Role Persistence

KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Equipment and Role Costs and Upkeeps</div>I was wondering, assuming the devs will allow Marines to pick up their own dropped equipment (or at least weapon), is there any comparable mechanic for the Aliens? This led to an idea: What if role changes were a little more permanent?
<ul><li> Purchasing Evolutions/Equipment costs fewer P.Res, but each time you die and respawn you incur an upkeep cost to retain the equipment.</li><li> This "loadout" is kept until you alter it or do not have enough resources to afford a respawn (then your loadout defaults back to vanilla Marine/Skulk).</li><li> Weapon Mods (Nerve Gas) and Form Evolutions (Carapace) remain single-spawn purchases.</li></ul>

FOR EXAMPLE (I do not necessarily endorse these values!):
<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Tech          Cost   Upkeep          Lifeform      Cost   Upkeep
Rifle          0     1               Skulk         0      1
Shotgun       15     10              Gorge         7      3
G.Launch      20     10              Lerk          15     15
Flamethrow    20     10              Fade          30     20
Minigun       25     5               Onos          50     25
Jetpack       10     15              
Exosuit       10     5<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

+ Players can evolve/purchase sooner at the cost of fewer respawns, or later at the risk of being a weaker lifeform for a longer period. This will create tense meta-games of "evolutionary chicken" between players/squads fighting over the same territory over a number of respawns. Whoever evolves/upgrades first has the momentary advantage, but also starts draining resources sooner. If your tactics aren't working, do you continue with your loadout until you run out of resources, or do you admit defeat, count your losses, and try something else?
+ Less punishment for new/starting players, with more appropriate risk/reward ratios for higher-tier purchases
+ Reliability of role information over longer periods of time lets you more easily analyze and adapt to player strategies/skills.
+ Provides opportunities for players to counter-pick their roles, and for counter-picked players to counter-pick, etc., etc.
+ Higher-tier investments become more valuable. Cheaper units remain more expendable.
+ Allows for easier balancing (if Shotguns ARE in fact OP, increasing their Upkeep allows them to keep the punch they pack, but limits the number of times a player can respawn with one)

Comments

• KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    the problem with this i what if you are charging around with a shotgun, die, and go... well I think I'll go with a flamethrower this time, I have the 30 res... SPAWN, DEDUCT 15 RES FOR UPKEEP... arg damnit.

that's the problem.

Keeping the free default weapon kit would be better for players who like to change their kit more often.

sure, you changed the costs... but that's still a problem nonetheless.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think this idea would work better if it increased the cost of the weapon/alien rather than deducted an upkeep. For example, the PRes cost of a shotgun would go up 10 PRes for every player currently with a shotgun. That way, if you wanted to be the third player with a shotgun on the team, you need to pay 35 PRes rather than 15. It would even out weapon/alien classes a bit more.
  • craecrae Join Date: 2005-01-30 Member: 39035Members
    This is close to an idea I had the other day:

Allow marines to buy equipment (and aliens to choose skulk upgrades) while waiting to re-spawn.
    <!--quoteo(post=1842223:date=Apr 24 2011, 08:20 PM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Apr 24 2011, 08:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842223"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the problem with this i what if you are charging around with a shotgun, die, and go... well I think I'll go with a flamethrower this time, I have the 30 res... SPAWN, DEDUCT 15 RES FOR UPKEEP... arg damnit.

that's the problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The upkeep would not be deducted until a Marine went to an Armory and attempted to purchase the weapon again. The point is to encourage repeated use of the same weapon to make matchups more predictable while also limiting the number of higher-tier weapons on the field.

<!--quoteo(post=1842239:date=Apr 24 2011, 10:29 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Apr 24 2011, 10:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this idea would work better if it increased the cost of the weapon/alien rather than deducted an upkeep. For example, the PRes cost of a shotgun would go up 10 PRes for every player currently with a shotgun. That way, if you wanted to be the third player with a shotgun on the team, you need to pay 35 PRes rather than 15. It would even out weapon/alien classes a bit more.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have to agree with you here, you might be on to something...
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1842339:date=Apr 25 2011, 02:21 PM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Apr 25 2011, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842339"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have to agree with you here, you might be on to something...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The implementation would need to be clear, though, otherwise new players will get confused about the basic cost of each weapon/alien class. For example, on the armory/evolve screen, I'd put in a 3 column space next to each weapon/alien class that contains
    Col 1: Base cost
    Col 2: Current additional (upkeep) cost
    Col 3: Total cost to purchase

So, following with my shotgun example, it would be
    Columns: Col 1 - Col 2 - Col 3
    Cost: 15 - +20 - 35
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1842239:date=Apr 24 2011, 07:29 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Apr 24 2011, 07:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this idea would work better if it increased the cost of the weapon/alien rather than deducted an upkeep. For example, the PRes cost of a shotgun would go up 10 PRes for every player currently with a shotgun. That way, if you wanted to be the third player with a shotgun on the team, you need to pay 35 PRes rather than 15. It would even out weapon/alien classes a bit more.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this. One of the biggest problems in NS2 is every marine can get shotguns pretty much every spawn. In NS1 shotguns/HMG were rare unless the marines were dominating. This little change would balance it out a bit more.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    adding cooldown into certain weapons or limit certain amount per team is the best options in my mind.

The only way marines can bypass these options to allow more weapons, and quicker access to weapons, force the commander to drop weapons.
    It will force the commander to spend HIS res.

marines depend more on the armory now than the actual commander, pretty big issue. Either applying a limit on certain weapons per team or returning the armory to most basic form, any weapons above tier 2 can only be gotten from the commander. I like to see the commander larger role in supplying his marines.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited April 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1842346:date=Apr 26 2011, 06:21 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Apr 26 2011, 06:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842346"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The implementation would need to be clear, though, otherwise new players will get confused about the basic cost of each weapon/alien class. For example, on the armory/evolve screen, I'd put in a 3 column space next to each weapon/alien class that contains
    Col 1: Base cost
    Col 2: Current additional (upkeep) cost
    Col 3: Total cost to purchase

So, following with my shotgun example, it would be
    Columns: Col 1 - Col 2 - Col 3
    Cost: 15 - +20 - 35<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Having more than 2 players with a shotgun would be prohibitively expensive. If NS2 ever ends up with "massive" 16v16 matches... shotgun rush? Nope, you're f***ed.

One way to achieve what KuBaN is proposing ("role" persistence) is to simply lower the cost of buying the last-bought weapon. A "Regular Customer discount", if you will.
    <!--quoteo(post=1842450:date=Apr 26 2011, 04:14 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Apr 26 2011, 04:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having more than 2 players with a shotgun would be prohibitively expensive. If NS2 ever ends up with "massive" 16v16 matches... shotgun rush? Nope, you're f***ed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You could still do a shotgun rush, it just would be really expensive. The point is to encourage a greater distribution of better weapons/alien classes. Also, the values can be changed to scale better with playercount, the above was just an example.
    I thought the point was to encourage "sticking to your guns" to make a bad pun, rather than greater variation. i.e. role persistence, rather than role diversity.
  • rhysjones81rhysjones81 Join Date: 2007-10-05 Member: 62548Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To be honest I think role diversity is what made NS so much fun

One minute your a HA train raping alien hives, when 5 onos rape you. Upon respawn you all get given Jetpack HMGs and rush another hive, the aliens evolve to lerks and fades to take you down.

Then low on res you smash out a bunch of shotguns and run to the last hive, where the still alive fades and lerks try and beast you again!

If we lowered costs here, and ballsed costs there it would just either totally ruin this, or make games feel very linear and stale.

I think we should just keep it how it is, the aliens have ways of defending every tactic and vice versa, lets not try to gimp them from trying any tactic or defending from any tactic.
    <!--quoteo(post=1842740:date=Apr 27 2011, 10:44 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Apr 27 2011, 10:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought the point was to encourage "sticking to your guns" to make a bad pun, rather than greater variation. i.e. role persistence, rather than role diversity.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I suppose your right with regards to the op. My suggestion is to change it into a mechanism that promotes role diversity.
    I'm not necessarily trying to limit diversity, just make the anticipated matchups more reliable. If you know what race your opponent is likely to be, you have the opportunity to counter/respond appropriately. That's the basis of any strategy game (RTSs, fighting games, etc.). When information is too limited it's hard to react. When there's too much information it's impossible to ever gain an advantage. Balance is key.
    edited April 2011
    As it is, there's nothing to inhibit role diversity, except personal resource costs, but that's a given. One way you might, very easily, encourage role diversity is to plateau (flatten) the costs.

But I'm saying that if you did want more role persistence, lowering the cost for the last-used weapon would, very easily, encourage it.

So, simply put:
    More role persistence: Lower the cost of the last-used weapon; requires some code.
    More role diversity: Flatten the costs of all equipment: make the costs more similar and maybe lower; only requires number-tweaking.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited May 2011
    Okay.. How about this at least as far as the diversity thing goes:

Marine weapons cost all the same or relatively the same flat rate and the upkeep is the expensive part after the first time use it'd increase in cost each time and lower each time the weapon isn't bought either over a set time period or per life.. Doesn't make much real-life sense, but if you wanted weapon diversity this would probably force it a bit, it'd also reward not dying so often to keep your role cheap.

I suppose the same or similar could be done to Kharaa, but I'm not sure that would go as well since they work differently.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay.. How about this at least as far as the diversity thing goes:

Marine weapons cost all the same or relatively the same flat rate and the upkeep is the expensive part after the first time use it'd increase in cost each time and lower each time the weapon isn't bought either over a set time period or per life.. Doesn't make much real-life sense, but if you wanted weapon diversity this would probably force it a bit, it'd also reward not dying so often to keep your role cheap.

I suppose the same or similar could be done to Kharaa, but I'm not sure that would go as well since they work differently.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or how about this, and if I'm repeating someones idea I apologize, all lifeforms/personal marine purchases start at a flat or very similar cost. The more that weapon/upgrade or lifeform is bought the more expensive it gets for anyone new who wants to buy it. The caveat is if you already purchased the weapon, it will cost the same for you as long as you stay with the weapon. This way it encourages both role diversity and role persistence while still allowing people to switch things up. When someone changes weapons the cost drops for the following people in that same weapon bracket. This encourages people to stay in the same weapon bracket in the hopes of the price dropping for them.

The trick would be implementing it so it is extremely clear how it works for new players.

Maybe use a multiplier. So something like very every person who buys the weapon it cost 20%(.2) more expensive for the next person.

So shotgun cost if three people have have it will be 60% more expensive. (15 * 1.6 = 24)
    It's kind of invisible though, that's my problem with that suggestion. I also don't necessarily see a need for enhancing role diversity OR role persistence, but if we really wanted to, manipulating the costs is what would do it for you. But my two given examples (flatten the costs for diversity, discount last-used weapon for persistence) are not quite as invisible, and I imagine, very easy to code in.
  • rhysjones81rhysjones81 Join Date: 2007-10-05 Member: 62548Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As the Kharaa stands at the moment, in early game you will evolve to whatever you feel comfortable fighting as, for me its fade, But I would ask if we were struggling and I could afford it, do we need a lerk?

Even though its my own personal cost and res which this goes under I evolve to lerk for the team. Even though I'm a way better fade.

Perhaps this is all it needs from marines, rather than keeping your personal res to yourself, just a quick buzz on the microphone to the commander and ask him based on what he/she can see what weapon would they like me to use?

Thing with marines is shotguns early on especially are often pure beasts anyway, most skulks will drop to one shot, so being a solo shotgunner will win out and the decision is simple. I mean this doesn't help at all given what you guys are talking about, but leaving it upto a bit of teamwork is much simpler to program for :)
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    Oh the days of getting killed, spawning, rushing to retrieve your shotty or HMG, only to see it disappear in front of you. Swapping weapons until your team mate got back to get his. Getting flamed because you gave him your shotty and kept his HMG. 8]
    I think an alien should be able to destroy a weapon after a kill to prevent it from being retrieved. Maybe get a point, or not.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps this is all it needs from marines, rather than keeping your personal res to yourself, just a quick buzz on the microphone to the commander and ask him based on what he/she can see what weapon would they like me to use?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This right here is one of the biggest and most straight forward way of solving this problem. If the commander had some sort of mechanism to flag what weapons he wants marines to have on the field I think we would see more role diversity and persistence. It would also connect the commander more directly to the soldiers on the field. My answer to this was to allow the commander to literally choke the amount of weapons a armory can dispense and have out at once.

A three option system for the marine commander was an idea I mentioned before:
    The first option, the commander can hard limit the armory to allow only two flame throwers on the field at once, and so on.
    the second option, the commander can soft limit the armory so it only shows recommended weapon load outs, but doesn't force marines to buy certain weapons.
    the third option is an open armory in which marines can buy whatever they want without any guidance what so ever.
    We had a discussion about this in another thread; currently that third option is what's in the game, and the first is just creating limitations which are bad (among other things which we discussed in the thread), so the second option (which I am for), which is a balance between going with a certain strategy and utter chaos (recommended weapon load outs) is the best option there is.