NS Revolution - power nodes and infestation

124»

Comments

• matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1927027:date=Apr 19 2012, 06:16 AM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Apr 19 2012, 06:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everyone knows my stance by now and i agree with .ADHd. The problem with your statement Locke is that we are less than 4 months from release. It is scary to see a game in such flux so close to a finished product.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nah. NS2 on release will be a "sellable product". Not a finished product. Gameplay/balance/content changes and additions will be coming down the pipeline even after 1.0 is released.

And the mods, of course...
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I think I will post, I'm probably one of the most disliked australian ns2 player out there. I always complain about ns2, about how unoptimised it is, about how unbalanced many aspects of the gameplay are, and about how it could be improved. Someone once said "If you want to make enemies, try to change something". That saying is true in so many ways and redundantly true in the fact that if you try to get something changed back, you'll still make enemies.

On an aside, trying to get someone to listen to your idea and maybe actually implement it is about as easy to do as getting random players to actually play as a team on a pub ns2 server; sometimes it works, but most of the time, you get completely ignored.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1928431:date=Apr 22 2012, 09:42 AM:name=matso)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matso @ Apr 22 2012, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928431"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nah. NS2 on release will be a "sellable product". Not a finished product. Gameplay/balance/content changes and additions will be coming down the pipeline even after 1.0 is released.

And the mods, of course...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have seen many good games fall this way. NS1 was unique in the fact of it was free and a mod. People gave it more time and allowed for an unfinished product. Balance can always be improved upon but the other you list need to be in top shape for release. Gamers are very unforgiving now-a-days from what i have seen with other non AAA titles. I do hope it works out, even for all my griping and pessimism i still play this game 1-2 hours a day or so and once back in the states will want to get into the competitive scene. I am getting sick of pub life.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    The topic is a bit over the top and I don't really think infestation is ruining the game. As with all resource gather/spend real time abilities once players understanding of the game improves I think we'll see more punishment for overextending and that will largely solve silly issues with infestation. Not a fan of all parasite all the time - would much prefer drifters as the primary scouting mechanic mixed with attack notifications from cysts.

I dont think linking marine structures to power nodes is a good idea at all. A return to sentry guns only would be welcome.

On the topic of sink-or-swim v1.0 I think there is definite room for growth of an indie game with explicit dev support for competition. NS2 is different enough to draw people in and deep enough to convert them within the time it takes to learn. All it needs is a slow groundswell of united community/dev organisational support and it will have carved out a nice little niche for itself. The open, intertwined nature of the dev team and playerbase is ns2's ace in hole when it comes to a competitive scene and if it's lead in the correct direction I don't really see how it can fail (disclaimer: performance issues).
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Can we use smaller, simpler words in our arguements please? I don't understand your fancy words, thanks.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    It's a bit of a stretch to say "the majority of players don't like the power grid etc' when alot of the people postin on this thread are member numbers 150,000 - yet theres only 97 posts here (and even then not all are against it). If you are against it, you really are the vocal MINORITY. Maybe I should emphasise *vocal* over minority.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Silence is equivalent to assent? I'm guessing only 1-2% of whom bought NS2 actually plays it (semi-regularly), so by that logic everybody is wasting their time by posting on here.
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    mmm

Fifth time for this topic? And your accusing it of being a minority view?

Maybe if more than .3% of key owners played, or more comp ns1 players played, or more than .3% of key owners forumed.

If anything the minority view is that game performance is causing the low active players.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1928659:date=Apr 22 2012, 09:53 PM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Apr 22 2012, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928659"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe I should emphasise *vocal* over minority.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes you should. Out of however many thousand people own it, only about 500 people play this game.
  • SilverAxSilverAx Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 21976Members
    As the spokesman for the silent majority of contributors to NS2 I'd like to point out that the product is still in development.

I trust Flayra and his team to make the game an enjoyable experiance that has NS1 elements in it but is not NS1 with a different engine running it.

The last thing Flayra and Co. want is a product that no one wants to buy.

Constructive criticism is good. Taking out your real life anger/problems on the dev team (adhd) is retarded.

Spokesman for the silent majority of players out.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1928675:date=Apr 23 2012, 02:32 AM:name=SilverAx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SilverAx @ Apr 23 2012, 02:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As the spokesman for the silent majority of contributors to NS2 I'd like to point out that the product is still in development.

I trust Flayra and his team to make the game an enjoyable experiance that has NS1 elements in it but is not NS1 with a different engine running it.

The last thing Flayra and Co. want is a product that no one wants to buy.

Constructive criticism is good. Taking out your real life anger/problems on the dev team (adhd) is retarded.

Spokesman for the silent majority of players out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I trust them too but sometimes they need help...

i.e.:
    Tasers
    Squad Spawning
    Multiple Commanders
    Chained Lifeforms

We are here to help balance out their vision. Let's not get to complacent due to faith.