End the jump spam

18910111214»

Comments

• fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1870452:date=Aug 22 2011, 03:50 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Aug 22 2011, 03:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870452"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am loathe to help resurrect a dead thread, but I cannot sufficiently express how strongly I agree with the need to end the pogo-stick madness.

I think a more severe momentum penalty (a la CS) may go a long way to solving this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The "pogo-stick madness" is actually a result of low FPS, lagging and bad hitreg. In NS1 you'd never see marines do it, because it didn't work. Skulks would bite you down much faster than if you were say circle-strafing or using some other means to dodge the bite. The only reason repeated jumping works in NS2 right now, is because the low FPS and lagging makes it really hard to aim, and then you add the dodgy (at least seemingly dodgy, but it might really just be the low FPS and lagging) hitreg to the mix...

<!--quoteo(post=1870455:date=Aug 22 2011, 04:33 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Aug 22 2011, 04:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870455"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 did it right, a slow-down upon landing on a surface that is of the same (or lower) height as the one the player just jumped from. You can still do an evade-jump, but curtails hopping around like an idiot constantly. It also keeps intact the ability of some movement-acrobatics, and the ability to bunnyhop just a little bit sometimes, which I like.

Pretty much all the suggestions made on this last page are a big no-no to be honest. Anything that causes your jump-button to NOT respond when you're pushing it is just terrible. I didn't think the animosity to NS1's movement-mechanics was this significant, or perhaps all the NS1-vets just decided to piss off for some reason.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    The jumping system for marines is fine.

Though, the GORGE jumping mechanics make spamming the button while under fire quite an OP tactic. Play the game lots more folks.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    I would say jumping should bring up the sprinting animation wich equals no firing.
    but this will surely cause alot of complains so, when you jump, your firecone moves from 2° to 70° (or wathever it is)

Imo marines should NEVER jump in combat
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1870532:date=Aug 22 2011, 04:33 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Aug 22 2011, 04:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870532"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In NS1 you'd never see marines do it, because it didn't work. Skulks would bite you down much faster than if you were say circle-strafing or using some other means to dodge the bite.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is exactly what I want NS2 to be like. I feel that sometimes people misunderstand me and think I want movement to be completely gimped. I don't. At the moment jumping around is still pretty effective. Maybe it's to do with lag and performance, or maybe something will need to be changed, I don't know.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1870562:date=Aug 22 2011, 12:54 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Aug 22 2011, 12:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is exactly what I want NS2 to be like. I feel that sometimes people misunderstand me and think I want movement to be completely gimped. I don't. At the moment jumping around is still pretty effective. Maybe it's to do with lag and performance, or maybe something will need to be changed, I don't know.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It makes biting more difficult, that is why it is a small benefit to do. Aiming properly makes it easy to kill aliens, we should nerf aiming. :P

Playing against rines, I see no issue with the current setup, jumping might sort of help them, but not really anything that's prevented me from getting those bites off.

Again, we should be looking at <i>gorge jump</i>.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1870454:date=Aug 21 2011, 11:09 PM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Aug 21 2011, 11:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870454"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While jumping provides little advantage against most alien lifeforms, Marines definitely should not be able to repeatedly jump over Skulks.

Jumping height needs to be reduced for jumping in quick succession.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

completely agree with you here. i will try that out and if it doesn't feel too restrictive for marines I will suggest it to the devs. I also have to say that it's pretty annoying when gorges are doing it. I mean, ok they are cute and fat and their belly is shacking. But i wouldn't expect it in first place that a gorge can jump at all, so maybe increase the interval of jumps for the gorge a bit would help (the belly slide is anyway more effective to dodge bullets)

I also know that jumping will not be a problem once the technical problems are all sorted out. No player (at least at a certain skill level) would miss somebody because of jumping then. But people would still do it and it would kill immersion (except for the skulk, it fits there somehow)