where is the Area Controll ?

Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
<div class="IPBDescription">marines should be rewardet for expanding</div>i thought the game is about theretory controll...
so why is it going the direction that marines turtle in one base and maybe defend some res nodes (with camper sentries) and aliens have to expand across the map to get their good lifeforms...

and what are tech nodes good for then ? they would just be hive locations? gimme a break..

i think marines should have benefits from securing and holding tech points.
and its stupid to put multiple comm chairs over the map...
maybe something REAAALLY radical like making armories only placeble on tech nodes
>:3 this would mean marines had to defend start AND marine expantion if they want some good weaponary.
yeah and robot factory / prototype lab on another techpoint.. strange, this sounds familiar.. did sum1 already
came up with that idea?

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Should be tied to power nodes and the best method (IMO) is related to DI. For example,

If a power node is active in a room,
    1. DI does not expand into that room
    2. Existing DI starts to recede in that room
    3. Existing alien structures start to lose health

To balance it you would need most powernodes to start off unbuilt.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. DI does not expand into that room
    2. Existing DI starts to recede in that room
    3. Existing alien structures start to lose health<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. Yes please!
    2. NO! Then marines could have macs sneaky repair nodes all over the map and have all the alien structures killed!
    3. ^ Above

Instead of "2." - First have the marines clear the power node itself from infesation (flamethrower?) and then repair it and let the DI recede from the room.

Yes, my vote is on -> powernodes should be off in the beginning of a match!
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    the above 2 posts kind of wander away from the topic.

But my theory is marine expansions will prolly play a factor when heavy armor and jetpacks / hmg's come into play. i hope
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    well originally the primary incentive for Marines to expand was so that they could advance to the next tier in technology, however that was scrapped when the mechanic was deemed un-intuitive, since once the additional technology was acquired the marines would simply recycle the extra command station and wait until they got flame throwers and grenade launchers.

Now the only real incentive for marines to expand is to control resource nodes, and deny the aliens a hive location. While that may seem insignificant, if a marine team truly allowed the aliens to claim every node and every tech point, thats lost potential recourses and more recourses going to the enemy team since almost every tech point also has a recourse node associated with it, which does have an important impact on the game. The aliens have much more infestation on the map, denying marines from buildings outside their base, have much more healing in combat, and allow much more infestation to be laid since each individual hive contains its own pool of energy that can be poured into mass infestation all over the entire map.

Also the aliens don't need to expand across the map to get their life forms, they don't even need additional hives, they just need to research the next tech level to get fades, and build a crag/whip to get gorges/lerks. The reason you see marines camping though is because the path to get their advanced technology is a much more tedious and risky endeavor than it is for the aliens, who simply have to have in their possession a hive mass/crag/whip in order to unlock all the more powerful life forms. Its also in the nature of the alien mechanics that they expand more rapidly, since they just need to lay a hive down and they have instant healing, infestation, and denial of a tech point + recourse node that is associated with that tech point to the marine team.

Honestly i don't think having all these radical and complex mechanics to make expanding absolutely VITAL is necessary, most maps only have 5 tech points, which means forcing things like recourse multipliers, building structures such as armories/prototype labs/ arms labs on tech points are are over the top and personally i think are just adding unnecessary complexity to an already elaborate enough game.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    I didn't like this change either.

I have feeling this will change in the future like other ideas they had. They will slowly go back to what NS1 had, or something much more similar teching.
    though I do like to stress this, killing key buildings should remove upgrades, and force research to be done again - tied upgrades to building is a must. I've enjoyed those moments in ns1 rushing marines AA or even the arms lab, in many serious games it defined good strong come back.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    I don't think that power nodes should be broken right at the start but I do think that the marines/macs would have to go and turn on the power at the power node. For example; a little animation would take place where you flick the switch with your hand. Then the lighting is back on. Having broken powernodes at the start of a game seems stupid because all of the maps take place in some sort of Human space station/ship therefore it should be in working order right from the starting. all it needs is a jump start from one of the marines.
  • Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    hm.. i see
    but as it is planned the marines fight for res nodes and aliens for res nodes AND tech points ...
    this is right away stupid....
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    Both teams need RT,
    Aliens need Tech points => gain tech, forward bases, 3-8 free spawning eggs and DI (scent of fear, block marine building, slow health regeneration)
    Marines need to fight Tech points(best deny aliens to get one) DI, powernodes. (if they want to make a forward base)

I dont think its that stupid.

Well see if it wil be ns1 all over again, or play out better.
  • UKchaosUKchaos Join Date: 2002-08-10 Member: 1132Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->well originally the primary incentive for Marines to expand was so that they could advance to the next tier in technology, however that was scrapped when the mechanic was deemed un-intuitive, since once the additional technology was acquired the marines would simply recycle the extra command station and wait until they got flame throwers and grenade launchers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Couldnt that easily be fixed by making the marines lose the ability to create the higher tech the moment the addtional command centre was destroyed?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited May 2011
    I don't really see a problem if it is NS1 all over again.

I mean in NS1, marines would generally build one main base, and then build satellite bases at important locations, such as double res rooms, alien hives, or siege locations.

They can still do that, the difference is that you can't build your entire base in double res because of no tech point (although maps which have tech points in double res rooms would be interesting) and also you can't lock down all the hives. It it still just as advantageous as ever to control double res with an armory and turrets and suchlike, and it is still just as advantageous to lock down good hive locations. While aliens can probably find others, it will be one less place to clear and one more place to attack from.

For aliens, hives are simply good structures, they heal, spread DI, and spawn more aliens, why wouldn't you build more than one?

Honestly you don't need to force people to build bases, bases are useful, and it isn't like you can spend team money on anything else, if you've built up your starting base you should probably be spending money on an expansion because otherwise you're not going to get any stronger. A team with two bases is better off than a team with one.

If NS1 had one problem with its base mechanic it was that there were only three hive locations, and therefore only three base sites for aliens, as well as only three objectives for marines. The addtion of tech points fixes that, there are many possible permutations a game could have based on which tech points are taken.

Other than that it works fine, I really don't get what people are worried about.
  • UKchaosUKchaos Join Date: 2002-08-10 Member: 1132Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't really see a problem if it is NS1 all over again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well the problem is that maps have been designed under the assumption that the races have symetrical goals. It seems like the focus of the game is wavering a bit and thats always cause for concern at this late stage.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1847536:date=May 20 2011, 04:39 AM:name=UKchaos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UKchaos @ May 20 2011, 04:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847536"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well the problem is that maps have been designed under the assumption that the races have symetrical goals. It seems like the focus of the game is wavering a bit and thats always cause for concern at this late stage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What late stage?
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    This late stage. They're aiming for a 2011 release. That gives them, what, 7 months?
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    It's hardly a late stage since they're still trying different mechanics out, everything isn't set in stone yet.

Heck, a good chunk of the game isn't even in: parts of T2 and all of T3.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1847695:date=May 21 2011, 11:52 PM:name=Kurrine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurrine @ May 21 2011, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847695"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's hardly a late stage since they're still trying different mechanics out, everything isn't set in stone yet.

Heck, a good chunk of the game isn't even in: parts of T2 and all of T3.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I doubt that will take them long.

I feel most of the hard work is already done. I mean its only missing a few alien upgrades? 1 weapon each, onos. Marine- hmg's, jetpack's, heavy armor. What else? phase gates
    Then its just fine tuning thats left
    Its like most of the mechanics are in place and ready, they just havent activated them yet

+ all the b*tching about sh*t and balance only slows crap down imo :/
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited May 2011
    Oh I don't doubt the harder parts are done with, I'm more pointing out we don't have it all in yet and proportionately we barely have over half. And the complaining really isn't slowing much down either, it's just annoying to some. The work just keeps on chugging regardless.

Anyways, area control. I'm seeing marines actually take points to block hive creation in the late game more often so there's that.

I still do miss when you could pop a com chair wherever you liked though, still feels odd seeing them basically hive location locked I must admit.