ns2_triad

Comments

• horst2punkt0horst2punkt0 Join Date: 2011-06-03 Member: 102390Members
    Hi Alex,

first of all I think that you did really decent work with this one. I just did a quick walk-through since there were no oponents available on the frelge server.

I found two things which bothered me a bit.

1. Since this is the first map where marines can actually access some vents because the entrances are not located near the ceilings, marines can get stuck. In some vents the only way to get back is to climb up the vent which is impossible for them. I think you could fix this by relocating the entrances or wait for marines to get a way to climb somehow. You could even leave it like that and rely on the learning abilities of the players...

2. The elevator between corridor 4 and corridor 3 near techpoint 2 made me curious. Have you planned to make it operational for some purpose?

Keep up the awesome work!
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    you are missing several kill zones when you fall down in places. other than that awesome map. need to make it so you cant fall down where the lifts are getting stuck down there lol.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    NS2HD did a community spotlight on this map:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwXIcus0Oa4&feature=feedu" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwXIcus0Oa4&feature=feedu</a>
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    Any server owners want to start a server with the latest version of the map? I'd join it for sure.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    very nice map Alex, i watched ns2hd's vid, it looks very cool.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    I really want to have a proper match on this, hopefully NS2HD's spotlight will make it more feasible.
  • Trainee.gerTrainee.ger Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100097Members
    Our HBZ server is running this map at the moment. we had some pretty cool matches tonight!

- get names for the rooms + remove nonfunctional doors = win
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    WOW! just played on the map for half hour with cheats on too test out expansion and build order... AMAZING! this map is great, good job!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Downloaded this, looking forward to testing it
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Joined HBZ server for 30 minutes, I was the only player the whole time ¬.¬

Map is pretty cool, really different from the others. I feel like there could be more nooks and crannies, or things to hide behind for aliens. How is balance in this map?

My marine didn't die when falling down into some pits, and on others he got caught on some objects half way down.

One bug which might have nothing to do with this map was that when the marine died and respawned, he instantly died again. That was when I was the only one in the game.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    So i just loaded the map and ran around.

The basic layout is quite good it think. the map seems consistent in itself. Your on the good way.

BUT, it needs lots of polish. If you compare it to the official maps, its really lacking in geometry and lightning. So i'm not sure what your plans are, but i think you should go trough every room and really do some polishing. I was walking trough the map taking screenshots of the areas i wanted to suggest improving, but i have to say that i took a screenshot of nearly every room and hallway. Not saying they are bad, but they all need more work. So i will try that again in a later version of the map, no point in making a post with screenshots of the whole map ;)

PS: i did this post because everybody is so happy and enthusiastic about triad, so i wanted to give some constructive feedback. I hope you don't take it negatively, i really like your map :) and i want it to suceed, otherwise i would not have made this post.
    Check out the annotations by typing in 'displayannotations true' in console
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1866722:date=Aug 5 2011, 03:11 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Aug 5 2011, 03:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866722"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So i just loaded the map and ran around.

The basic layout is quite good it think. the map seems consistent in itself. Your on the good way.

BUT, it needs lots of polish. If you compare it to the official maps, its really lacking in geometry and lightning. So i'm not sure what your plans are, but i think you should go trough every room and really do some polishing. I was walking trough the map taking screenshots of the areas i wanted to suggest improving, but i have to say that i took a screenshot of nearly every room and hallway. Not saying they are bad, but they all need more work. So i will try that again in a later version of the map, no point in making a post with screenshots of the whole map ;)

PS: i did this post because everybody is so happy and enthusiastic about triad, so i wanted to give some constructive feedback. I hope you don't take it negatively, i really like your map :) and i want it to suceed, otherwise i would not have made this post.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Great review! In other words, do all the map again ... hehe ... :o
    Okay, your review is welcome!

I am not a prof and I do not pretend to look like I am ... Anyway, eventually I'll redo much of the map if you have suggestions are welcome!. :)

And also like the community's help in naming each room and hallway.

Example:

Center room -------- Central command
    RT03 ----------------- Auxiliary ventilation
    etc, ...

Thanks to all again for taking the time to test my map, and thanks for the NS2HD video!

PD: sorry my English ... googletranslator :P
    RT 03- RAVE ROOM
    (Turn atmospherics on and cut the power node to see why)
    edited August 2011
    Hey Alex!

I walked through your map again to find some names for you.
    First of all, i would delete the names for the corridors. they do make sense, because they are so many and so huge. but keep it simple, they are not needed that much.

ok here are my ideas and suggestions

Rt 01 - has computer, server and barrels.. i had no good idea here, but if you add some more servers in it, you could call it "Server Maintenance"

Rt 02 - you have a look outside the map, like in tram. i would overwork the skybuildings there. i dislike that you see the ground there. or the limitations of the map. how about "Overlook" here?

Rt 03 - well i dont like to call it "Ventilation", because it would be nice to have one name for a room refering to a specific map. but the good names will be picked soon, so there is nothing wrong to call it that way.

Rt 04 - i bet that the cinematic there is going to be in the next UWE map and i dislike that you use it before its released, but now its too late and due to its all open source its not really a problem at all ;) how about "Production" or... what are they casting there anyway? could be interpretated as pipes, so maybe "Pipe Production" or "Pipe Melt"?

Tech Point 01 - it has some barrels, a machine and some storage props.. not much for an idea! i dont know, maybe you could add more storage props and call it "Entrepot" found that on an online translater, im not sure if its a common word

Tech Pont 02 - It has a Crane in the middle of nowhere, some crates... not much again for a good idea. you have a fake door in it! i would remove that and put a huge door at the wall left to the door, so bigger vehicles are able to enter the room. i also would add an entrance for the crane, so it can switch in rooms and transport crates/barrels and stuff. I also would add some more crates there and those storage props you used in tp01. how about "Logistic Center"?

Center Room => "Central Communication" its a good name wasted in an empty corridor, just use it for your tech point!

Marine Start => Marine Start

Hive => Alien Start

i hope its a help, or at least a good start for more ideas from the community

greets Trainee

ps. When can we see the next version of Triad? :) and why are you switching the number in that name? its a version number isnt it? and the final version is just called ns2_triad?
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    Love the layout of the map, but indeed, it can look prettier then it is at the moment.

offtopic: ns2 server really need an option to download maps off the server, would really increase the amount of people playing this map
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    can anyone confirm if they're having a problem loading triad22 with a height map missing ? (it screws up the minimap)
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1867181:date=Aug 7 2011, 11:25 AM:name=Trainee.ger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Trainee.ger @ Aug 7 2011, 11:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867181"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey Alex!

I walked through your map again to find some names for you.
    First of all, i would delete the names for the corridors. they do make sense, because they are so many and so huge. but keep it simple, they are not needed that much.

ok here are my ideas and suggestions

Rt 01 - has computer, server and barrels.. i had no good idea here, but if you add some more servers in it, you could call it "Server Maintenance"

Rt 02 - you have a look outside the map, like in tram. i would overwork the skybuildings there. i dislike that you see the ground there. or the limitations of the map. how about "Overlook" here?

Rt 03 - well i dont like to call it "Ventilation", because it would be nice to have one name for a room refering to a specific map. but the good names will be picked soon, so there is nothing wrong to call it that way.

Rt 04 - i bet that the cinematic there is going to be in the next UWE map and i dislike that you use it before its released, but now its too late and due to its all open source its not really a problem at all ;) how about "Production" or... what are they casting there anyway? could be interpretated as pipes, so maybe "Pipe Production" or "Pipe Melt"?

Tech Point 01 - it has some barrels, a machine and some storage props.. not much for an idea! i dont know, maybe you could add more storage props and call it "Entrepot" found that on an online translater, im not sure if its a common word

Tech Pont 02 - It has a Crane in the middle of nowhere, some crates... not much again for a good idea. you have a fake door in it! i would remove that and put a huge door at the wall left to the door, so bigger vehicles are able to enter the room. i also would add an entrance for the crane, so it can switch in rooms and transport crates/barrels and stuff. I also would add some more crates there and those storage props you used in tp01. how about "Logistic Center"?

Center Room => "Central Communication" its a good name wasted in an empty corridor, just use it for your tech point!

Marine Start => Marine Start

Hive => Alien Start

i hope its a help, or at least a good start for more ideas from the community

greets Trainee

ps. When can we see the next version of Triad? :) and why are you switching the number in that name? its a version number isnt it? and the final version is just called ns2_triad?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Great help!

07/08/2011 downloadable updates ns2_triad24 ...!

Rename many rooms, I redid a few things. Delete some doors.

I hope new comments and I hope you like it!

Edit: The final name will be ns2_triad.

AleX.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Any chance you can host it somewhere that doesn't impose wait times on the download?
  • BazZzBazZz Join Date: 2011-07-11 Member: 109614Members
    edited August 2011
    wanted to try the map as it is running on Heidis #2 right now, but it always gives me "file not found" even though i downloaded it manually and put it into the correct folder :/

console says couldn't load maps/ns2_triad24.level

however the file is there...

may something is missing that was included in older download versions of the map?

edit:
    solved... my steam somehow created two natural selection 2 installations and I extracted to the wrong one
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    mayhaps(yeah...i read ice and fire stuff), UW could host the maps?
    Also something to wish for: A built in downloader similar to what many Unreal Engine based games use. Saves gamers a lot of time finding, unpacking and downloading custom maps.
    you should adjust the names in the minimap. you could have a huge location which doesnt show the name and one smaller location entity which has the same name, but only the small one displays the location in the minimap. so you can move your text to where you want it

and remove the second "Marine Start" and "Hive" and we are good to go :)
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    - Can't jump over the fence in marine start :(

- I got stuck behind the power node in Server Maintenance (jump from the computer behind it=).
    <!--quoteo(post=1867506:date=Aug 8 2011, 04:08 PM:name=Trainee.ger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Trainee.ger @ Aug 8 2011, 04:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you should adjust the names in the minimap. you could have a huge location which doesnt show the name and one smaller location entity which has the same name, but only the small one displays the location in the minimap. so you can move your text to where you want it

and remove the second "Marine Start" and "Hive" and we are good to go :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, but the map is ready to be tested minimap names are easy to fix, just wanted upgrader unnamed brokers and several aesthetic and functional changes to be tested.

In the following vercion be solved.

Is sufficiently safe to be played?

I upload a new vercion after testing it and discover new and possible bugs.

Anyone know a new host to upload my map? ... I do not mind waiting 45 seconds hehe ... but some people yes.

AleX.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    edited August 2011
    <a href="http://www.filesmelt.com" target="_blank">http://www.filesmelt.com</a> is my favorite download provider. You can also use <a href="http://www.dropbox.com" target="_blank">http://www.dropbox.com</a> so long as you're no opposed to creating an account.
    <!--quoteo(post=1867655:date=Aug 8 2011, 10:40 PM:name=Zuriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zuriki @ Aug 8 2011, 10:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.filesmelt.com" target="_blank">http://www.filesmelt.com</a> is my favorite download provider. You can also use <a href="http://www.dropbox.com" target="_blank">http://www.dropbox.com</a> so long as you're no opposed to creating an account.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks Zuriki... I'll try those hosts!
  • dickbassdickbass Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109402Members
    edited August 2011
    any chance this map could be officially added into ns2?

i like it alot. needs some polish sure sure but its a really nice map.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It shows promise, but it's not ready to be an official map yet. Many random places to get stuck, and there are invisible walls.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    After spending some time last night trying out the latest version of triad, I've compiled a large list of bugs and issues. How would you like me to supply them to you? (by you, I mean the map creator).
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2011
    I'm hoping spending some time to produce this will help you improve this map. I enjoy it enough to hope it gets fine tuned like summit :)
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2LpRjL_--aE"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2LpRjL_--aE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>