Make power node fun in gameplay ?

13»

Comments

• XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    Put Robotics factory infront of the power node with turrets covering it.

Problem solved until the onos shows up
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    The nice thing about powernodes is they reduce the incentive to turtle. They also speed up the end game so Marines on the back foot lose suddenly instead of gradually declining over a course of hours...
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1918956:date=Mar 28 2012, 02:35 PM:name=ubikjam)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ubikjam @ Mar 28 2012, 02:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The nice thing about powernodes is they reduce the incentive to turtle. They also speed up the end game so Marines on the back foot lose suddenly instead of gradually declining over a course of hours...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats it! If the main power is out, you have (in most cases) lost already. You lost a game. Get over it. The next one starts right after that. It's thousand times better to have a game ender, that sometimes produce a cheap win, then having turtlefests 50% of all games.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1918943:date=Mar 28 2012, 07:58 AM:name=Xostean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xostean @ Mar 28 2012, 07:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918943"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Put Robotics factory infront of the power node with turrets covering it.

Problem solved until the onos shows up<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

8 min, gg.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Weren't they going to add power packs back in? Only they would only power a single structure? If so, it should be fairly easy to keep a couple of IPs running.

Or you could add some sort of researchable upgrade, emergency batteries, CC keeps IPs powered, researchable/buildable reinforced armor for the power node, whatever.

Power nodes are fine most of the time honestly. I'd change the way unpowered rooms look, make them just darker, not extremely red coloured, and let aliens disable power by infesting power nodes, but beyond that I don't have any issue with them. They add a nice thematic element to the game, as well as a good option for aliens when attacking fortified bases.
  • EvilKoaLaEvilKoaLa Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149331Members
    May having some upgrade, or a built structure, as a battery could be fun :
    The commander needs to research/build it, it's not free, but it gives something like 20 or 30 seconds, or even a minute, of emergency power supply in case of Power Node destruction, and it needs to go back on cooldown or something, and everything in his radius ( like IPs / Armory ) keep powered for a while.

This way, ppl that has some fears about the power node can get an extra security to protect their base, but it won't be cheap, or it will add a delay on the build strategy.

To set the price, delay, stats of it, just need to check when are power nodes attacked mainly ? In early game ? Mid game ? Late game ? and set it accordingly to give some kind of cons for the rine commander.

I'd personnaly find it fun, you give the choice to the commander. It would be as the distress beacon, if I remember well, in NS1, I don't remember it was so fastly deployed by the commander as in NS2. Sometimes, it was a res saving, sometimes, it was a great mistake that led the Marines to their death.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2012
    The big issue I have with power nodes is how easily they can seal the game for aliens, primarily due to the massive onos damage to them. That being said, they should also take longer to be repaired, since outside marine base killing power nodes is rarely ever worth it. (They're put up a lot faster than it takes for skulks to bite them)

<b>Perhaps the power node in marine base, and even elsewhere, could be permanently 'reinforced' with an upgrade?</b> Or all power nodes for that matter. This would give marine a tech answer to the lategame vulnerability of power nodes. In addition, base power nodes should take a little longer to put up, though you could have marines with welders build them faster or something.

The idea of a secondary generator structure could also be interesting actually, its effect would come down to the same thing as the ability to 'reinforce' a power node, though I believe the latter would be a cleaner and more simple way of going about it.