co_Core remake (Alpha 6 just released!)

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    You've done a great job on this map. Looks sexy, plays sexy. My favorite combat map. Finish it up <3
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great work! Can't wait to test it out.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    wow! just awesome! I love the distinct colours and style you've nailed with core.
    glad to see you back on the horse man!
  • LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I'd love to play on this one!
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Great work Rudy! The map looks great and plays well as always.

The only issue I noticed was on the smaller of the automatic doors on the top floor as a skulk it felt like there was a small push trigger or forcefield in the doorway. At some angles it would block me from getting through, but when after some struggle I did manage to get through. This might just be an issue with the door trigger? Or is it just me?
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    From the game we played last night, it looks like the new marine spawn exit - the long hallways - becomes this stand-off area where marines are firing from one end, and gorges and lerks fire from the other. I liked the old exit a lot more, both as alien and as marine.

And I also got stuck on that door just like DarkSeraph. At the time I was a fade, and there was a shotgun-wielding marine next to me. No fun. :p
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Brilliant use of color and lighting in those screenshots, not sure about changing the entrances around though.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    edited November 2013
    Thanks folks for all the feedback :)

The problem with MS<->Central struck me right after I finished the change, but I didn't wanted to delay the update any further. I have published the fix.

The problem with door entities lies probably somewhere between NS2 net-code and Extra Entities in Combat. I think the issue becomes problematic especially with increased latency on server side. I will try to find some workaround.

As for other issues, I am still not sure about MJ<->Central. I will evaluate this change after few more games played on new Core. But I am inclined to revert it back... But the thing is who will choose the Marine Junction if it is longer route? :-/
    Just quick reminder about todays update. Finished new Alien Junction <-> Alien Spawn route. Slightly adjusted the vent system, added some sounds, particles and reflection probes.

This is the version I want to stick with for some time and subject it to thorough testing. I hope I will make it to the SCC playtest this Sunday !
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    great remake, however it's too easy for marine to spawn camp alien hive.
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    NS-Soldier wrote: »
    great remake, however it's too easy for marine to spawn camp alien hive.

Have you ever played core in NS1? It was worse.
    xtcmen wrote: »

Well, this still does not make the situation satisfactory. I am looking in to the ways how to improve the Alien Spawn, but my options are quite limited because the layout of Core is really packed and there is not much room to add.

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Rudy.cz wrote: »
    xtcmen wrote: »

Well, this still does not make the situation satisfactory. I am looking in to the ways how to improve the Alien Spawn, but my options are quite limited because the layout of Core is really packed and there is not much room to add.

You can probably move the core (all together with props and stuff) to "extend" the room. So the core will be far from the doorways. Then add some obstacles in between. If it looks ok this would save hours. At least you would have a testable map.

You can probably move the core (all together with props and stuff) to "extend" the room. So the core will be far from the doorways. Then add some obstacles in between. If it looks ok this would save hours. At least you would have a testable map.

Well, that is exactly the thing that I want to avoid, because such changes are really painful to do in Spark (all the texture alignments will go haywire). I am keeping that one as the last option.

First I will try to break the long sight of line for marines coming to Alien Spawn from cave and add more vents and cover to make skulk ambushes easier.

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Rudy.cz wrote: »

Well, that is exactly the thing that I want to avoid, because such changes are really painful to do in Spark (all the texture alignments will go haywire). I am keeping that one as the last option.

First I will try to break the long sight of line for marines coming to Alien Spawn from cave and add more vents and cover to make skulk ambushes easier.

Not scaling, moving. So there are only a little bunch of faces that are "distorted". then add new faces with line tool.
    ____+
    --- |----+
         (0  |
    ---  ----+
      / /

would become:
    ____+
    --- |   ----+
            (0  |
    ---     ----+
      / /

Then you fill, ex:
    ____+
    --- | +-----+
          | (0  |
    ---  |  ----+
      / /

• BlasphemyBlasphemy Join Date: 2008-05-02 Member: 64201Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Wow its super easy to snipe the hive from the middle with Arcs. GG.

FCCD503DFDB1A9336DC67F53C2E628260C893643

;)
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It also has no CommanderInvisible geometry. :(
    edited December 2013
    no, just no. - removed - GISP
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    hahaah was a crazy game but in commander mode it would be nice to see the ground to many things blocking my vision !
    I am planning to clear up the commander view, just because of the spectator mode. But it si really annoying task and is the lowest priority :)
    :D We had a total lollergame then, was about 4on4 or something, without combat mod turned on. Turret farms and arc range for the win. ;)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Speaking of which, have you thought about making a full ns2 map out of it? You could try some crazy experimental tiny layout just to see how it plays
    edited December 2013
    Well,
    moultano wrote: »
    Speaking of which, have you thought about making a full ns2 map out of it? You could try some crazy experimental tiny layout just to see how it plays

Well I see no reason why not :-), could be fun. I want to do commander optimizations anyways (for spectators), so I can put one tech point in the center and add resourcepoints to Marine/Alien junction.

edited December 2013
    Hey, been working on the Core whole weekend. I have adjusted the entrance from central to alien junction, now I feel that is less marine friendly. Also there is new, better vent for skulks to enter the central and ambush marines.

Here, a screenshot.

co_core33b.jpg

Also in previous update I made a small new area, maybe some of you have noticed already

co_core34b.jpg

(Water texture by Howser :))

Also fixed that hole @Flaterectomy forgot to report to me ;)

Any feedback welcome, also I would like to do some playtesting on Tuesday again.
    I knew you'd find it regardless! :P

Actually, I don't even recall it anymore now. :}
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Found an issue: Fades can't comfortably fit through the doorway to that small stairwall area near alien start. Sometimes they can, and other times they can't. Got trapped in there with a shotgunner once :( If you just widen up the doorway just a little bit that should fix it.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    I heard core uses water mod, is this true!?

It's true!, co_core has watermod in it!
    0C1Ldna.jpg
    7GNwctJ.jpg
    BUG: That grate there needs collision, you get caught on it, and needs big signs pointing to the "secret room" with water in it :P
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Where IS this? I can't seem to find it.