Alien commander is not challenging

GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
edited August 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">I want more interaction with my team!</div>I have been spending alot of time in both command seats, and while I still find marine commander fun & challenging, I have the feeling that as an alien commander I'm not really needed.

Ok I need to do some upgrades and drop a 2nd hive, but after that I could get out and join the fun and no1 would notice. I also feel like my recources seem to stack up, while the energy of my hive can't seem to keep up

<u><b>I want more ways to interact with my team</b></u>. The marine commander can drop ammo packs and health packs. Why can't I drop adrenaline and heal clouds?

The marine commander also has <u><b>toy's to play</b></u> with, he has MAC's and an ARC, I only got these guys who vanish after they are used to build. They have an upgrade to give him flash but since they in a couple of shots, I can never use that.

So increase their HP and give them some extra abilities. Compared to MAC's they are ALOT easier to kill. Perhaps add a bio bomb ability. Or invent a new alien helper.

I also asked for this before: <u><b>give me one energy pool</b></u>. Making me having to click 2-4 hives to check which one has energy is not making it hard, it's just making it annoying!

My 2 cents.

Comments

• jerkstoresupjerkstoresup Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105840Members
    The shade should be coming this week, being one of many things to come for alien commanders.
  • kaffaljidhmakaffaljidhma Join Date: 2011-07-14 Member: 110392Members
    edited August 2011
    What's a bio bomb?

Drifters will eventually get parasite, and they already have flare, both of which are hard to do. With shades come the gameplay mechanic of hive devotion, where only one hive can make crags, shades, shifts, etc. Also, there will be plenty of alien micro once the structure abilities are put in.

If you hotkey the hives you have, you can cyst spam to your heart's content. Putting everything in one energy pool brings up a few questions, like where the drifters are going to spawn.

Aliens should command less than marines anyway because all of their offensive and defensive power comes from personal res. It's individual judgment where hydras should be placed and how many fades the team needs. Hop in to make a few quick expansions, then hop out and join the assault you just ordered. Marines are expendable, but every alien counts.
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    Also, you'll be able to make pheromone tracks to better co-ordinate your aliens efforts
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867336:date=Aug 8 2011, 08:59 AM:name=kaffaljidhma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaffaljidhma @ Aug 8 2011, 08:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's a bio bomb?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A biological bomb, just an idea, I don't think I need to explain it more? Like a drifter with explode capabilities..

<!--quoteo(post=1867336:date=Aug 8 2011, 08:59 AM:name=kaffaljidhma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaffaljidhma @ Aug 8 2011, 08:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Drifters will eventually get parasite, and they already have flare, both of which are hard to do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Parasite seems like a bit of a waist for a drifter tbh since infestation is way more powerful, as for the problem with flare, ^see above

<!--quoteo(post=1867336:date=Aug 8 2011, 08:59 AM:name=kaffaljidhma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaffaljidhma @ Aug 8 2011, 08:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Putting everything in one energy pool brings up a few questions, like where the drifters are going to spawn.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thats like asking where a mac will pop out when you build one..

<!--quoteo(post=1867336:date=Aug 8 2011, 08:59 AM:name=kaffaljidhma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaffaljidhma @ Aug 8 2011, 08:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens should command less than marines anyway because all of their offensive and defensive power comes from personal res. It's individual judgment where hydras should be placed and how many fades the team needs. Hop in to make a few quick expansions, then hop out and join the assault you just ordered. Marines are expendable, but every alien counts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Marine's are hardly expendable, especially not in this build. An skulk that dies is within 30 seconds back at the front, a marine needs alot more time then that.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also asked for this before: give me one energy pool. Making me having to click 2-4 hives to check which one has energy is not making it hard, it's just making it annoying!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As someone else said, hotkey your hives for quick access to cysts and drifters. I use 1 for my main hive and 2-4 for any ones that go up. There is also a lot of features that are not implemented yet for the alien side.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    There will be a common energy pool in later builds.

Alien comm will be able to place markers around the map which indicate specific things: threats, defend, attack, build...

Aliens have infestation which is mainly spread by the commander, and gives passive buffs. The way alien comm interacts with marines is supposed to be different...even though its pretty similar ;p
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I wonder if it frustrates UWE when they see threads similar to this of a daily basis. The game isn't finished, its actually far from it.

Lets re-visit this discussion when they other 50% of the game is implemented.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I play mostly Alien comm, I wouldnt worry about having stuff to do. If you're in a decent sized game you'll have lots to do. Working with the gorges to build nests of Hydras/Crags/Cysts, replacing killed nodes, building hive, researching, spreading infestation. Even attacking and scouting with drifters.

Soon we'll have the Shade, soon enough the Shift and lots of other abilities. For me, I like that I dont have *too* much work to do, so I can hop out and eat some marines myself.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1867330:date=Aug 8 2011, 03:25 AM:name=GeneralBowser)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GeneralBowser @ Aug 8 2011, 03:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867330"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The marine commander also has <u><b>toy's to play</b></u> with, he has MAC's and an ARC, I only got these guys who vanish after they are used to build. They have an upgrade to give him flash but since they in a couple of shots, I can never use that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They are meant to vanish, it's the whole point of Drifters to be expendable. MACs are not meant to act the same way which is why they take more time to acquire.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL2DjrDSohU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL2DjrDSohU</a>

<ul><li>Zerg (Aliens in NS2) have Drones (Drifters in NS2) that implode when building structures. These are much easier to produce and speed should be in their favor over SCVs (MACs)</li><li>Terran (Marines in NS2) are meant to have SCVs (MACs in NS2) that build structures throughout the game and are able to build/repair structures at a slower speed but can produce structures much faster when building in large numbers.</li><li>Protoss are not used in NS2 but their skills are used between both the Marines and Aliens (Fades <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PfkVeI7AiA" target="_blank">Blink ability</a> is from the Stalker in SC2; Warping is similar to phase gates within NS2).</li></ul>
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The part of the challenge being an effective alien commander, <b>at the moment especially</b> is that you <i>do not</i> linger and marinade inside a hive, but instead join the attack force to pressure the marines with one more player.

Aliens do not need full-time command right now.

And I like hives having separate energy pools. That contributes to challenge as well.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The alien commander was always intended to be more "relaxing" than the marine commander. But there will be many more toys to play with in the future, like the Shade functions, as well as the whip bombard once it finally makes it in the game. The alien commander also lacks the ability to put waypoints down, but I think that will change very soon too.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    the chamber abilities will definitely change the alien comm. in future it will be better to have a permanent alien commander, since those structure abilities (which I think will all require manual triggering) would support your team.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867448:date=Aug 8 2011, 04:05 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Aug 8 2011, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867448"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The alien commander was always intended to be more "relaxing" than the marine commander.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This has puzzled me a lot. I can understand that some people like a more relaxed role, but we are also talking about an intense multiplayer FPS here. For example is someone forced to sit back and relax during every round of competetive NS2? It was already hard enough to find a commander in NS1 even though the role was somewhat challenging and had strategical possibilities quite far beyond NS2 commander.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867447:date=Aug 8 2011, 12:00 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Aug 8 2011, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The part of the challenge being an effective alien commander, <b>at the moment especially</b> is that you <i>do not</i> linger and marinade inside a hive, but instead join the attack force to pressure the marines with one more player.

And I like hives having separate energy pools. That contributes to challenge as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I like to do a bunch of stuff, then go out and run a skulk/gorge suicide mission, and when I respawn, do another wave of command activities.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited August 2011
    i don't understand why the alien commander can not add waypoints to aliens.
    just pheromone sprites.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867392:date=Aug 8 2011, 01:48 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 8 2011, 01:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867392"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder if it frustrates UWE when they see threads similar to this of a daily basis. The game isn't finished, its actually far from it.

Lets re-visit this discussion when they other 50% of the game is implemented.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually you're not supposed to run behind the train once it's left the station, your supposed to get on before it leaves.

<!--quoteo(post=1867376:date=Aug 8 2011, 12:25 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Aug 8 2011, 12:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867376"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There will be a common energy pool in later builds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thats good news! :-)

<!--quoteo(post=1867434:date=Aug 8 2011, 04:24 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 8 2011, 04:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They are meant to vanish, it's the whole point of Drifters to be expendable. MACs are not meant to act the same way which is why they take more time to acquire.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL2DjrDSohU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL2DjrDSohU</a>

<ul><li>Zerg (Aliens in NS2) have Drones (Drifters in NS2) that implode when building structures. These are much easier to produce and speed should be in their favor over SCVs (MACs)</li><li>Terran (Marines in NS2) are meant to have SCVs (MACs in NS2) that build structures throughout the game and are able to build/repair structures at a slower speed but can produce structures much faster when building in large numbers.</li><li>Protoss are not used in NS2 but their skills are used between both the Marines and Aliens (Fades <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PfkVeI7AiA" target="_blank">Blink ability</a> is from the Stalker in SC2; Warping is similar to phase gates within NS2).</li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I know (duh), but that's hardly my point...

<!--quoteo(post=1867447:date=Aug 8 2011, 05:00 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Aug 8 2011, 05:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The part of the challenge being an effective alien commander, <b>at the moment especially</b> is that you <i>do not</i> linger and marinade inside a hive, but instead join the attack force to pressure the marines with one more player.

And I like hives having separate energy pools. That contributes to challenge as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I understand that you get out of the hive in emergency situations, an rt nearby is going down or the hive is attacked, just like the marine commander does when a skulk is on the IP..

But I think it's intended to have him mainly in the hive. The who reason you can have multiple commanders now is so you don't get "overwhelmed" by all the possibilities. I hardly feel overwhelmed, perhaps it's wrong of me to want more strategic options, perhaps I should see it as the most relaxed position you can have in the game, but I rather not :-)
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    I personally have only ever once used a whip manually, I've used crags a bit though.
    <!--quoteo(post=1867472:date=Aug 8 2011, 01:20 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Aug 8 2011, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally have only ever once used a whip manually, I've used crags a bit though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Here's one of my Strats for Alien Comm.:
    <ol type='1'><li>Hotkey Alien Start to 1 (should be already set by default).</li><li>Send your first Drifter to build your first structure, then Hotkey your first structure (in my case Whip) to 2.</li><li>Send your second Drifter to your first RES location cap (hotkey 1 and drop your Postules leading to the location using Hotkeys).</li><li>Hotkey your 3rd Drifter to 3.</li><li>Follow your Alien team throughout the map Hotkeying your first upgrade upon structure build (Usually Melee) while providing the Gods Eye view assistance.</li><li>Push 3, click on the map where your second Hive drop is and Hotkey your Drifter to build a Hive.</li><li>Get out of Alien Comm. and go help protect the second Hive till it's drop then jump into the second Hive Comm once it is completed.</li><li>Hotkey the second Hive to 3 (replaces the Drifter that dropped the Hive).</li><li>Use 2 Drifters to produce two Crags and Hotkey the two crags to 4.</li><li>Push 1 (Alien Start) and start producing a drifter</li><li>Second your 3rd drifter in SA to build the RES node in your second Hive.</li><li>Push 1 twice go to Alien Start Hive and drop a Crag. Then start your second upgrade choice (I usually pick Frenzy).</li><li>Once the Crag is finished, hotkey it to 2.</li><li>Get out of Comm and go Lerk. Scope out the surrounding areas of the 2 hives and solidify a parameter around the two hives.</li><li>Periodically jump in and out of Comm to upgrade and infest into further locations.</li></ol>

If the Hive is attacked, jump into a Hive as Comm and Hotkey the Crags (your Hotkeys stay as long as the structures are not destroyed), use Umbra then exit Comm. and take down the Marines :)

This is a one of my many simple strategies I use to emphasize the effectiveness of Hotkeys as a Comm. If you properly use your Hotkeys, you do not need to have a 24/7 Comm as Aliens.

Being a Comm. can be a lot of fun if you are strategic about how you use it. Never should an Alien just sit in the commander role and not exit to help with stopping the persistent push from the Frontiersmen.