HALP! No sound and cannot connect to games?

ICha0sIICha0sI Join Date: 2002-06-13 Member: 763Members
<div class="IPBDescription">information inside</div>Hey guys, I just preordered ns2 from the website, and put the code into steam. Got ns2 downloaded and installed. started it up and noticed no sound on the menu screen... "okay" I think, "maybe when i join a game?" so I try to join several games and i get the error "Couldn't establish ocnnection with server". My internet is working fine and I verified the cache and then reinstalled. same problem, cannot even create a game myself to test stuff... Anyone have any advice to help me out here? I just bought this and wanna play :[

Comments

• [HEI] Spade[HEI] Spade Join Date: 2012-04-28 Member: 151223Members, Squad Five Blue
    Restart Steam to see. Your firewall or antivirus can block the connection, check it.
  • ICha0sIICha0sI Join Date: 2002-06-13 Member: 763Members
    I will post my appdata log if this helps, all my other sound works fine.. I can't figure it out, anyone help?? D:

"Date: 08/02/12
    Time: 11:42:48
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 215
    Starting Natural Selection 2
    RenderDevice: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ (6.14.12.9573)
    Error: eventSystem->init (Error initializing output device. )
    Sound disabled
    Error: SoundEventProject::Initialize: Event system load failed: sound/ns2.fev : FMOD was not initialized correctly to support this function.
    Error: Invalid format for resource 'sound/ns2.fev'
    Updating of subscribed mods is complete (not subscribed to any mods).
    Error: Sound 'common/menu_confirm' couldn't be loaded (Containing project wasn't loaded)
    Error: Sound 'common/menu_loop' couldn't be loaded (Containing project wasn't loaded)
    Error: Sound 'common/hovar' couldn't be loaded (Containing project wasn't loaded)
    Error: Sound 'common/hovar' couldn't be loaded (Containing project wasn't loaded)
    Error: Sound 'common/open' couldn't be loaded (Containing project wasn't loaded)
    Error: Sound 'common/hovar' couldn't be loaded (Containing project wasn't loaded)"

so it must be something with sound? I had my brother help me build this pc a while back, running sli it's decent i'd excpet to play this game but something with my sound card is loopy and Im not sure which card i've got or where the drivers are, i've been on the internet for a hour googling realtek high definition audio drivers and cannot find anything. just programs to install and tell me i need to pay for them to fix what I need... Anyone got advice?
    Bump for justice. No one has had this problem before me? any suggestions please!? I just paid 35 bucks and expected to play and no one else has my problem.. :[
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Have you tried verifying your game files via steam?
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    edited August 2012
    Seems like a problem with your audio device "Error: eventSystem->init (Error initializing output device. )"

I would try to uninstall and re-install the audio drivers. I guess youre using the onboard audio instead of a separate soundcard. You need to find out your motherboard model/manufacturer, and you can use cpu-z for example for that. <a href="http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html" target="_blank">http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html</a>

Once you know the model, you should be able to download the drivers from the manufacturers website.
    edited August 2012
    I have a sound card im not sure which one it is and not sure how to check.. Bought it from new egg and got rid of box.. Anyone diagnostic tool to scan my sound card so i can get the right drivers that anyones aware of?.. D:

quote " My internet is working fine and I verified the cache and then reinstalled. same problem" first post.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Could you please run dxdiag and post it in here - also try deleting ns2 completely from steam, and re-downloading. TBH it seems like a sound card driver issue, but we wont know until you do a dxdiag.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    Quick googling also reveals similiar issue with some another game using fmod:

"FMOD was not initialized correctly to support this function.

Switching to my on-board sound solution (5.1) fixed the issue, further investigation lead me to be able to run Blades of Time on my Xonar DG by selecting less than 8 channels of audio, meaning the game apparently will not apply 8 samples of audio, or 7.1, one or the other. The options are 5.1 or lower, or 6 or less channels.

Temporary fix: Disable 7.1 or 8 channel audio, 7.1 users can use 5.1 with Dolby Prologic 7.1 Virtual Shifters (Emulation), some Sound cards automatically emulate 7.1 from a 5.1 signal in which case, you shouldn't have this 8 channel issue. Selecting 6 or less channels of audio will avoid this situation."

So it could be worth a try disabling your sound card and/or changing it to use less channels.