Countering jetpacks

Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Without making non jetpack marines useless</div>So i was thinking, there are difficulties involved when you try to implement a counter for jetpacks (like a lerk buff) because then, if that coutner is played (i.e. early lerks before jetpacks), then the non jetpack marines dont have a chance.

It occours to me, that a good way to solve this, is to make the hitbox for jetpacks *slightly* larger.

The jetpack is a bit of kit you wear, so it makes sense that it would make you bigger, and this would make the jetpacker slightly easier to hit for all lifeforms, without making it incredibly easy to hit with a specific lifeform.

Normal marines would still be useful, jet packs would still be maneuverable and have an decent supply of gas, you would just have to be a little more careful to leave range between yourself and aliens forcing you to concentrate more on dodging, and less on aiming.

best regards,
Hunter

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    make it so you have to fall half what you gained in order to change direction, so jetpacking forward and an onos in your face? fall down and jetpack backwards or die.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    Seems to me increasing the damage and general accuracy on spikes would also be a good counter.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    I think a bigger hitbox, less fuel capacity (ie more landings) & general hitreg optimizing will balance the JP.

Thats gonna take a little while tho..
  • -Azona--Azona- Join Date: 2012-04-07 Member: 150074Members
    edited June 2012
    make people get more skills and stop whining, JP is not OP, you just terrible aliens.

If you want JP nerfed, then lerks need nerfed as well, more energy cost on all there abilitys and wait, engery cost on flying, lerks can fly for ever so unfair to JP that only limited, whine whine lerks need engery cost on flapping there wings, whine whine.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1946977:date=Jun 27 2012, 11:17 AM:name=-Azona-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Azona- @ Jun 27 2012, 11:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946977"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->make people get more skills and stop whining, JP is not OP, you just terrible aliens.

If you want JP nerfed, then lerks need nerfed as well, more energy cost on all there abilitys and wait, engery cost on flying, lerks can fly for ever so unfair to JP that only limited, whine whine lerks need engery cost on flapping there wings, whine whine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I thought your other posts about lerks was serious but now I see you're just trolling.
    Try playing aliens more than marines once.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1946948:date=Jun 27 2012, 07:51 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Jun 27 2012, 07:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946948"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seems to me increasing the damage and general accuracy on spikes would also be a good counter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think that the lerk should be the counter unit to the jetpack. It can't be the way to go that aliens have to spend 30res to kill a 10res unit properly.

I think the the jetpack has to have a trade off, spending 10res isn't enough. Could be a lot of things, like manoeuvrability, decreased ammo capacity, losing the pistol, not being able to shoot while flying (maybe able to while falling), etc.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1946920:date=Jun 27 2012, 07:37 AM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Jun 27 2012, 07:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946920"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->make it so you have to fall half what you gained in order to change direction, so jetpacking forward and an onos in your face? fall down and jetpack backwards or die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Too complicated, new players will get stuck on this too much and get frustrated.

<!--quoteo(post=1946948:date=Jun 27 2012, 09:51 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Jun 27 2012, 09:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946948"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seems to me increasing the damage and general accuracy on spikes would also be a good counter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Would make the lerk too strong overall, for instance vs unequipped marines.

<!--quoteo(post=1947262:date=Jun 28 2012, 06:53 AM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Jun 28 2012, 06:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think that the lerk should be the counter unit to the jetpack. It can't be the way to go that aliens have to spend 30res to kill a 10res unit properly.

I think the the jetpack has to have a trade off, spending 10res isn't enough. Could be a lot of things, like manoeuvrability, decreased ammo capacity, losing the pistol, not being able to shoot while flying (maybe able to while falling), etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree that the lerk should not be the single counter to the jetpack. In fact, I don't think it is. Skulks can leap, fades can blink (and as of 211, again swipe without delay after blink), onos can stomp them when they land etc. - all aliens have something to bring vs the jetpacks.

The biggest concern I have with the JP is that it has no downsides, no weaknesses. You get more mobility for only 10pres and that's it.

Increasing the hitbox isn't really an option, because the hitbox has to correspond with the actual model, else it feels off and an even bigger wall of complaints would be set up at the forum.

The only things I can think of right now: 1. Fix the resource system (is being worked on, hard). 2. reduce JP fuel.

I think a combo of those two would make things right. We'll see though, we'll see. :)
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    Make bilebomb clog up the jets for a few seconds. Hit a marine with bilebomb and he gets maybe 1/3 the lift force of normal. So he can still fly, but only barely, for a couple of seconds, allowing the primarily ground and melee aliens to have a chance to take him out.
  • TheTopMostDogTheTopMostDog Join Date: 2011-12-18 Member: 138390Members
    edited June 2012
    Lower the effectiveness of jetpacks the closer the marine is to infestation. Explain it by emphasizing the terraforming to the atmosphere that is taking place with the spread of infestation.

Scale it so that a jetpack has pretty much no vertical thrust once in a hive room. AND/OR Reduce the regeneration rate of fuel while over infestation.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1947585:date=Jun 28 2012, 10:14 PM:name=TheTopMostDog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheTopMostDog @ Jun 28 2012, 10:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lower the effectiveness of jetpacks the closer the marine is to infestation. Explain it by emphasizing the terraforming to the atmosphere that is taking place with the spread of infestation.

Scale it so that a jetpack has pretty much no vertical thrust once in a hive room. AND/OR Reduce the regeneration rate of fuel while over infestation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This could be a cool change. Since it is way to easy for the marines to fly around in the hive room and kill the hive. The jet pack would allow them to get easier in the room but would require more skill to actually kill the hive.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Maybe as Alien comm you could deploy a mist either from the hive or even cysts that would clog up the JPs and cause them to malfunction.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    I actually think that nerfing the jetpack in the hive room would be unintuitive, and confusing for newbies, i also think that now fades have blink-swipe delay removed, this is less of an issue, if skulks get more air on their jumps in the future, it will be even less of an issue.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    edited July 2012
    Less horizontal acceleration, and more vertical acceleration. In my opinion, its the speed at which jetpackers travel and how easily mobile they are that keeps people from getting frags.

A good jetpacker should never get hit by a skulks or even multiple skulks on any occasion... due to how fast you can get away.

At least in ns1 it took skill to move around the map with a jetpack... as if you simply held down jump you would hit the ceiling in seconds and have not moved forward much at all.

So it made jetpacks good for evasion, but not outrunning every lifeform.

If they made skulk movement not abysmal, perhaps we would have a chance at killing jetpackers.
  • KuikiKuiki Join Date: 2012-02-03 Member: 143467Members
    The Gorge should have another defense building with a froglike tongue wich shoot on flying marines and pull them to the ground, so skulks and whips an hit them. Maybe the Marine can free himself by using his axe. But such a infestion tongue would be sweet :-P
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    Interesting comments, some good ideas beening floated about, along the lines of reducing horizontal movement speed for jpers, and also creating a downside to having a jetpack, i wonder what people think of the following:

When you have jetpacks, you cant run, or cant run as effectivly. This would reduce the take off speed, and thus nerf horizontal movement. It would also require marines to pick their landing more carefully if skulks were about, as they couldn't take a couple of quick steps, and fly at top speed away from skulks again. It would also provide a negative for people buying a jetpack, you are more mobile whilst using the jetpack, but otherwise are slightly slower. It would also be intuitive, as the first time someone tried to run with one they wouldnt be able to, and would think "ah, i just bought a jp, now i cant run, guess i cant run with jp" and it kind of makes sense, its a large piece of equipment, if carapace is enough to slow a skulk, surely a jetpack will weigh down a marine.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited July 2012
    Just add adrenaline and focus, a skulks with decent fps can hit jps with relative ease (keep in mind you can steer mid leap) the only problem is that it takes 4 to 5 bites to kill the buggers and you only have enough energy for 2-3 leaps before your grounded for a good 7 seconds (while they shoot the crap out of you). But please, do not NERF jetpacks they are fun as is and I think should be countered by a buff to aliens rather than a nerf to JPs.
  • SkiTSkiT Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152452Members
    +1 adrenaline and focus back
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Bring back the 20 res cost for a jetpack, so i can't kill a jetpacker and he will come back instantly at barely any cost lost.
  • IckorusIckorus Join Date: 2012-07-12 Member: 154057Members
    I'd suggest simply making it much slower flying backwards with the jetpack same as when you're on the floor.

Fight <b>or</b> flight, not fight <b>and</b> flight
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    Agreed - flying backwards for both jetpackers AND LERKS makes little sense to me. Lerks especially!
  • mikeditkamikeditka Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149764Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I don't think bilebomb should be the counter to jp's, just for the simple fact that I am <b>assuming</b> bilebomb is going to effect exo-suits. Have one counter for both does not makes sense for an Asymmetrical game.

Instead of umbra, give lerk an ability to counter jp's. Make spor cloud or an ability like spor cloud be able clog up the engine of the jp.

Nerfing the horizontal speed I think is one of the better options, it would help all lifeforms be able to kill jper's. Marines would have to be even more skilled in order to stay alive and phasegates would become even more important to hold. If exo-suits came out this patch I don't know if anyone would want to use them because jp's would be so much more effected and cost less.

P.S. like the changes!