A Guide to the Spark Editor

13»

Comments

• slimebuckslimebuck Join Date: 2012-11-30 Member: 173748Members
    Me as well. I was all stocked being able to watch em, then I go and the link is dead :(
  • MEGASPORWICMEGASPORWIC Join Date: 2012-12-03 Member: 174087Members
    Yea ..I am looking forward to creating some custom maps....hope we can find the videos!!!
  • MuzzzyMuzzzy Join Date: 2005-07-20 Member: 56360Members
    <a href="http://www.twitch.tv/mendasp" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/mendasp</a>

You can watch Mendasp map!
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any chance that we will be able to see these tutorials again? ... I mean they were very good and it would be a shame to lose them.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2046579:date=Dec 16 2012, 05:14 AM:name=GameOver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GameOver @ Dec 16 2012, 05:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any chance that we will be able to see these tutorials again? ... I mean they were very good and it would be a shame to lose them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll see if I have back ups, if I did it would be on an older pc. Otherwise I'll have to redo them

edit: I emailed myself the files, so I'll upload them tommorow.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2046581:date=Dec 16 2012, 12:23 PM:name=fmpone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fmpone @ Dec 16 2012, 12:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046581"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll see if I have back ups, if I did it would be on an older pc. Otherwise I'll have to redo them

edit: I emailed myself the files, so I'll upload them tommorow.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's great news. I found your videos to be very helpful, so I'm glad to see they'll be reappearing on an internet near us all soon. <3
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    Alright -- so my sincere apologies for the delay. The tutorials are back at <a href="http://www.own3d.tv/FMPONE" target="_blank">http://www.own3d.tv/FMPONE</a>

They are old, about a year old as of this post. Thankfully, the editor remains largely the same.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    I would suggest moving those to youtube if possible as own3d is about to close pretty soon.
  • OpaOpa Join Date: 2012-09-08 Member: 158555Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Would be nice to have them on Youtube.
    Had just wanted to start getting used to this Editor >.<
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The site was sold, videos are gone forever
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    why didnt he put those videos on youtube @ the first place? lol, those questions in our lives that'll never get answered.
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
    Yes it would be really great if you could get these up on youtube.
    This is pretty much what im looking for, something more than "This is how to make a room, and add a light" :P
    Making a room is nice and all but managing lines verts and stuff would be nice.
    I always have the problem when I add something that there are duplicate verts that I can't delete without loosing a face.

Or using Create face while selecting 4 Lines doesn't work, perhaps I'm just using them wrong :(
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    JCD wrote: »
    Or using Create face while selecting 4 Lines doesn't work, perhaps I'm just using them wrong :(

The editor will often create the face on the other side, leading you to think it failed to make a face until you pan around your selected lines. Ctrl+F is your friend, in that case, as it flips the face to the other side.

I just made a short clip to illustrate this (and test if my stream works properly): http://www.twitch.tv/flaterectomy/b/370842586
    Thanks for the Video but I know about the problem with the faces on the other side :D
    They are sometimes just not creating at all.

I like to work with the line tool so there are alot of unused vertices around, is there an option to "weld" the lines together so that I can delete vertices?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    When the faces are not being created at all it's probably because you have multiple vertices in the same place and the editor chose the wrong one to attach to, so moving the vertices around, then creating the face, then back, usually works. It's tedious, but it works...
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Mendasp wrote: »
    When the faces are not being created at all it's probably because you have multiple vertices in the same place and the editor chose the wrong one to attach to, so moving the vertices around, then creating the face, then back, usually works. It's tedious, but it works...

Or clean up multiple vertices - I use Snap to Min Grid > Weld Near Vertices a lot in this situation.
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I quickly learned to keep my maps as clean as possible due to how painful it can be when you have extra unused vertices (or worse, duplicate edges / faces in exactly the same place). I can't tell you how many times I've drawn a line across a face attempting to split it in two only to find that drawing the line didn't split the face. X(

And then there are the times when the face I am trying to modify has inexplicably got its grid rotated so I can't create a nice straight vertical line or a level vent hole or anything.
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    bp2008 said:
    I quickly learned to keep my maps as clean as possible due to how painful it can be when you have extra unused vertices (or worse, duplicate edges / faces in exactly the same place). I can't tell you how many times I've drawn a line across a face attempting to split it in two only to find that drawing the line didn't split the face. X(

And then there are the times when the face I am trying to modify has inexplicably got its grid rotated so I can't create a nice straight vertical line or a level vent hole or anything.
    Uneplicable Grid Rotations, my current nemesis! gah!

OP: the videos arw down (and so is own3d i guess) any chance we'll see these videos on another channel soon? :)
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    @angelous I believe these videos have been eaten by the internet, which is why eliotmat and I recorded our little tool intro. It's not really a replacement for these, but it was an attempt to bridge some of the knowledge gap on Spark Editor.
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    @angelous I believe these videos have been eaten by the internet, which is why eliotmat and I recorded our little tool intro. It's not really a replacement for these, but it was an attempt to bridge some of the knowledge gap on Spark Editor.
    Well, the internet is a mighty hungry creature! I was just looking for some more tips on mapping and spark :) I'm on the works for two maps now (a LS and a Vanilla one) and was just looking for more tips and tools for it. For the moment I think I know enough, but probably will need some help when trying to do my own props, mesh or cinematics :D

Nonetheless thank you for the current available videos :)