Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 216 changelog

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    ::shrug:: at least its easier to fix?
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960966:date=Aug 11 2012, 01:21 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Aug 11 2012, 01:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960966"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->::shrug:: at least its easier to fix?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nuke it, nuke the entire alien upgrade system. At this point, it's a complete joke.
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    I think that if marines lose their arms lab they should have to start their upgrades over from the beginning. Aliens have to start their upgrades over so it seems fair to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    It really is a small thing, but why, after opening the server browser and clicking on the ping tab does it have to sort it from highest to lowest ping first?

I assume that could be changed quite easily.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1961011:date=Aug 11 2012, 09:29 AM:name=Krull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krull @ Aug 11 2012, 09:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It really is a small thing, but why, after opening the server browser and clicking on the ping tab does it have to sort it from highest to lowest ping first?

I assume that could be changed quite easily.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can click it again to reverse the list order from low to high already, once that is done it should be the default setting even :)

-still need more filtering options and a server details window.
  • LXJLXJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155188Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960560:date=Aug 10 2012, 08:53 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Aug 10 2012, 08:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960560"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- The Hive/CommandStation health indicator will be shrunk and made to look prettier soon.
    - The red Hive/CommandStation indicators will be changed to more accurately reflect your team's current knowledge of the existence of that Hive/CommandStation (ie, Cloak). But note that they don't show up until they are sighted by members of your team. I've watched tons of new players struggle with the game and not knowing where to go, that's why<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Option to disable it, it looks ugly and ruins the atmosphere of the game.

Parasite is pointless now, as it disappears after a period of time and when they hump the armoury.

This game is becoming a joke.
  • DeKayDeKay Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67752Members
    Eeeew! The new repairing loading bars are.... wuargh :>
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    <!--quoteo(post=1961016:date=Aug 11 2012, 04:46 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Aug 11 2012, 04:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can click it again to reverse the list order from low to high already, once that is done it should be the default setting even :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Of course I know I can click it again, but who would sort the server list from high to low anyway?

Everytime I start the game I have to click it twice to get the result I want.

As said, it's small request, but I don't think it's a difficult task.
  • Salraine_ChiSalraine_Chi Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107669Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Enjoyed a good long session on 216 last night with some good long games with wins for both sides in equal amounts. Performance has improved a lot and I welcome the armoury healing armour again (with strings attached) but feel a slightly slower health and armour regen would be better as its still fairly quick to fully heal up.

Hit reg seems better as I found killing Skulks much easier and died a lot when playing as a Skulk. Killed 3 Fades in a row last night which is a first for me. Only minutes apart too and as an average player I didn't think it seemed right when the lifeform costs so much. Its still lethal in the hands of a very good Fade which it should be but wonder if the nerfs will be good for it in the long run.

Screen clutter is getting unbearable now. I see many posts about this and yes the extended HUD info is great for new players but the option to turn them off is desperately needed. Maybe one key like BF has to disable them or the option to turn off certain parts of it. The big red hive/CC is particular annoying and distracting. Dont like the build bar at all. The info is already on the build tool so its really not needed and the percentage in small letters was perfect on its own.

A few bugs which may or may not have been reported:

Kills/deaths not appearing on the scoreboard. I died three times in a row during one match yet my deaht tally didn't change. Same happened several times when kills didn't show on the board. I also saw lots of wrong team win/lose messages at the round end. When losing as Alien for example the message would say "Aliens Win". This may be giving a false balance reading for the stats if it records a win when it should not have been.

Good job on 216 though UW, its shaping up nicely.
  • quintoxquintox Join Date: 2008-11-27 Member: 65594Members
    I liked how you guys did the build progress bars in NS1, it was big enough to notice but it didn't annoy the player. Those circles on the ground arround buildings with the Red/yellow/green color combination. That sort of was what you'r trying to do now, but it didn't clutter the screen at all.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Lot of the noob features hurt quite a bit welding / hive hp / etc need to be tuned down. Dissappointing to see armory welding again, I highly doubt it the "energy" makes any real difference in its effectiveness.

Did not experience hitching the few games I played.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    1. Couple of times I've seen the wrong win/loss message appear at game end. Ie aliens win but I see aliens lose/marines win message. Don't know if it happened to everyone on the server or just me.

2. Armory energy system is too fast. I don't think I've ever seen an armory out of energy when I wanted to use it.

3. Had a couple times where everyone on the sever got a complete lockup for several seconds.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1960924:date=Aug 10 2012, 11:55 PM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Aug 10 2012, 11:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Carapace, Adrenaline, and Feign Death are now the 3 staple upgrades thanks to the upgrade limitations. Anything else is a pure waste of t.res to even research.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yup. Don't like this, and don't think time will improve my disposition.

I have also had several games where the incorrect winning image has been displayed, at least 3 times. Also noticed that when slightly laggy the game will cause players to freak out, spinning around and teleporting all over the place. Only happened in one game, but it was with every player about 90% of the time.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    I keep getting game freezes while joining servers.
    Can't pull the console, and the Loading.. circle stops rotating completely. Ctrl+Alt+Del is the only way out.
    Maybe this has something to do with the recent shader changes during the loadup?
    Didn't have this problem before 216.

Also, the changes to parasite are really destroying the skulks 'scouting' role by being time based.
    It would be much better if only Advanced Armory could remove parasites and repair armor.

And the armory having energy for giving back health..
    What purpose does that serve? Making marines stay in base, for an even longer period of time?
  • TquilaTquila Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70738Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1961060:date=Aug 11 2012, 02:10 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Aug 11 2012, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Couple of times I've seen the wrong win/loss message appear at game end. Ie aliens win but I see aliens lose/marines win message. Don't know if it happened to everyone on the server or just me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've seen this too, and I was wondering if it may actually be more than just the wrong string being shown. Could it possibly have something to do with the 50/50 win rate there's been recorded? Because obviously if the games are showing the wrong winner, there's a real possibility of the statistics being wrong as well.

Another thing I've seen a few times:

1) A lot more crashes of the servers as of late.
    2) Commander bug, where the camera wont move (both sides it happens to at the same time apparently). - this also resulted in the entire server going fubar where we couldn't join the readyroom after the match.
  • KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
    I am having an absolute blast with 216 after 3 or so hours. The balance is as close as I have yet to experience and the game is beginning to run really well even in late game. That being said:

I still feel that a regular armory is too good when it can heal armor and I think this should be reserved for the advanced armory. Cause I mean it's great fun for marines when they have a forward armory now, but boy is it a pain for aliens.

Also now that aliens can only get one upgrade from each hive I feel that it was entirely unwarranted to nerf regen, cause why on earth would you pick regen over carapace now? I think the upgrades need to be looked at and tweaked so it doesn't end up with aliens only choosing 3 stable upgrades each and every time.

I know this has been said many times now, but it is thoroughly annoying to have CCs/Hives always on your HUD when they have been discovered. For instance together with enormous waypoint markers they sometimes obstruct my line of fire as a marine making it harder to spot skulks in the distance. I can fully understand that it is a good tool for new players and I am not saying you should remove it, but please make it an option to turn off and I'd be really grateful.

I am just going to trust you guys on the progress bar when you build stuff and the temp shader effect on parasited marines, even though it is an incredible eyesore right now. Make it look good and I won't have any problems with them.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=Aug 11 2012 02:10 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Aug 11 2012 02:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Couple of times I've seen the wrong win/loss message appear at game end. Ie aliens win but I see aliens lose/marines win message. Don't know if it happened to everyone on the server or just me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1961068:date=Aug 11 2012, 07:54 AM:name=Kola)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kola @ Aug 11 2012, 07:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961068"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've seen this too, and I was wondering if it may actually be more than just the wrong string being shown. Could it possibly have something to do with the 50/50 win rate there's been recorded? Because obviously if the games are showing the wrong winner, there's a real possibility of the statistics being wrong as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really wonder if this wrong win/lose message is screwing up their win/lose ratio that they now say is more even????
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1961151:date=Aug 11 2012, 09:35 AM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Aug 11 2012, 09:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961151"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really wonder if this wrong win/lose message is screwing up their win/lose ratio that they now say is more even????<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:#aadd00--><span style="color:#aadd00"><!--/coloro-->Maybe, though that metric is generally pointless, tracking the circumstances of said wins (Game length, res statistics, average scores, percentages of lifeforms/weapons used, ect.) make more sense.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    playing marines feels so different now that hit reg is "fixed". first time playing this patch went on 9 kill streak right out of the gate. got asked "since when can you aim?" to which i replied since hit reg was fixed. feels good man.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1961158:date=Aug 11 2012, 08:58 AM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Aug 11 2012, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961158"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->playing marines feels so different now that hit reg is "fixed". first time playing this patch went on 9 kill streak right out of the gate. got asked "since when can you aim?" to which i replied since hit reg was fixed. feels good man.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:D the DJ returns.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    feedback after playing alot more games
    <!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro--><b>Like</b>
    + New menu / Fullscreen windowed
    + Insight
    + Hydra changes
    + Welder hit reg improvement
    + Energy cost changes although the bellyslide one was weird.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>Dislike</b>
    - Lerk flap energy. Clashes with spike viability and makes adrenaline the only sane choice.
    - New regen useless on higher lifeforms. Redundant upgrade problem (50% of possible dc upgrades).
    - UI clutter / progress bar hacks.
    - Movement sliding when you let go of movement keys.
    - No proper gorge spit sprite. Can't tell how fast spit balls are going and where i shuld be aiming as there is now no visual feedback on their travel. Instead we have a dumbed down 'fake' spitball. Pretty but not useful at all.
    - Parasite changes<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Potential Problems</b>
    - MAC weld rate is much too high but has slow and clunky target acquisition loop.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<b>Area's of high concern still around unrelated to b216 changelog</b>
    - Fade has no momentum, very little skillfull movement, no metabolize. Very 'static' power of fade across skill levels favouring the lower end - causing fade tech explosions to be more powerful than they should be (alot of other factors causing this too but not just energy costs).
    - The numbers for carapace onos arn't viable. The ammount of extra ehp you get for the speed loss is too little, or the speed loss too much.
    - Marine sprint still as fast as base skulk speed without weapons.
    - Slight delay from click to fire which causes perceived hit reg problems when shooting fast aliens, especially with pistol.
    - Soft collision contributing to chaotic combat by creating too much unpredictable slip and sliding. Marines have too much butter on them.
    - Choke still occurs heavily in end game.
    - Marine movement related although that's a whole different topic
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    I'm not sure the onos speed reduction is that bad now with the buff to charge actually. I mean a 12% speed reduction isn't that bad now that you can reasonably charge away if needed with the reduced cooldown period.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    After playing B216 some more, I'm going to say something that I never thought I'd actually say.....I think marines are op now. Against anyone with halfway competent aim, early game skulks and lategame aliens (against jetpacks) die in droves. Midgame, after fades come out but before jetpacks, seem to be the most balanced section of a match now.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited August 2012
    I like the health bars that show up when your in a com room, at least for hives less so for CCs because they tend to be of somewhat lower priority.

Also the new welder hit reg is awesome! You can actually weld people running away from you now!
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1961205:date=Aug 11 2012, 11:38 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 11 2012, 11:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->After playing B216 some more, I'm going to say something that I never thought I'd actually say.....I think marines are op now. Against anyone with halfway competent aim, early game skulks and lategame aliens (against jetpacks) die in droves. Midgame, after fades come out but before jetpacks, seem to be the most balanced section of a match now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

After playing a bunch and watching a few games I think that a few things contribute to aliens being a bit weak late game:

-The aliens sort of lost their endgame siege unit- the onos is really not viable for anything in late game anymore. A 75 p-res giant target dummy for marines, he dies way too quickly. Fades have way more staying power than an Onos.
    -Aliens don't scale. At all. So everything (all the TTKs) are balance around having carapace.

I think the late game JPs are equally matched against fades... though it would be nice to see fade movement/momentum improved it is possible to fight JPs effectively now.

As for early game I think that it's time for marine sprint to be removed. It's unneeded now and it gives them arguably more mobility than aliens in early game which is ridiculous and can make it incredibly difficult for aliens to hold/take a second hive. Remove sprint, maybe up the base marine walking speed a tiny bit and there you go. Marine RT build time could also go up a few seconds imo too. At the moment 2 marines building an RT gets it up nearly as fast as a nanoconsruct did.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1961205:date=Aug 11 2012, 02:38 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 11 2012, 02:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->After playing B216 some more, I'm going to say something that I never thought I'd actually say.....I think marines are op now. Against anyone with halfway competent aim, early game skulks and lategame aliens (against jetpacks) die in droves. Midgame, after fades come out but before jetpacks, seem to be the most balanced section of a match now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And anyone who's competent enough and with enough understanding of how the game will play over an extended period of time, as performance improves and marines get flushed out could see this coming miles away. Yet the masses still cried in droves over how strong aliens were, effectively drowning out any suggestions or ideas that could have prevented this many patches ago.

But it's okay, exosuits will fix everything!!!!11!11!
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for early game I think that it's time for marine sprint to be removed. It's unneeded now and it gives them arguably more mobility than aliens in early game which is ridiculous and can make it incredibly difficult for aliens to hold/take a second hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

10 - 20 second wave spawn timers are a considerable factor here too.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1961311:date=Aug 11 2012, 06:26 PM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Aug 11 2012, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961311"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->10 - 20 second wave spawn timers are a considerable factor here too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yea wave spawns are way too long.
  • HellstrofHellstrof Join Date: 2012-08-11 Member: 155459Members
    5 cents from a new player there. I played only a week before the last patch but still it looks kinda ridiculous for me.

— Flap cost for Lerk is a joke. Now marines can even don't pay much attention for them.
    — Onoses are useless. Fades much more capable tanks. Onos just too slow, nice target for marines, while fade can fly and do all sort of crazy stuff.
    — Newborn skulk dies from one shot of level 3 shotgun, while newborn marine gets all upgrades automatically and it means — have a chance against advanced skulk. Balance, you say?
    — Only one upgrade from particular tree?

— 10 res for a jet-pack is a joke. It's gives too much mobility and makes marines almost immune to skulks and onoses. If marines secure their base with the lab (and they have a plenty of ways to do so), they can just keep spamming with JPs and it will be a guaranteed win. Two marines with JPs and grenade launchers can take a hive and there nothing that newborn skulks can do about it.
    — Infinite stamina and ability to just run from skulk is a joke too.
  • RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
    I'd like to see them experiment with removing spawn timers at all for the aliens and just making it dependant on egg production speed. Meaning shifts now have a purpose, and multiple hives have a more direct impact on skulk power.