What do you want to do as Alien Commander?

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
<div class="IPBDescription">Pheromones</div>NS2 has an alien commander: this is one of those brand-new areas of the game that isn't covered by the ground layed by NS1.

The alien commander's role is that of "cosmic gardener", one where he is dreamily playing with the environment to do powerful, slimy things. I don't want him giving orders to other aliens - that would be too similar to the marine's "command and control" setup. Also, aliens move so fast and with so many different movement modes that clicking on aliens at all wouldn't work well. As "gardener", it would be cool if the alien commander was interacting directly with the environment. So I had an idea about him being able to create clouds of "pheromones":

Pheromone: <i>A chemical substance produced and released into the environment by an animal, esp. a mammal or an insect, affecting the behavior or physiology of others of its species.</i>

I have some ideas about what I wanted to do with these, but before I taint your imaginations, perhaps you had some ideas? How do you find yourself wanting to interact and communicate with your team, and environment?

Comments

• dark-nsdark-ns Join Date: 2008-02-24 Member: 63726Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1895229:date=Jan 17 2012, 06:29 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jan 17 2012, 06:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pheromone: <i>A chemical substance produced and released into the environment by an animal, esp. a mammal or an insect, <b>affecting the behavior</b> or physiology of others of its species.</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe you guys could implement some type of speed buff to act as celerity from NS1. The commander could create an aura around a select group of aliens to give them this speed buff. ( Similar to cat packs from NS1 )

Some other ideas..... Create other effects such as a strength buff that increases the health or damage of specific aliens for a short period of time, with an added visual effect. ( increased size of the alien for example )
  • SilverwareSilverware Join Date: 2010-04-16 Member: 71432Members
    Why not have another passive creature, a small wasp like flyer.
    The Alien Commander could use them like flares, with a single key and click it would fire one from a hive, and travel to the destination leaving a train of pheromones only the aliens can see.
    The Alien Commander could also select different colors, so he could tell the Aliens to split into two groups one following the red, another the green.
    Allowing for a combat direction without being directly ordered.

The extra creature could be inserted as random ambient critters too, having them spawn around infestation and fly around randomly.
    These randomly spawned ones would not drop pheromones, and would probably be best created completely client side, to minimize network traffic.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    edited January 2012
    Ability to 'paint' zones onto the map for some cost in res, varying in their effect and their appearance (primarily through color). Entering a pheromone area grants a small temporary buff to the alien (which persists with them for a little while even after they've left the area). Pheromone areas decay over time, eventually disappearing unless refreshed by the alien commander. Could also allow pheromone strength to be increased by painting more of it down.

Red (attack) - Increases attack power in some way (attack speed, adrenaline recharge, damage bonus, etc.)
    Green (growth) - Decreases evolve and build times
    Yellow (alert) - Increases movement speed
    Blue (defend) - Increases defense in some way (regen, improves effectiveness of armor, etc.)

This also functions as a way to transfer map information and strategy decisions from the comm to the aliens in an organic way (not direct orders like marines). Aliens know where to attack, where its safe to evolve, where they need to defend, etc. and they get bonuses for following the comm's suggestions.

So say marines are pushing a hive, the alien comm can to the following:
    Paint red on the marines to improve combat ability of aliens attacking the position
    Paint yellow on the main corridors from nearby parts of the map to the marine's location to speed reinforcements to the area
    Paint blue over the hive and its defensive structures to help slow the attack and give aliens an area to retreat to to heal up
    Paint green in a safe location nearby (say the side of the hive opposite the marines) to allow newly spawned aliens to evolve and get back into combat quicker

The alien players now know where to attack, how best to get there, and what areas of the hive are safe vs not
  • icepick37icepick37 Join Date: 2012-01-17 Member: 140980Members
    I'd think you'd want them to be command like clouds. So you could lay down attack pheromones near a base or whatever which would give a slight buff (so there's an incentive to follow). So you could sort of express areas of interest, but not directly command. That sounds pretty similar, though.

So maybe you could use them to communicate intent. "this is where we'll be expanding next" "This is a feint"
    Things like that. So you could have rough communication with your troops about where and how you will expand. That would be incredibly useful.
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I like the idea of pheromones giving certain bonuses. But I think the commander should be prevented from having multiple pheromones in one area. So if the commander decides that a specific area of the map needs to be defended, he or she could place a pheromone in an area that boosts health regeneration or armor. If the commander wants his team to attack an area, he could place a pheromone that boosts damage in an area. This would encourage his team to do certain actions, but not order them directly.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1895235:date=Jan 17 2012, 10:43 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Jan 17 2012, 10:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ability to 'paint' zones onto the map for some cost in res, varying in their effect and their appearance (primarily through color). Entering a pheromone area grants a small temporary buff to the alien (which persists with them for a little while even after they've left the area). Pheromone areas decay over time, eventually disappearing unless refreshed by the alien commander. Could also allow pheromone strength to be increased by painting more of it down.

Red (attack) - Increases attack power in some way (attack speed, adrenaline recharge, damage bonus, etc.)
    Blue (defend) - Increases defense in some way (regen, improves effectiveness of armor, etc.)

This also functions as a way to transfer map information and strategy decisions from the comm to the aliens in an organic way (not direct orders like marines). Aliens know where to attack, where its safe to evolve, where they need to defend, etc. and they get bonuses for following the comm's suggestions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This sounds cool.
  • kburke84kburke84 Join Date: 2011-02-17 Member: 82259Members
    edited January 2012
    For environment maybe have like stationary objects that are activated by pheremones, such as a regeneration chamber that can be activated briefly but rapidly regen the hp of nearby aliens(Think like a healing totem in WC3 or instead an inactive object on the map thats there by default that only works once creep gets to it then benefits the aliens) . Or for a hive spell maybe AOE support spells such as increase attack speed briefly or AOE attack spells. That would be fun for the alien commander

This could be used only on the creep as a prereq forcing marines to destroy the creep as an extra task
    I wanted to also add that this also would promote creep growth as an incentive for the aliens to build it all over the map. Works both ways
  • SkwareSkware Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58125Members
    edited January 2012
    How about infesting the control points (by which i mean power nodes) with chambers that give a room-radius wide buff depending on what you infested it with.
    A building that grants vision
    a building that makes armor more effective
    a building that makes movement in the area faster etc.

with no drawbacks except the opportunity cost. When you get control over a room the commander has to figure out what is going to be happening in that room. It could be an easy choice like
    "this room is near the hive and wont be facing danger often/soon, so ill make stuff move through it faster to get to more important areas quicker.
    to more difficult choices like
    "this room is near the marines spawn, They might attack through it commonly so i might want hivesight to see them, or armor to hold the room a bit easier, or maybe movement speed so we can close gaps quicker and try to pinch off a win using this room as a staging point.

If the commander needs more activity (or apm w/e) you can give the infested power nodes energy and the buff they give consumes it so they have additional management.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    I wouldn't be spending any more time and resources on the alien commander since its one of the weaker least liked things in NS2 instead spend time and bring the gorge up to scratch And do away with the alien com.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Pheromones would be an "order" from the commander to attack/defend, the players are able to see them with alien-vision and are free to go there if they choose to. Each order could give a offensive/defensive buff, and cost some Hive energy. That's my honest opinion about pheromones, really. I don't honestly think that buffing players only as a alien commander is going to make it any more fun (as compared to ammo drop and medpack which has immediate effect). There's enough of that with the chambers already.

However in my opinion...
    I would want the alien commander to control a NPC unit (capable of dealing damage) that is available the moment he starts commanding (a sort of "hero" unit you could say). Alien commanders are not really useful as it stands, and you're better off fighting on the ground than being up in the sky and I'm not entirely sure that the addition of pheromones are going to alleviate that.
    Not feasible with development (make another rigged unit, heck no) but ultimately I'd think it would be unique enough to make the two commanders feel vastly different.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You are in the wrong thread Kabab.

I like the whole 'clouds + buffs' idea - but make the commands 'chargeable' not based on energy or res. It is bad enough trying to manage energy creating cycts, and then realising you don't have enough for a drifter. Don't add a third option.

It persuades players to obey orders as they gain a buff. Visually you could do something interesting for the player to inspire confidence.

I like the idea of having these 4 (or so) as above, but when placed next to certain buildings/lifeforms they interact differently. So you have a simple number of commands, but they can be used in various ways.

For example, growth on a Cyst could make it grow quicker or denser. Where as growth on the hive would spawn eggs quicker.
  • MeejMeej Join Date: 2012-01-17 Member: 140982Members
    edited January 2012
    I love the whole gardener concept. To the point of where it should be more "hands on". A marine commander actually hops into a center to do his biz, which is cool and totally a human thing to do.

For the alien, it could take a more 3rd-person approach possibly and actually DO the gardening. That is, carrying around buildings ("saplings"?) and plant em into the infestation. I think this sort of dynamic would work great since you didn't want the alien comm to do any real unit commanding to begin with. Plus, I found it kind of weird how the "commanding" unit chills outside the hive sac like a wannabe marine commander in a sweet bunk.

I kind of picture a Zerg queen with special abilities - spawn creep tumors, can attack, heal, etc., but also with the ability to "plant" living buildings. The commander evolves accordingly to the upgrade path chosen and # of hives.

Maybe. :P

(I'd love to elaborate, but before I bore the ears off of others and invest more time than will be read I'll wait for feedback.)
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1895235:date=Jan 17 2012, 05:43 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Jan 17 2012, 05:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ability to 'paint' zones onto the map for some cost in res, varying in their effect and their appearance (primarily through color). Entering a pheromone area grants a small temporary buff to the alien (which persists with them for a little while even after they've left the area). Pheromone areas decay over time, eventually disappearing unless refreshed by the alien commander. Could also allow pheromone strength to be increased by painting more of it down.

This also functions as a way to transfer map information and strategy decisions from the comm to the aliens in an organic way (not direct orders like marines). Aliens know where to attack, where its safe to evolve, where they need to defend, etc. and they get bonuses for following the comm's suggestions.

So say marines are pushing a hive, the alien comm can to the following:
    Paint red on the marines to improve combat ability of aliens attacking the position
    Paint yellow on the main corridors from nearby parts of the map to the marine's location to speed reinforcements to the area
    Paint blue over the hive and its defensive structures to help slow the attack and give aliens an area to retreat to to heal up
    Paint green in a safe location nearby (say the side of the hive opposite the marines) to allow newly spawned aliens to evolve and get back into combat quicker

The alien players now know where to attack, how best to get there, and what areas of the hive are safe vs not<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can totally see myself saying "can we get some red up in here comm?" but I feel like its too much interaction between comm and player almost. It's too reliant for the more independent aliens.
  • AssasinxXxAssasinxXx Join Date: 2012-01-17 Member: 140983Members
    Maybe something along the lines of commander abilities akin to things like C&C Generals/ C&C3, Things for example like

Gas Cloud: A thick cloud of gas that can be used to block Marine LoS, covers a medium radius, lasts 20 seconds.

Pack Mentality: (as others have suggested) Units within the radius gain a buff to Movement and attack speed -So long- as they remain near each other, Lasts 1 minute

Outage: Temporarily powers down a room, and all structures within, lasts 10 seconds.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2012
    My idea for pheromones:

Alien commander uses Drifters to spread pheromones (increases commander RTS element). There are a few types:

<b>Aggression Scent:</b> - Commander spreads this scent around an area he wants to team to press ahead with. The scent increases alien vision contrast at the expense of distance.
    <b>Mollify Murk:</b> - Defend an area by tagging with this. Changes infestation colour to a more brown/purple hugh. Increases structure armour by 1/3 for 30 seconds.
    <b>Swarm Scent:</b> - Notifies aliens to gather at this location to prepare for assault. Visual aid only aliens can see (not through alien vision). Visual distortion of some kind.

I would also rename 'Swarm' ability currently in-game to something else like 'Horde'.

Aliens should embrace the trinity. 3 Scents to use as Comm. Simple.
  • DrakoDrako Join Date: 2009-06-30 Member: 67980Members
    i think the pheromones should be some kind of ping on the mini map and the hive vision and it gives bonusese in that area like a movement boost or some kind of attack speed/dmg bonus.

My other idea to make commanding more than a gardener is:
    Give the Alien Commander active abilties like spells in a RPG depending on the chosen tech build he has different abilties e.g he cast a ensnare on a marine on infestation or command the infestation to build a temporary wall to block a marine or give aliens some cover. or some active heal he can cast on one alien

Every ability has a cooldown and costs energy. The comander has to choose if he wants to spent energy on drifters and pustules or give temporary buffs to aliens or debuffs to marines.

I imagine that these things give the commander a more active role not only depending on stationary structures. (ideas are from playing lots of dota2)

Imagine the great combos possible:

Marines trying to enter hive room all getting really low and wanting to retreat but commander cast a wall at the exit and aliens kill every marine.

Hope you like the idea if not, at least i tried ;)
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2012
    I like what Obraxis suggested. It meshes well with the Kharaa theme(s) already in game.

Couldn't we fold in Cysts into this as well? So, they could act as places where pheromones could be dispersed, etc. You could also have them automatically release "under attack" pheromones too. Hell, any structure could do this. It would be a better improvement that just hearing "structure under attack" messages, with no clear distinction as to where. Although things like Hydras may need to be excluded from something like that.

Whatever solution is tried out, I think the pheromones should show up on the mini-map somehow and not just in-game visual cues.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1895236:date=Jan 18 2012, 08:45 AM:name=icepick37)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (icepick37 @ Jan 18 2012, 08:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895236"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd think you'd want them to be command like clouds. So you could lay down attack pheromones near a base or whatever which would give a slight buff (so there's an incentive to follow). So you could sort of express areas of interest, but not directly command. That sounds pretty similar, though.

So maybe you could use them to communicate intent. "this is where we'll be expanding next" "This is a feint"
    Things like that. So you could have rough communication with your troops about where and how you will expand. That would be incredibly useful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this. Let the commander guide aliens without providing explicit instructions. If the commander can poof down a cloud of superchompygas, giving any aliens in the area a boost to speed, damage, and/or rate of fire, every alien on the map will be clambering to get to that location to take advantage of the buff. Plus it would be super atmospheric for the marines, knowing they're about to be swarmed by a hoarde of empowered aliens.

--Scythe--
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    edited January 2012
    I would like to see the alien commander be able to "create" some forms with the infestation. Like making it very high on the ground, so the Marines would walk slower through it, like a swamp. - Look at the game From Dust for some idea of infestation-control. Or maybe even, with enough res/time, even close a thinner hallway, which the marines would have to open with welders, flamethrowers, grenades, etc.

Edit1:But at the same time I like the idea of the infestation being unpredictable, uncontrollable - that even the Aliens can not keep them in control. Almost like cancer.

Edit2:I think it should be possible to place a cyst everywhere. And that they are just some kind of decoy, that the infestation grows towards it. But without cysts, the infestation has some kind of cancer-like trait, even the Aliens themselves need to take care of. (Maybe it would overgrow structures and damage them after a while? Unable to enter/leave hive and eggs?)

Edit3: I don't like that the Marine weapons disappear just like that. I know, it also has something to do with performance. But I liked what you, Charlie, suggested earlier in a video. That corspes, Aliens and Marines, give the infestation a temporal boost. I would even go further and say that weapon will stay on the ground until Aliens destroy them or infestation grows over them. Maybe even Marine structures, as well.
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1895241:date=Jan 18 2012, 12:53 AM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Jan 18 2012, 12:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895241"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't be spending any more time and resources on the alien commander since its one of the weaker least liked things in NS2 instead spend time and bring the gorge up to scratch And do away with the alien com.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

U will find that there are a lot of people who enjoy commanding, especially for the aliens. The alien commander is easily one of my favorite additions to NS2. With so much freedom to build wherever one pleases, makes for an enjoyable experience as much for the comm as it does for the aliens and marines running around beautifully infested areas. Something like the A.I. director from Valve only much better since it's a human.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    edited January 2012
    Interesting thoughts guys. Thanks for filling up this thread quickly with useful info. The idea of gameplay effects is interesting, but then they would need to be limited somehow. The main purpose of these is communication. So here's what I was thinking:

Pheromone clouds are a bit like "signposts". They aren't orders, but more about conveying information to the team, not telling anyone what to do.

- Creating any of these clouds is free, but if you create one too close to another, it will kill the first and override with the second
    - They can be dismissed any any time (with a "dismiss" or "X" button, and possibly by "waving" your mouse through them)
    - They can be seen on hive sight by everyone on your team

There are 6 pheromone cloud types. Some of them have automatic variants, depending how you create them:

<b>Scout </b>
    - “Scout Crossroads” (disappears when alien can be seen from waypoint, within 10 meters)

<b>Attack </b>
    - in world = “Attack Data Core!” (lasts 60 seconds)
    - on a enemy live unit = “Kill <class name>!” (goes away after 60 seconds or when killed)

<b>Protect</b>
    - “Protect <location or entity>” (disappears after 60 seconds)

<b>Needs healing</b>
    - in world: = “Data Core needs healing”
    - wounded friendly live unit = “<class name> needs healing”

<b>Threat detected</b> (disappears when no more enemy LiveMixins within 20 meters)
    < 15 enemy point value visible = “Threat detected” (10 seconds)
    >= 15 enemy point value visible “Large threat detected” (20 seconds)

<b>Expanding</b>
    - “Expanding in Flight Control” (disappears 20 seconds after Hive/Harvester within 15 meters)

There are times where you do want to give a strong indication of what to do, but that's natural: if you want to do this and you don't have the ability, you're going to type it and/or be frustrated the game won't let you, so I think it's better to have some of these in the game.

Finally, although these would be manually triggered, I could see them being generated automatically in some cases too:

- Expanding (created when drifter given build-hive or build-harvester order)
    -<classname> needs healing (Hive, Harvester, Shell, etc, when 60% or less health, but only the most wounded nearby structure
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Oh also - in theory, I like the idea of Drifters needing to create the Pheromones, but in practice that sounds a bit frustrating. Trying to get a Drifter near an enemy base just to tell your team you want to attack it seems rough.

If these had gameplay effects though, I think having Drifters "cast" them, and/or having them only appear on infestation, makes a lot of sense. That way marines could prevent it.
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    edited January 2012
    I love these ideas! Especially the automated functions of pheromones! They could really improve and accelerate alien gameplay flow.

The only thing i'm thinking about is: Do they have to be clouds? With so many gas/cloud/smoke (ie. Lerk gas, Healing, Umbra) animations going on after early game, wouldnt another type of "cloud" make the whole visual effect too tiring? Not to mention the (awesome of course) atmospheric lighting which also has this "dense-like 3d" feel to it.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've always likened the idea that the hive infestation was making the infested tunnels and room appear to be the insides of one massive lifeform. I think an alien heartbeat echoing through the infested corridors would be brilliant.

The hivemind should be presented like another player on the field. The infestation is it's domain. Swapping the activation abilities of structures over to the hive support powers, allowing the hivemind to seep umbra and energize gasses through the pores of infestation anywhere in it's territory.

And primal scream being like this. :D <a href="http://youtu.be/UJLMYfuhLI4?t=4m44s" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/UJLMYfuhLI4?t=4m44s</a>
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    edited January 2012
    I think you really should bring on the Wacom Tablet integration for Alien commanding if you can draw pheromones ;)

Would also be very cool if the alien commander gets a crazy voice-effect for his mic ;) Like the gravemind in Halo. (Just joking.)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2012
    First I think we have to ask ourselves an important question: why doesn't the alien commander give orders? It's one thing to say that he shouldn't for asymmetry's sake, but consider his position: he has an eagle eye view of the map, knows where everyone is at any given time, and single-handedly decides the team's strategy. Obviously if he has a strategy in mind he wants his players to help, and so will want to tell them what to do. He's the team leader in every sense of the word, not much different than the marine commander - in a competitive clan match I think the alien comm will always be giving out orders via voice comm, no matter what his gameplay is like. Ultimately they're both the leaders of their teams - the difference isn't their role, it's their methods.

I think we should be embracing this, and simply coming up with the ideal ways to help an alien comm give out orders - if not to individual players, to his team in general. Waypoints for example are just helper functionality for the marine commander, that are often ignored in favor of voice comm for skilled teams. The alien comm should have an equivalent, but selecting aliens obviously won't work, so he should just have untargeted waypoints instead that convey information to everyone, and aliens can act on it how they like.

In other words I pretty much agree with the suggestions you gave - I think whatever gameplay powers the alien comm has should be independent of these organizational aids.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I am a little wary of giving stat buffs for these clouds, as that requires them to be balanced, and that gets in the way of their functionality as order markers.

Personally I think pheromone clouds should just be orders, you drop a pheromone cloud and all aliens see it on their hud. Rather than ordering specific aliens around, you simply create standing orders for all aliens to follow if they can.

Really speaking I think this would work better for marines as well, rather than their order system, but that's just me. It seems like a more logical way to handle human players than micromanaging, give them information, not instructions, they can figure out the correct instructions if they have the right information.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    I think that most of the features planned to be implemented by the pheromones should be automatic instead of commander clicking them. I can't possibly imagine a more boring job than tagging all the places that are under attack or need healing.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I'm with Zek on this one, to some degree. Asymmetrical gameplay is a fun concept, but the implementation of the Kham is <i>a lot</i> like the Com's. They both have top-down view of their controlled territory, are responsible for alerting and directing their players to fit a strategic plan (usually their plan), and are the main controllers of where their territory expands and what structures occupy it.

If that sounds a lot like a basic description of an RTS game, it's because (asymmetrical gameplay goals aside) both teams are led by a RTS-styled leader. Other things that leaders need to be able to do are give orders, and lead development in chosen directions (via research).

I think that UWE needs to pick between an RTS vs RTS model and an asymmetrical alien gardener vs technological commander model. Nothing concrete on that, just my two cents.

I'd love to see Kham with the ability to enter an avatar (physical or otherwise) to control exactly where it places structures that don't require a drifter to build, but at the same time, it seems like we're just finding new, RTS-ier ways to implement the old GorgeCom system. I'd also be okay with seeing the Kham become a infected counterpart to the Com; it wouldn't be as interesting or "new", but making the game fun is more important than making it edgy.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    That is sort of what commanders are theoretically supposed to do though.

Otherwise they aren't really commanders, they are 'building construction organisers'.

Admittedly that is what they do best, but I think the idea is to at least have a semblance of commanding being in the game.