Where do I get my money back?

bl1tzbl1tz Join Date: 2007-12-23 Member: 63242Members
after waiting a decade for this game to come out it finally registered in my brain it's never going to come out. where can i get my money back? thanks.

Comments

• AlienHuntaAlienHunta Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58113Members, Constellation
    i would also like to know this as well.
  • eisigereisiger Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75159Members
    If the game is canceled.

Actually I have no idea, you read the ToSA didn't you?
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113344&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...=113344&hl=</a>
  • bl1tzbl1tz Join Date: 2007-12-23 Member: 63242Members
    no i didn't read the terms of agreement. however i do recall the alpha was apparently supposed to be released in fall 09. what a joke that was.

that and with the 'beta' release has caused me to make this thread and ask if it's possible to get my money back.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited May 2011
    you may want to reconsider as if you change your mind later on then you're just gonna be paying more. unless you bought the special edition, which isn't available anymore.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Wow, you obviously do not understand the business of making a video game, or know anything about the recent strides they have made at making the game playable. They release a patch EVERY SINGLE TUESDAY. At this rate they will make it to release at least by the end of the year.

I could understand the frustration of how the state of the beta was for the past few months, but if you have had any problems with the current build it may have been because of the server you choose, try out other servers. If the admin of the server does not restart every once in a while, there tends to be some problems. But as of right now, even though it is no where near feature complete, they could release the game right now if they wanted. I have seen games released with a lot less polish. At least now the game is PLAYABLE, please do not give up on them when we are seeing the light at the end of tunnel. For the sake of not just UWE, but for all of the people who have dreamed and waited for this game. Now of course even if you did get the refund I am sure UWE will still make it to the finish line by the end of the year for this game, but I would rather not take any risk of hurting them financially.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    being a bit dramatic are we
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2011
    I just ###### think its pathetic, and very cheap when people buy something early, and then return it for a refund after they get bored of it a year later. it pisses me off. I feel bad.

Edit: I think of it more of an investment when I preorder, otherwise good games will always end up being published by big ###### companies like, ###### EA or retarted Ubisoft, and in the end they always end up like complete garbage; no matter how great the IP they use.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    Come on guys, it's no biggie. A thread with an official answer in it has already been linked. If he wants a refund, let him apply. Wouldn't you rather be playing this game with people who want to be here?
  • MadkMadk Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98375Members
    Hey I'll gladly take your copy off you :D
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
    If i where you i would wait one year and sell your special edition key at ebay :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1845923:date=May 13 2011, 02:26 AM:name=Yotopia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yotopia @ May 13 2011, 02:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845923"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If i where you i would wait one year and sell your special edition key at ebay :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow thats a good idea, I never thought about that.
  • wulf 21wulf 21 Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96875Members
    Well, but in that case you would have to ask steam to deactivate your key on your account, not sure if they will do it or even bill you for that.
  • bl1tzbl1tz Join Date: 2007-12-23 Member: 63242Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845917:date=May 13 2011, 07:02 AM:name=PersianImm0rtal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PersianImm0rtal @ May 13 2011, 07:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845917"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, you obviously do not understand the business of making a video game, or know anything about the recent strides they have made at making the game playable. They release a patch EVERY SINGLE TUESDAY. At this rate they will make it to release at least by the end of the year.

I could understand the frustration of how the state of the beta was for the past few months, but if you have had any problems with the current build it may have been because of the server you choose, try out other servers. If the admin of the server does not restart every once in a while, there tends to be some problems. But as of right now, even though it is no where near feature complete, they could release the game right now if they wanted. I have seen games released with a lot less polish. At least now the game is PLAYABLE, please do not give up on them when we are seeing the light at the end of tunnel. For the sake of not just UWE, but for all of the people who have dreamed and waited for this game. Now of course even if you did get the refund I am sure UWE will still make it to the finish line by the end of the year for this game, but I would rather not take any risk of hurting them financially.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you're right. i don't. i do know that if a game is going to take while to make while consistently failing to meet deadlines repeatedly despite promises made to its customers than i am simply not interested.

i've given them more than enough chances. i'm just in awe of how much of a great game ns1 is compared to this one. and the sad part is they did not evne work on ns1 as much as they have with this one. it just leads me to believe the first game was luck. just shows what a great engine half life 1 was. i've looked through this game and the 'innovations' are just a joke.

lol end of the year? okay that sounds really promising man. there will be games that blow ns2 out of the water by the time of its release. it's just going to be outdated when it comes out. if they wanted to create a game that was successful they should have went back to their roots of ns1 and created a game based on that, then add features. not just revamp everything.

<!--quoteo(post=1845919:date=May 13 2011, 07:09 AM:name=PersianImm0rtal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PersianImm0rtal @ May 13 2011, 07:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845919"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just ###### think its pathetic, and very cheap when people buy something early, and then return it for a refund after they get bored of it a year later. it pisses me off. I feel bad.

Edit: I think of it more of an investment when I preorder, otherwise good games will always end up being published by big ###### companies like, ###### EA or retarted Ubisoft, and in the end they always end up like complete garbage; no matter how great the IP they use.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's been over a year, but ok. I'm not going to wait for a game that doesn't even look good anymore. you can do so.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I just bought Brink. And i have to say, NS2 in its current form not nonly looks better than Brink, but is tons more fun.

The latest beta release where relealy good, and judging for some dev comments, we are in for some performance changes in the next few patches again.

But you can get your refund, i doubt there is any reason to argue with you (a part from the fact that i think its not fair to play a game for months and then ask for a refund).
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    If they want their money back, don't abuse them. All you need to do guys is e-mail store@unknownworlds.com with your request, normally it takes them a few days, even up to a week to do it but it'll get done.

Also if you think NS2 is tonnes better than the state of Brink, you really need to lay off the fanboy milkshake.
  • AerialEventAerialEvent Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98542Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1845933:date=May 13 2011, 04:21 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ May 13 2011, 04:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845933"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But you can get your refund, i doubt there is any reason to argue with you (a part from the fact that i think its not fair to play a game for months and then ask for a refund).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not any less fair than selling something that doesn't exist and then missing the deadline, what is it, 4 times now? 5?

<!--quoteo(post=1845937:date=May 13 2011, 05:10 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ May 13 2011, 05:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845937"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also if you think NS2 is tonnes better than the state of Brink, you really need to lay off the fanboy milkshake.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thaldarin, it's not a milkshake, it's koolaid. and you've been glugging from the pitcher for years.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Seriously, i have more fun in ns2 than in brink. Sure, ns2 has bugs, can be slow at times, but overall, its more fun and seriously looks better.

Brink has two exactly symetrical sides.
    The levels don't have the character of the ns2 maps
    There is no real strategy in brink, its basicaly a team deathmatch

Seriously, if i could, i would get a Brink refund and buy another NS2 copy for that money if i could
  • InfinityInfinity And beyond&#33; Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 50Members
    Play nice.

Good things come to those who wait.

If you do not wish to, that's alright.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1845903:date=May 13 2011, 01:16 AM:name=bl1tz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bl1tz @ May 13 2011, 01:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845903"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->after waiting a decade for this game to come out it finally registered in my brain it's never going to come out. where can I get my money back? thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

By all means, ask for your money back. But you have not been waiting a decade. NS2 was announced in 2006. Pre-ordering began in 2009. We got the Alpha in 2010. With build 177, the game is definitely playable - and we have it via steam. So it's definitely 'out'. The final version is still a bit off yes, but why not play as it is? It's playable.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1845941:date=May 13 2011, 09:31 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ May 13 2011, 09:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845941"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously, if i could, i would get a Brink refund and buy another NS2 copy for that money if i could<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can. Although let's be honest, you're not going to because that'd only be narrowing the amount of games you have to play for your money ;)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thaldarin, it's not a milkshake, it's koolaid. and you've been glugging from the pitcher for years.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like how some people on these forums think I'm a fan boy, the others think I'm Mr. Negativity. Looks like I can do both sides of the coin. Can you? :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1845954:date=May 13 2011, 12:35 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ May 13 2011, 12:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can. Although let's be honest, you're not going to because that'd only be narrowing the amount of games you have to play for your money ;)

I like how some people on these forums think I'm a fan boy, the others think I'm Mr. Negativity. Looks like I can do both sides of the coin. Can you? :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh don't worry, I've got you labeled as a negative fanboi (you sir are an enigma :P)

@OP

Thaldarin posted the email you need to use
    Guys, seriously, please stop. None of us can give him his money back, and none of us are going to convince him to suddenly start liking this game.

He has now been told <i>twice</i> how to do what he asked. Anything beyond that is just creating unnecessary drama on a very public forum.
    <!--quoteo(post=1845954:date=May 13 2011, 02:35 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ May 13 2011, 02:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can. Although let's be honest, you're not going to because that'd only be narrowing the amount of games you have to play for your money ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seriously? how? i searched in steam and couldn't find a way :( i actually preordered brink because i hoped it would be a fun team shooter. Its not bad, but i played it a little, and now i prefer to start ns2 again instead of brink. So i'm really serious, if i can get my money back for brink, i will totaly buy another ns2 copy.
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i've given them more than enough chances. i'm just in awe of how much of a great game ns1 is compared to this one. and the sad part is they did not evne work on ns1 as much as they have with this one. it just leads me to believe the first game was luck. just shows what a great engine half life 1 was. i've looked through this game and the 'innovations' are just a joke.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You do realize that creating games 10 years ago was not as complex as it is now right?

You do realize how glitchy and messed up NS1 was during its BETA phase and even well through launch to V1.0 right?

It's a long process dude, especially when you only have 7,8,9 guys working on a Triple A title like this and are not backed by a million dollar budget and a 150 person team.

You also do realize the game was originally going to be out on the Source engine and they had to scrap that and make their own because of all the things Source would not allow them to do. Thats the reasoning behind the delay and is understandable.

And I agree with Persian. I hate people who buy something early, decide they don't like it and then they want their money back. UWE is the only game developer that I know that will issue refunds...consider yourself lucky.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845932:date=May 13 2011, 03:09 AM:name=bl1tz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bl1tz @ May 13 2011, 03:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845932"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you're right. i don't. i do know that if a game is going to take while to make while consistently failing to meet deadlines repeatedly despite promises made to its customers than i am simply not interested.

i've given them more than enough chances. i'm just in awe of how much of a great game ns1 is compared to this one. and the sad part is they did not evne work on ns1 as much as they have with this one. it just leads me to believe the first game was luck. just shows what a great engine half life 1 was. i've looked through this game and the 'innovations' are just a joke.

lol end of the year? okay that sounds really promising man. there will be games that blow ns2 out of the water by the time of its release. it's just going to be outdated when it comes out. if they wanted to create a game that was successful they should have went back to their roots of ns1 and created a game based on that, then add features. not just revamp everything.

It's been over a year, but ok. I'm not going to wait for a game that doesn't even look good anymore. you can do so.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

for the simple fact that if you liked ns1, bought ns2 because of ns1, and dont agree with the changes. as a paying customer you should be able to get your money back, stop giving the guy greif.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    Guys, just ignore bl1tz, i know him from "BAD CLAN" , he was banned and he was a extremely disrespectful/immature person who likes to create problems.

Just stop being such a moron bl1tz. I deply understand your special behaviour BUT for once in your life don't try to create such dramma about NS2 never getting out and you wanting your money back. Just STOP being this annoying person who likes being disrespectful. Try to be supporting and try to enjoy the game instead of trying to ruin the experience for everyone by soiling the forum with your vinning about the game never being complete.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Well to be fair, the others are creating drama about it. Flame-bait master degree I guess :P
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1845903:date=May 13 2011, 07:16 AM:name=bl1tz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bl1tz @ May 13 2011, 07:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845903"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->after waiting a decade for this game to come out it finally registered in my brain it's never going to come out. where can i get my money back? thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Guys, just ignore bl1tz, i know him from "BAD CLAN" , he was banned and he was a extremely disrespectful/immature person who likes to create problems.

Just stop being such a moron bl1tz. I deply understand your special behaviour BUT for once in your life don't try to create such dramma about NS2 never getting out and you wanting your money back. Just STOP being this annoying person who likes being disrespectful. Try to be supporting and try to enjoy the game instead of trying to ruin the experience for everyone by soiling the forum with your vinning about the game never being complete.
    <!--quoteo(post=1845966:date=May 13 2011, 01:20 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ May 13 2011, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845966"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously? how? i searched in steam and couldn't find a way :( i actually preordered brink because i hoped it would be a fun team shooter. Its not bad, but i played it a little, and now i prefer to start ns2 again instead of brink. So i'm really serious, if i can get my money back for brink, i will totaly buy another ns2 copy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you ordered via Steam then the Steam refund policy is below,

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Steam Refund Policy

As with most downloadable software products, we do not offer refunds for purchases made through Steam - please review Section 4 of the Steam Subscriber Agreement for more information.
    Steam Subscriber Agreement
    Steam Subscriber Agreement
    An exception is made for games purchased during a pre-order period if the request is received prior to the games' release date.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Alternatively if you contact the company direct I assume it can be done, as UWE does seem to refund and NS2 is only available via NS2
This discussion has been closed.