Your feedback on our tweets here

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Congrats on Kotaku front page! All this from just PAX, imagine when put on Steam officially!
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    edited April 2012
    When Charlie was describing what the marines can do I couldn't stop thinking about this <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHYGgOXww48" target="_blank">ultimate badass</a>. He should have said that the marines are ultimate badasses, that'd be enough of a description ;)

Congratulations.

But afair they already were on kotaku's page before...why is it such a big deal now?
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924236:date=Apr 11 2012, 02:56 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Apr 11 2012, 02:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924236"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But afair they already were on kotaku's page before...why is it such a big deal now?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because it was a great interview and Charlie did a good job of describing the high points of the game.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Just joined the stream after the alien game to see marine spawn of veil and 2 server crashes :P

Oh well, MS looks great. Shame the stream had to end :(
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Veil looks like a beautiful map, can't wait to play it... FMpone is doing a fantastic job.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone know a web widget that displays press links in your web page? Seems standard can't find one. ("Look who's...) <a href="http://t.co/XTmHbX0j" target="_blank">http://t.co/XTmHbX0j</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->The answer was in your post: jQuery :)

At a glance it looks like they've hard coded the ticker content in to the html twice and referenced their particular element id in main.js

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'><script type="text/javascript" src="http://firefallthegame.com/assets/js/jquery.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://firefallthegame.com/assets/js/jquery.easing.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://firefallthegame.com/assets/js/jquery.preloader.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://firefallthegame.com/assets/js/jquery.vticker.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">var _BASE_URL = "http://firefallthegame.com/";</script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://firefallthegame.com/assets/js/main.js"></script>
    <link href="/assets/css/home.css?c=943948800" media="all" rel="stylesheet"/>
    <script src="/assets/js/home.js?c=943948800" type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"></script></div>
  • ArgoshArgosh Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    New build is out. Steam is downloading 280mb update. :)
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Same here, looking forward to some stuff from PAX (new death animations!)
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Good to see the twitter account very active recently - keep it up guys!
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    re: kotaku interview. Funny charlie mentioned the smell coming into the venue. I heard that on another pax interview as well. i guess gamers are a stinky, unshowered lot.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Link to interview? I couldn't find it.
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1924362:date=Apr 12 2012, 01:55 AM:name=jbaker8935)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jbaker8935 @ Apr 12 2012, 01:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924362"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->re: kotaku interview. Funny charlie mentioned the smell coming into the venue. I heard that on another pax interview as well. i guess gamers are a stinky, unshowered lot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have you ever been to a crowded fair? If you fight your way through hundreds or thousands of people, you WILL stink, no matter what. It is not just at gaming events. If you do not stink of sweat, you will stink of perfume... tons of it.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Finished designing new Cyst abilities called "Enzyme Cloud" and "Rupture". #ilovemyjob<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cool stuff! I would love to see an ability or two that modifies the infestation somehow.
    Enzyme cloud will speed up evolve times? Rupture....slow enemies down even more?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Enzyme cloud boosts nearby alien energy regeneration, rupture sacrifices the cyst in a harmful explosion?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-ns2+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ns2)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->#BALANCE mines can now hurt their owner when detonating<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Got a good quote from someone who read this.

"oh ok thats cool, now we have to be careful where to step when A ******** ONOS IS MURDERING YOU"
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I don't think it means the mine will go off when you step on it, but that you will no longer have an island of safety to /dance on when you emergency deployed that mine to hide from the skulk that should have killed you.

It's about time IMO!
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->#BALANCE mines can now hurt their owner when detonating<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

my prayers have been answered
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1924880:date=Apr 12 2012, 09:01 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Apr 12 2012, 09:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think it means the mine will go off when you step on it, but that you will no longer have an island of safety to /dance on when you emergency deployed that mine to hide from the skulk that should have killed you.

It's about time IMO!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Put mines around ip or phase gate, spawn or teleport and get killed due to a lerk bile bomb setting off the mine. Fun.
    Place a mine down, infestation covers it up and it explodes in your face. Fun.
    Fade blinks past the mines you placed in base, you get caught in the explosion. Fun.
    You place a couple mines down, an onos charges after you which causes the mines to kill you. The onos walks away laughing. Fun.

I'm sure it was frustrating for aliens but it will be nowhere near frustrating as the guy who gets tripmines exploded in his face all day.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ^did you play the game when GL's didn't do friendly fire damage to yourself, and exploded on contact with any solid surface?
    <!--quoteo(post=1924897:date=Apr 12 2012, 09:40 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Apr 12 2012, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924897"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->^did you play the game when GL's didn't do friendly fire damage to yourself, and exploded on contact with any solid surface?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Of course, and they're still op. :V
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1924896:date=Apr 13 2012, 02:34 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Apr 13 2012, 02:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924896"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Put mines around ip or phase gate, spawn or teleport and get killed due to a lerk bile bomb setting off the mine. Fun.
    Place a mine down, infestation covers it up and it explodes in your face. Fun.
    Fade blinks past the mines you placed in base, you get caught in the explosion. Fun.
    You place a couple mines down, an onos charges after you which causes the mines to kill you. The onos walks away laughing. Fun.

I'm sure it was frustrating for aliens but it will be nowhere near frustrating as the guy who gets tripmines exploded in his face all day.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    To be honest, apart from the first one you'd have to be blind or stupid to suffer any of those fates... and even then it's so unlikely it'd be funny if it <i>did</i> happen.
    Would be helpful if the mines a marine placed will indicate they belong to him so he knows to avoid those mines.

You might say it's not hard to remember where they were placed, but some of them might be destroyed and replaced by another marine's mines, and you'll think those are your ones.

How about a marine's mines will show up on his minimap?
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Natural Selection 2 ‏ @NS2
    Follow

Tweet (@NS2) your favorite "disruption" based ability ideas for the Onos. Focused on disrupting marines so other aliens can be effective.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

maybe some kind of roar that temporarily weakens marine armour? same sort of cone AoE as stomp
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tweet (@NS2) your favorite "disruption" based ability ideas for the Onos. Focused on disrupting marines so other aliens can be effective.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not really an idea for Onos, but a parry-type response using a well-timed rifle-butt against Gore; instead of being knocked down, the Marine would be flung away by knockback only (takes damage still). Give Marines more skill-based options to survive an Onos encounter :) (like jumping to dodge a Stomp wave)

An idea:

How about light disruption? The Onos can already disable buildings temporarily, perhaps a new ability to temporarily turn off lights around him by roaring, with some lights remain active but flickering.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    I know someone will take this the wrong way, but I thought it was accepted that taking away control from the players is a terrible thing? You remove devour but add even more movement/attack impairment abilities for the onos... seems weird to me.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1925102:date=Apr 13 2012, 03:13 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Apr 13 2012, 03:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1925102"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know someone will take this the wrong way, but I thought it was accepted that taking away control from the players is a terrible thing? You remove devour but add even more movement/attack impairment abilities for the onos... seems weird to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree, there are already to many such abilities, I don't like the idea to have even more negative abilities in the game.
    Yeah I think being stunned for at least half the time while an onos is in the room is enough disruption >:( But if say, you were planning on taking away the Gore knockdown and lessening stomp range to something less than an entire room/hallway... Then I would say:

-Maybe a room shake ability, a charge? where the room shakes the entire time you're charging and whoever gets hit by the charge is knocked down or something

But seriously, take away gore knockdown first... and make JP's immune to onos CC like in NS1? The onos is not fun to play as or against atm. :(
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tweet (@NS2) your favorite "disruption" based ability ideas for the Onos. Focused on disrupting marines so other aliens can be effective.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

PLEASE. GOD. NO.

The Onos already has an unfun level of crowd control. Delete all of his CC. Make his stomp flicker the lights (like the guy above said). That would be sweet. Please, no more stuns/knockdowns. They have no place in a FPS game.
  • fenrir1179fenrir1179 Join Date: 2011-11-05 Member: 131263Members
    yeah Onos crowd control is fine as it is .. wait till an onos gets to use movement chamber... then you'll see some overpowering... + devour
    enviroment effects is the better road to take