[Dev Stalker] Track developer posts

Comments

• minimminim Join Date: 2009-05-14 Member: 67408Members
    It no longer lists changes to the NS2 Progress page, intentional or broken?
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Not intentional, the updater backend stopped running, fixed ta :)
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Hey Plasma, thought I'd optimize your site a bit by updating the image files.
    I didn't use "Save for Web" in Photoshop before, but now that I have the file size has been decreased by ~60% or so. Every little bit counts right?

<a href="http://www.andrige.com/ns2/NS2DevTrackerHeader__OptimizedFilesize.7z" target="_blank">Download</a>
  • falcfalc Join Date: 2011-03-18 Member: 87128Members
    Somehow the server list doesn't update properly, my server has a new ip since 4 days and doesn't show up ...

From memory there is also a bunch of other servers that are new and available ingame but won't appear on the tracker.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    It's definitely not adding new servers to the list, and only refreshing the old ones. There have been heaps more servers put up recently, would be nice if it started updating again.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been moving apartments!

I've updated the header images (thanks Triggerman!), and fixed the new servers not appearing in the list.

The problem was a DNS address that contained the master IP was failing to resolve properly, so new servers didn't get queried.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    What does it mean when it says "59 servers, 190 (82 local) players online |" What does local mean?
    Good question :)

The site always did this, but wrote it in a (more confusing) manner.

When there are people playing in your country, the stats bar will be orange with the number of players online, and also in brackets the number of those players who are local to you.

Local players are those who are playing on servers in the same country as you.

For example, I see "59 servers, 197 (4 local) players online" right now. This means there are 197 people playing NS2, and 4 of them are on an Australian server (where I live).

This lets me know quickly whether there are people to play with (locally in my country) without having to look at the server list to see if local servers are populated.
    Seems like it no longer posts updates from the progress page, just so you know.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    Nvm...quoted an old post that was answered. Sry
    I've added NS2HD to the tracker list (for forum posts!), and updated some avatars.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Got an update coming for the latest version of overmind?
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Yar, QStat has issues with NS2's own query-responder for not adhering strictly to the query-protocol (which is surprising), it has to do with QStat demanding a challenge for the rule\player-reply, which NS2 does not give, rather you're supposed to just directly request the data. GameOvermind's QR did both the challenge- and the direct-approach.

Enough of the jibber jabber, what you need to do is query all the servers directly (no need to look a port above or under anymore), and lift the tickrate- and ns2build-information from the gametags-field. It is part of the general-reply (the one that contains the server-name\maxslots et cetera), and looks like: build|gamemode|tickrate %. The uptime-information isn't exposed through it, so that won't be available anymore for the moment, though you don't have to remove the code associated with getting that data from the rules-reply, as when the rewrite of GM is done (in 2020), it'll work again with QStat.

Upside to all this for the moment, is that you can fetch the tickrate-data of all servers that run GM per definition (gives an insight into how many servers actually run it at this point).
  • VicVic Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75106Members
    Bug report: Server list Join Server tries to connect to query port instead of game port (27016 instead of 27015, 27019 instead of 27018 etc)

Could use a quick fix for this, as the in-game list is mostly down these days.
    Vic, unfortunately NS2 still won't connect via the steam:// protocol - even if its using the right port, it always assumes the server is not responding and won't launch the game.
  • VicVic Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75106Members
    Yup, I've noticed as well, I've tried changing the links with Firebug. Still, having the proper address displayed would make it easier for people who try to connect manually in-game. Maybe even hide the Join button until it's fixed?

I know it's certainly useful for me, to the point where I was wishing it had autorefresh as well (as refreshing manually hides the server list).
  • stickybootstickyboot Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25711Members, Constellation
    Can we get some checkboxes to toggle different news sources on or off? I think this would really be a killer feature as you could have a set of default 'official' new sources, but also have important community members (map makers, casters etc) available for those interested.

I thought of the idea after realizing I had little interest in the vast majority of the project tracker posts, and the fact there are so many of them. Obviously the other solution would to be to remove the progress tracker, but I don't really like that idea.
    I've made a quick bug fix to the tracker (it kept alternating between Drifters 2.0 being started/accepted), so that spam is now fixed.

Checkboxes and alternate news sources are a good idea, along with a feature for exporting the servers in XML format, ill see if I can add these features sometime soon.
    It no longer displays updates from the Progress Page.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It does, but the Pritoval Tracker doesn't.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Hey Plasma, I was wondering if perhaps you and whoever is responsible for the creation of <a href="http://ns2comp.herokuapp.com/" target="_blank">http://ns2comp.herokuapp.com/</a> can perhaps see if a merger of the two sites is possible? It would be a good match!
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We got a virus on our Dropbox build today. This is the time that distributed instant sharing of the latest build is NOT good. 50+ comps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is that going to delay b210? :( Did all the playtesters get it? Viruses suck, good luck and hope you guys get it cleaned up.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    please don't remove score. There's no reason.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    I am trying to do something similar and this is the first time I have used cURL (or attempted to pull information off of pages). I have run into a completely different problem though, on the specific users profile (whos posts I want to track) I cannot get it to show the posts by default (it seems to add the content in using javascript? or something similar?). Is there a specific url that will set it to show the posts tab by default?

Working out how some of left4dead works has opened up a whole new realm of possibilities for me, thank you Plasma!
  • vlncvlnc Join Date: 2010-09-07 Member: 73921Members, Squad Five Blue
    Hey guys,

With ns2france, we are running two servers (one classic and one combat mod). I can see them in the browser ingame and on nanogrid but nothing in the play4dead.com/ns2 's servers list.

Do i miss something ?
    what happened to the play4dead site ? :(
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It seems b216 crashed play4dead.com/ns2, presumably the increase in playerbase is to blame...
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Dev tracker is down!! My life is RUINED!!!!
    Hey gang,

It should be back up now, seems the DNS changes of the UWE site threw my server out of wack. I've fixed it.

- Andrew