NS2 Gameplay Footage

DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Just Showing Off My New Rig, Plus Marines Win!</div>Hey everyone,

I just wanted to thank you for your help in selecting a quality CPU for my new gaming rig. I went with the Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4Ghz, and I absolutely could not be happier!

This video is just for fun. It's several short video clips mashed together. Nothing special, just wanted to show this off to you guys. My average FPS was around 40ish during the game, and we had a lot of players, and a lot of structures too! The i7 2600k handled it like a champ, though (as did my GTX 480)!

Here's the video: <a href="http://youtu.be/VLv9gTur5J0" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/VLv9gTur5J0</a>

Computer specs are in the video description, if you are interested.

Cheers,
Cody

Comments

• WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Overclock it and you'll get a serious boost in fps.
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited June 2012
    Gratz on your new rig. Thats a great setup.

Heres a link to a forum that has some guides on OCing. That chip is a breeze to OC and you'll get a sizable boost in performance as well. Send me a PM or post here if you need any help.

<a href="http://www.overclock.net/f/5/intel-cpus" target="_blank">http://www.overclock.net/f/5/intel-cpus</a>

See you in game!
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I have the same cpu. OC that beast! Easiest way is to just boot up into the GUI Bios and click on the far right option. You can manually overclock frequencies, cycles, and voltages if you want to eek out more performance, but the one click OC will bump you up to at least 4.4ghz.

You'll probably want an aftermarket heatsink for this, though. I bought a hyper212 cooler master for less than $25 and I'm running 4.5ghz never going above 60C in normal usage.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    intel must be doing something right. i have an amd quad core @ the same clock and it looks to me like your framerate is at least double what i'm getting. perhaps more.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    Yeah its kinda sad that since Sandy bridge from Intel, AMD is in no way competitive anymore... even for low budget, there are better intel alternatives. (with better price performance)

Note: I feel like server performance went down quite a bit from ns2 atm(tickrate drops faster), at least i now got 30-40fps on good servers like HBZ where i had 50-60 some time before. (mid game)Dunno what happened, kinda suprised that we didnt have a forum whine thread - since other ppl i asked with similar systems expirienced the same. (4.5ghz+ i5/i7, gtx570)
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1942777:date=Jun 11 2012, 05:27 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Jun 11 2012, 05:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->intel must be doing something right. i have an amd quad core @ the same clock and it looks to me like your framerate is at least double what i'm getting. perhaps more.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I absolutely love AMD. I wanted to go with an FX-8150 really bad, but the sad truth is that Intel is making better CPUs at the moment. I hope AMD can rally with Piledriver (Vishera) chips later this year / early 2013, but I'm glad I went Intel for now. This CPU is absolutely unbelievable. It eats everything I throw at it, and my temps are in the 20s idle, and low 40s under max load (Prime95) - with a Hyper 212 aftermarket cooler.

Really great processor.

Cheers,
    Cody
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    It is a sad state of affairs the place AMD is at right now, but Intel CPUs are just incredibly powerful. Good choice, and NS2 looks like it's running great for you. Congrats!
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1942885:date=Jun 12 2012, 10:47 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Jun 12 2012, 10:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942885"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is a sad state of affairs the place AMD is at right now, but Intel CPUs are just incredibly powerful. Good choice, and NS2 looks like it's running great for you. Congrats!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It really does run silky smooth.

I did a little overclocking (4.2Ghz) and managed to increase my FPS by about 20 or so, on average. Pretty good, but I don't really like running an overclocked CPU. I want the chip to last a solid 5 years +.

My average framerate is in the 40s on a busy server at stock speeds, and that plays just fine. With the overclock I barely ever dip below 60 FPS, though. I'm just not sure about running it all the time.

Cheers,
    Cody
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942939:date=Jun 12 2012, 08:21 PM:name=DarkATi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkATi @ Jun 12 2012, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pretty good, but I don't really like running an overclocked CPU. I want the chip to last a solid 5 years +.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It will. While an increased voltage (possibly an increased clock a little bit too) does shorten its lifespan, it is rather superfluous really, as they will easily last until your next upgrade (insane LN2-voltages notwithstanding). Always a good idea to have proper cooling-apparatus though.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    like player said, if you havent altered the default voltage of a chip, you can pretty much set the multiplier to as high as the chip will take without crashing, and it wont affect the life of the chip in any significant way.

even if you DO alter the voltage, a little research on your particular chip says you can go up to 1.4v and still be very safe. 1.35v if you wanna go the "belt and suspenders" route.