Development Blog Update - NS2 Build 165 released

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Development Blog Update - NS2 Build 165 released here

Comments

• QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Doubled DI health?!!! It needed to be cut dramatically, not increased. It takes far too long for marines to kill DI, and the marines can spend the majority of their time clearing out their own base. All the alien commander has to do is just click down more to replace it. I strongly disagree with this change. Marines still need a way to deal with DI without flamethrowers.
  • Slickk-Slickk- Join Date: 2007-11-26 Member: 63019Members
    Thanks for the video Charlie but would you mind turning up the audio in future videos?
    I appreciate you are quite a softly spoken guy but i had to turn youtube to the max, system to the max and turn my speakers up. Not normally something i have to do.

In terms of content, sounds all good and looking forward to 166 and beyond. I love the big content patches though but i know the smaller ones inbetween are very important too.
  • throttlethrottle Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22776Members, Constellation
    Not hearing the lmg sound loop constantly after firing is a very very welcome change.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah I was walking around in build165, testing out the DI then trying to flame it... One patch takes almost 60% of all your ammo on your flamer! And since the Hive Mind can simply spam the stuff back, it seems quite... Impossible to take down now!

Why not have it be invulnerable until it gets up to 75% of it's max size instead of hard coding the HP?
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited February 2011
    I posted this on the youtube channel but incase u don't read there here it is again.

Charlie I love this format, it's unedited ( well just a little bit ) its real its great keep doing those plus I think it is alot easier for u than writing a hole blog.

Edit

Enjoy GDC and I hope u have alot of fun attending it, will u be filming stuff there?
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Yay for new Wall Walking in 166! Looks a lot like NS1 where we can smoothly maneuver!
  • FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    I'm stoked for the wall-walking. That was something that was always a bit annoying in NS1, and really annoying in NS2.

Have fun at GDC.

But whats up with the video aspect ratio? A 16:9 squished into a 4:3?
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can't wait for the wall walking! I still think there should be an effective way of implementing a view change as well though, as long as you could do it in a way (as many have stated) that doesn't confuse players as much. Or gives them a sense of 'gravity' (obviously visual, though you could have an audio filter that changed the sounds depending on your rotation which would be cool) so they know the right way up.

Love these dirty little vids, they are absolutely fine. Even if they are done in Movie Maker or something :P
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1834627:date=Feb 23 2011, 10:33 PM:name=FuzionMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FuzionMonkey @ Feb 23 2011, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But whats up with the video aspect ratio? A 16:9 squished into a 4:3?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Indeed, their embedded player on the main site is 4:3. Charlie is very thin now :P
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited February 2011
    I am pretty sure that that current DI is no where near what they want to see with the DI. I wouldn't worry that much about DI at the moment as it is only a prototype. I think the increased health is more of a Temporary thing.

Other than that, I think this smoother wall walking is by far MUCH BETTER can't wait to own some marines now :D

Edit: I was just about to play NS2 and then I realised that the build wasn't out yet (166)...
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2011
    Go on, good work, i realy like to see the new wallwalking in 166, because the "old" one is terrible.
    Edit:
    "New pistol sounds" yeah, i don't like the old sound, lets see how the new one is, or hear ^^

Oh is the "stair walking" in objects fixed?
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited February 2011
    Ohoooo I played Build 165 many hours ago :)

But still engine is too heavy to play and have fun !
    Keep focusing on the performance of game

And also waiting highly improved Spark Editor updates
    <!--quoteo(post=1834635:date=Feb 23 2011, 11:00 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 23 2011, 11:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834635"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh is the "stair walking" in objects fixed?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    165 smooth stairs yet again, well they haven't been this smooth before.

I did find a bug with it though in vents, when you look down at a 45degree angle towards the floor and walk forward. Somehow you get stuff on exits and doodads in the vents. I think this also happens everywhere else.

Look like the front of your Skulk is sticking trough the floor somehow and getting stuck on things.

And the Lerk his spikes shoot from beneath the model, oif you're on the floor trying to shoot, they will ricochet on the floor instead of actually going to the crosshair. Also they shoot below the crosshair and come from the middle of your HUD instead of from the spikeshooters
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1834637:date=Feb 24 2011, 12:07 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 24 2011, 12:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->165 smooth stairs yet again, well they haven't been this smooth before.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

huh?
    I talk about this bug
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=prize5#p/u/2/Cu5oeskGeC4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=prize5#p/u/2/Cu5oeskGeC4</a>

Edit:
    Ok looks like its fixed :) also running is more smooth
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    I've played 165 for some hours now, and though I do most of my serious alien business as a lerk, I have definitely already fallen in love with using the skulk just to wallwalk and surprise some mariners :D
  • FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1834629:date=Feb 23 2011, 05:42 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 23 2011, 05:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834629"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Indeed, their embedded player on the main site is 4:3. Charlie is very thin now :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Even on the main youtube page, the player is 16:9 but it is letterboxed VERTICALLY.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    500 health for the DI is a bit too much. Maybe 350 would be approximately good.

Marines just need to realize that they just need to destroy one critical patch that connects all the others to wipe out a LOT of DI.
    It's not very easy in Rockdown as it's such a small map, and Tram is still considered a 'small and not very complex one' by the devs, so DI killing will be easier and spreading will be harder in the upcoming maps.

Aliens REALLY need to fast expand to be able to survive in those.

Great patch though. What's most needed next is performance upgrades, as DI and hydras seem to slow down servers quite a lot.

Stoked for skull wallwalk!
    <!--quoteo(post=1834638:date=Feb 23 2011, 11:08 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 23 2011, 11:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834638"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->huh?
    I talk about this bug
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=prize5#p/u/2/Cu5oeskGeC4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=prize5#p/u/2/Cu5oeskGeC4</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I misread it, my bad. I thought you were going on about stair-walking on stairs... Which was quite buggy/jittery in 163/164
    hehe, and the reload glitch is fixed too, yeha, idk if its since 164 but its good now.
    Good work UWE.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Wasn't expecting a patch until Friday! Also DI needs to be placed automatically and lower the DI health, or keep the DI placement the same and raise the DI health. Pro job tho :D
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited February 2011
    great to see wall-walking is being ironed out, I also like to see skulks generally stick to walls easier without holding the walk button as well.

now, lerks, flight method had to somewhat change to make flight more smoother. I enjoy playing lerk but many times it just hits the ceilling more often than he should, this needs be somewhat changed. I know we not suppose to keep hitting the space bar, but ns1 lerk flight seemed far more smoother.

DI, it currently useless at least make it harm marine buildings at its current state, make it worth the cost to infest locations. DI must harm power nodes and marine builds to be useful for aliens even though its not so graphically pleasing at the moment.

gorges are rooted into the floor while building, nobody in the office said "hey wtf" the class already had zero defense. No self heal, slow and now rooted into the floor while building? the class already feels pretty dry without nothing else to do but drop hydras, you want to limit his movement further more?

also fade blink needs to be on those bug/balance issues as well. clicking must be reduced, and ability to catch moving targets. I can't imagine you like having fades chase marines on foot. Also fades aren't able to get into vents because of how bad current blink is.

other problems are marines sprint, can outrun skulks and fade pretty big balance issues. Marines can keep sprint but aliens must be faster than sprinting marines without even trying. I would hate to think skulk can be out ran by two legged marine. Either way something has to be done about this bug.

mac stacking, and them going through walls is another bug currently we have. macs have to be limited to certain number, currently marines can have unlimited numbers of them. Someone said one mac per CC, which does sound promising.

will be looking forward to the next patch. I liked seeing video with this patch, good to see feedback like that. I hope you can answer more questions in that A&Q thread.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited February 2011
    Thanks Charlie for the great effort! Man, do you look sleepy!

Anyway, the fix for DI would ideally (for me) be DI patches recede when on fire, and is tied to health (similar to construction speed vs. structure health). So the less health DI has, the faster it recedes.

As for the Hive DI, allow the Hive to automatically generate another DI patch under it after one has been destroyed (this one is THE Hive DI patch as well, so it doesn't recede like other patches).

Definitely looking forward to smooth wall-walking, and have fun at the conference!

Also, can evolving aliens in eggs create a small DI patch under them? Currently, there's no way to get more health if you're evolving away from DI.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1834622:date=Feb 24 2011, 06:23 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 24 2011, 06:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not have it be invulnerable until it gets up to 75% of it's max size instead of hard coding the HP?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or just have growth/size/maturity independent of HP.
    So it still takes the same amount of damage to clear a patch, regardless of its maturity.

Having said that, I honestly hope DI doesn't stay as this 'discrete patch' implementation anyway, so that could just be wasted work.

<!--quoteo(post=1834647:date=Feb 24 2011, 07:27 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Feb 24 2011, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->great to see wall-walking is being ironed out, I also like to see skulks generally stick to walls easier without holding the walk button as well.

now, lerks, flight method had to somewhat change to make flight more smoother. I enjoy playing lerk but many times it just hits the ceilling more often than he should, this needs be somewhat changed. I know we not suppose to keep hitting the space bar, but ns1 lerk flight seemed far more smoother.

DI, it currently useless at least make it harm marine buildings at its current state, make it worth the cost to infest locations. DI must harm power nodes and marine builds to be useful for aliens even though its not so graphically pleasing at the moment.

gorges are rooted into the floor while building, nobody in the office said "hey wtf" the class already had zero defense. No self heal, slow and now rooted into the floor while building? the class already feels pretty dry without nothing else to do but drop hydras, you want to limit his movement further more?

also fade blink needs to be on those bug/balance issues as well. clicking must be reduced, and ability to catch moving targets. I can't imagine you like having fades chase marines on foot. Also fades aren't able to get into vents because of how bad current blink is.

other problems are marines sprint, can outrun skulks and fade pretty big balance issues. Marines can keep sprint but aliens must be faster than sprinting marines without even trying. I would hate to think skulk can be out ran by two legged marine. Either way something has to be done about this bug.

mac stacking, and them going through walls is another bug currently we have. macs have to be limited to certain number, currently marines can have unlimited numbers of them. Someone said one mac per CC, which does sound promising.

will be looking forward to the next patch. I liked seeing video with this patch, good to see feedback like that. I hope you can answer more questions in that A&Q thread.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Do you only ever play aliens or something?

Anyway, <b>twiliteblue</b> has created a Lerk flight mod, which makes the flight model smoother and experiments with limited freelook for mid-flight spiking. Check it out, see if it soothes your sore ass. <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112361&view=findpost&p=1824885" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1824885</a>
  • StormApanStormApan Join Date: 2007-06-17 Member: 61280Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Small notation: skulk jump sounds are meh! if you press spacebar repeatedly as a skulk it sounds like a subway train is swooshing through a subwaystation.. it needs to be more subtle and organic? or just as simple as in ns1, that good ol clicking sound. Or atleast something sounding like 4 clawed paws (or whatever they have) landing/taking off. The current sound reminds me of the arms of the armory earlier actually.

Wasn't some patch recently suposed to add jump sound variations? not on a skulk..
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    i'm glad i was lazy and put off collision geometry. yay improved wall walking
  • Simon493Simon493 Join Date: 2011-02-20 Member: 82724Members
    IMO DI health should rely on one of two things or both.

Distance from a hive

and

Time it has been on that area.

You can pay me in lasers.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Since I won't have time to check out 165 for a couple days, just wanted to comment on the video presentation. Thanks for using that tripod/stand, it helps out a lot :P
    I didn't think sound was too soft, either. Have fun at GDC! You should share what kinds of panels you guys get to go to :D
  • StormApanStormApan Join Date: 2007-06-17 Member: 61280Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    The whip unroot and re-deploy and also placing of crag on infested DI is not that reliable. After I unrooted a whip the whole unit dissapeared once. I know next patch will improve theese things so will be cool!

Also we need some quick key to reach DI infest. It is a key strategic thing and I think a hiveselection is a bit too much. Maybe flashlight key for commander mode?
    A key to cancel selection of drifter/macs would also be appreciated. Escape would be good but thats the exit to menu button.. Sorry if any of theese exist allready =)

Also if it aint disabled by 165; disable use of leap when not researched. Accidentaly clicking RMB wastes energy. Make it chuckle if leap aint researched lol.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Dynamic Infestation has a serious weakness at the moment. Once the Infestation nexus around a Hive is killed, it cannot be repaired, and all the structures on the DI chain will slowly die. <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/hive_not_regenerating_infestation" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t...ing_infestation</a>

It would be good if the Gorge can repair DI, and keep (some of the) disconnected DI alive (as it would take lot of effort). I would also suggest allowing the Gorge to place permanent DI instead of small temporary ones, but with a longer cooldown (~10 seconds) on the ability.

DI also needs exclusion zones around which new DI nodes cannot be created, to limit the number of DI nodes, as they can overburden the server.

About the Fade, there's currently a bug with Blink, when aiming directly at an enemy player, it will not create the "ghost", or teleport you. It is also extremely difficult to blink behind entities due to the ray tracing algorithm.

BTW Thanks for spreading the word <b>Harimau</b>, so more people could start discussing, and experimenting with suggestions for Lerk flight movement.
  • BandannaBandanna Join Date: 2010-12-13 Member: 75658Members
    Resolution 1366x768 doesnt work. It currently shows some other resolution that doesnt fit into my screen. Why I use such an ungodly res? My monitor broke and im using my TV to play :/