NS2: Proving Grounds

Comments

• JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    I think u should resize the hole thing just a little judging by the player size you have in there its gonna be too tight even with 4players.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    We'll playtest it before I resize it. Everything is properly connected and on grid. When I have finished the layout, we playtest. If it needs resizing, i'll do it then :) I am not entirely sure we do need to make this much bigger. Oh and don't forget, you always want maps of different sizes for these types of game...
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
  • =Mr.P==Mr.P= Join Date: 2012-02-20 Member: 147025Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    hi soul rider
    i hope in the name of old school games this mod isn't dead.!!!!
    i have waited so long now fore this mod to be release

i have made a remake of the old dm6 (quake 3) it is in ctf version but if this mod is not dead i can easily make the original dm6

hear is a link to my map combat mod version
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=126539" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=126539</a>
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Hey =Mr.P=,

It's not dead, but it is having a small break. A lot of changes have been implemented that have meant we need to do a complete re-write on the code. I am having a couple of months off, but will be back on it in a few weeks. I want to play this game too much to give up on it now :D
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Hey soul, good to see you around! Can you send me your email address in a PM? You might be interested in helping out with the design for our next project...
    All my emails apart from my work one have stopped working at the moment, can't dish that one out. As soon as I get the website back online then i'll have a working non-work email :D

To be fair though, I am taking a complete break from it at the moment, just due to overload in the run up to release. I've needed the recharge, but now the enthusiasm is beginning to return, so I am sure it won't be too long :D
    OK guys. I am back in the UK, but without computer. When I get a computer, capable of running the game and debugger together, I will get on this. The game is complete in my head, I had a full plan written before my old computer died, and before I moved back here. As soon as I can begin work on this, I will. I am so looking forward to this, it is going to be a beast!!!
    I'm most of the way there :) Just need a case and power supply, as well as a monitor, and I can get coding again. I am so desperate to get this game out there for everyone to play on. I hope there are still people interested in this by the time I get it out the door again, haha :D

If anyone has been working on maps/models or anything for this mod, please let me know so I can contact you and arrange to get this put together in record time :D It is going to be a lot of work, I doubt I can re-use much of my code now, so it will be a from scratch build again, and I also have a lot to learn about the latest code updates. On the plus side, the rail gun is already in, so I don't need to code that anymore at least :D

It is so close I can almost taste it :D
    Good News. I am finally building my PC this weekend. This means I will be able to begin writing Proving Grounds again!!!

I am really excited about this and absolutely ready to get this game up and running again. If you are interested in helping out, drop me a line.

Proving Grounds coming soon to a PC near you....
  • iamsoulrideriamsoulrider Join Date: 2013-09-13 Member: 188196Members
    Soul_Rider here again. My account seems to have been banned for some reason, so i'm posting with this temporary account while trying to get my original account back. I am starting work on Proving Grounds again, and while I don't know how long it will be before I release it, I have designed the game and just really need to code it into existence. I have big plans for Proving Grounds, and hopefully, you'll enjoy playing the game with me :)

Soul_Rider
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Having a creative modder back in the community is always a good thing. So good luck to you with fixing things up.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Welcome back, i was just wondering as this is similar in some ways would you consider joining the combat team and having your game mode ideas as an addon if it would help?

They've had someone join recently and add a competitive mode, more game modes that work well with combat would be great to see!
    If you look at the Mod Beans sig, and early days of the Combat Mod, you'll see I was involved.

This is a Full Conversion Mod, fully designed and is not a part of the NS universe, there are no aliens, and no marines.. PG itself will have multiple game modes eventually, and while I love the work Greeds, Jim West, Jibrail and the others put into their creations, I want this to be a very different type of experience to what they want to create. I want this to be a pure high skill movement shooter, like the good old days. I don't want tactics, iron sights or anything else that can hinder high speed run and gun gameplay.

When I want a more complicated in-depth tactical game, i will definitely work with them again, but for now, this is a little baby that is being given special attention to nurture it into something so simple, and yet utterly beautiful because of it. Or at least it's an attempt to recreate the old Q3, TS, UT, etc style of gameplay ;)
    edited September 2013
    OK Guys, I've been trying to fix the code into the existing framework, but all the new additions from release and onwards have made it an impossible job to fit the old mod in and just hook it up, so I'm going to have to start this from scratch. That means I get to spend a couple of weeks ripping the heart out of NS2 again, only this time, with all the new content, it will take even longer. As an idea, let me show some difference between an NS2 file and a PG file, lets take the TechData.lua file. Here it is in PG just the function BuildTechData():

function BuildTechData()

local techData = { 
            // Ready room player is the default player, hence the ReadyRoomPlayer.kMapName
            { [kTechDataId] = kTechId.ReadyRoomPlayer,        [kTechDataDisplayName] = "READY_ROOM_PLAYER", [kTechDataMapName] = ReadyRoomPlayer.kMapName, [kTechDataModel] = GreenAvatar.kModelName, [kTechDataMaxExtents] = Vector(Player.kXZExtents, Player.kYExtents, Player.kXZExtents) },

// Spectators classes.
            { [kTechDataId] = kTechId.GreenSpectator,              [kTechDataModel] = "" },
            { [kTechDataId] = kTechId.PurpleSpectator,         [kTechDataModel] = "" },

// Marine classes
            { [kTechDataId] = kTechId.Avatar,      [kTechDataDisplayName] = "AVATAR", [kTechDataMapName] = Avatar.kMapName},
            { [kTechDataId] = kTechId.GreenAvatar,      [kTechDataDisplayName] = "GREENAVATAR", [kTechDataMapName] = GreenAvatar.kMapName, [kTechDataModel] = GreenAvatar.kModelName, [kTechDataMaxExtents] = Vector(Player.kXZExtents, Player.kYExtents, Player.kXZExtents), [kTechDataMaxHealth] = Avatar.kHealth, [kTechDataEngagementDistance] = kPlayerEngagementDistance, [kTechDataPointValue] = kMarinePointValue},
            { [kTechDataId] = kTechId.PurpleAvatar,      [kTechDataDisplayName] = "PURPLEAVATAR", [kTechDataMapName] = PurpleAvatar.kMapName, [kTechDataModel] = PurpleAvatar.kModelName, [kTechDataMaxExtents] = Vector(Player.kXZExtents, Player.kYExtents, Player.kXZExtents), [kTechDataMaxHealth] = Avatar.kHealth, [kTechDataEngagementDistance] = kPlayerEngagementDistance, [kTechDataPointValue] = kMarinePointValue},
            { [kTechDataId] = kTechId.AmmoPack,              [kTechDataAllowStacking] = true, [kTechDataCollideWithWorldOnly] = true, [kTechDataOptionalAttachToMethod] = GetAttachToMarineRequiresAmmo, [kTechDataMapName] = AmmoPack.kMapName,                 [kTechDataDisplayName] = "AMMO_PACK",      [kTechDataCostKey] = kAmmoPackCost,            [kTechDataModel] = AmmoPack.kModelName, [kTechDataTooltipInfo] = "AMMO_PACK_TOOLTIP", [kTechDataSpawnHeightOffset] = kCommanderDropSpawnHeight },
            { [kTechDataId] = kTechId.MedPack,               [kTechDataAllowStacking] = true, [kTechDataCollideWithWorldOnly] = true, [kTechDataOptionalAttachToMethod] = GetAttachToMarineRequiresHealth, [kTechDataMapName] = MedPack.kMapName,                  [kTechDataDisplayName] = "MED_PACK",     [kTechDataCostKey] = kMedPackCost,             [kTechDataModel] = MedPack.kModelName,  [kTechDataTooltipInfo] = "MED_PACK_TOOLTIP", [kTechDataSpawnHeightOffset] = kCommanderDropSpawnHeight},
            { [kTechDataId] = kTechId.CatPack,               [kTechDataAllowStacking] = true, [kTechDataCollideWithWorldOnly] = true, [kTechDataOptionalAttachToMethod] = GetAttachToMarineNotCatalysted, [kTechDataMapName] = CatPack.kMapName,                  [kTechDataDisplayName] = "CAT_PACK",      [kTechDataCostKey] = kCatPackCost,             [kTechDataModel] = CatPack.kModelName,  [kTechDataTooltipInfo] = "CAT_PACK_TOOLTIP", [kTechDataSpawnHeightOffset] = kCommanderDropSpawnHeight},

{ [kTechDataId] = kTechId.Rifle,      [kTechDataMaxHealth] = kRifleHealth, [kTechDataMaxArmor] = kRifleArmor,  [kTechDataPointValue] = kWeaponPointValue,    [kTechDataMapName] = Rifle.kMapName,                    [kTechDataDisplayName] = "RIFLE",         [kTechDataModel] = Rifle.kModelName, [kTechDataDamageType] = kRifleDamageType, [kTechDataCostKey] = kRifleCost, },
            { [kTechDataId] = kTechId.Pistol,     [kTechDataMaxHealth] = kPistolHealth, [kTechDataMaxArmor] = kPistolArmor,  [kTechDataPointValue] = kWeaponPointValue,          [kTechDataMapName] = Pistol.kMapName,                   [kTechDataDisplayName] = "PISTOL",         [kTechDataModel] = Pistol.kModelName, [kTechDataDamageType] = kPistolDamageType, [kTechDataCostKey] = kPistolCost, },
            { [kTechDataId] = kTechId.AntiMatterSword,        [kTechDataMapName] = AntiMatterSword.kMapName,   [kTechDataDisplayName] = "ANTI-MATTER_SWORD",         [kTechDataModel] = AntiMatterSword.kModelName, [kTechDataDamageType] = kAxeDamageType, [kTechDataCostKey] = kAxeCost, },
            { [kTechDataId] = kTechId.Shotgun,     [kTechDataMaxHealth] = kShotgunHealth, [kTechDataMaxArmor] = kShotgunArmor,    [kTechDataPointValue] = kWeaponPointValue,      [kTechDataMapName] = Shotgun.kMapName,                  [kTechDataDisplayName] = "SHOTGUN",             [kTechDataTooltipInfo] =  "SHOTGUN_TOOLTIP", [kTechDataModel] = Shotgun.kModelName, [kTechDataDamageType] = kShotgunDamageType, [kTechDataCostKey] = kShotgunCost },

{ [kTechDataId] = kTechId.Flamethrower,     [kTechDataMaxHealth] = kFlamethrowerHealth, [kTechDataMaxArmor] = kFlamethrowerArmor,   [kTechDataPointValue] = kWeaponPointValue,  [kTechDataMapName] = Flamethrower.kMapName,             [kTechDataDisplayName] = "FLAMETHROWER", [kTechDataTooltipInfo] = "FLAMETHROWER_TOOLTIP", [kTechDataModel] = Flamethrower.kModelName,  [kTechDataDamageType] = kFlamethrowerDamageType, [kTechDataCostKey] = kFlamethrowerCost},
            { [kTechDataId] = kTechId.GrenadeLauncher,    [kTechDataMaxHealth] = kGrenadeLauncherHealth, [kTechDataMaxArmor] = kGrenadeLauncherArmor,   [kTechDataMapName] = GrenadeLauncher.kMapName,          [kTechDataDisplayName] = "GRENADE_LAUNCHER",  [kTechDataTooltipInfo] = "GRENADE_LAUNCHER_TOOLTIP",   [kTechDataModel] = GrenadeLauncher.kModelName,   [kTechDataDamageType] = kGrenadeLauncherGrenadeDamageType,    [kTechDataCostKey] = kGrenadeLauncherCost},
            { [kTechDataId] = kTechId.RocketLauncher,    [kTechDataMaxHealth] = kGrenadeLauncherHealth, [kTechDataMaxArmor] = kGrenadeLauncherArmor,   [kTechDataMapName] = RocketLauncher.kMapName,          [kTechDataDisplayName] = "ROCKET_LAUNCHER",  [kTechDataTooltipInfo] = "ROCKET_LAUNCHER_TOOLTIP",   [kTechDataModel] = RocketLauncher.kModelName,   [kTechDataDamageType] = kRocketLauncherRocketDamageType,    [kTechDataCostKey] = kGrenadeLauncherCost},

{ [kTechDataId] = kTechId.DeathTrigger,                                 [kTechDataDisplayName] = "DEATH_TRIGGER",                                   [kTechDataMapName] = DeathTrigger.kMapName, [kTechDataModel] = ""},

}

return techData

end

There is still more to delete from that. Compare that to the NS2 TechData.lua file, and you get an idea of what I remove from the code...

Check it out for yourself, anyway, it's back to square one for me, so this is going to be a long and slow process!!! Looking forward to providing you guys with some updates soon enough.

Edit:

I have set-up the Editor file, so mappers can start making fully functional maps for PG, so by the time the code is finished, and working, hopefully there will be some playable maps. If you want a copy of the editor file so you can work on a map, just drop me a line or leave a message here.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    I republished last stand and rewrote the biggest parts of it in a way to prevent in future exactly that problem you have here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=178635687

feel free to copy that code, it will save you quite some time in future (LSTechData.lua and LSTechTreeConstants.lua)
    Thanks for that @Sewlek, although I have realised that actually I don't need TechData, as I don't have tech that can be unlocked, I just need to use the weapons and drops as appropriate in the code. That will save a lot more.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I was working on a map and finished a first concept version, but stopped because I never played PG and had therefor no idea about movement/playstyle ;) I will start working on it again as soon as the mod is working (and ns2 + editor are fixed). Thought it was dead, glad to hear you guys are working on it!
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    I worked on a LS map some time ago, still on the roughs but could polish it a bit and publish it if the LS mod is back online :)
    Coding is going well for the re-release of Proving Grounds, although I have a few problems to resolve. I will keep you all updated here as the process continues...
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Excellent. More mods is a huge plus in my book. *thumbs up*
    edited October 2013
    Thanks @McGlaspie. It turns out things are not going quite as well as I thought, but I am really pleased with how easy it is for me to remember what I am doing. This modding and scripting is very easy and intuitive. I really think Decoda is a great tool, I've slipped into the groove really easily, even if my problems are turning out to be a bit more difficult than first anticpated. :D

@Max I really want to say thanks for bundling Decoda with NS2, it is a really well designed and intuitive tool.
    Argh. It's no use. I've been trying to update the old mod to work, but some of the files have changed beyond all recognition, and in combination with all the changes I had made, it is almost impossible to go through and update everything. Looks like I'll have to stop being lazy and start again from scratch properly..
    edited October 2013
    Hi Guys,

Ran into a problem, no scripting just the good old:
    Error: Client class hierarchy for avatar does not match server class
    Error: Failed to read Server class table on the Client

Back in the day, this error used to mean a punctuation/spelling mistake in the file. Does it still mean the same thing?

EDIT:
    Sorry, turns out i forgot to add to Shared.lua as well as original calling file..
    edited October 2013
    For those interested, I have a Pivotal Tracker up for the new version of the mod. Once the code is stable and I have made a first public release, I will also add this up on GitHub. https://www.pivotaltracker.com/s/projects/935126
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Keep up the good work! :)
    Respawn is in, but you respawn with 0 health :(

Dodge code is in, but is not working for some reason :(

Also, there seem to have been some other 'hidden' changes. For example, I have configured the gravity and jump height to the same as the previous versions of the mod demonstrated in my movement videos, but I only jump a quarter of the height...

I am really going to have to dig further.

I hope to have a mapping release out soon, although, I am not sure how much use it will be without the full range of movement working correctly...

Overall, it is coming along very nicely, but there are a few issues to resolve. I will update further when I have some news..

Tomorrow I plan to start work on integrating the ExtraEntities mod by @JimWest, so I can include portals and Jump Pads. If I can get the movement working to a good standard too, then that should wrap up the mapping release...
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Looking forward to this!
    Dodge is now working. Double Jump is now working. Movement is far from final, but I believe there is enough of it in to make a release for mappers to get an idea of the gameplay.

Note, the game is not currently playable (well it is, but there is no win condition and after dying players respawn with zero health, think of it as a Insta-kill mutator).

I also haven't playtested with anyone yet, so I don't know what happens when you try and shoot someone.

I am making a mapping release now, included is a basic map which contains all the base entities required, although JumpPads are not yet working, so don't place them just yet.

I can't upload to ModDb currently, as there is an issue, so I will attach the mapping release to this post. Let me know how it goes.

Just updating the mapping guidelines...

Proving Grounds Mapping Guidelines:

Entity Requirements:
    Upto 32 Ready Room Spawns
    PGGamerules
    Upto 16 Team Spawns per team
    Location Entities
    Join Team Entities

PG is a Total Conversion Mod, it does not use Aliens, Tech Points, RT's or any of that NS2 stuff. Currently using Marine models for both teams, the game is an old school TDM like UT/Quake3Team Arena.

Levels should encourage regular consistent combat. We will need maps ranging from 8 to 32 players, although smaller maps are probably better at this early stage. By firing this up and joining the map on a local server, you get a rough idea of the movement you need to incorporate, and remember, JumpPads will be added in the near future. Please also bear in mind all movement is very much subject to change.

Think old school Quake and UT maps, that will put you in the right mind.