Performance that doesnt make sense

GadzooksGadzooks Join Date: 2007-11-08 Member: 62860Members
So i was just doing some random testing of performance to try to see if I could make any sense of it.

There were places on the map where I would face a wall, and get 10 fps. using r_stats id see over 1000 draw calls, and 500,000 primatives.

Id turn and face the hive, and eggs, and other aliens running around, and the number of draws and primatives would drop by over half, and my FPS would shoot back up to 50 or so.

Staring at a wall should net me the best framerate i can get, not the other way around. It doesnt happen everywhere, but its that way all throughout the levels.

Another performance issue that doesnt make much sense to me.

Me vs 1 enemy in combat. My FPS goes from 50ish, down to 10-15.

vs

Me standing around 10+ other players in the ready room = 50 steady fps.

or

Me spectating 5+ players in combat = 50 fps

Just something for the devs to think about.

Performance will drive players away from this game faster than any balance issues or fancy features. Yes, its beta, which is why im not yelling about how it sucks, or how i want my money back. But being beta, now is the time to make sure these things get fixed BEFORE the game is OUT of beta. Patch after patch, and it doesnt seem like gameplay is any more smooth for me.

/Fingers crossed

Comments

• MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    Christ dude. It's unoptimized. IT's actually far better right now than it was in the past. It's called a beta, but honestly, it's still Alpha. There is nothing we can do; the Team is working on it, it is very wll known.

And it's still a Alpha / Beta, far from launch. It's not going to release in 6 months, probably not even 12...it's far from launch, so they have time.

Also, post yer specs.

I have:

Q6600 @ 3.3GHZ
    GTX470
    4GB RAM
    Plenty HDD Space
    Windows 7 64-bit

And I get, on high, 1920 x 1200, 60 FPS usually ,lowering to 40-50 during large matches, and as low as 35 during combat. My rig would even be considered quite old, minus my GPU, so I think my performance is reasonable, as unoptimized as it is.

Staring at a wall gives you the best FPS? Oh wow, no way! I mean, that's totally not like it has far, far less to render, so system usage is decreased.
  • GadzooksGadzooks Join Date: 2007-11-08 Member: 62860Members
    edited October 2011
    I was merely pointing out oddities I have found while playing the BETA.

Devs need to have info given to them by beta testers so games dont leave beta with tons of problems.

And you read my post wrong. Staring at a wall often gives me the WORST fps.
    As your sarcastic remark states "Staring at a wall gives you the best FPS? Oh wow, no way! I mean, that's totally not like it has far, far less to render, so system usage is decreased." it should give me BETTER fps.

Dont be so quick to slam someone for stating issues they have found during a beta. We all love NS, and are here to help the devs make NS2 a great game.
    Yes, but they are very, very aware of performance issues...if you had searched, or even looked at any of the topics on this page, or any page really, you'd see plenty of topics bout this already, and devs answers, that they are working on it.
    They have been "Very very aware" of performance issues since they first started allowing pre-order customers the ability to test the game. And yet, lots of us arent testing the game because its still very very bad performance.

The devs have a great resource in those of us who have pre ordered the game, in that we can find bugs and problems with the game before it goes live. But if lots of us arent testing it because its near unplayable in its current state, then they are just wasting that resource.

Things that cant be tested well if performance keeps the game from being playable:

1. Gameplay mechanics
    2. Gameplay Balance
    3. Server stability
    4. Bugs (like broken hitboxes, holes in maps, getting stuck in objects, etc etc)

and more.

A lot of the patch notes seem to focus on the above issues, which honestly dont matter to me or many others right now because we cant even play the game well enough to test these changes/fixes/additions.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    he is right that its odd his performance is backwards though.

maybe verify cache files, try different drivers (youd be surprised), try a different OS (dualboot if you want, i do.)
    and check out cpu-z, speed fan, and prime95 for monitoring your cpu, heat, and stress testing, respectively.

you told me your specs already ingame and you shouldnt be having these problems. background apps? whats your available ram when just sitting at the desktop?
    theres alot of potential answers, but start with eliminating the obvious ones i mentioned above first.
    then, as they say, get back to me in the morning.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    Making a map I have studied these issues as well. What I've noticed is sometimes when you are too close to the wall and you look straight at it, the engine renders a lot of things behind it. But when you move away a bit the occlusion knows better.
    Buddy, the latest revision upped performance noticbly. Everyone saw a big increase, and it stopped FPS spikes alot. They still happen, but far less frequent. They are focusing on performance, also.

And I can play the game well enough, and my rig is old. I've played like 14 hours of it, not alot, but enough, and it's been enjoyable, sans the bugs. The things you mentioned above, #3 & #4, have alot to do with performance, you know?
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    edited October 2011
    occlusion culling is broken. means stuff behind the wall is being rendered. just simple as that. if you look in a direction which doesnt contain parts of the map behind a wall you usually get better fps.
    max and the rest knows this, is working on it, but its not ready.
    you just have to keep paitent :P
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    you can check if too much is drawed using: r_wireframe 1 when cheats are on.
  • ToSsHiBaToSsHiBa Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127084Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1880121:date=Oct 16 2011, 02:32 AM:name=Gadzooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gadzooks @ Oct 16 2011, 02:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880121"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They have been "Very very aware" of performance issues since they first started allowing pre-order customers the ability to test the game. And yet, lots of us arent testing the game because its still very very bad performance.

The devs have a great resource in those of us who have pre ordered the game, in that we can find bugs and problems with the game before it goes live. But if lots of us arent testing it because its near unplayable in its current state, then they are just wasting that resource.

Things that cant be tested well if performance keeps the game from being playable:

1. Gameplay mechanics
    2. Gameplay Balance
    3. Server stability
    4. Bugs (like broken hitboxes, holes in maps, getting stuck in objects, etc etc)

and more.

A lot of the patch notes seem to focus on the above issues, which honestly dont matter to me or many others right now because we cant even play the game well enough to test these changes/fixes/additions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i agree with u guys but i bought this game almost a week and i'm getting tired of this performace, if just get some better would be good is not far to be ok.... and fix memory problem

but. let's wait... it's all we can
  • GertjanGertjan Join Date: 2011-08-30 Member: 119151Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1880115:date=Oct 16 2011, 10:13 AM:name=Mkilbride)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mkilbride @ Oct 16 2011, 10:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And it's still a Alpha / Beta, far from launch. It's not going to release in 6 months, probably not even 12...it's far from launch, so they have time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh damnit, 12months ???? :'( nooooooooo!!
  • cmcpasserbycmcpasserby Join Date: 2011-10-09 Member: 126489Members
    why do so many people expect development releases to be optimized and run smooth as butter, even released game engines usually have some issues to sort out after release, remember how buggy source was on hl2 release?

there is prolly a year+ of work before RC for NS2, there not done working with game-play and there still adding engine features so you can really effectively work on optimization till there is a feature lock.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    They do have a second engine developer now so I expect things to speed up a little soon.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Optimization remains our key focus, but we can't let it stop us from continuing work on the rest of the game as well. There is not one magic fix that will double the framerate in one patch, it's an accumulative process that improves it little by little. If you compare the state of the performance in the game to a year ago, there have been huge improvements on the server and client side, and has taken a lot of dedicated programming time and effort to get there.

Many of the odd framerate drops that you experience, such as looking at a wall, or in random spots in a map are due to the current occlusion system, which can cause a lot of random drawing of map geometry that is not visible. Max is working on the new occlusion system now, which will hopefully make the overall framerate a little more consistent, without as many drops.

The game is going to get where it needs to, on the performance side, but it will still take some time, and meanwhile we are going to continue to release patches that have new gameplay features, and bug fixes, along with the sometimes small and sometimes large, optimizations.

--Cory
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    In other words all this talk about CHC++ will end up in implementation of traditional BSP or something similar. :>
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1880114:date=Oct 16 2011, 03:09 AM:name=Gadzooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gadzooks @ Oct 16 2011, 03:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880114"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There were places on the map where I would face a wall, and get 10 fps. using r_stats id see over 1000 draw calls, and 500,000 primatives.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's because it's drawing half the freaking map. Use r_wireframe to see what it is actually drawing.
    <!--quoteo(post=1880163:date=Oct 16 2011, 09:01 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Oct 16 2011, 09:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880163"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Optimization remains our key focus, but we can't let it stop us from continuing work on the rest of the game as well. There is not one magic fix that will double the framerate in one patch, it's an accumulative process that improves it little by little. If you compare the state of the performance in the game to a year ago, there have been huge improvements on the server and client side, and has taken a lot of dedicated programming time and effort to get there.

Many of the odd framerate drops that you experience, such as looking at a wall, or in random spots in a map are due to the current occlusion system, which can cause a lot of random drawing of map geometry that is not visible. Max is working on the new occlusion system now, which will hopefully make the overall framerate a little more consistent, without as many drops.

The game is going to get where it needs to, on the performance side, but it will still take some time, and meanwhile we are going to continue to release patches that have new gameplay features, and bug fixes, along with the sometimes small and sometimes large, optimizations.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good to hear

Just a suggestion then. I (and possibly many others) would like to better test these new gameplay features. However, to do so, the game needs to run smoother.<b> Please include more options in the video settings</b> to enable/disable many of the graphical "wonders" of the game so that the game can run smooth enough for me to actually test the other features. As of right now, the "horribly awful" setting really doesnt look that horribly awful which means there are still a lot of FPS reducing graphical things going on. And yes, im aware of bloom false and shadows false (shadows false doesnt seem to do anything). Doing this sooner, rather than closer to release, would allow us to side step possibly many of the performance hindering aspects of the beta test, allowing us to better give feedback and bug reports on the rest of the game.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1880125:date=Oct 16 2011, 09:45 AM:name=nUfl0w)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nUfl0w @ Oct 16 2011, 09:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880125"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->occlusion culling is broken. means stuff behind the wall is being rendered. just simple as that. if you look in a direction which doesnt contain parts of the map behind a wall you usually get better fps.
    max and the rest knows this, is working on it, but its not ready.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They've been saying that for so long I've actually forgotten how long it's been.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2011
    Look on the bright side if you can, right now if I'm not mistaken it is pretty common for the entire map to be rendered all at once. If you can play the game even a little bit now with that kind of stressor, imagine how smooth the game will run when it is only rendering one <i>hallway</i>.

Then again, I don't understand the current broken occlusion stuff, I could be wrong.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    One thing I've always found interesting is how the occlusion culling seems to be falling apart more the longer the game runs. Any idea what kind of issue might lead to that?
    edited October 2011
    Dude, 90% of the graphical options in the game are disabled, even @ High.

r_shadow / shadows false, type that.

r_flash false

Type that, you've done what you can, basically. They actually have much more intensive graphical options to turn on yet. r_atmospherics for example, will kill your FPS, though it's a nice effect.

Not much they can do now...this is a glorified alpha man, you need to understand this...the devs are very aware of everything you've been telling them; they've heard it about 200x by now.

"something awful" looks awful, it looks like a 2002-2003 game man, you really can't go lower than that. My rig is out-dated, as I've said, and I can manage high @ 1920 x 1200 and the lowest I go is 35 in the commanders seat.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    I also had some performances that doesn't make sense tonight : fps > 60, server tickrate : 30, ping (on scoreboard and in net_stats) under 100ms but horrible lag, the one that take you back when you try to walk.

Is it just the ping indicators that are broken ? It would be nice to have something like net_graph working.
    <!--quoteo(post=1880335:date=Oct 17 2011, 11:47 AM:name=Mkilbride)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mkilbride @ Oct 17 2011, 11:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"something awful" looks awful, it looks like a 2002-2003 game man, you really can't go lower than that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Interesting how "Something awful" still looks better than the best graphics in NS1.

That tells me there are still performance hindering graphic options that can be disabled. Post processing, certain lighting effects, shadows (r_shadows false does nothing it seems). texture resolution, texture filtering, etc etc.

All im requesting is that the options be put in. If you disagree, thats your opinion, but i dont think these forums are the place you should go to troll those who think differently.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1880342:date=Oct 17 2011, 02:18 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Oct 17 2011, 02:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880342"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also had some performances that doesn't make sense tonight : fps > 60, server tickrate : 30, ping (on scoreboard and in net_stats) under 100ms but horrible lag, the one that take you back when you try to walk.

Is it just the ping indicators that are broken ? It would be nice to have something like net_graph working.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

could be choke on that server? did you watch that tick rate consistently? i've noticed similar incidences and it was usually on a 10 player slot server, leading me to believe it was the inadequate hardware the server was running on that caused the occasional banding.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1880325:date=Oct 17 2011, 07:35 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Oct 17 2011, 07:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880325"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They've been saying that for so long I've actually forgotten how long it's been.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dont forget it was a 1 man job that had to fix the bugs first so we can actually play without major bugs.
    Now they have time for the big things like Animation System and OC-System aaaand they hired a 2. Engine Programer!

Btw when does the new UWE employer introduces himself or did I missed something?
    <!--quoteo(post=1880343:date=Oct 17 2011, 10:27 PM:name=Gadzooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gadzooks @ Oct 17 2011, 10:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880343"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Interesting how "Something awful" still looks better than the best graphics in NS1.

That tells me there are still performance hindering graphic options that can be disabled. Post processing, certain lighting effects, shadows (r_shadows false does nothing it seems). texture resolution, texture filtering, etc etc.

All im requesting is that the options be put in. If you disagree, thats your opinion, but i dont think these forums are the place you should go to troll those who think differently.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It'll take extra time they could fix something worthwhile. Honestly, lowering settings won't really affect your performance much at this point.

And I'd hope it looks better than NS1, NS1 is built off a Gldsrc, which was a modified Quake II engine. So around 1997, even though Gldsrc can be pushed far. There is only so low an Engine can go...this is a custom Engine, Spark, it's not going to look like NS1, no matter what you do. Different lighting system, different engine entirely...
  • TomDTomD Join Date: 2010-07-31 Member: 73393Members
    I'm no expert, but the issues with occlusion seem to be a fundamental error in the code, not just a case of "Well if we make this optimization we can squeeze a few more fps out of it". From my understanding of the algorithm (someone said they're using CHC++), when looking directly at a wall, the wall being the only thing in view, nothing that is behind it should be rendered.

If it was just a case of performance, the algorithm might take a long long time, but will eventually come out with the correct result that the things behind the wall shouldn't be rendered. But instead it's just coming out with the wrong result. It's like the object hierarchy is being constructed wrong or, seeing as it's dynamic, perhaps being corrupted (hence performance drop?). Wish the engine source was available to us :P
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1880350:date=Oct 17 2011, 09:47 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Oct 17 2011, 09:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->could be choke on that server? did you watch that tick rate consistently? i've noticed similar incidences and it was usually on a 10 player slot server, leading me to believe it was the inadequate hardware the server was running on that caused the occasional banding.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tickrates were stable, and I tried different servers (an empty one), and it didn't change anything. But my internet was really bad at some point yesterday, so I guess it's just the ping indicators that do not work.
  • ogzogzogzogz Join Date: 2011-10-01 Member: 124902Members
    i noticed that if you lose network connection
    your # drawing particles skyrockets
    occulation requests skirockets

and fps goes to nothing...

so wondering if its some network issue that is causing the wrong 'response' from server when trying to calculate what to render
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1880398:date=Oct 18 2011, 04:32 AM:name=TomD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TomD @ Oct 18 2011, 04:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880398"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm no expert, but the issues with occlusion seem to be a fundamental error in the code, not just a case of "Well if we make this optimization we can squeeze a few more fps out of it". From my understanding of the algorithm (someone said they're using CHC++), when looking directly at a wall, the wall being the only thing in view, nothing that is behind it should be rendered.

If it was just a case of performance, the algorithm might take a long long time, but will eventually come out with the correct result that the things behind the wall shouldn't be rendered. But instead it's just coming out with the wrong result. It's like the object hierarchy is being constructed wrong or, seeing as it's dynamic, perhaps being corrupted (hence performance drop?). Wish the engine source was available to us :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i guess that is why it has been recoded. We don't know if it will still use CHC+ or not, but at least it will be a new code.