Hydra Collision

ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Problematic Hydra Collision (Hydra Walls)</div>I was playing a game recently, I was fade and just blinked in took out a few Marines and blinked out, but I was on fire and low health - I wasn't worried though, there was a hive at arms length (so to speak). Unfortunately, I blinked in and collided straight into a hydra wall at the top of the surface access ramp, subsequently got jerky physics and died. :(

I know that pretty much everyone hates hydra walls, even aliens. So force minimum radius around hydras (approx 1.2x fade collision width) this dissolves walls and allows any alien to easily move through hydra spam because there is enough space to do so without jumping/blinking/leaping/flying like a maniac. Just like with any command-built structures, but obviously a smaller radius.

On that note-sentries (though it affects them much less) should also have a minimum radius, I would say slight larger than the hydra radius (1.4x marine width), because sentry walls do happen on rare occasions.

Comments

• Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    I don't think they should increase the minimum distance between hydras. instead they could remove the collision with them (or make it smaller). they are just plants and should bend away when someone runs through them.
    later on that could be animated as well.
  • endlesschangeendlesschange Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105800Members
    or just remove the clip on hydras
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Tf2 engineer style clipping would solve the problem for hydras. Friendlies can run through the hydras but enemies cant.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    I thought about it as well, but forgot it when writing the post (I literally sat there for like 2 minutes trying to remember what I was thinking before I just re-write the post as if I only had one idea lol).
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1855027:date=Jun 21 2011, 07:18 PM:name=Zuriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zuriki @ Jun 21 2011, 07:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was playing a game recently, I was fade and just blinked in took out a few Marines and blinked out, but I was on fire and low health - I wasn't worried though, there was a hive at arms length (so to speak). Unfortunately, I blinked in and collided straight into a hydra wall at the top of the surface access ramp, subsequently got jerky physics and died. :(

I know that pretty much everyone hates hydra walls, even aliens. So force minimum radius around hydras<b> (approx 1.2x fade collision width)</b> this dissolves walls and allows any alien to easily move through hydra spam because there is enough space to do so without jumping/blinking/leaping/flying like a maniac. Just like with any command-built structures, but obviously a smaller radius.

On that note-sentries (though it affects them much less) should also have a minimum radius, I would say slight larger than the hydra radius (1.4x marine width), because sentry walls do happen on rare occasions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That wouldnt work either since the onos would be way larger and prone to the same problems.

<!--quoteo(post=1855348:date=Jun 22 2011, 03:03 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jun 22 2011, 03:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tf2 engineer style clipping would solve the problem for hydras. Friendlies can run through the hydras but enemies cant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would work tho.