Maximum Immersion

2»

Comments

• broadbandbroadband Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1831816:date=Feb 12 2011, 06:17 PM:name=sheena_yanai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sheena_yanai @ Feb 12 2011, 06:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1831816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->videos<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

so basically, i'm looking at call of duty in the future with some gimmick hp bars? what do people see in these games?
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The problem is that you are watching a video of someone playing, where as realistically if you were playing you would be staring right down the centre of the crosshair - and the HUD bob would be in your peripherals most of the time.

Seriously, who doesn't look at those Crysis 2 videos and feel 'in' the game.

Even if it was implemented into NS2, it wouldn't have to bob much. But if it looks like some sort of transparent holographic concave display in front of your eyes, I bet it would look damn cool.

The multi-player looks pretty uninspired mind, but I think I'd have to play it to find out. To me it looks like it is aimed at the casual gamer (not very complex) so that it can transition to the console market. What a shame for something to happen to such an awesome engine.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1831999:date=Feb 14 2011, 01:16 AM:name=broadband)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (broadband @ Feb 14 2011, 01:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1831999"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so basically, i'm looking at call of duty in the future with some gimmick hp bars? what do people see in these games?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well you can run 50 miles an hour into a base, jump 20 feet into the air, and drop kick a korean soldier through a portacrapper.

Not many games let you do that.

<!--quoteo(post=1832002:date=Feb 14 2011, 01:34 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Feb 14 2011, 01:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832002"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously, who doesn't look at those Crysis 2 videos and feel 'in' the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me.

Seriously the hud does absolutely nothing for me, the point of a hud is to be unobtrusive, the very fact that you notice it detracts from the game in most instances, if it's just there in the very corner of the screen when I need it I can ignore it completely the rest of the time, and then I feel 'in' the game because in real life I don't have floating glowing bars telling me how dead I am.

Unless the gimmick is that your character has some computer thingy strapped to them and using it is a major part of the game, the hud should not be obtrusive. The pip boy in fallout 3 is good because it does quite a few ingame things, the fact that your character has one is a plot point, and features like the radio and the health monitoring system are parts of what it does, in metroid prime you use your suit's computer quite a bit to get information and navigate the complex levels, in NS2 you don't do any of that. Your hud is there because you can't otherwise accurately display how dead your player is. The ammo counter is on the gun which is a nice change because it doesn't affect your ability to use it, but the health is still kind of just there, because it works and there isn't a better way of doing it. I don't think it needs to move around and sing cabaret to improve immersion.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1832026:date=Feb 14 2011, 03:01 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Feb 14 2011, 03:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well you can run 50 miles an hour into a base, jump 20 feet into the air, and drop kick a korean soldier through a portacrapper.

Not many games let you do that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I see past this threads disguise now!

Again with the toilets hmm?
  • SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1832026:date=Feb 14 2011, 03:01 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Feb 14 2011, 03:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your hud is there because you can't otherwise accurately display how dead your player is. The ammo counter is on the gun which is a nice change because it doesn't affect your ability to use it, but the health is still kind of just there, because it works and there isn't a better way of doing it. I don't think it needs to move around and sing cabaret to improve immersion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do think the immersion could be helped by having the HUD fit some kind of lore/explanation. The gun ammo counter makes sense, since IRL that is a very effective way of conveying ammo count.

Likewise, if the marines in NS use any sort of helmet mounted display, it would be great to see the health and armour counters designed around that. It doesn't necessarily have to bounce around like crazy, but something that fits with the lore (i.e. the HP bar could be explained as a generalised number representing vital statistics as measured by sensors in the marine armour) would be great, with a slight bob or curvature to it to suggest it is literally in front of you, rather than etched on your retina.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1832037:date=Feb 14 2011, 03:43 AM:name=Skiddywinks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skiddywinks @ Feb 14 2011, 03:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832037"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do think the immersion could be helped by having the HUD fit some kind of lore/explanation. The gun ammo counter makes sense, since IRL that is a very effective way of conveying ammo count.

Likewise, if the marines in NS use any sort of helmet mounted display, it would be great to see the health and armour counters designed around that. It doesn't necessarily have to bounce around like crazy, but something that fits with the lore (i.e. the HP bar could be explained as a generalised number representing vital statistics as measured by sensors in the marine armour) would be great, with a slight bob or curvature to it to suggest it is literally in front of you, rather than etched on your retina.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem with that is that when you go into that sort of depth, you need a slow game to do it in.

Crysis is actually a slow game, or at least is perfectly playable as one, you can go fast but you don't have to, so having to overcome the hud is not a problem. Same with fallout 3, the slowness of the pipboy is offset by it pausing the game while you fiddle with it.

In a game like NS which is very fast, you need responsiveness over everything else, sacrificing hud readability for looks is not a good idea.
  • wazups2xwazups2x Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72902Members
    I don't like it. It's just another annoying thing on the screen. I like to be as minimal as possible.
  • SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1832044:date=Feb 14 2011, 04:04 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Feb 14 2011, 04:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832044"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem with that is that when you go into that sort of depth, you need a slow game to do it in.

Crysis is actually a slow game, or at least is perfectly playable as one, you can go fast but you don't have to, so having to overcome the hud is not a problem. Same with fallout 3, the slowness of the pipboy is offset by it pausing the game while you fiddle with it.

In a game like NS which is very fast, you need responsiveness over everything else, sacrificing hud readability for looks is not a good idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm still suggesting the usual numerical ranges for your vitals (HP, armour and 0-100 and 0-30 respectively). I just think that a lore based explanation, along with the impression that the display is in front of your, rather than inside your head, would look cool and fit well.

I'm not suggesting displays like heart rate or blood pressure on your screen for example, that really would be to obtrusive and be hard to get any info from at a glance.*

*Maybe such a thing could be added as a model on top of a tactical pad on the arm or something. Would be cool to spot on teammates etc (or when rifle butting). Would be largely pointless though. Just pretty.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Half Life was "immersive" because it never left the players view and allowed (some) interaction with the things around it. And since were on the topic of HUDs, maybe it can be somewhat transparent?
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    i dont get why are you still talkin about the crysis hud, i wasnt saying "lets do the exact same hud layout for NS" more like applying its effect to anything we gonna see on the visor of the marine. and more important, the player characters movements and dynamic animations, the movement sound, they all add to this "im in there" effect.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you want to make a plausible health meter, have a cardio monitor - heartline, pulse, pressure.
    The more hurt you are, the higher the values go. It could even be introduced to make the marines a bit faster (not rate of fire. you don't throw the bullets, theyre shot by the gun that has a fixed rate of fire after all), but as the adrenaline kicks in the reload process becomes slower (shaking hands make it hard to insert the magazine).
  • xPreatorianxxPreatorianx Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75095Members
    lol "never before seen." Yea right to who? The leak has spread like wildfire so anyone that likes to jump the line has already played it.

Let's just say the game is phenomenal and this was the demo I was looking for. They still won't release the bloody MP demo so I already got my demo. I've already preordered this game thanks to the leak so they actually earned money from this. I know several people who have also.

(Yea people are gonna say I'm full of **** but look up my name in game when it launches. )
  • ItsJonoItsJono Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73053Members
    edited February 2011
    The new Crysis 2 is an awful console port;

Though it's not a complete product, the Beta which is arguably complete:

No Selectable Graphics, everything is pre-configured graphics setting based on profile

FOV is horribly low, and as a result I believe HUD is too so a large portion of the screen is undone

They got rid of individual suit powers, instead they've merged them. Speed mode is just sprint now. There is no speed punching or speed running to power jump.

No lean, no prone

Considerably smaller maps. You no longer choose how you want to achieve an objective.

The game has become Call of Duty with powers. I'm sure most of the graphics and FOV problems I have issues with can be resolved once we get a more indepth config.ini file to work with, but it will never address the core problems which Crytek have obviously "tweaked" (read: ruined) for consoles attention. Not only do I feel the Leak is deserved on Cryteks part because they failed to keep a check on their employees, but they clearly have betrayed their fanbase. Lastly, it's entirely possibly this is a marketing stunt to continue to strive for absolute console development in the future and will blame PC Piracy instead of their inability to keep their word by not dumbing down the PC version of their product.

-

Now as for this thread, the "wrap-around" HUD doesn't suit this game. You are part of a the Colonial Space Marines, you are soldiers given equipment sold by the lowest bidder. You aren't wearing top of the line military equipment that a select few people have that necessitate precision fighter jet input and situational awareness. This has been done before Crysis 2 in Halo 3. Notice how both have super suits which operate several computers while having a shielded eyes as a part of a suit? Of course theres a need for some sort of HUD that wraps around like that for immersion.
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1832079:date=Feb 14 2011, 02:19 AM:name=ItsJono)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ItsJono @ Feb 14 2011, 02:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The new Crysis 2 is an awful console port;
    Though it's not a complete product, the Beta which is arguably complete:
    <b>No Selectable Graphics, everything is pre-configured graphics setting based on profile</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's an internal leak. Of course there's no custom settings. You obviously don't understand the part that it was leaked from an internal source. Yes it may be almost complete but that doesn't mean all the features are in.

That's where the "Advanced" setting comes in on the graphics menu. It will have a separate UI that will pop up with all the customizations.

<!--quoteo(post=1832079:date=Feb 14 2011, 02:19 AM:name=ItsJono)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ItsJono @ Feb 14 2011, 02:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->T<b>hey got rid of individual suit powers, instead they've merged them. Speed mode is just sprint now. There is no speed punching or speed running to power jump.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1832079:date=Feb 14 2011, 02:19 AM:name=ItsJono)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ItsJono @ Feb 14 2011, 02:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>No lean, no prone</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Now I know you have not played the leak because of those sentences I have bolded. There is lean and there is a first person cover system ala killzone 2. FOV and all that is graphics settings which again are not included because it's an internal leak.

<!--quoteo(post=1832079:date=Feb 14 2011, 02:19 AM:name=ItsJono)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ItsJono @ Feb 14 2011, 02:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Considerably smaller maps. You no longer choose how you want to achieve an objective.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Also again you have not played the leak. The environments are huge and at any given time their are at least 3 completely different routes you can take to get to an objective. The suit's visor even points that out. Like "flank" and other tactics.

Please for the love of all their is holy educate yourself on what a leak, and beta mean. If you honestly think this will reflect the final product in terms of features... well your.... extremely... lacking in brain capacity to put it politely.

Also the suit powers have different modules as you progress through the game. They have unified them. As you progress you unlock modules to customize the abilities. Again stop talking about a leak you have obviously not played past the first 20 minutes if at all.

It's one thing to say you played the leak but it's another just to hop on the bandwagon, then dog the game and show that you haven't played it all in the same post.

Also before anyone says it as I have not read the entire topic. If anyone believes this leak will effect the sales your horribly wrong. On each level their is a laundry list of bugs. This is really just a demo that allows full access. But it's not in it's final state. The final product will still sell extremely well and I honestly believe this will positively effect the sales at this point because of the lack of the MP demo that was promised. All the PC gamers now have their "beta".

The only thing that will be negatively effected by this is the DRM. Which I'm all for being completely removed because of the DRM keys that were included. If it eradicates DRM on a game that will be neutralized day one anyways I'm all for it, as I don't want to have to deal with it on launch day when my copy arrives.
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1832082:date=Feb 13 2011, 11:37 PM:name=xPreatorianx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xPreatorianx @ Feb 13 2011, 11:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's an internal leak. Of course there's no custom settings. You obviously don't understand the part that it was leaked from an internal source. Yes it may be almost complete but that doesn't mean all the features are in.

Now I know you have not played the leak because of those sentences I have bolded. There is lean and there is a first person cover system ala killzone 2. FOV and all that is graphics settings which again are not included because it's an internal leak.

Also again you have not played the leak. The environments are huge and at any given time their are at least 3 completely different routes you can take to get to an objective. The suit's visor even points that out. Like "flank" and other tactics.

Please for the love of all their is holy educate yourself on what a leak, and beta mean. If you honestly think this will reflect the final product in terms of features... well your.... extremely... lacking in brain capacity to put it politely.

Also the suit powers have different modules as you progress through the game. They have unified them. As you progress you unlock modules to customize the abilities. Again stop talking about a leak you have obviously not played past the first 20 minutes if at all.

It's one thing to say you played the leak but it's another just to hop on the bandwagon, then dog the game and show that you haven't played it all in one go.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe before making baseless assumptions, i'll have you know that I may or may have not played the leak ;) I may have played leaks before. Remember the HL2 unfinished leak that came out a year before HL2 came out. So your needless and clearly self-righteous holier-than thou attitude isn't needed nor welcome.

First off, a majority of the torrents are named BETA which can be part of INTERNAL builds. Secondly, the leak was compiled on

BuildNumber=5620
    BuildName=crysis2(5620)_01_13
    BuildTime=2011/01/13:01:00:07

So when does the game get released? March? Then we have to factor in when the game goes gold and goes in for mass disc duplication, packaging, etc? Two months before release. It's entirely plausible to be a beta.

-

Then not only that, the game doesn't come with DX11. A majority of the sites circulating this leak seem to indicate they will be adding DX11 features in a patch AFTER the launch for the game. Clearly this indicates that it is a console-centric release that happened to fly over your head.

-

Lastly, you clearly have no rebuttal for my seeminly solid stance on the no prone, no lean etc. I'll be honest, I may have played with not much interest for about 2 hours on the highest settings and did not pick up a module but it is CLEAR to me that the map design is <i><b>NOWHERE</b></i> near that of Crysis 1 in terms of scope, depth, and even environment interactivity. A majority of the props in the levels are completely stationary, not nearly as destructible and the game is HIGHLY scripted. I'm sorry if this isn't apparent to you within the first two hours, you are a lost cause with no ability to discern these differences between the PC and Console version.
    gosh, i wish someone would lock this thread already, it turned out as a quite pointless ######storm ~.~
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1832083:date=Feb 14 2011, 02:40 AM:name=ItsJono)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ItsJono @ Feb 14 2011, 02:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe before making baseless assumptions, i'll have you know that I may or may have not played the leak ;) I've played leaks before. Remember the HL2 unfinished leak that came out a year ago? Played it on my MX440. So your needless and clearly self-righteous holier-than thou attitude isn't needed nor welcome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you honestly played the game then it just goes to show just how long you have played. As all of your points are absolutely false. Should I make a video outlining every single feature that you said was completely missing?

So how can they be baseless claims if you have basically said there is no X feature when it's clearly in the version that was leaked? That's like saying water is black and then when someone shows you clear or blue tinted water you start saying it's a baseless claim.

Again it doesn't matter what day it was compiled on and yes I have that info as well. You do realize a lot can happen in a few days code wise? I mean we are debating on a forum that has 10 people working for a small company and they can make anywhere from 2-30 + changes in a day. So if a small company can do that then an AAA production house I'm sure can easily add those features in.

I'm done you obviously are set in your opinion even though it has absolutely no fact supporting it. So it's a waste of time replying to you.

Also just because they don't include DX11 right at launch which let me remind you has not been one single official announcement to indicate it won't be. Doesn't mean it's a console port. But obviously if it's not picture perfect even in beta state it's a console port. I may be a PC elitist but even I know when something is from far left field in respects to fanboyism.

EDIT: ROFL you just proved my point with listing the build information.

2011/01/13:01:00:07

By now all the bugs could have been ironed out. This could have been a simple test to make sure a mechanic was working right. You don't know as the leaker didn't exactly include emails and conversation logs between the team outlining exactly what this build was in terms of milestones/QA/playtesting.
    edited February 2011
    and btw it does not matter if anyone has played anything, i always thought we just wont discuss illegal aquired material here, and it was quite a mistake of mine to post that one in the first place.
    so everyone just crawl back into your holes and let this thread finaly die
    edited February 2011
    I prove nothing by posting the build information, you can google that information with the links provided in the many "omg crysis was leaked" threads on many other blogs/forums.

It's clear that you have nothing worthwhile to post nothing with nothing but logical fallacies to provide and quick-to-jump assumptions. You say i'm a fanboy yet you post with the vigor and selective arguments that go above what the original argument is.

Enjoy your game, but you should quit trying so hard on the internet to defend an unreleased GAME on the internet from mild criticism and observation :)
    edited February 2011
    I love how you say I'm using logical fallacies but everything I said contradicts what you say because I spent enough time with it.

Also "Lastly, you clearly have no rebuttal for my seeminly solid stance on the no prone, no lean etc."

Um I countered that, way to go at reading comprehension. But since words don't go well with you let's serve up some video. Yes it doesn't have prone but it has lean and a cover system, as well as a sliding mechanic which is extremely useful when you have a pro at the stick/mouse.. That's all you need. So a factual statement from you would be "Lastly, you clearly have no rebuttal for my seeminly solid stance on the no prone situation." As that is the only fact you have in your entire post.

I've proved my points and the game proves them as well. So I'll leave you with a video proving lean, and the cover system and I'll let the final product prove the rest consider you don't feel like actually reading, comprehending, or understanding my points and the game's mechanics.

Also a console port will be a console port if the user playing doesn't even observe let alone take advantage of the full amount of features at his disposal. Any game can be a COD clone if you don't actually take the time to observe the differences. Which in this case would take you all of 20 seconds.

Environments : Keep in mind this is only one route for this level. Watch other video's to educate yourself on the others.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUKRGD5Z1D8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUKRGD5Z1D8</a>

"No lean"
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udUgCLcopiM&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udUgCLcopiM...feature=related</a>
    6:36 into the video

"Hold LT to lean over" You can also lean on the other edges of the cover.

Also yes he's using a 360 controller so before you say "console port" all PC games take advantage of that and they demoed it using a 360 controller like they always do so of course it has most of the UI labels.

I've proved my point. I'll let the game do the rest.

"Enjoy your game, but you should quit trying so hard on the internet to defend an unreleased GAME on the internet from mild criticism and observation :) "

Like wise you should stop trying so hard to bash an UNRELEASED GAME. As well as prove that your whole argument is devoid of simple observations even know you claim that's what it was and has the mentality of a troll.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1831899:date=Feb 13 2011, 05:46 PM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Feb 13 2011, 05:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1831899"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The same thing that you have to do writing here or even being part of this community.
    EOF<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    umad?

<!--quoteo(post=1832028:date=Feb 14 2011, 11:08 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 14 2011, 11:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Again with the toilets hmm?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Toilets = Atmosphere. I do believe this is <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112647" target="_blank">the second time</a> this has been established.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I don't really see this thread as contributing much to discussion of NS2, so...
This discussion has been closed.