What I dislike about NS2.

PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
edited May 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
I do like the game. It is fun and enjoyable but 1 thing really annoys me about it. 1 thing that I really hate.

I hate the connection with the commanders and their players. I am fine with the way the Alien commander is done. It is like the Alien commander is just some higher level gorge type thing. There isn't a connection with the Alien Commander and his players and I think that is fine the way it is.

The problem I do have though is the connection with the marine commander and his players. In NS1 it was very team-based. You had to rely on your teammates technology and skill in order to survive. You had to rely on your command to progress you through the game in order for your survival and victory.

The current implementation is a lot like NS1 combat mode. I didn't like combat mode, I found it good training when I was getting better and understanding the game but I didn't like it that much. NS2 is like combat mode, the only difference is that you can get commanders.

The Marine commander doesn't give guns to his marines anymore, he can't reward, he can't help them out that much. The marines are now too independent and can solo off if they want to. NS2 is more like an FPS game like CoD or battlefield than an RTS game or team based game.

Marines should not be able to decide what weapons they have. The marine commander should be exactly like the one in NS1 and he should have nearly complete power over what they do (He can't force them to do as he says)

The multiple commander thing is also a turn for the worst in my opinion. I am fine with it being for the aliens because when I am gorge I often get into the command and place a few crags with my hydras to create a secure blockade. Multiple commanders is useless for the marines.

UWE really need to think about the Commanding system and the connection with commanders and their players. Having more than 1 commander is also something they need to think about.

The game is currently set as:
Commander vs Commander and Player vs Player

but it should be set as:
Commander + Player vs Commander + Player
Thanks for reading.

Comments

• TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    To address one of your points, the next build allows the marine comm to buy and drop weapons for his players. Not that that ability is being <i>removed</i> from the marines, but both will be able to do so. That way the comm can reward reliable players, but those that want to rambo aren't left totally out in the cold.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    My experience is of marines running off by themselves back and forward, to the aliens then back to the armory and so forth. Commanders might give some way point but won't insist or encourage teamwork. I have no idea if I was ever assigned to a squad by a commander. Usually they are helpful if you request a med pack or ammo but i'd rather have a commander - i.e. a leader - instead of an eye in the sky with some support tools.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    On one game we did have a good Marine game. I was the commander and I was properly leading them around and stuff. I led them to the Alien Exspansion and we built up a base there. About 5-10 minutes later we won the game.

And yeah, I know that they will allow the commander to drop weapons in the next build... hmm.

How about they make the items that the Players buy more exspensive than the ones that the commander buys. That way people will have to save up more PRes if they want a gun or if they are good enough they could be rewarded with one.

For example:

If a player buys the shotgun= 25 PRes

If a commander buys the shotgun = 15 PRes

Price should be higher than that though but that is just an example.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    edited May 2011
    The truth behind this tho is that, no matter what you do this is the sort of thing you're going to have in online gaming. Unless its clan wars and stuff, but pub ns will always be like that every now and then.
    I mean, can you admit you never saw rambo marines in ns1?

Its just a concept new players will pick up after time, if theyre interested in winning they will prolly co-operate more.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1847715:date=May 21 2011, 11:03 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ May 21 2011, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847715"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines should not be able to decide what weapons they have. The marine commander should be exactly like the one in NS1 and he should have nearly complete power over what they do (He can't force them to do as he says)

The multiple commander thing is also a turn for the worst in my opinion. <u>I am fine with it being for the aliens</u> because when I am gorge I often get into the command and place a few crags with my hydras to create a secure blockade. Multiple commanders is useless for the marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just had a great idea that fits with your suggestions: The commander needs a way to kill any player which doesn't do as he wishes.

I know for a fact <b>you</b> would have no complaint whatsoever if the alien players were <b>blocked</b> from evolving into any alien lifeform as they please, where instead the alien commander would determine who should be forced to play the entire round as a skulk. I mean how dare these players prefer a means of attacking which suits their preference or the situation.
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1847746:date=May 22 2011, 05:18 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ May 22 2011, 05:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just had a great idea that fits with your suggestions: The commander needs a way to kill any player which doesn't do as he wishes.

I know for a fact <b>you</b> would have no complaint whatsoever if the alien players were <b>blocked</b> from evolving into any alien lifeform as they please, where instead the alien commander would determine who should be forced to play the entire round as a gorge or skulk. I mean how dare these players prefer a means of attacking which suits their preference or the situation. If these players want freedom-of-choice WTF!? then they should play a better game!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

but then youl get biased commanders who are just plain douchbags to people for the way they talk?, or friends all stacked on a team, etc.
    Itl just ruin the experience for many people.
    More critical thinking is needed in every idea when it comes to online gaming
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    marines depend more on the armory than the actual commander. marines have their own res pool, they usually don't rely much on the commander because of this, since he's not the one supplying them with weapons. The armory offers weapons, free health, free armor.

here is my idea.

1. only adv armory should restore armor and health - normal armory would only restore health.
    2. marines personal res, put cap on their res
    3. increase weapons cost

or
    some random ideas.

- limit type of weapons can be sold through the armory, the rest can be dropped by the commander

- put limit on how many weapons can be bought, a sort of cooldown

as for alien commander vs gorge

never liked alien commander, aliens are melee class, they need all the force at the front lines.
    gorge need to play larger role in building RTs, and building chambers (not spamming hydras)
    I've always seen alien commander as the eye in the sky for aliens while only controlling alien upgrades and spreading infestation mostly, but relying more on the gorges as his minions to build.
    hey what if the commander can put a lock on certain weapons and then just activate them to be bought as he pleases.

A way of saying "k when everyone spawns grab a gren launcher and run to x. Ive disabled shotguns, ive disabled flamethrowers, i dont want to see them"

In most cases this would prolly result in the comm being ejected tho, other than just letting marines do what they want there's hardly an option. If someones decided they dont want to follow orders, they never will.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1847746:date=May 21 2011, 05:18 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ May 21 2011, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just had a great idea that fits with your suggestions: The commander needs a way to kill any player which doesn't do as he wishes.

I know for a fact <b>you</b> would have no complaint whatsoever if the alien players were <b>blocked</b> from evolving into any alien lifeform as they please, where instead the alien commander would determine who should be forced to play the entire round as a skulk. I mean how dare these players prefer a means of attacking which suits their preference or the situation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You obviously didn't play NS.

Or you played Combat.

Go and play NS1 and that is the NS type of game as well before you make stupid comments like the one I have just quoted.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    The weapons being cheaper for the commander is a nice idea, just needs a minute timer before the commander gets the weapon discount so the marines don't run into the comm station to drop their cheaper gun.

And it would probably be beneficial to reduce the amount of personal res gained from killing structures.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    That sounds really complicated. Allow only the commander to drop weapons : problem solved.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1847761:date=May 21 2011, 02:22 PM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ May 21 2011, 02:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You obviously didn't play NS.

Or you played Combat.

Go and play NS1 and that is the NS type of game as well before you make <u>stupid comments</u> like the one I have just quoted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Joined forum: 9-January 05, back when it was just a NS1 forum.

I played Natural Selection in all its forms: NS, CO, SIEGE, and MVM.

NS2 is not NS1. It's Better.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    edited May 2011
    I agree with the idea that the game is most fun when it's players+comm vs players+comm, but I do not think it is down to who drops which weapon. The problem stems from the fact that resource income is not yet honed to a balanced level and the fact that there are no set strategies and everyone is just generally doing whatever in-game. Once people start figuring out where to go, what to defend at what times and more realistic resource constraints are put on players I think we will see a return of the commander being the player's guardian angel as well as their eyes and ears due to the ability of the opposing team to punish careless moves. In that scenario the comm will, as in NS1, provide the needed edge.

tl;dr: basically people are just ###### about in the game right now doing whatever they wish with terrible sense of timings, so the comm isn't really necessary yet
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1847757:date=May 21 2011, 10:59 AM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ May 21 2011, 10:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hey what if the commander can put a lock on certain weapons and then just activate them to be bought as he pleases.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hot avatar
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1847766:date=May 21 2011, 08:14 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ May 21 2011, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847766"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 is not NS1. It's Better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dh402owua4o"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dh402owua4o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    Couldn't resist doing another.

You see, it's a bit hard to tell in between all the lagging, the warping, the stuttering and the crashing.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1847766:date=May 21 2011, 02:14 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ May 21 2011, 02:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847766"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 is not NS1. It's Better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i completely agree, the graphics ARE better

beyond that.. not so much
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1847768:date=May 21 2011, 03:14 PM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ May 21 2011, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847768"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->tl;dr: basically people are just ###### about in the game right now doing whatever they wish with terrible sense of timings, so the comm isn't really necessary yet<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, a lot of design decisions that "aren't working" are due to that fact, that we're all still fresh and real competitive play hasn't grown yet.

I also think a Squad system wherein Commanders could order entire Squads (and therefore would have less to keep of and have it presented in a more organized fashion) and rely more on designated 'Squad Leaders' would not only alleviate a lot of the stress of micromanaging as a comm but also of being a new player (to the game or the specific match). More persistent squads would provide an organic mentoring/buddy system as well as more cohesion.
  • Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    what about making gorges able to build buildings but only spread infestation, do updates and stuff from the hive...
    so he could be building stuff, hop in the hive for short and .. i dunno i think its great.
    and if there are more gorges/aliens an skulk could be the eye in the sky (hive) and order around his builder gorges :3 maybe a waypoint system EXCLUSIVE for gorges? like mariens i mean...
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    How much have you actually played? Most of the time i play, people actually work together, with only a few rambos here and there.
    Which means in your own words:

The game is currently set as:
    Commander + Player vs Commander + Player

And this relationship between commanders and players will get better as the features go in the game.
  • zoro.czzoro.cz Join Date: 2011-05-21 Member: 99873Members
    Absolutely agree with papayas, by the way.. marines are fine, stable fps 50 not more not less.. but when i play aliens fps is low something about 20-30 and its unplayable :/
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I used to worry more about this concept.

But since a couple stabilization/performance patches play has become more regular
    and I see better commanders cropping up.

note to improving commanders
    speak more...(or text)
    I would rather have a commander giving too much detail (a skulk in the base...wait hes dead)
    than last minute detail (everyone back to base they are crushing us)

I really don't think making the marines dependent on the commander will help.
    I do think bringing attention to things both the commander and marines depend on (dude we lost a res node) might HELP but probably will not change it.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited May 2011
    as far as commander and marine/alien relation goes, you're seeing a lot of john rambos now because it's just a beta. I'd be surprised if there were more than a handful of players who play the beta seriously for fame and glory. most people who hop into the commander chair don't know what they're doing yet as in upgrading and giving orders. likewise, the marines can't depend on commanders for support like dropping health and ammo. maybe 1 in 5 commanders actually responds to my request. and then there's the fact that you won't see more than a dozen people on one server, mostly just several, and because of that the essence of teamwork is harder to see.

come launch and 24-32 player servers, teamwork will be there whether people actively try to use it or not.
  • chrisfoosechrisfoose Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98657Members
    I was pretty crazy about NS1 when it first came out. I used to play it all the time. I think I liked the FPS and RTS combination of elements.

Now I am playing the betas of NS2. I know it's not complete but so far I'm just not getting into it. I want to, I just can't.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1847823:date=May 21 2011, 11:30 PM:name=chrisfoose)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chrisfoose @ May 21 2011, 11:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was pretty crazy about NS1 when it first came out. I used to play it all the time. I think I liked the FPS and RTS combination of elements.

Now I am playing the betas of NS2. I know it's not complete but so far I'm just not getting into it. I want to, I just can't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

its because you dont have an onos or a minigun.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    Perhaps an onos with a minigun, or a marine riding an onos with a minigun, both are fine combinations.
  • chrisfoosechrisfoose Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98657Members
    I just remember in Ns1 the battles being more epic.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    How many of these NS2 isn't NS1 topics are we going to have to drudge through. Of course it isn't NS1. The game was released 10 years ago. I hope it isn't NS1 because a lot of things have changed in game thoery and design over the last decade. I expect them to learn from the last decade and make a better game, not a replica of NS1.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Go and play NS1 and that is the NS type of game as well before you make stupid comments like the one I have just quoted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also, this type of divisive and generalizing rhetoric isn't constructive for anyone.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1847843:date=May 22 2011, 12:41 AM:name=Kurrine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurrine @ May 22 2011, 12:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847843"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->a marine riding an onos with a minigun<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We need this now!
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    I've been playing in some of the 9v9 matches on summit recently, and every time we've had a commander that talks to people. It's a lot easier to get people to do what you want when you're talking to them and guiding them along, giving them health etc. I don't think this is a problem with the game, just a problem that people aren't confident enough commanding and talking to people, it's a fairly scary prospect, especially if there are people that play a lot on the server.

I really am starting to love the way that the marine team fits together, especially in bigger maps (summit), and once the aliens get the same love, we'll have a lovely game to enjoy :)
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    The marines can buy a new ability : taming. A marine is able to perform a dangerous intimidation dance in front of the onos, if he fails the onos eats him. If the taming is a success the onos switch team and the marine jump on his back.