ZB Charity Tournament

LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Hosted by s.C Team</div>Hey guys,
I'd like to announce that we will be hosting a tournament for roughly 300 dollars for First Prize depending on the turnout. (May be less with lots of no shows)

I'm posting here to gain interest. Please leave a post with contact information (steam, email, skype, etc) if you wish to participate.
To get in it will be about 10$ (all estimates to participation) and all of your cash in will go to charity to help my relative with cancer.

So please, show your interest!

This will be going on in 2-4 weeks depending on interest shown!

Thanks.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is a great way to get some competitive games going. I will not be participating but I just want to wish support. I hope this goes well
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    A beta tournament with:

- performance issues.
    - hitreg issues.
    - no anti cheat at all
    - major gameplay changes occuring between patches
    - possibly some changes to some maps soon
    - not very good balance or fully fleshed out gameplay of everything
    - missing tech

I dont think there should be a tournament until maybe 1-2 months after 1.0

But maybe there is enough interest still..., dunno how many attempts we had for beta tournaments that pretty much all failed except one very very small one that only had coin flip tiebreaker alien wins except for one team :P (either because of teams jumping of last second, the lack of teams or organizer that cancelled it last second)
  • Linksys_RouterLinksys_Router Join Date: 2012-04-11 Member: 150276Members
    Please, please wait until after release.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    edited July 2012
    I am down for this, and support the good cause. I don't care if the game isn't ready for competitive play yet... this is for a good cause!
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    I would be more then ready to cover this. I also hope you do make some list of rules for tournament (like for example that insight is mandatory, what maps will be played, how will team drafts be resolved etc.)
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2012
    I'm all for having a tournament, but I think you'll have problems finding many participants. AFAIK, there are only two marginally active EU teams and two marginally active NA teams at the moment.

Sorry to say, but competitive ns2 beta is tumbleweed territory. The biggest its ever been was during the ns2hd tournament hype, but even that wasn't anywhere close to 16 teams.

How are you going to use this to raise money when the proposed prize is so much larger than you could ever hope to get from entrance fees though? I don't think this game is prize-ready in any case.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Thanks for the feedback. This was just to raise interest, not set in stone.

I will definitely consider waiting until after 1.0 release after what you guys have said. Thanks!
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1952760:date=Jul 20 2012, 01:35 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Jul 20 2012, 01:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1952760"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How are you going to use this to raise money when the proposed prize is so much larger than you could ever hope to get from entrance fees though? I don't think this game is prize-ready in any case.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree on this, since it's a charity tournament no prize should be given in money/items. Respect should be enough.
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1952742:date=Jul 20 2012, 01:05 AM:name=.ADHd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.ADHd @ Jul 20 2012, 01:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1952742"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am down for this, and support the good cause. I don't care if the game isn't ready for competitive play yet... this is for a good cause!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's great to hear that you want to support cancer research. Have you considered donating to <a href="https://secure.info-komen.org/site/Donation2?idb=1227413115&df_id=7862&7862.donation=form1" target="_blank">Komen.org</a>?
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1952860:date=Jul 20 2012, 02:41 PM:name=hampton)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hampton @ Jul 20 2012, 02:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1952860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's great to hear that you want to support cancer research. Have you considered donating to <a href="https://secure.info-komen.org/site/Donation2?idb=1227413115&df_id=7862&7862.donation=form1" target="_blank">Komen.org</a>?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Komen is a horrible choice....

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_G._Komen_for_the_Cure#Controversy_and_criticism" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_G._Kome...y_and_criticism</a>

Plenty of other organizations to donate to
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1952813:date=Jul 20 2012, 08:29 AM:name=ArcL!ght)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcL!ght @ Jul 20 2012, 08:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1952813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree on this, since it's a charity tournament no prize should be given in money/items. Respect should be enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Clearly as I said the money side of things would be adjusted appropriately so that money was raised from the entry costs and that there is still incentive to play because of a prize. As nice as it is to support a good cause, money prizes help those that don't really want to cash in with no personal gain. Just being realistic.

And it would be 5-10 bucks a person, not per team. So you'd be looking at good amount of surplus over the cost to have a prize.

But this also plays into how much interest and participation we would get, as people said.. it's probably not going to get good activity until after release..

So I'll be taking that advice and waiting.