Kharaa Hive Start

KrovakonKrovakon Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152332Members
So as it stands, you're given a default hive which you choose to 'Evolve' into a specific hive (Shade, Crag, Shift)

I would like to suggest upon selecting a evolution path and upon it finishing evolving you're given one free mature variant of what the appropriate structure is.

(Crag hive gives one free mature crag upon it finishing the evolution into a crag hive, Shift gives a shift, Etc etc)

This will allow more strategies to be done without it directly affecting firefights (aside from base rushes when using a crag hive, which kind of is the point of it?)

This means that if the starting hive is in a very unfavorable position they can choose to go crag hive to help protect it from an early base rush, or they can choose a shift hive and echo it to a different, more favorable location.

Since Energy is being removed, either of these tactics would Slightly (or largely with echoing an entire hive) slow down an aliens expansion in exchange for more survivability.

Thoughts? Feedback?

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Instead of giving the chamber, how about the hive that is evolving to the crag hive, actually becomes a crag hive. So it gets the ability to spray umbra from itself.

It would add a deeper choice level between the types of hives you would want in different areas.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1943005:date=Jun 13 2012, 12:32 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jun 13 2012, 12:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943005"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Instead of giving the chamber, how about the hive that is evolving to the crag hive, actually becomes a crag hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A hive will heal you like a crag if you are nearby it, so technically it's acting like a crag... but I get the point, a shade hive would act like a shade (cloak nearby players) and a shift hive would act like a shift (speed energy regen of nearby players).

I like the current behaviour: in the early game skulks are easy to damage, and crags aren't usually placed on the field. In the absence of regen being researched it's a quick way to heal.

As far as the OP suggestion: I'm not sure how that functionality would be implemented. Would your screen be automatically refocused to the hive to let you drop your free crag when the hive is done evolving? I sure wouldn't like that if I was about to place a pivotal structure.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    I like the idea, it can actually add more depth to strategy in deciding which kind of hive should go where.

As in a new developed hive that is currently under siege should most probably be a crag hive since the defending aliens will need the bonus it gives.
  • iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1943005:date=Jun 13 2012, 06:32 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jun 13 2012, 06:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943005"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Instead of giving the chamber, how about the hive that is evolving to the crag hive, actually becomes a crag hive. So it gets the ability to spray umbra from itself.

It would add a deeper choice level between the types of hives you would want in different areas.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1943008:date=Jun 13 2012, 06:39 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Jun 13 2012, 06:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943008"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A hive will heal you like a crag if you are nearby it, so technically it's acting like a crag... but I get the point, a shade hive would act like a shade (cloak nearby players) and a shift hive would act like a shift (speed energy regen of nearby players).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would be so cool if the hive would actually gradually change its appearance to resemble the upgrade "chamber" that was chosen for it. Crag hive would have some sort of shell on it, shift hive would have those cool tentacles and shade hive would have that jellyfish-like feature.
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    I agree on hive looks, but do take into account, like in NS1, hive isn't self healing. So you do need gorge to "weld it back" or crag for it.
  • KrovakonKrovakon Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152332Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1943008:date=Jun 13 2012, 12:39 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Jun 13 2012, 12:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943008"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As far as the OP suggestion: I'm not sure how that functionality would be implemented. Would your screen be automatically refocused to the hive to let you drop your free crag when the hive is done evolving? I sure wouldn't like that if I was about to place a pivotal structure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I'm assuming it'd be randomly placed within a certain radius of the hive.

Seems the easiest and most simple way since the coding is already there (egg spawns/Infantry portal range)