Gorge : Hydra and cyst placement

SeljunkSeljunk Join Date: 2008-05-04 Member: 64212Members
Hej guys,

I've been playing allot of games as gorge lately and placing hydras on the side of the walls and ceilings
really adds a surprise effect. Allthough it is very hard to place them on the ceiling when there are'nt any rails in the room or any other
objects to jump on so i can place the hydras high enough.

If the cyst and hydra ability would came out of a seed that the gorge can spit it would really add a huge tactical point to gorge building.
We can't put down any RT's or hives anymore so why not work on placement of the hydras? Since we can't bite and only spit attack, the Seed
where the cyst and hydra grow out looks pretty normal and acceptable to me if we can 'spit those out'

let me know what u guys think !

Comments

• TopperTopper Mr. Parasite Himself Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8462Members
    I love this idea, even if it had a small range, it would only need to be far enough to get it above random grenade height.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    wow .. that's an idea !

gorge building plcement on projectile target ... something like pilebomb, but gorge split's th hydra/mini cyst seed :)
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    I like the idea of the gorge spitting out cysts. It can be a pain trying to place them in certain areas.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    This suggestion keeps coming every now and then:p and yeah, I support it:)
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    When I think about it more and more.... this should be most expensive weapon in NS2 :D
    3pres per cyst shot ... and even more: 10pres per hydra shot !
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    Actually you just have to change 1 variable to make that work and fire maybe 1 fake projectile or show a proper cinematic. I did that in my mod (without the projectile stuff, just changed the placement range of buildings). It adds nice atmosphere. you see hydras / cysts all over the place, shooting from all direction on you. It feels not so 2 dimensional as it is in standard ns2. But I'm afraid the design decision is already made and such feature would not make it in the game
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited September 2011
    infestation suppose to grow throughout the whole room, but at its current states its rather limited to the ground level - isn't good. And infestation doesn't work as it was told long ago it would, its rather nerfed right now. Once infestation works better this idea would work, and I do support this idea. being limited to build everything on the ground level only helps marines to easier kill things.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1873339:date=Sep 6 2011, 06:52 PM:name=Smasher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smasher @ Sep 6 2011, 06:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1873339"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This suggestion keeps coming every now and then:p and yeah, I support it:)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True. This idea always comes and goes but the people of UWE do not seem to want to make the idea.
  • LeegionLeegion Join Date: 2011-08-22 Member: 117882Members
    Did anyone ever play on a server in NS1 with the Gorge Grappling hook mod? That was like the coolest thing, they should make it official, and then they wouldn't need to spit anything :P They could simply grapple majestically to the walls and roof.
  • SeljunkSeljunk Join Date: 2008-05-04 Member: 64212Members
    Idk about the hook thing... spitting seeds seems more realistic than a hook, i don't think they want to wander off the NS1 basics allot.
  • Mac1OManMac1OMan Join Date: 2004-10-29 Member: 32510Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    +1 Spit Structures
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    i love this idea to, but maybe should there be a cheap upgrade to spit these?
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    Nah, I don't really think we need another upgrade for this, it's fairly simple and just should be how placement is done from the beginning. Gorges already naturally have the equipment to launch blobs of matter long distances, and the ability to build things. Heck, healspray has a longer range than build right now, we're just missing an entire part of the map we could be using creatively right now.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    It looks like Schimmel didn't have a hard time to edit this into his mod. Makes me wonder why the developers haven't added it to the main game. Is there something balance-wise holding them back?
    Can any of the developers comment on this?
  • CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1873326:date=Sep 6 2011, 04:52 PM:name=Seljunk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seljunk @ Sep 6 2011, 04:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1873326"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hej guys,

I've been playing allot of games as gorge lately and placing hydras on the side of the walls and ceilings
    really adds a surprise effect. Allthough it is very hard to place them on the ceiling when there are'nt any rails in the room or any other
    objects to jump on so i can place the hydras high enough.

If the cyst and hydra ability would came out of a seed that the gorge can spit it would really add a huge tactical point to gorge building.
    We can't put down any RT's or hives anymore so why not work on placement of the hydras? Since we can't bite and only spit attack, the Seed
    where the cyst and hydra grow out looks pretty normal and acceptable to me if we can 'spit those out'

let me know what u guys think !<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1, and another +1, another +1 and a few more untill someone decides to impliment this +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1
  • XerondXerond Undefined Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29817Members, Constellation
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, increasing the gorge's placement range would be very very nice. I do agree, that it is hard to place hydras in good locations because of the range. If we can change even just the hydra placement to have a short projectile(but still have the ghost structure preview, so you know if it's possible or not, or beyond range) that would open up a lot more creativity for players.

+1

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually you just have to change 1 variable to make that work and fire maybe 1 fake projectile or show a proper cinematic. I did that in my mod (without the projectile stuff, just changed the placement range of buildings). It adds nice atmosphere. you see hydras / cysts all over the place, shooting from all direction on you. It feels not so 2 dimensional as it is in standard ns2. But I'm afraid the design decision is already made and such feature would not make it in the game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So, they have no interest at all in possibly modifying it? I can understand not spending time on creating a projectile and stuff like that, but I'd imagine at least increasing the placement range a tad isn't too much to ask?
  • SeaStormSeaStorm Join Date: 2011-05-15 Member: 98808Members
    +1 this

would be awesome to have turrets up the walls so a single Nadelauncher can just wipe all defence
  • PathdrcPathdrc Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44289Members
    +1

Great idea! I too would really like to see this.

...or maybe let lerks lift the gorgies? lol
    That was just a joke - really.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    How about gorg bouning upgrade?
    Inflating and can jump and double bounce real high and place hydra on the ceilings np.. etc

Question: Does bile bomb cause damage to marine armor? Not HP?
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1876659:date=Sep 23 2011, 08:28 PM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Sep 23 2011, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876659"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about gorg bouning upgrade?
    Inflating and can jump and double bounce real high and place hydra on the ceilings np.. etc

Question: Does bile bomb cause damage to marine armor? Not HP?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bile Bombs do structure-only damage, with the stipulation that things like ARCs have been given the structure tag.
  • CannonFodder100CannonFodder100 Join Date: 2011-09-14 Member: 121355Members
    I approve. If this is implemented, it would require a means of displaying the ultimate placement location; drawing a dotted-line graph of a 3d projectile arc would do nicely.
  • ChinaChina Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 112029Members
    I thought of a seed-spitting thing as well, about a month or so ago.

Say he spits the mini cyst out, it takes more res to spit the projectile out and it's harder to make sure it's exactly the angle you want it, but reguardless it'll still give off infestation when grown.

The gorge can then spit a set of three seeds at the same time, kin to a shotgun almost, but much weaker and effected by gravity maybe? This is the hydra seeds. Each seed turns into a separate hydra, the damage of each one is 1/3rd of a regular hydra, so if they manage to land in the same area, its the same as a normal hydra, but if they are spread out they whittle down enemy health and armor a bit slower due to reduced damage.

This makes planning the angle of the shot very important. But because they can be spread apart like that, they have a slightly higher chance of living fromg grenades and other marines' assaults. It's something i was taught already in ns2, if you spread the hydras out, a few grenades wont take them ALL out but just a couple (it's why hydra clusteres are only effective early on and also die so easy)

I think each hydra should have half the health of a regular hydra or 1/3rd the amount, in this case. I also think it should cost a pinch more res than regular hydras too.
  • CannonFodder100CannonFodder100 Join Date: 2011-09-14 Member: 121355Members
    Increasing the res cost will discourage use of the feature, though; with how slow rez generates for the pace of the game, players don't want to waste any at all, so they'd resume their old ways. Artificial restraints on new features will hamstring them from the moment they're implemented.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    edited October 2011
    I, for the 100th time, agree with this idea completely. There doesn't need to be any drawbacks to it either. Allowing gorges to spit structures isn't unbalanced at all, because if the gorge can spit the structure on to a place then the marines can use the pistol to kill it.

I also like the idea of the alternate "shotgun" mode for hydra placement without any extra res cost. Cannon is dead on with it making it useless if you make it more expensive. As long as the three hydras equal the health and damage of a single hydra, it will be balanced as is. Spending the same res for the same damage and health; the only difference is how it operates.