm sorry we didn't live up to your expectations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Care to mention who's great idea was to remove marine's health from commander view? who was it that said "hey, commander can see his teams heath waaay to easily, instead of a nice health bar let's make a tiny circle around each marine so comm. has to hover his cursor over individual marine to actually be able to tell who needs help" care to hear your thoughts.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1967865:date=Aug 28 2012, 09:21 PM:name=dushan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dushan @ Aug 28 2012, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I probably borked the wall jump. I'm too much of a newb to pull it off so I didn't test it. It will be fixed in the next patch.

NeoRussia, I'm sorry we didn't live up to your expectations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really appreciate seeing this. It's good to know someone can admit to making a mistake. Hope to see it when it's working better :)
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1967860:date=Aug 29 2012, 11:10 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Aug 29 2012, 11:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->RIP skill based skulk movement lol.. spamming between two walls to get max speed is not skillful, sorry.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure i agree, but you can't deny that its impossible to get air now. There was the walljump exploit that took advantage of the way momentum was stored and speed didn't update instantly, and there was normall walljumping to get to places. Walljump might as well literally not be in game given how little of a boost it gives - you did need to chain them to make use of it. Seems to be a worrying trend of constantly reducing skulk movement control from build to build whether it be air control or the ability to get air in the first place.

Back to 7 speed floor skulking we all go i guess. Kinda boring imho.

*edit* oh nvm. bug is it.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1967871:date=Aug 28 2012, 09:25 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Aug 28 2012, 09:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967871"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Back to 7 speed floor skulking we all go i guess. Kinda boring imho.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

radical idea: leave it like this so people start actually getting celerity, and win fights because of movement instead of armor numbers

..then watch the game suddenly play <i>much </i>more like NS
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1967869:date=Aug 29 2012, 01:24 AM:name=DFC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DFC @ Aug 29 2012, 01:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967869"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Care to mention who's great idea was to remove marine's health from commander view? who was it that said "hey, commander can see his teams heath waaay to easily, instead of a nice health bar let's make a tiny circle around each marine so comm. has to hover his cursor over individual marine to actually be able to tell who needs help" care to hear your thoughts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Might be an oversight, asked the same question internally. You can still make use of hot groups to highlight your marines though, a current workaround? I'm sure it is an oversight though as multiple HuD areas got an overhaul...
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1967874:date=Aug 29 2012, 11:27 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Aug 29 2012, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967874"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->radical idea: leave it like this so people start actually getting celerity, and win fights because of movement instead of armor numbers

..then watch the game suddenly play <i>much </i>more like NS<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No one said anything about carapace - believe me i hated it as much as you. What i was talking about is very much movement based - walljumping. Let me put it to you this way.

There are several problems with what you are proposing.

1) Celerity should not be the best upgrade. MC first predominance was a problem with NS1, not an asset.
    2) Vanilla skulk with no upgrades shoudl still be early game viable. Celerity should not be such a necessity.
    3) Celerity is non-skill based. It is simply a flat increase in speed and does not solve our movement/aiming skill scaling problem.
    4) We want build diversity including fast hives and other chamber paths being viable.
    5) Celerity does not give you air. You're still floor skulking.

Properly functioning walljumping (without exploit speeds etc.), not celerity, is the solution.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    this patch rules !!!!!!!
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    You still gain speed from wallhop, and still probably hit the 20 cap (it would actually take SKILL now)... you just cant ping-pong from wall to wall... Wall floor wall floor works well enough and i would imagine most could get over 10 speed tbh.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't agree with the current economy model.

You can get an Onos in 3 minutes.
    An exosuit in approximately 4 minutes.

I find this really dumb and really ruining the tiering system/economy that I thought worked really well in the previous build.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    This patch is great. Everything runs so smoothly. It's like a dream. A dream where I have a thirst for blood.
    <!--quoteo(post=1967891:date=Aug 29 2012, 11:49 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Aug 29 2012, 11:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967891"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You still gain speed from wallhop, and still probably hit the 20 cap (it would actually take SKILL now)... you just cant ping-pong from wall to wall... Wall floor wall floor works well enough and i would imagine most could get over 10 speed tbh.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    mmm i guess so.

Anyway, my problem really is with walljump dropping you onto the floor almost like negative acceleration instead of jumping you in the direction you wanted to go. Not really so much any of the speed related business. Just plain and simple movement control.. ><.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    Walljumping is broken and it's a bug, put the pitchforks down people.

That said, this would be a good time to fix walljumping for the next version; it had serious balance issues in the last build.

Preferably I'd like the whole mechanic reworked -- the energy storing is pretty silly -- and instead be based on air acceleration. Barring that, just lowering the speed cap to 12 would at least make it somewhat balanced.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1967857:date=Aug 28 2012, 06:08 PM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ Aug 28 2012, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only explanation for the current wall jump I can think of is that the new physics broke it and there was no time left to fix it.

I instantly fall down in a 45° degree ankle no matter how I do it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is known.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1967910:date=Aug 28 2012, 08:16 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Aug 28 2012, 08:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967910"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Walljumping is broken and it's a bug, put the pitchforks down people.

That said, this would be a good time to fix walljumping for the next version; it had serious balance issues in the last build.

Preferably I'd like the whole mechanic reworked -- the energy storing is pretty silly -- and instead be based on air acceleration. Barring that, just lowering the speed cap to 12 would at least make it somewhat balanced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agree! speed cap is badly needed.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1967815:date=Aug 29 2012, 12:17 AM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Aug 29 2012, 12:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967815"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- <b>Can't drop weapons as commander unless it's beside an armoury</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This was a good change imo.
  • mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
    Eeek, I was really worried about wall jumping untill dushan posted. Thanks for clearing that up...
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1967954:date=Aug 28 2012, 09:23 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Aug 28 2012, 09:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This was a good change imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why?
    If it costs tres to drop weapons, why not be able to drop them when the situation demands it?

I hope parasite glow is more distinguishable from team mates in the future, having the exact shape shown through walls is weird - preferred it some 10 builds ago.

Still can't choose where I spawn as marine or alien.

Just played a couple games, patch is definitely amazing.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1967865:date=Aug 29 2012, 03:21 AM:name=dushan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dushan @ Aug 29 2012, 03:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I probably borked the wall jump. I'm too much of a newb to pull it off so I didn't test it. It will be fixed in the next patch.

Thanks for the reply, I knew this couldn't have been intended. If your physics changes are responsible for my performance increase, I can live with it (for now ;)).

OT:

After playing some hours, I have to say I like most changes. Only public experience though.
  • stinghawkstinghawk Join Date: 2005-07-30 Member: 57159Members
    edited August 2012
    I'm sure all of the blatant negative changes will be adjusted soon enough, before 1.0

In regards to the exo suits. I believe that they are flawed in several ways.

1. They can't go through phase gates. I don't get it but not a big deal
    2. I fail to understand the bullet spread. When I aim I just try to have my target in the circle and hope I hit the damn skulks.
    3. They can't build structures. Why?!
    4. And this is the one that bothered me the most, they can't be beaconed back to a base.... As a commander I had established a second base in pipeline while aliens had two hives. Game was even. Exo suits were done with weapons and armor 2. All of a sudden onoses are raping my expansion. Half my team were in exo suits. I was sure we would hold until I found out half my team and all of my damage power didn't get teleported (players in exos).

These issues are more of a problem in public games where cohesion and synergy occur less than in a competitive format. But still. If you research exos, most of your players are going to want to save up for it. Once they were done researching half of my team bought one, i know they just got released but the same would happen if I had gotten jetpacks. I dropped res towers and nobody could build them. And since imho they aren't huge damage dealers, they shouldn't be so limited. I'd much rather get jetpacks for my team.
    <!--quoteo(post=1967980:date=Aug 29 2012, 06:24 AM:name=stinghawk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stinghawk @ Aug 29 2012, 06:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm sure all of the blatant negative changes will be adjusted soon enough, before 1.0

I'm regards to the exo suits. I believe that they are flawed in several ways.

1. They can't go through phase gates. I don't get it but not a big deal
    2. I fail to understand the bullet spread. When I aim I just try to have my targrt in tr circle and hope I hit the damn skulks.
    3. They can't build structures. Why?!
    4. And this is the one that bothered me the most, they can't be beaconed back to a base.... As a commander I had established a second base in pipeline while aliens had two hives. Game was even. Exo suits were done with weapons and armor 2. All of a sudden onoses are raping my expansion. Half my team were in exo suits. I was sure we would hold until I found out half my team and all of my damage power didn't get teleported (players in exos).

These issues are more of a problem in public games where cohesion and synergy occur less than in a competitive format. But still. If you research exos, most of your players are going to want to save up for it. Once they were done researching half of my team bought one, i know they just got released but the same would happen if I had gotten jetpacks. I dropped res towers and nobody could build them. And since imho they aren't huge damage dealers, they shouldn't be so limited. I'd much rather get jetpacks for my team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I especially like that. Gives you drawbacks for being a full exo team.
  • BitcrusherBitcrusher Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156628Members
    edited August 2012
    Learn to Exo, it is plenty strong. It is a tradeoff for the massive firepower, also it doesn't need ammo.
  • stinghawkstinghawk Join Date: 2005-07-30 Member: 57159Members
    I like the idea of drawbacks too. Especially that exos can't weld each other. But they should be able to get beaconed and go through phase gates.