Bile bomb

slayer.faithslayer.faith Join Date: 2007-12-10 Member: 63127Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
Ill admit that i havnt been a heavy player of late but Ive noticed that moving the bile bomb from the slow, killable gorge to the speedy, hard to hit lerk is making the base much harder to defend as marines.

In the old game, gorges needed protection to head into the marine base to bile bomb it out (onos or fades). It was a mass attack with gorges and other aliens for cover, trying to bile bomb critical parts of the marine base down in one massive hit.

In the latest beta, lerks can zip through the marine base, bile bomb and be out again without taking much damage. Now it can be a single lerk bile bombing over and over again in a tedious attrition attack (because they are so hard to kill in some of those twisty little marine bases and they can bomb structures over and over again for a few percent each time).

I think the issue is that bile bomb has been made much more mobile (now that it flies!!) and speedy. This makes it so much harder to counter. There is no way for marines to chase down a lerk on foot.

Previously it had to be used up close and this added risk. Now it is just a fly past as spray attack.

Im back to wondering on the role of the gorge and lerk.

Maybe ive played too much ns1, but it seems to me that the lerk should be harassing marines not buildings and the gorge should be back to his building role.

My somewhat oldschool suggestion would be:

* gorge can bile bomb (or close range acid spit) buildings to destroy them

* lerks should have marine harassing attacks (such as glue spit for a slow effect or some sort of vision blocking smoke/ink spray)

(I like the idea of a very close range acid spit, so that the gorge can either ninja in and try and puke down the ip or [s]he needs support to rush the marine base, but in both cases the gorge is chaseable by marines).

Comments

• TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Aye, i never understood the logic behind the change, especially now when the aliens have already been dominating patch after patch.

The Gorge always took a risk when bilebombing, since the marines could sprint way quick than the gorge could run (and infestation usually isnt anywhere close for sliding) so you took a giant risk rambo'ing. Lerks on the other hand seem to fly around in "OLOLOL"-mode carpetbombing everything in its way.

And on top of that, Gorge got even less interesting and valuable to play, something that was abit of an issue already BEFORE the change - where the lerk had a decent role as a support harrasser before bilebomb.
  • meowsmeows Join Date: 2008-10-14 Member: 65201Members
    I also have never really understood the addition of bile bomb to lerk. Most games I've played have gone reasonably fine until tier 2 abilities come up for aliens, then if the aliens are any good you instantly see a swarm of lerks, that just cause havoc in MS or any marine "stronghold" it turns the marine game into a welding fest... Fighting away lerks then welding, lerks return and the cycle continues...

I assume that making bile bomb more mobile is a balance response to the mobility of sieges now, but it is way too much.

I'm suprised that there hasn't been more talk about the issues with bile bomb as they stand at the moment,
    I just assumed it wasn't up for disscusion from either UW or that the community loves the lerk abuse so much since 2 or 3 half desent and persistent lerks can end a game no matter where the marines are tech and upgrade-wise.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited May 2012
    Lerks can also go behind enemy lines and take out extractors effectively, stepping on the toes of skulks as the lifeform for that role.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    tbh i think this is one of those things that UWE is just going to stick to regardless of any ammount of good reasoning. Maybe because they think it looks kooler, more cinematic and more immersive on the lerk and doubling bilebomb on gorge too wouldn't look nice. i dont know why. Pity but oh well =/.
  • SixPairsOfFeetSixPairsOfFeet Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146689Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    how about slowing the lerk down whenever a bile bomb is fired? alternatively force the lerk to cling to a wall? that may be too extreme a punishment, but slowing down the lerk durnig bilebomb would counter the trololo mode where three lerks fly in and out of the base constantly, denying the marines from going out and getting their close extractors back and then the cage comes down with the oni inside and BAM ...