Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 171 released

Comments

• devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I can report my server uses about 100mb less memory with this patch. Still seeing 80% cpu usage when idle though :/
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1840886:date=Apr 13 2011, 05:14 PM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Apr 13 2011, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840886"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->IDirect3DVertexBuffer::Lock failed (Ran out of memory).<!--c2--></div><!--ec2--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I tried once to connect to a server. I got the black screen and this same message was spamming the console. I gave up and haven't tried again.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    ONOS! JETPACK! EXOSUIT! ETC! CANNOT WAIT!
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited April 2011
    I see no mention in the changelog of the fact that Drifters now travel ABOMINABLY SLOW, although I remember seeing it on the Progress page that they were slowing them down.

@Lorian: Anyone who wants to view this image is required to wait 60 seconds before they can DOWNLOAD it, and have no choice of just viewing it. I would suggest you get an account with photobucket, tinypic, imageshack, or any other of the numerous imagehosting sites that don't enforce this ridiculous limitation.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1840886:date=Apr 13 2011, 03:14 PM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Apr 13 2011, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840886"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The server I play on almost exclusively (#156 West) is still down, so I don't have an unbiased frame of reference to base the difference in performance<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I had some of the same troubles with black screen on server connect, but there we're only 4 servers up last night. I'm hoping #156 West will be up once I get home and I can make a fair comparison.

<!--quoteo(post=1840904:date=Apr 13 2011, 04:23 PM:name=Lorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lorian @ Apr 13 2011, 04:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840904"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks kuBaN! There are the Links:

<a href="http://rapidshare.com/files/457288404/Foto0040.jpg" target="_blank">1. Pic</a>

<a href="http://rapidshare.com/files/457288405/Foto0041.jpg" target="_blank">2. Pic</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://imgur.com/" target="_blank">Imgur</a> is your friend, use it.
  • gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1840918:date=Apr 13 2011, 05:18 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Apr 13 2011, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840918"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had some of the same troubles with black screen on server connect, but there we're only 4 servers up last night. I'm hoping #156 West will be up once I get home and I can make a fair comparison.

<a href="http://imgur.com/" target="_blank">Imgur</a> is your friend, use it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bob,

We are working on Team #156 West at the moment, we hope to have it back up soon.

Playa_2B
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Looking forward to taking it for a spin tonight. Well done Max!
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    Performance improvements, and more coming? THATS ALL YOU HAD TO SAY! :D
  • RigorRigor Join Date: 2011-02-05 Member: 80545Members
    Played briefly, only as an alien:

Took forever to get the game to launch and work; black screen frozen several times
    Drifters would NOT build a crag no matter where I tried; only circle the spot and then do nothing
    On Rockdown, could not spread DI in West or very far into Aux
    MACs would go under the floor and disappear
    Could not find a place in the Alien Start where a drifter would build a Whip but was able to in Central
    Graphics studdered more than usual
    Marines whined they could not use MAC's
    Then the server crashed
    Same problems persisted
    STILL have issues with the Melee upgrade buttons...takes several attempts to click on Melee 1 for example
  • AngilasGuyAngilasGuy Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43590Members
    edited April 2011
    Here's what I've noticed so far:

-I haven't experienced any further slowdown, I can still play just fine.
    -In commander mode (Marines or aliens) as I scan the map, the room names no longer change on the top left. It instead stays saying "Marine Start" or "Alien Start"
    -Macs sometimes go underground. One round I was trying to build an armory, but every mac I built went underground when I tried to build, so I couldn't make an armory.
    -Drifters feel a bit glitchy. I would try building crags, and they wouldn't transform. On some rounds though, I got them to build.
    -Power node bug. Lights stay on.
    -Marine rifle sound still around.
    -In readyroom (Not tram's.. the other one.. forget the name) I fall through the elevator platform. I'm forced to type j1 or j2 in console.
    -Macs/Drifters soooometimes unresponsive to commands.
    -As a skulk, when I was facing a power node and chewing on it, my view was jittery. Maybe hitbox issue? I dunno.

No worries guys, when you change something big, I would expect big bugs to show themselves. I can be patient, I'm confident you'll sort them through, so keep up the good work!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1840920:date=Apr 13 2011, 05:38 PM:name=gamester_5)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gamester_5 @ Apr 13 2011, 05:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840920"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bob,

We are working on Team #156 West at the moment, we hope to have it back up soon.

Playa_2B<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No worries :)

I just didn't want to make a comment about how better/worse B171 is to B170 until I got the chance to test it on the server (Team #156 West) I play on primarily. Messing around in a listen server is great, but since the performance bottleneck seems to be server-side, I can't say anything about an improvement until I played a few 10+ person matches.
  • AdamaAdama Join Date: 2010-12-21 Member: 75826Members
    Right, NS2UK servers updated so hopefully there are a few more servers online to test this update out. Have fun.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    All Team #156 servers are back up. I'm having a few problems getting the West server to show up on the Dev Stalker page atm though.
  • LorianLorian Join Date: 2011-01-05 Member: 76290Members
    edited April 2011
    Uploaded the Pics of my failurelog at Imgur.

<a href="http://imgur.com/a/Cgwco" target="_blank">Imgur link</a>

Ok. Imgur is my friend. ^^
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I could finally connect to some servers without a black screen. However, some of these servers have horrible framerates. The server tickrates are fine, but my client framerate is 1/5th that of normal. Other servers with the same map have normal framerates. I go from 60+ FPS to 12 FPS depending on the server (both empty). Strange.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    connects, plays game for about 3 minutes, c2d

rinse and repeat

also getting artifacts now yayyyy... nope not heat as vid card is at 40 in game, cpu is at 50, wasnt artifacting in 170, no other game is artifacting and I run every other game on high 1920x1080

dropped res down, still c2d and artifacts. funny part is i was playing a game 3 minutes ago as com and the only artifact was the lerk.

win7 x64
    gtx 470
    4 gigs
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    also just noticed that all of my cores are actually in use
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Now that its a lot smoother i think its much much easier to shoot moving targets!

Perhaps skulks need to be faster now to compensate?
  • PetcoPetco Join Date: 2003-07-27 Member: 18478Members, Constellation
    About armor upgrade vs shotgun - Doesn't the shotgun specifically ignore armor (seen it in an NS2HD video)? Try testing alien armor on non-shotgun weapons (pistol for example).
    Having played B171 a bit, I can't say I've seen any change in performance. Though, some servers seem to be pretty unstable with the black screen bug and crashes.
  • emtegemteg Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14207Members
    I got a hughe performance boost! I can finally actually play the game. Or so i thought at first... after some time the performance goes down to horrible again. Its wierd. I connect to the server, everything is running smoothly with a playable framerate at any resolution and with every second the performance gets worse.

But i see that you guys are on a good way and someday i may be able to finally play a whole round of the game I bought :)

I dont have any trouble connecting to server.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    emteg, you can try to find out what is going on with the different commands, like r_stats, o_stats and profile 1
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    Amazing update UWE. NS2 went from completely unplayable to decent performance in 4v4 and below. No doubt it's only a matter of time for 6v6+ to be playable too.
  • T_RATT_RAT Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10967Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Hey All,

Could not connect, just get the black loading screen aswell.
  • aliasWarlordaliasWarlord Join Date: 2010-06-09 Member: 71999Members
    Despite various new bugs due to the big change it ran smoother to me so i hope this will be the right direction to have a playable game soon :)

BRING IT ON GUYS!
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    Also can't connect :(
  • emtegemteg Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14207Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1840957:date=Apr 14 2011, 05:24 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Apr 14 2011, 05:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->emteg, you can try to find out what is going on with the different commands, like r_stats, o_stats and profile 1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I just used the profiler (interesting stuff!) and this is what happened: I created a LAN game on rockdown, joined marines, went to the alien have and just looked at it. My frame rate was about 15 FPS. Suddenly it dropped down to 10 - 7 FPS for no apparent reason. I didnt even touch my controls, i didnt look around or anything. During the whole time "Game" used way more resources (I dont know what these %-bars at the top measure; 50+ ms) then rendering (1-5 ms). Then i walked out of the hive room and just faced a wall. No change in framerate. After a minute or so (again, I didnt move) something happened and my framerate reached a solid 25+ FPS again.

Is it the garbage collector?
  • bigpoppabigpoppa Join Date: 2011-03-27 Member: 89038Members
    My frame rate has significantly improved (15-20 FPS) but I've noticed some serious bugs regarding marine commander. Most importantly, when creating an armory on rockdown (I'm not sure if this was a one time bug or if others have experienced it) the game will take team resources and make the sound that the armory has been created but nothing will show up.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I understand why people are disappointed when something goes wrong with a patch, but personally I enjoy the "bad" patches. It's part of game developing, and experiencing it live is exciting imo. There's also much to learn from how they work, what their code does etc. That's why I paid to get early access.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    If i may throw this on the table..

How many of us who can't play the game/connect to servers are using ###### CPU's? I just recently bought a newly released game on steam that that was unplayable until i went into the game options and saw a "use multiple cores" option that was on by default. disabling that let me then play the game. Seeing a few people here state that all their cores are now being used, maybe there's a similarity.