Orthographic Light source

ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
<div class="IPBDescription">New lighting type (Sun)</div><b>DESCRIPTION</b>
<ul><li>Currently to simulate sunlight spotlights are used, this only works for enclosed areas (viewing through window or sky-light)</li><li>Suggesting adding a light source that uses orthographic projection for both light and shadows (as opposed to perspective projection of other lights)</li></ul>

<b>BENEFITS</b>
<ul><li>Allows for the use of believable sunlight in outdoor environments with shadow-casting</li><li>Corrects the perspective error of spotlights on windows (sunlight bending around the window frame)</li></ul>

<b>DRAWBACKS</b>
<ul><li>Requires programming of orthographic light/shadown projection</li><li>Requires programming of editor tool regarding the use of orthographic light sources</li><li>May interfere with crepuscular ray code</li><li>May require rewriting of large sections of lighting code</li></ul>

<b>GLOSSARY</b>
Orthographic projection refers to the use of parallel lines to project a shape (in 2-dimensions). This differs from perspective projection which uses lines that head out from a single source in 3-dimensions. Search "orthographic projection" on Google for a better description.

<!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->Please post a <b><!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> or <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->-1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> in your post, <u>make the vote visible</u>.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Comments

• MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    I have nothing to say to that.

Except, woop woop! :D
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    The official mappers have been bugging Max for a while for this...it will come in time :-)
    It's something I've wanted for awhile, I just never bothered posting a suggestion for it. It's definitely a must-have! I suppose in the meantime we can all settle for epic-sized point-lights/spotlights.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    For preference I'd like a 3ds max 'direct' light.

As in, you make a light, then set the emission area, and it projects in a direction, so you can make localised orthographic lights rather than just one for the entire level coming from the skybox or something.
    <!--quoteo(post=1883342:date=Nov 2 2011, 11:44 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 2 2011, 11:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883342"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For preference I'd like a 3ds max 'direct' light.

As in, you make a light, then set the emission area, and it projects in a direction, so you can make localised orthographic lights rather than just one for the entire level coming from the skybox or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, that is what I mean by this, I used the example of a sun because typically, that's what it's used for.
    Oh true, although personally I rather like the idea of using it with those nice floor grate textures and atmospherics to make a cool looking illuminated mist effect or something.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1883342:date=Nov 2 2011, 04:44 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 2 2011, 04:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883342"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For preference I'd like a 3ds max 'direct' light.

As in, you make a light, then set the emission area, and it projects in a direction, so you can make localised orthographic lights rather than just one for the entire level coming from the skybox or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That is how it will work.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Was that how it worked in Source btw? Sunlight (customized in some other entity, env_sun?) was emitted from skybox-textured blocks.
    edited November 2011
    In source you place a light_environment and set the angle, then it performs some relatively complex calculations to project an ambient fill light and direct sunlight from anywhere there is a skybox texture. It's actually relatively realistic as source does things like bounce computations, and compiled correctly sunlight will fill out a room by itself. env_sun by the way just controls the position of the sun sprite in the sky.

In spark it would be much simpler, you create an emission plane and set the angle, and it traces lines of light from points all over that plane. Instead of tracing many lines outward from a point at all angles, it traces lines outward from all points on a plane at one angle.