NS2HD NS2 Beta Tournament

Comments

• QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2011
    Let's set our vocabulary here, since I think we all have different definitions which confuse us.

"Game" or "Half" = One session of play between two teams, with one victor (aliens or marines).
    "Round" or "Set" = Consists of two consecutive "halves". The teams switch sides for the second game in a round/set.
    "Match" = The the entire meeting between the two teams, consisting of some number of rounds.

Thus to win a match, you must win both games in a round. You don't win the match if you happen to win two games in a row that belong to different rounds. If the teams split a round, rounds will continue to be played until a team wins both games in a round. Optionally, the match will consist of the best of 3 rounds, with extra rounds played in the event of a 1-1 round tie (this would make it possible to still win the match even if you lost the first 2 games of the match).
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I wonder if 185 is going to be released before the start of the tournament [lol].
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    If you need to commentate matches i can do that too.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1870590:date=Aug 22 2011, 11:44 AM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Aug 22 2011, 11:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let's set our vocabulary here, since I think we all have different definitions which confuse us.

"Game" or "Half" = One session of play between two teams, with one victor (aliens or marines).
    "Round" or "Set" = Consists of two consecutive "halves". The teams switch sides for the second game in a round/set.
    "Match" = The the entire meeting between the two teams, consisting of some number of rounds.

Thus to win a match, you must win both games in a round. You don't win the match if you happen to win two games in a row that belong to different rounds. If the teams split a round, rounds will continue to be played until a team wins both games in a round. Optionally, the match will consist of the best of 3 rounds, with extra rounds played in the event of a 1-1 round tie (this would make it possible to still win the match even if you lost the first 2 games of the match).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think you have the terminology mixed up a bit. At least, from what I gather from Hugh's post:
    <!--quoteo(post=1870331:date=Aug 21 2011, 03:15 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Aug 21 2011, 03:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870331"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Each 'round' is made up of 'matches' composed of 'games' (I know, you could have that other ways round...).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It should be

"Game" = One session of play between two teams, with one victor (aliens or marines)
    "Match" = A set of games until one team has won two in a row (as marine and aliens) and is declared the victor
    "Round" = The entire set of matches between all teams in (hopefully) one weekend

Actually, I think a better set of terminology would be a combination of the two, i.e.
    "Game" = One session of play between two teams, with one victor (aliens or marines).
    "Set" = Consists of two consecutive "games". The teams switch sides for the second "game" in a "set".
    "Match" = The the entire meeting between the two teams, consisting of some number of "sets" until one team wins two consecutive "games".
    "Round" = All of the "matches" in (hopefully) a single weekend between all of the teams.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    edited August 2011
    as in terminology from ns1 round limits where set and rounds where considered to be the half game that you are thinking so it would go in this order.

round as in example there are multiple rounds in a game of golf. think as a round as one inning as in a baseball game
    Game when you win a game it is won when you beat the other team and move on to the next one.
    Set you would only use set if you have multiple games against the same team as in different times
    Match match being the whole tournament sometimes in tennis it is used differently but you get the idea

look up game terminology this is true for many games in a similar manner
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    OMG!! You guys are confusing my brain!
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2011
    SubShadow and Frelge thankyou for your kind donations. Wilson thankyou for that link.

If you want to create speculative tournament draws, please make another thread for them. I don't want teams getting confused thinking those Challonge draws are the real deal. Also, there is no need for this round terminology confusion business. I have defined them for NS2HD tournament purposes in a previous post.

I am considering double elimination - But right now it is very, very unlikely. It takes the number of matches from 16 to 31. It is simply not practically possible for me to run the tournament with that many matches. I am already looking down the barrel of three full weekends of work to make a knockout tournament happen. I am exploring ways of being able to record, render, and upload matches more quickly, which may make it possible.

The NS2HD tournament is not the be all and end all tournament - Others can and will create leagues and tournaments that will work differently. For example, they may have more rounds, be double elimination, or whatever. The core purpose of the NS2HD tournament is to promoste NS2 by broadcasting an entire tournament, and that will not change.

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>I still need emails from almost every team leader. I have only had three responses. I need team leader contact details to organise the tournament. Please contact me ASAP.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Does PUBlic Distrubance want to scrim 156 tommorrow night? Please contact me.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    And please keep unrelated scrim banter out of this thread too - There's plenty of room on the forum to discuss scrims and leave this thread for the organisation of this tournament.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you do the Double Elimination, just do the Winners Bracket for the casting and recording and not the losers bracket. Or just have people vote on the which games they'd like to see casted and recorded.
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    Oh, it is a mockup. Thank Jebus, I thought a PUG team was being paired with (one of) the best clan(s).

Maybe have PUG's square off in the first round, everyone else random?
    Yep - real draw won't be out for a few weeks ;). It will, however, be completely random.

<b>All team leaders, please send me an email ASAP so I have your contact details</b>
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2011
    This tournament is going to be very flaky unless UWE fixes the following:

<blockquote><b>Black Screen of Death</b>
    [Black screen on restart round/end round 5 times out of 10, causing a disconnect/reconnect process [time consuming]]
    <b>Comm Placement Bugs </b>(Marine/Alien)
    [Cannot drop anything anywhere without having to move in small increments and wait for it to "magically" drop]
    <b>Collision issues</b>
    [Mainly with Marines walking into each other causing the Marines to randomly fly all over the place]
    <b>Beacon Bugs</b>
    [Beacon sending Marines to random locations/not sending them at all; beacon initiated before it's destroyed still beacons the entire team; Aliens not coming "uncloaked" when they are standing immediately next to a Observatory]
    <b>Cloaking Bug</b>
    [Ability to cloak and run from Alien Start without ever coming uncloaked]
    <b>Fade Balance</b>
    [not that I've ever seen a Fade in a scrim, but the overpowering ability to completely turn a match around with 1 Fade is insane]
    <b>100% invisible when Camouflaged</b>
    [Aliens should not be completely invisible when in Camouflage, they should still be partially visible like Flayra has stated was the original intent of the feature]</blockquote>

We all know these will not be fixed before the beginning of the tournament by UWE, so let's try to figure out a way to avoid issues such as these by creating some rules to "fix" them.
  • Megarith747Megarith747 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98585Members
    @ NS2HD:

Small suggestion: Instead of uploading the tournament rounds one by one, rather upload them in 2 matches ( 3 plays ) per day, to keep your work of editing and the chance of you getting lunge cancer by over-commentating at a normal level.

Also: I personally would be totally pissed off if you would cut the final play into two parts and releasing the second part as soon as the devs implemented the Exo :D
  • TekJTekJ Join Date: 2011-08-13 Member: 116212Members
    edited August 2011
    Personally, I think that's part of the game with its number of bug, and we do it mainly for the community itself and our developers, even before the reputation of our own clan. Whatever team wins, will be beneficial to all of us. But to a minimum of fade, or do not exceed a number of structure is silly. All teams will be confronted with this dilemma. I don't know why we should limit anything.
    Only my opinion:)
  • Trainee.gerTrainee.ger Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1870718:date=Aug 23 2011, 10:51 AM:name=TekJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TekJ @ Aug 23 2011, 10:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870718"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally, I think that's part of the game with its number of bug, and we do it mainly for the community itself and our developers, even before the reputation of our own clan. Whatever team wins, will be beneficial to all of us. But to a minimum of fade, or do not exceed a number of structure is silly. All teams will be confronted with this dilemma. I don't know why we should limit anything.
    Only my opinion:)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hydra and turret spam is no fun and has no place in competitive plays.
    just spending all resources on turrets in base and camp there till tech 3 is up would be the result, just like in many public matches, or even more extreme. and then build your way to alien start

100% laggy
    0% fair
    0% fun
  • TekJTekJ Join Date: 2011-08-13 Member: 116212Members
    edited August 2011
    Did I mention spam? As all matches will be broadcast (I hope) this is not the team who put 40 Hydra on the map (even if it wins the round) will come out victorious in the eyes of the community. Limit certain aspects : Hell yes !! but make a list of what we have the right to do and not do is take that same community for young teenager and prepubescent childish. Ethics is made by the players in game, free to those who use spam or three fade to win : To the eyes of the community they will have gained nothing at all. That's what I wanted to share :)

<!--quoteo(post=1870723:date=Aug 23 2011, 06:20 PM:name=Trainee.ger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Trainee.ger @ Aug 23 2011, 06:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870723"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hydra and turret spam is no fun and has no place in competitive plays.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm agree :)
    edited August 2011
    how bout this as an idea both hydras and turrets are limited to only being placed in rooms with tech points /resource towers i believe this would be fair as so these cannot be used to block off hallways there by eliminating free movement of both teams as this is already really bad i guess something like this can be some sortive unspoken rule between clans/teams as i believe this gives both teams fair chance with movement around map.

we can discuss later about with turrets and hydras on the limit to something like 4-5 for hive/cc or per each tech node and 3 or less per resource tower having to be in those rooms individually and respectively the limit on the hydras probably being higher as they are not as powerful as the turrets.

please dont ignore this but if someone else would like to create a thread discussing this would be nice if something like this can even be feasable or is wanted!

please consider the first part as i am very adamant about limiting them to not be used in hallways. this would make several people happy im sure
    <!--quoteo(post=1870733:date=Aug 23 2011, 12:51 PM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Aug 23 2011, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870733"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how bout this as an idea both hydras and turrets are limited to only being placed in rooms with tech points /resource towers i believe this would be fair as so these cannot be used to block off hallways there by eliminating free movement of both teams as this is already really bad i guess something like this can be some sortive unspoken rule between clans/teams as i believe this gives both teams fair chance with movement around map.

we can discuss later about with turrets and hydras on the limit to something like 4-5 for hive/cc or per each tech node and 3 or less per resource tower having to be in those rooms individually and respectively the limit on the hydras probably being higher as they are not as powerful as the turrets.

please dont ignore this but if someone else would like to create a thread discussing this would be nice if something like this can even be feasable or is wanted!

please consider the first part as i am very adamant about limiting them to not be used in hallways. this would make several people happy im sure<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seriously guys/girls, turrets are rarely used in scrims and hydras are used very little as well. If a team needs to use these excessively, then chances are, they won't be around long enough to even get the ability to spam them. A scrim/match is usually decided within the first 5-10 minutes and investing in a robot factory/turrets is almost a waste of res/time.

I have yet to see a Marine team use turrets in a game with Anagram...
  • CandideCandide Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106766Members
    I think nobody should restraint creativity of the teams with such limits. Turrets and Hydras are a part of the game, and if a team discover a viable strategy exploiting them without dying due to lack of resources, they even should be rewarded for their efforts. =)

OK, turret spam is not fun in public games. But do not forget that we're not talking about pubs, but a real tournament with global strategies and such... This tournament should be played with the game AS it is, i.e. with no limitations (fades, turrets...). The more freedom every team gets, the more entertaining the games will be to play and watch.

And IF a major strategy comes up, each team should be able to find a way to counter it.
    edited August 2011
    seing as you are probably new with only 4 posts the history of ns1 and sometimes ns2 is that there have been several times where someone will spam buildings in a hallway to block access just cause they think it is fun this is not as it impeads movement of both teams in the halway or corridor that they are in this is what i want to try and avoid i am not talking about limiting the number as i said that is another topic but in my first statement for all of us to try and not build buildings unless it is a armory or a crag in hallways as it blocks both teams when it is spammed in such locations freedom of movement is fair for both teams because if someone can get past the other team and not get killed then atleast that gives the other team an opportunity for pushing forward.

and with in ns2 as an example gorges spam hydras like they are going out of style near end games be cause of them having alot of res
  • perfectheatperfectheat Join Date: 2007-06-28 Member: 61405Members
    Cool! Would really like to join but I have no clan. There are two Swedish servers running at the moment. Would anyone be interesting in starting a Scandinavian clan? Or maybe there is one already?
    Hi PerfectHeat! The tournament is fully registered (Assuming the team 'NoName' formalises), but there are several EU teams. Perhaps one needs another player?

Regarding turret spam - In my experience casting competitive games, it is the team that wasts 50 res turret spamming marine start that loses, not wins. Hydra spam is an absolute non-issue against a competitive marine team with grenade launchers. Turret and hydra spam <i>may</i> be problems on pub servers, but I will not be restricting them in this competition.

We have just been pledged 50 EUR by an anonymous member of the community - Thankyou!

In order to facilitate double elimination, I am considering holding off tournament start until 1 Nov. Thoughts?

If you would like to actually make the prize pool contributions, you may do so through PayPal to NS2HD@live.com.au. However, I do not know of a way to make the donations public - I.e. I want the community to be able to see whay I receive, so you all know I'm not slushing it. If you do decide to send through the money now, please label it with a clear description so I know who it's from/what it's for.

<b>All team captains, if you haven't already, please send an email to NS2HD@live.com.au so I have your contact details.</b>
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    I and my team could wait for double elimination. also you don't have to cast the losers brackt. just ref them.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1870800:date=Aug 23 2011, 11:58 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Aug 23 2011, 11:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870800"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In order to facilitate double elimination, I am considering holding off tournament start until 1 Nov. Thoughts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Judging by my many prior experiences with online tournaments, that would be disastrous. A first of november start would push the last weeks of the tournament into Christmas, when a significant amount of the players will be off on vacation and not able to play, or force a several weeks long tournament break which tends to kill teams and may ruin the tournament finish. A long delay before the tournament starts also increases the chances of teams dropping out in the meanwhile.

Seriously, I can't emphasise enough how terrible that idea is. If that's the alternative, just go with your original single elimination plan.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Yeah, I think leaving it too long is a bad idea. Single elimination is fine for this tournament.
  • Cyberwarrior00785Cyberwarrior00785 Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70651Members
    when i think about it i begin to believe its a bad idea
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    yeah, if you can't do double elimination and start at the same time, just go with single elimination with seeeding based on prior experience. A November start would run into Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays in the USA and would not be good.
    It was my impression that Christmas was on Dec 25... A Nov 1 start (Actually, a 30 Oct start) will mean the tournament is finished on Nov 13 or Nov 20 depending on how herocially I can schedule matches. That's a far cry from Dec 25.

Right now an Oct 30 start is looking more likely - It's a quieter season for me at work, and will give me more time to perfect a casting schedule for a possible double elimination, and will mean there's a whole month of features added for us to play with. I imagine we will be at about build 189 by then.

<b>All team leaders, if you haven't already please send an email to NS2HD@live.com.au so I have your contact details</b>
    Thankyou everyone for getting in contact! I now have contact details for all 16 original teams. Swalk, if you could get in contact with me regarding NoName and whether that team is going ahead, that would be great.

Over the next week or so I'll send out a request for some info (mainly player timezones) so I can begin organising the tournment timings/rounds.

I'm getting extremely excited!
This discussion has been closed.