Relative res loss by team

ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
edited August 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">someone needs to write a script</div>Someone needs to write a script which calculates the total res lost in a game due to being dead. I'm quite sure, and it should come as no surprise, that the resources lost by aliens is wildly more than that lost by marines. My question is whether or not this was the intended outcome.

This res loss already puts the interests of the player at odds with the interests of the team (something you should never ever ever do), but was it intended to nerf alien income as heavily as it does? At the moment, I have started to see a rather clever strategy begin to emerge on the marine side. Let the aliens take as many resource points as they want, they can take the whole map for all it matters. As long as the marines simply go to the hive room and kill aliens, the resource towers won't mean a thing. They can effectively cut off the entire alien teams income without even spreading into the rest of the map.

Comments

• spawnehspawneh Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22480Members
    Does resource income come in at a flat rate per person (depending on # of harvesters), or is it a certain amount divided amongst all the players who are alive. If changed to the latter, perhaps that could provide an interesting strategy. You would want your better players to get pres faster, but you would also want them to help hold areas. Of course this could also bring back the idea of "res ######s."
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965655:date=Aug 22 2012, 01:19 AM:name=spawneh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spawneh @ Aug 22 2012, 01:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does resource income come in at a flat rate per person (depending on # of harvesters), or is it a certain amount divided amongst all the players who are alive. If changed to the latter, perhaps that could provide an interesting strategy. You would want your better players to get pres faster, but you would also want them to help hold areas. Of course this could also bring back the idea of "res ######s."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Although this does sound quite interesting, and has a lot of strategic merit, I think such a system would be used almost exclusively in "competitive games". Maybe that would be acceptable though, I suppose it is an example of putting a game mechanic to greater use as you get better at the game, which is always good design. People also wouldn't feel like dying was such a bad thing for the team.