Are we losing the hype over this?

Comments

• konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1877656:date=Oct 1 2011, 12:18 PM:name=Skyforger2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skyforger2 @ Oct 1 2011, 12:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I lost my hype over ns2 long time ago, i still check tweets and news daily, but don't play ns2, only when new releases come out for few hours.
    I do play ns1 still on Wonga server. It's good. Love ns1 !<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wonga for life! although I've not seen you on there before under that nickname ;o
  • legolego Join Date: 2003-06-30 Member: 17819Members, Constellation
    Ns2 lost a big chunk of it's hype a long time ago when many people realized running the game properly wasn't a possibility. That coupled with the fact that no one really plays the alpha/beta anyway. Without the "wow this is awesome" buzz that people generate around games they can play it's hard to get excited about a product. Is the core of NS2 really atmospheric and great yes, but the overall playability kills any type of potential hype. I know Corey said things have to be fixed over time but it's taking an awfully long time to make the game stable enough so the masses of pre-order "alpha/beta" players can actually play the game. Honestly it would be a good faith move by UWE to just give everyone who has currently bought Ns2 black armor. Especially considering a big majority can't even play the game properly which leads to people buying a product they can't even really do anything with in it's current iteration.

A good faith move might make people less inclined to get a refund. Pre-orders now are just as important as before yet there is no bonus except a buggy beta that causes more frustration then joy.

Food for thought.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    While it wasn't an option for the beta period purchasers, the ones who got that black armor paid extra for their copy and that armor, it'd be a bit unfair to the people who paid extra to have it just given away to everyone currently. So while it might seem a good faith move, it might just frustrate more people.
  • SteinhauerSteinhauer Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72493Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1877669:date=Oct 1 2011, 08:00 AM:name=Kurrine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurrine @ Oct 1 2011, 08:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877669"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While it wasn't an option for the beta period purchasers, the ones who got that black armor paid extra for their copy and that armor, it'd be a bit unfair to the people who paid extra to have it just given away to everyone currently. So while it might seem a good faith move, it might just frustrate more people.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. Plus, do you really think giving the negative people black armor is really going to change anything for them? Especially since people who don't have black armor are often people who didn't care about it enough to preorder special edition?
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited October 2011
    Didn't they say that black armour was exclusively for people who bought the special edition way back? I'd be happy if everyone who bought beta got something special, but since they sold the black armour as an exclusive thing it would really suck it they gave that away for no cost to others. After that I wouldn't pay extra for anything cos they might give it for free later.

When we saw the dynamic infestation video that really made me excited and was a big factor in purchasing the game. Once I got this game and found I get really bad performance (5-25fps) it is annoying, but it does slowly improve as they release new builds, so one day hopefully it'll work well and there will still be other people playing.
  • -[420]-Papageorgio-[420]-Papageorgio Join Date: 2011-09-23 Member: 122961Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1877603:date=Sep 30 2011, 07:09 PM:name=fmpone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fmpone @ Sep 30 2011, 07:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><i>Interesting.... </i> :P

Anyways, the game should be a lot of fun. Look at what its actually competing against, if you get too pessimistic. There's an AVP game being released soon, but NS2 still seems unique<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually the biggest competition for ns2 right now is nuclear dawn. The game doesnt have as much depth so it will get boring much faster, but it is enjoyable to play.

As for losing interest in ns2 that is definitely happening in my situation. I'm done with 185 and to be honest, there really isnt much to look forward to in 186. The only new features that are really going to make a difference are the dynamic alien spawn times and the new look of the rifle.

186 will pretty much be the same game without the hundreds of bugs that came with 185. So pretty much 186 is just a playable version of 185. At this rate of new builds taking 5 to 6 weeks to release and really only bug fixes being accomplished, it seems like atleast a year before we have a complete game to play. When that time does come, we will all have an amazing game at our finger tips.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There are more things comming:
    •Squad Spawn
    •alien Spawning
    •Reworked Infestation
    •Map Changes
    •new rifle
    •almost all bugs fixed

That isn't a better Version of 185 it will be 186.
  • -[420]-Papageorgio-[420]-Papageorgio Join Date: 2011-09-23 Member: 122961Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1877696:date=Oct 1 2011, 02:23 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Oct 1 2011, 02:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877696"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are more things comming:
    •Squad Spawn
    •alien Spawning
    •Reworked Infestation
    •Map Changes
    •new rifle't
    •almost all bugs fixed

That isn't a better Version of 185 it will be 186.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All of the added features you mentioned are very minor and won't add much depth. Depth and complexity is what keeps people interested.

Two of the features such as dynamic alien spawning and the rifle changes I already stated in the post above. Rome wasn't built in a day, I know it takes time. I'm just saying at this rate we are looking at a long time.
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1877697:date=Oct 1 2011, 02:38 PM:name=-[420]-Papageorgio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-[420]-Papageorgio @ Oct 1 2011, 02:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877697"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    All of the added features you mentioned are very minor and won't add much depth. Depth and complexity is what keeps people interested.

Two of the features such as dynamic alien spawning and the rifle changes I already stated in the post above. Rome wasn't built in a day, I know it takes time. I'm just saying at this rate we are looking at a long time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Most of us knew it wouldn't be out till next year at least around March, it will probably be even longer than that but I am expecting it so no loss here. Glad I purchased the game just a few month's ago and not a year ago though, they allowed pre-purchasing way to early in the development cycle IMHO as to many gave up on the game. However I am sure they needed the money to continue development. So it is hard to get frustrated at them for it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1877701:date=Oct 1 2011, 03:29 PM:name=MaGicBush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaGicBush @ Oct 1 2011, 03:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877701"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most of us knew it wouldn't be out till next year at least around March, it will probably be even longer than that but I am expecting it so no loss here. Glad I purchased the game just a few month's ago and not a year ago though, they allowed pre-purchasing way to early in the development cycle IMHO as to many gave up on the game. However I am sure they needed the money to continue development. So it is hard to get frustrated at them for it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
    Wait. Most of us knew in May 2009 it wouldn't be out until March 2012?

Someone sure kept that one a secret from me.
    <!--quoteo(post=1877708:date=Oct 1 2011, 03:36 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Oct 1 2011, 03:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait. Most of us knew in May 2009 it wouldn't be out until March 2012?

Someone sure kept that one a secret from me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It should have been obvious from the updates and state of the game at that time, but as I said I only got this a few month's ago so I can't make much of a opinion on that aspect. I just knew when I bought it after looking up such things it would still be a year or so off.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited October 2011
    It mostly doesn't help that we've had pretty much nothing but summit to play for months, tram is buggy for some and rockdown is a testmap. The new performance improvements with this next patch will bring us ever closer to UWE releasing some more of their own maps. On top of that the community is starting to release early versions of maps lately and some servers are willing to test them. Up until a week or two ago I hadn't seen anything but triad really being tested publicly.

185 is admittedly with it's lower performance a difficult patch to have to wait on for 4 or so weeks for another patch. 186 and soon a few more maps that are sufficiently unique will hopefully be a bit of a moral booster.

Edit: Oh yeah, Onos and Exos and jetpacks, oh my.
  • FriekFriek Join Date: 2003-11-06 Member: 22343Members
    Oh my +1 Still hyped up
    <!--quoteo(post=1877710:date=Oct 1 2011, 09:59 PM:name=MaGicBush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaGicBush @ Oct 1 2011, 09:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877710"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It should have been obvious from the updates and state of the game at that time, but as I said I only got this a few month's ago so I can't make much of a opinion on that aspect. I just knew when I bought it after looking up such things it would still be a year or so off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In May 2009 there was a trailer with a Fall release date. How could we know the state of the game?
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    Half Life Episode 3. Need I say more?
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    I've lost a lot of interest now and i don't think the next patch will change that unless we see something more interesting and fun than a load of bugfixes, making us wait this long is unnecessarily and a poor show on their part to be honest, the way i see it if they've got stuff to release than do so, even if it's just bug fixes every other week, also this need of theirs to excessively playtest right at the end of the week to release a patch isn't fair to us beta testers, we can live with a few bugs here and there, as long as it isn't game breaking of course.

To sum it up let us beta test what you've got every other week, stop stringing us along in tweets and getting our hopes up only to be let down when the weekend hits, all it does is breed negativity.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1877701:date=Oct 1 2011, 03:29 PM:name=MaGicBush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaGicBush @ Oct 1 2011, 03:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877701"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most of us knew it wouldn't be out till next year at least around March, it will probably be even longer than that but I am expecting it so no loss here. Glad I purchased the game just a few month's ago and not a year ago though, they allowed pre-purchasing way to early in the development cycle IMHO as to many gave up on the game. However I am sure they needed the money to continue development. So it is hard to get frustrated at them for it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They opened it up for Pre-Order for funds. Originally at the time of the order they were going to ship with a lot less features. Pre-order money allowed for continued development. Cant find the dang post but basically (if i remember correctly) DI, Exo Suit, and other things were getting the axe before the influx of money.
    <!--quoteo(post=1877759:date=Oct 2 2011, 03:42 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Oct 2 2011, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877759"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They opened it up for Pre-Order for funds. Originally at the time of the order they were going to ship with a lot less features. Pre-order money allowed for continued development. Cant find the dang post but basically (if i remember correctly) DI, Exo Suit, and other things were getting the axe before the influx of money.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That was the note at the time yes. Now go watch Flayra's GDC presentation for the truth.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    I wouldn't say I lost interest, I lost willpower to try and follow the cryptic changes to the mapping guidlines, meaning that the guidlines have not been <b>update</b>d and the updated information pertaining to them are strewn throughout the forums and changelogs (hint). Not to keen on spending hours waypointing only to hear they have plans to ditch the waypointing system, yeah, that kind of stuff.

It's still an awesome game with lots of polish already in but, It seems like a hell of allot of the pressure is put on the engine programmers, This could have been avoided by using an existing engine and building your game around it and In practical business application this is referred to as "streamlining", not per-say to discard content but to use an alternate work around. (water,ladders, ect.....) I can't help to think if it where on a ready to roll engine if it would have been done months ago, Maybe the developers see it differently but only they know the real reasoning behind the extra work, I can't help but feel a bit betrayed as selling the game was partly to fund the build of the engine in turn we (the buyers) will have no access to other than modding off of the game it's self. Like I said before, I liked NS1 and I payed now for what i got 10 years ago.

I will still recommend this game highly and I still see my purchase as paying for all the good times in NS1. When the final product launches, Only then can i give an honest answer of my interest to play and or promote it. For the time being I have abandoned all projects related but I'm sure that will change.

Signed, Optimistic
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1877763:date=Oct 2 2011, 05:35 PM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Oct 2 2011, 05:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877763"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't help but feel a bit betrayed as selling the game was partly to fund the build of the engine in turn we (the buyers) will have no access to other than modding off of the game it's self. Like I said before, I liked NS1 and I payed now for what i got 10 years ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wouldn't call it betrayed, since you knew what you were "funding", although, granted, probably everyone (including UWE) underestimated the time the engine development is taking.

Also it is a little shortsighted to say that we don't really benefit from partly paying for the development of the engine. Eventually UWE will have some financial gain from their engine (and I'm sure they will considering they've already got some experience and success with decoda), which means they'll have more resources to improve and support NS2 and to work on a possible expansion pack or whatever.

They chose the more difficult way, that doesn't make it wrong.
    I can't see financial gain from the engine. It's DX 9. There's much better supported engines DX9+ that can be used. Look at Unity, Source, UDK as examples developers can use that are better.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1877744:date=Oct 2 2011, 12:12 PM:name=Magneto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Magneto @ Oct 2 2011, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877744"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've lost a lot of interest now and i don't think the next patch will change that unless we see something more interesting and fun than a load of bugfixes, making us wait this long is unnecessarily and a poor show on their part to be honest, the way i see it if they've got stuff to release than do so, even if it's just bug fixes every other week, also this need of theirs to excessively playtest right at the end of the week to release a patch isn't fair to us beta testers, we can live with a few bugs here and there, as long as it isn't game breaking of course.

To sum it up let us beta test what you've got every other week, stop stringing us along in tweets and getting our hopes up only to be let down when the weekend hits, all it does is breed negativity.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We have found that it is very difficult to add the more "interesting and fun" features into the game when we are on a constant patch release schedule. It takes time to get that stuff in the game and thoroughly tested, and some big system reworks can break the game when first added. We find ourselves focusing on lower level bug fixes, in order to get a patch out to the public that is playable, instead of bigger features.

We are taking so long with 186 because we want to get a patch out to the public that will be much more playable then 185, so that we can spend a good chunk of time on 187 getting in a lot of things we've had to hold off on. We've heard some of the arguments from the community that we should just release patches with all the bugs in them and let them playtest it, but realistically that doesn't work out too well. As has been seen with 185, players quickly get tired and frustrated dealing with the bugs and performance issues and black screen issues, and just stop playing, which is to be expected.

I'm sure its frustrating to see tweets about the patch being close, and then it doesn't get released, but it is frustrating for us as well. We don't just wait until the end of the week to PT these patches, we generally are bug fixing and testing extensively all week long. But sometimes fixing issues can generate new bugs, that hold up the release of a patch at the last minute. There's really no perfect process for this, which is why most developers don't release early work in progress versions of their games to the public.

We thank you for your patience, and 186 and 187 will both be patches worth waiting for.

--Cory
    <!--quoteo(post=1877779:date=Oct 2 2011, 12:15 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Oct 2 2011, 12:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We have found that it is very difficult to add the more "interesting and fun" features into the game when we are on a constant patch release schedule. It takes time to get that stuff in the game and thoroughly tested, and some big system reworks can break the game when first added. We find ourselves focusing on lower level bug fixes, in order to get a patch out to the public that is playable, instead of bigger features.

We are taking so long with 186 because we want to get a patch out to the public that will be much more playable then 185, so that we can spend a good chunk of time on 187 getting in a lot of things we've had to hold off on. We've heard some of the arguments from the community that we should just release patches with all the bugs in them and let them playtest it, but realistically that doesn't work out too well. As has been seen with 185, players quickly get tired and frustrated dealing with the bugs and performance issues and black screen issues, and just stop playing, which is to be expected.

I'm sure its frustrating to see tweets about the patch being close, and then it doesn't get released, but it is frustrating for us as well. We don't just wait until the end of the week to PT these patches, we generally are bug fixing and testing extensively all week long. But sometimes fixing issues can generate new bugs, that hold up the release of a patch at the last minute. There's really no perfect process for this, which is why most developers don't release early work in progress versions of their games to the public.

We thank you for your patience, and 186 and 187 will both be patches worth waiting for.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ohh, Onos in 187 :D.
  • MonoLOLMonoLOL Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21657Members, Constellation
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1877786:date=Oct 2 2011, 07:03 PM:name=MaGicBush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaGicBush @ Oct 2 2011, 07:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ohh, Onos in 187 :D.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

oh noes you didn't

p.s gimme my bloody vet status back ###### :(
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    Waning a bit, tbh. Major issue for me is the lack of players. There is usually only one or two populated servers and they are full. So I don't play.

It does nothing, however, to diminish my hard, throbbing, er... <i>love</i> for UWE.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1877744:date=Oct 2 2011, 07:12 AM:name=Magneto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Magneto @ Oct 2 2011, 07:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877744"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've lost a lot of interest now and i don't think the next patch will change that unless we see something more interesting and fun than a load of bugfixes, making us wait this long is unnecessarily and a poor show on their part to be honest<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What did you expect from a game in beta? All I can say with that attitude is to come back when it's finished or closer to v1.0. If you have no patience for beta development that is. I'd rather have a great game take a longer period of time to develop than an okay game that doesn't take nearly as long. UWE is a relatively small team with limited resources. Don't expect things to happen overnight. Give it some time; as mentioned...it'll be worth waiting for.
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1877818:date=Oct 2 2011, 05:32 PM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Oct 2 2011, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What did you expect from a game in beta? All I can say with that attitude is to come back when it's finished or closer to v1.0. If you have no patience for beta development that is. I'd rather have a great game take a longer period of time to develop than an okay game that doesn't take nearly as long. UWE is a relatively small team with limited resources. Don't expect things to happen overnight. Give it some time; as mentioned...it'll be worth waiting for.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

By time do you mean something like the 6 weeks that it has taken to produce one build? lols, what is this talk about this over night stuff?
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited October 2011
    Patience is key; that is the number one rule during beta.

By time I'm referring to how long it takes to produce something that is considered playable. Not how long it takes to produce builds. As far as I know there has never been a set-in-stone wait period for build releases. They are released when they are ready; and 186 isn't ready just yet...So what? They want it to be good enough so that they can focus on other things like new gameplay features, mechanics, additions etc. Once 186 is released it may take just as long for 187 to drop; or longer depending upon new bugs or whatever issues may arise.
    <!--quoteo(post=1877826:date=Oct 2 2011, 06:22 PM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Oct 2 2011, 06:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877826"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Patience is key; that is the number one rule during beta.

By time I'm referring to how long it takes to produce something that is considered playable. Not how long it takes to produce builds. As far as I know there has never been a set-in-stone wait period for build releases. They are released when they are ready; and 186 isn't ready just yet...So what? They want it to be good enough so that they can focus on other things like new gameplay features, mechanics, additions etc. Once 186 is released it may take just as long for 187 to drop; or longer depending upon new bugs or whatever issues may arise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I understand your point and what you are trying to get at. Im just stating that by now, I dont think anyone expects anything to happen over night. NS2 is going to be the total shiznit when its done though. That I will agree upon.