Ragdolls

zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Need rotation constraints</div>NS2 ragdolls really need rotation constraints. It's especially noticeable on human characters - It looks super awkward when kills turn to jelly. Also gibs on grenade kills would be nice.

Comments

• juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    I imagine "fix ragdolls" on the tracker aims to address this
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    It's possible it does, or it's possibly totally unrelated. We can only hope so!
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    never checked, but do they collide with themselfs (so that arms do not clip through the torso or something like that).
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    "Rotation constraints" refers to limiting the rotation joints to a range of motion consistent with reality. The end result being ragdoll behavior that simulates the flexibility of a human body.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    They do have rotation constraints, but they need to be adjusted. Rag dolls collide with themselves, but they can have certain pieces configured to not collide with each other (typically adjacent pieces).
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1823180:date=Jan 10 2011, 05:27 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jan 10 2011, 05:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1823180"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 ragdolls really need rotation constraints. It's especially noticeable on human characters - It looks super awkward when kills turn to jelly. Also gibs on grenade kills would be nice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it looks more awkward when a marine is sent flying when getting bitten by a skulk. i think it's more of a physics issue rather than the rotation constraints. adjustting the gravity of a ragdoll to make it more realistic when they fall would add more realism.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    I, for one, hope UWE wont fix they übersilly ragdoll physics for a while, i find them really funny and i often find myself making Dr. Zoidberg-sounds "WOOB WOOB WOOB) when they fly away :D
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited January 2011
  • WarlockSynoWarlockSyno Join Date: 2010-07-11 Member: 72312Members
    The guys developing Overgrowth did fixed this, sort of:
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehHrY3llHf4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehHrY3llHf4</a>