NS2: Proving Grounds

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    What a productive day. Jumping fixed, Gravity fixed, Jump Pad Trigger completed, RocketLauncher added, Flak cannon added (only vaguely resembles flak cannon, needs a proper PG name). Respawn issue fixed, except the UI shows you as having 0 health instead of 100, although as soon as you take damage it corrects itself.

I'm just going to have a go at implementing portals and the skinning mod, then we'll be ready for an alpha release. I can't believe it but I am mostly feature complete already for the 1st game mode. Really excited :D
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Dude, the speed you work on this is pretty fast o.O

Keep up the good work! :>
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Don't be fooled!! What I am implementing is basic versions that generally work in a simple or crude way. All these features are in, but they still need a lot of work before they are finished to the standard I will be demanding of myself. :D
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    But the are in. If I would do this... well, I would've put a lot of thought into it and then abandoned it by now :D
    I've had a year off from modding, the game has come together and been planned during the year off, and now I am coming at it with a clear idea of what I am trying to create. It makes the development process so much easier. Before I was just seeing what I could mod, then throwing it in and trying to make a game of what came out.

Now that the design is much clearer, and I know the end result I want, it makes the my work a lot more focused and progress gets made all the time. I see it this way, I know what I want to achieve, but the game will never truly be done, but progress will be done, and that progress will lead me to create something that is an approximation of the design I have in mind now. I won't be wasting my time trying things that will just be cut from the mod in the end.

I may post up the design plans for the mod, although I don't want to give too much away. I love open development, but I like surprises too.
    So first off there is a new video up on ModDB:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/proving-grounds/videos/proving-grounds-dev-update

This is a quick Video to show what has been implemented in the new round of development.

The weapons are currently:
    Axe, Pistol, Rifle, SG/GL combo and Rocket Launcher.
    Movement includes Dodge and Double Jump.
    Jump Pads are also in, Item spawns have been created but are not fully implemented yet.

Code is still a bit buggy, but I am getting the features in before tweaking them up. An alpha mapping release will be out today, so mappers can use the entities in their maps. Bugs still need to be squashed before a general alpha comes out.

Then there is a new mapping release on ModDB:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/proving-grounds/downloads/proving-grounds-mapping-alpha-020

I am aware it will not appear for a while, as they take some time to update their stuff, so for now, I have added a zip file to this message. When the ModDB upload is ok'd, I will remove the zip file. There is also a basic unfinished map in there, you can run around it and test stuff out.

Happy Mapping :)
    Damn, sorry for the double post, forgot to attach the file, and it seems I can't do it in the edit...
    Awesome. Will those jump pads be able to move you sideways, too?

I will look into that zip later.
    No, they just fire you straight up at the moment. As I said, it is just basic implementations initially. :)
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I need an entity that shoots players across the map and over a Zeppelin :P
    I will have a look at giving the entity some extra parameters, so you can choose which way the trigger fires, I will probably add a push force multiplier parameter too. I do want to get as much stuff in as possible before tweaking these things though.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Nice work, you seem to be getting this done fast, keep it up!
    I downloaded the zip and put the contents of the pg folder into the output folder of a newly created mod. It also contains my map.

I can download and activate it just fine, however, if I try to start a map (yours or mine) I get the following console reads (see attachments).

Btw, how do I get a proper log?
    edited October 2013
    First thing follow these instructions to run the mod:

Installation Instructions:
    Extract the files on your PC.
    Move the folder pg into your "....\steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\" folder.
    Right click on ns2.exe and click on send to desktop(create shortcut).
    Right click the shortcut select properties.
    Find the line called target and after the "....\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\NS2.exe" add: -game pg.
    On my computer the target line reads - "F:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\NS2.exe" -game pg
    Click the general tab of the properties window.
    Change the name from shortcut to ns2 to something like pg or Proving Grounds.
    Click OK
    Double Click the newly named desktop icon to launch the mod.

Then when the menu opens up, open the mods window and de-activate all mods. Game should then run fine. I have still to re-code the mod system so it doesn't load NS2 mods.. Your way of set-up is fine, it is just NS2 mods loading that are causing the issue.

Log.txt appears in %appdata/roaming/Natural Selection 2/. It overwrites the same log file that NS2 does.
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the quick support.

"Invalid Data"
    Date: 10/24/13
    Time: 20:28:00:
    Build 258
    Windows 7 64-bit (build 7601)
    Error: PhysX: Invalid Cuda context!
    Steam initialized
    Num displays: 3
    Direct3D 11 initialized [feature level 11.0] (AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series)
    Sound Device: Lautsprecher (Realtek High Definition Audio) stereo
    Record Device: Mikrofon (HD Webcam C310)
    Mounting mod from C:/Users/ford/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/mb3d74e3_1382636368/
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Loading config://HistoryServers.json
    [Client] Script Error #1: File not found: lua/ModLoading.lua
    Call stack:
    Cooked mesh with 4794 faces, 3566 vertices
    Error: Couldn't open file 'D:/build/assets/materialsrc/biodome/biodome_glass_01.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'D:/build/assets/materialsrc/biodome/biodome_glass_01.material'
    Error: Couldn't find the file for subscribed mod 'ns2_co_portals'
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 258
    Steam Id: 72201030
    Error: Couldn't find the file for subscribed mod 'ns2_co_courtyard'
    Error: Couldn't find the file for subscribed mod 'Bindable voice orders commander keys and more!'
    Mounting mod from C:/Users/ford/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/mb3d74e3_1382636368/
    [Client] Script Error #1: File not found: lua/ModLoading.lua
    Call stack:
    Error: Couldn't open file 'D:/build/assets/materialsrc/biodome/biodome_glass_01.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'D:/build/assets/materialsrc/biodome/biodome_glass_01.material'
    Error: Couldn't find the file for subscribed mod 'Bindable voice orders commander keys and more!'
    Connected to Steam servers
    [Server] Script Error #1: File not found: lua/ModServer.lua
    Call stack:
    Loading 'maps/pg_reactor.level'
    Connecting to server 127.0.0.1:27015
    Cooked mesh with 3691 faces, 2684 vertices
    Finished loading 'maps/pg_reactor.level'
    Client connecting (127.0.0.1)
    VAC Enabled
    Server sent connecting packet, 152 bytes
    Error: Sound 'sound/NS2.fev/alien/voiceovers/chuckle_female' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'sound/NS2.fev/alien/structures/death_large_female' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'sound/NS2.fev/alien/common/hatch_female' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'sound/NS2.fev/alien/voiceovers/follow_me_female' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'sound/NS2.fev/alien/voiceovers/follow_me_female' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'sound/NS2.fev/alien/voiceovers/need_healing_female' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Different number of network messages on the Client from the Server
    Client disconnected (127.0.0.1) Server shutdown
    Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
    Error: PhysX: Foundation destruction failed due to pending module references. Close/release all depending modules first.
    Error: 10 memory leaks in 'PhysX' (2296 bytes)
    Error: 10 memory leaks in 'Physics' (2296 bytes)
    Error: 10 memory leaks in 'Engine' (2296 bytes)

Should I unsubscribe all mods?
    edited October 2013
    You don't need to unsubscribe, you just need to de-activate all mods in the mods window on the main menu. If that mod did manage to load, it would crash everything, as I don't have voiceovers, or commander keys :P
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    You don't need to unsubscribe, you just need to de-activate all mods in the mods window on the main menu. If that mod did manage to load, it would crash everything, as I don't have voiceovers, or commander keys :P

Okay. So what can I do to get the map running?
    Add me on steam and i'll go through it with you..

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SoulRider/
    Hi All,

I am trying to run a quick test to see if the mod works normally, ie with 2 players and cheats turned off. I hope to have a playable very early alpha release out as soon as I can confirm the basics are working. If anyone can help me out, hit me up on steam, my details are in the post above.

Thanks
    I was hoping to get a playing release out this weekend, but I haven't had anyone interested in testing the mod, so there will be no release.

If there is no interest in the mod, then I won't bother making it. It's a shame, as I really want to play the game myself, but if I am going to be the only one, in a team deathmatch game, well there isn't a lot of point.
  • =Mr.P==Mr.P= Join Date: 2012-02-20 Member: 147025Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    if i had a working pc i wode join fore shore. i hope dm6 fits your mod and i will tray it when i have a working pc
    i hop you get som ppl to help you out its a relly nice mod hop ppl dont miss this awesome mod
    The map is great, I can't express how grateful I am for it!. It doesn't have any occlusion geometry though, so I have been working on adding that to the level, I have only got about a quarter done so far though, it is quite time consuming :)
    I was working on a 2nd map since yesterday and I just finished the greybox version. There is still no occlusiongeometry, but that shouldn't be a problem. 3k faces and stable 200fps is ok for a start ;)

I don't have a lot of time tomorrow, but I could help you test the mod in the early evening I believe. I send you a message when I am home.
  • =Mr.P==Mr.P= Join Date: 2012-02-20 Member: 147025Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    The map is great, I can't express how grateful I am for it!. It doesn't have any occlusion geometry though, so I have been working on adding that to the level, I have only got about a quarter done so far though, it is quite time consuming :)

:O what the occlusion geometry is not ther? hmm i most deleted it when i did the last updat :(
    i got a 60 gb ssd i will see if i can make my pc up and running with it

[AwE]Sentinel nice i am looking forward to se som maps in dm/tdm style
    edited October 2013
    @=Mr.P= Did you make all the custom textures yourself? I love the textures, but we will need some non quake custom textures in the future, once I have a Concept Artist, your skills could come in handy :)

@[AwE]Sentinel That's great man. Looking forward to playing it in some tests :D
    @Soul_Rider I'll hit you up on steam today, so we can check why the setup of my map doesn't work. Expect a greybox release of it this week. I can't promise anything, though, as I'm pretty busy with RL stuff.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    <- i'm avaible if you need any more alpha/beta tester
    Here is the link to the workshop. It has only the .level file so far (don't leave the higher ground as long as the jump_pads aren't working, it will trap you):

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=189552425

Run around and tell me what you guys think! It is still very rough, but I want to make a symetrical map that plays on board of a mine crawler on Mars or who knows where ;) I am not satisfied with the middle area and one or two corridors on the sides might be too long/unnecassary...
    @F0rdPrefect - That's great.

@GhoulofGSG9 - The more the merrier. I need all the feedback I can get!

@[AwE]Sentinel - I just opened the map up, looks interesting, but there is not a single jump pad in there :P I added one, tested and it works fine. Not sure what the issue is...
    edited October 2013
    I placed dozens of them in the map. I see them in the editor... I don't understand this. Maybe I downloaded the wrong files or something is corrupted :P