Is refinery the only environment we can expect to see?

Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
edited January 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Unless they have something we don't know being worked on it looks like this is all we got, i can't see anything new appearing any time soon at this rate, perhaps it's just me but i get tired of seeing the same old dark dirty theme and the game isn't even near finished yet, more maps would help and i know they're coming but i was hoping we might see something new, brighter, cleaner and more visually interesting, like plants, water, labs, spaceships, other worlds etc.

I have a feeling that even when we get all the game play features, weapons, structures, lifeforms etc, the game will feel somewhat lacking without different and visually interesting environments to play in, almost all other multiplayer games have a variety of map themes.

I guess we'll find out what everyone thinks after the tenth rocky/refinery/dark map.

Comments

• swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    No, more environments coming later on.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1896134:date=Jan 20 2012, 10:14 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Jan 20 2012, 10:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896134"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, more environments coming later on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How much later on though is the question, if they're not being worked on now we'll be lucky to get anything in time for 1.0.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    There's at least one official map that has a very clean look to it aesthetically, and I believe the 'biodome' environment is definitely something that has been in development for post release.

Not to mention there are a lot of map specific assets that might not be in the public-release, so every map will be somewhat unique in that respect.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    All of the official maps are based around the "Refinery" theme and art set, but all are relatively distinct from one another. The unreleased maps look pretty different from what you've seen so far, and "Docking" in particular is quite a lot brighter and cleaner.

Post-1.0, there will be maps in very different settings.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    I agree, we really need some different looking maps, or different main colours/feel If I may use counterstrikes' maps.

Assault: Steel/concrete grey
    Dust: Sandy/rocky brown
    Aztec: Bright/damp white

On the contrary, I dont want to fight aliens in candyland. We just need some new angles on the space-theme. A shiney new spaceship, Biodome, some part of a map you could move outside and walk in the snow, a tiney outdoor place like in Hera,...
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited January 2012
    As has been pointed out here, while the current internal maps are mainly using the Refining art set, there will still be some distinct and different looks within that style, that will make them feel unique from the current released maps. Docking in particular ( we showed a glimpse of it at the end of the Mineshaft reveal video) has a cleaner brighter look, and features more civilian rather then industrial areas, like bars, cafeterias, locker rooms, and even a small outdoor area reminiscent of the one on Hera. That map is very far along and will be released not too long after Mineshaft.

Additionally, we have already started on a new art set, for a new internal map called Discovery, which is a scientific lab environment, and has a much cleaner, smoother, brighter, and more high tech look to it. It most likely won't be done in time for release, but we plan on having it ready to go shortly after.

And Biodome is still on the list of art sets, as well.

--Cory
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1896206:date=Jan 20 2012, 01:39 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 20 2012, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896206"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As has been pointed out here, while the current internal maps are mainly using the Refining art set, there will still be some distinct and different looks withing that style, that will make them feel unique from the current released maps. Docking in particular ( we showed a glimpse of it at the end of the Mineshaft reveal video) has a cleaner brighter look, and features more civilian rather then industrial areas, like bars, cafeterias, locker rooms, and even a small outdoor area reminiscent of the one on Hera. That map is very far along and will be released not too long after Mineshaft.

Additionally, we have already started on a new art set, for a new internal map called Discovery, which is a scientific lab environment, and has a much cleaner, smoother, brighter, and more high tech look to it. It most likely won't be done in time for release, but we plan on having it ready to go shortly after.

And Biodome is still on the list of art sets, as well.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am so glad to hear this!
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Scientific lab environment makes me think of eclipse and veil.
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    Please. also make a semi-open map with some djungle, etc.

This could easily be combined with a science lab. Some kind of bird-cage environment, like in Jurassic Park. That way you would not have to worry about open spaces with the lerks/skulks/jetpacks, etc.
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    Hope we see some "outdoor" maps :)
    Jungel or mayebe a swamp?
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1896279:date=Jan 21 2012, 01:09 AM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Jan 21 2012, 01:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896279"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please. also make a semi-open map with some djungle, etc.

This could easily be combined with a science lab. Some kind of bird-cage environment, like in Jurassic Park. That way you would not have to worry about open spaces with the lerks/skulks/jetpacks, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Jungle? That would make it reeeally annyoing to navigate as skulk/lerk/onos. And shadows would get complex as hell.
    Also, how would powernodes fit into a jungle?
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2012
    Try my user created map. It's a work in progress but you can at least play it.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116008" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=116008</a>
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1896605:date=Jan 22 2012, 07:42 AM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Jan 22 2012, 07:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896605"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jungle? That would make it reeeally annyoing to navigate as skulk/lerk/onos. And shadows would get complex as hell.
    Also, how would powernodes fit into a jungle?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe outposts? (could name it "Outpost") And some power Generators outside a camp?
    Always nice to see new environments.
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    Well, if you have some kind of habitat environment there could be powernodes. Obviously it should not be a completly open environment, that would give some design problems that could not be solved in NS2.

Maybe a laboratory in a jungle with an area around it that is limited by a fence.