Steam Halloween Sale

lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
Games to look out for:

<a href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/107200/" target="_blank">SPAZ (Space Pirates and Zombies).</a> Only 25% off, but worth the money. Polished indie title with action-oriented spaceship combat. Just play the ###### demo if you're unsure.

<a href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/57300/" target="_blank">Amnesia: The Dark Descent.</a> If you didn't already play it, now's your chance. 80% off. A deeply athmospheric game. Not big on the jump scares, foregoing cheap jump scares for creeping psychological horror.

<a href="http://store.steampowered.com/sub/8672/" target="_blank">Dead Space pack.</a> I had mixed feelings about whether to recommend this one. Makes heavy use of the cheap, trite jump scares that Amnesia so amicably (mostly) avoids, but comes with enoyable shoot-off-their-limbs action and, uhm, kung-fu grip? Also lots of curbstompy. Mediocre port: Mostly good, but suffers from a bug that makes vsync cause input lag for many (most?) people.

Or just have a gander for yourself: <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/sale/scary_sale_2011" target="_blank">http://store.steampowered.com/sale/scary_sale_2011</a>

Anyone have anything else to add? Is <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1451/" target="_blank">Penumbra</a> any good? What's it like? Also, don't buy <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/65235/" target="_blank">this</a>, but DO laugh at it.

Comments

• That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    half life costs the same as half life 2

some sale...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Now I know Halloween is supposed to be scary and all, but WHY DOES EVERY GAME NEED A ZOMBIE MOD/ADDITION :D
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    I picked up Vampire: The Masquerade because I've never played it. It's up there on 75% off so it's worth it if you don't have it, I guess, but I'm assuming that's a minority at this point.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1882553:date=Oct 28 2011, 06:47 PM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Oct 28 2011, 06:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I picked up Vampire: The Masquerade because I've never played it. It's up there on 75% off so it's worth it if you don't have it, I guess, but I'm assuming that's a minority at this point.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <strike>Probably because it's $3 on GoG :P</strike> Whups, that's the crappy one on GoG.

Also, there are a bunch of fan patches for the game that are (iirc) good. They add some stuff back into the game and fix a mess of bugs.

I picked up a mess of dual stick style shooters (Nation Red, Zombie hooter, etc) as they were dirt cheap and I have a thing for those types of games.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    I find it odd Doom 3 wasn't in the sale.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I got about two hours into SPAZ and got bored. The combination of pretty rotten writing, samey ship chassis, researching microscopic improvements to my gear, ho-hum combat, little variation, and a galaxy of seemingly endless slog really soured it for me.

Pity.

--Scythe--
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Quick update: Dead Space 2 doesn't have the vsync bug, or I'm not afflicted with it anymore.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    Quick Update: Hl and HL2 still cost $9.99
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1882537:date=Oct 28 2011, 09:40 PM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Oct 28 2011, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882537"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->half life costs the same as half life 2

some sale...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Considering both games are just as good I consider that accurate pricing.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    "Price remains unchanged" isn't an update.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Huge news.

Sorry, had to be done. ;-) Some good games there!
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    Penumbra is fairly good. It feels a bit dated and indie, and it has a bit of what I like to call <i>adventuritis</i> (conjuring up unfathomable, non-evident solutions that are crucial to game progression), but it's incredibly atmospheric and a breath of fresh air in many ways.
    <!--quoteo(post=1882682:date=Oct 29 2011, 07:47 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Oct 29 2011, 07:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Price remains unchanged" isn't an update.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sure it is, think of it like a computer program

go check to see if it's changed
    it hasn't
    new info: still the same

Think of it as computer cycles O_o

Y so srs lolfighter?

Also yeah, hl and hl2 are both awesome, it's just one is clearly worth $5 and the other is still worth $9.99
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1882594:date=Oct 29 2011, 12:49 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Oct 29 2011, 12:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882594"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got about two hours into SPAZ and got bored. The combination of pretty rotten writing, samey ship chassis, researching microscopic improvements to my gear, ho-hum combat, little variation, and a galaxy of seemingly endless slog really soured it for me.

Pity.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I actually loved SPAZ all the way through. The writing is awful, I cannot disagree with that. I just found the combat so enjoyable that it kept me playing to the end. I didn't find the upgrades particularly microscopic, though you have to make sure to specialize in a few things rather than trying to be an all-rounder or you'll waste too many points. By the end of the game, I was a killing machine. I wouldn't have the patience to play it on harder than normal difficulty though. It was enough of a timesink on normal.

As a tangent, I always find it bizarre when a game has bad writing. The plot is actually fine for what it is - it just needs some editing. No doubt they could have found someone to edit it and make it read a lot better for super cheap or free, considering the entire dialogue of the game could probably fit on like 15 typed pages. It's not like people who speak proper English are THAT hard to find.