Aimbotservatory

peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
edited February 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
See what I did there? ;)

How can the observatory be useful for marines without giving them perfect knowledge of alien movements? As a marine I find the observatory really OP. As an alien it makes the game miserable.

Possibilties

Only track fast movements, not walking or stationary aliens.

A lag effect for the tracking icon so it will only show where the alien was 1 second ago. Aliens will have a fair chance in battle, and marines will still know whereabouts they are and how many there are.

A pulsed tracking effect like an old fashion radar or sonar. It provides an accurate picture of alien locations every 2 or 3 seconds rather than constantly as it is now. Probably preferable to the lag effect which could be confusing.

Decreased range. I was surprised how far the current range is. It could be decreased a bit so the observatory's purpose is primarily base defense.

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I think the problem with the observatory is that a passive support-based scanning structure has significant active buffs in combat. Switching to pulsed scanning would allow it to retain its early-warning abilities without painting every kharaa for instant death.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Yea there's nothing worse than a marine knowing my exact movements even when I'm going through vents.

The only way to counter it as far as I can see is to keep rushing the observatory and try to kill it - which is really hard when they know exactly where you are!
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Did no one play NS1? Hello motion tracking?
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    edited February 2012
    Seeing an enemy through a wall is not Aimbotting.

Just saying, the marines could know your exact position 100% of the time and it still would not improve the aim skill of the player

Its more like a Wallhackservatory
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Well said, but I do believe that Wallhackservatory is a bit too strong for its cost. Why not make it Observeservatory by limiting the data to be less precise or arrive less frequently?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Maybe it can be limited to X target per Observatory, like how a Crag chooses only 3 targets to heal..

But better yet, I think a lock-on detection mechanic for stationary targets only would be nice. That way, ARCs can still target structures behind walls near a WallHackservatory and aliens can keep on the move to avoid being locked on.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908385:date=Feb 29 2012, 08:14 PM:name=Gadx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gadx @ Feb 29 2012, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did no one play NS1? Hello motion tracking?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In NS1 motion-tracking provided movement-updates about every 2 seconds. If it is instantly all the time in NS2 I can see how it is overpowered.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Maybe obs could just uncloack aliens ? Maybe it could be a good idea ?
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    I dno, i think the obs cost should just be increased so its a larger investment decision and can't be spammed all over the map. Maybe the range could be reduced a slight bit (its actually not very far considering powernode limitations), but i kind of like local MT as it provides an alternative way to create map presence and hold certain positions without sentry turrets (yuk). Unlike sentry turrets they are purely player vs player involved. You dont see people complaining about aimboturrents.

I mean, it also solves our random spawn problem of vents in marine start which i think is an elegant solution.

*edit* maybe increase obs build time as well to cap effectiveness of very aggressive obs usage?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I'd definitely like to have them show a rough warning of incoming aliens. It creates a nice dynamic between the safe position and position that provides best intel on incoming enemies. It's also a pretty neat way to defend against baserushes, especially if you know which direction it's likely to come.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    I think the main issue is that Motion Tracking works everywhere from one upgraded Obs. I think there should be an area around the basic Obs that uncloaks aliens in the radius. There should be accurate MT in that radius when the Obs is upgraded. There should be less accurate/slower MT in powered areas of the map. MT shouldn't work in un-powered areas; that's what Scan is for. When a scan is done, a short duration of MT will be available for that area if the Obs has been upgraded.

This makes the MT upgrade really useful for defense, akin to infestation hive-site. This makes it much less effective in un-powered/infested areas without the aid of a comm doing scans. At least with a scan, an alien on infestation has cue that they have been revealed/tracked.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1908405:date=Mar 1 2012, 07:56 AM:name=culprit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (culprit @ Mar 1 2012, 07:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908405"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the main issue is that Motion Tracking works everywhere from one upgraded Obs. I think there should be an area around the basic Obs that uncloaks aliens in the radius. There should be accurate MT in that radius when the Obs is upgraded. There should be less accurate/slower MT in powered areas of the map. MT shouldn't work in un-powered areas; that's what Scan is for. When a scan is done, a short duration of MT will be available for that area if the Obs has been upgraded.

This makes the MT upgrade really useful for defense, akin to infestation hive-site. This makes it much less effective in un-powered/infested areas without the aid of a comm doing scans. At least with a scan, an alien on infestation has cue that they have been revealed/tracked.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It doesn't require an upgrade at all at this point, though I like your suggestion of upgrading obs individually to allow motion tracking. Perhaps it costs no tres but allows each OBS to transform between being the scanning/beaconing obs that we know now, and a dedicated motion tracker with a transition period in between in which it can't do anything. It wouldn't gain any energy while in Motion tracking form.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I think it shoudl be a upgrade. so obs 10 res. tracking 10 res. or just make them 15-20 and you will stop the spam.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1908376:date=Feb 29 2012, 03:03 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Feb 29 2012, 03:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908376"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the problem with the observatory is that a passive support-based scanning structure has significant active buffs in combat. Switching to pulsed scanning would allow it to retain its early-warning abilities without painting every kharaa for instant death.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Then it loses it's anti-cloak abilities.
    Slow movement speed avoiding detection again, will cause the motion tracker to lose it's anti-cloak abilities.

The fact is, shade cloak is OP. I suggested a long time ago to make it area of effect, with a possible small timer after leaving the field of cloak as a grace cloaking period. (So no more cross-country cloaking). This will completely fix the problem, and allow us to bring the new observatory motion tracking function to balance.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited February 2012
    You could make the observatory only ping at regular intervals, intervals which the aliens would be able to detect, and switch it over to only detecting moving objects, so that moving through an observatory's radius would be as simple as stopping every 5 seconds or so. It also means that placing an observatory would alert any nearby alien to the presence of a marine base in the area, so the knowledge works both ways.

The 'move very slowly at all times to avoid detection' doesn't work very well, but if you switched it to 'move slowly occasionally' it could work.

Alternatively, make shades block the observatory's effects in a relatively wide radius around them, that way marines only get wallhacks in their bases, which seems entirely reasonable given that the aliens get far better wallhacks.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I agree that it is a bit much atm, since it also makes it considerably easier to track aliens in active combat (being hard to track is the skulks biggest strength). It along with the ESP like minimap which auto highlights all enemies you or your buddies can see (cant count the times Ive seen aliens sneaking up behind me or hiding in vents cause of the map) really limits aliens ability to be sneaky.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1908405:date=Mar 1 2012, 06:56 AM:name=culprit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (culprit @ Mar 1 2012, 06:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908405"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the main issue is that Motion Tracking works everywhere from one upgraded Obs. I think there should be an area around the basic Obs that uncloaks aliens in the radius. There should be accurate MT in that radius when the Obs is upgraded. There should be less accurate/slower MT in powered areas of the map. MT shouldn't work in un-powered areas; that's what Scan is for. When a scan is done, a short duration of MT will be available for that area if the Obs has been upgraded.

This makes the MT upgrade really useful for defense, akin to infestation hive-site. This makes it much less effective in un-powered/infested areas without the aid of a comm doing scans. At least with a scan, an alien on infestation has cue that they have been revealed/tracked.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1

Me likey:<ul><li>Permanent motion-tracking in a limited radius only</li><li>Temporary motion-tracking in scanned areas</li></ul>
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    1) have it be an active/toggle ability, while active the obs doesn't regenerate energy
    2) have it be a researchable upgrade to each obs.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1908385:date=Feb 29 2012, 04:14 PM:name=Gadx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gadx @ Feb 29 2012, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did no one play NS1? Hello motion tracking?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the funny thing is motion tracking and alien movement are the same in NS1 and NS2, except for one thing

the shift isn't in the game yet!

motion tracking doesn't actually help players aim at all, either. if you were too clueless to check your map before and see enemies that are sneaking up on you (without cloak), you'll still be too clueless to notice the motion tracking markers now.

in an ideal world, the shade's cloak doesn't require an observatory with motion tracking to reveal it, AND motion tracking must be researched...but what we have right now is at least a passable solution
  • Bobo44Bobo44 Join Date: 2011-11-02 Member: 130749Members
    wasn't it like this in ns1.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1908463:date=Feb 29 2012, 06:00 PM:name=Bobo44)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bobo44 @ Feb 29 2012, 06:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908463"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->wasn't it like this in ns1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Tracking in NS2 is quite different from NS1 Motion Track. The main purpose of the new tracking is to detect cloaked/camouflaged Kharaa, whereas in NS1, MT did not track cloaked aliens.

The observatory should not be a hard counter to the entire Shade tech tree IMO.
  • WorshipWorship Join Date: 2012-02-10 Member: 144844Members
    Why not make it a personal upgrade like buying weapons with the players own res? AkA, "Walks up to the obs, purchase motion tracking"
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    this will be changed in next patch. those blips won't be visible all the time, instead they will flash up and slowly disappear until the next "ping" happens.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited March 2012
    A portable motion scanner would be great, replacing the pistol.
    So one marine take out the portable scanner and marines see "MOVING" bips on minimap in a range, but they don't know which alien.
    But this break the defence right, so whats about motion scan upgrade like in ns1.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    Does anyone notice that all the new players to ns2 dont like anything that was great in ns1?
    I mean no one complained about sh*t like this in ns1. Often when marines got motion tracking all youd hear on the alien team is "they have motion now btw" and that was it, end of story, no b*tching, no crying, just people who would stfu and deal with it.
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1908371:date=Feb 29 2012, 09:59 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Feb 29 2012, 09:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Possibilties

Only track fast movements, not walking or stationary aliens.

A lag effect for the tracking icon so it will only show where the alien was 1 second ago. Aliens will have a fair chance in battle, and marines will still know whereabouts they are and how many there are.

A pulsed tracking effect like an old fashion radar or sonar. It provides an accurate picture of alien locations every 2 or 3 seconds rather than constantly as it is now. Probably preferable to the lag effect which could be confusing.

Decreased range. I was surprised how far the current range is. It could be decreased a bit so the observatory's purpose is primarily base defense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. That's pretty much how it was in ns1 (or was that just my crappy Y2K engine?). But how it was in ns1 is not the point. The point is that it is a bit op...

<!--quoteo(post=1908666:date=Mar 1 2012, 01:27 PM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ Mar 1 2012, 01:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone notice that all the new players to ns2 dont like anything that was great in ns1?
    I mean no one complained about sh*t like this in ns1. Often when marines got motion tracking all youd hear on the alien team is "they have motion now btw" and that was it, end of story, no b*tching, no crying, just people who would stfu and deal with it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's true, but it's a different game now. The maps have different structure now, they aren't so multilayered now and so on. You can't have the same things you had in ns1.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908666:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:27 AM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ Mar 1 2012, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone notice that all the new players to ns2 dont like anything that was great in ns1?
    I mean no one complained about sh*t like this in ns1. Often when marines got motion tracking all youd hear on the alien team is "they have motion now btw" and that was it, end of story, no b*tching, no crying, just people who would stfu and deal with it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually I thought it was dumb in NS1 as well, on both teams honestly. I don't really like the idea that the best way to track an enemy is by the icon rather than the actual 3d view.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908621:date=Mar 1 2012, 03:27 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Mar 1 2012, 03:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908621"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this will be changed in next patch. those blips won't be visible all the time, instead they will flash up and slowly disappear until the next "ping" happens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

its a first implementation in a beta =)
    this is a great idea

/thread
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I don't understand the title of this thread, shouldn't it be wallhackservatory instead?