Max power level per Area | Power Grid Design !

Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
edited December 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/max_power_level_per_ar</div>As currently seeing in-game, there is too much turrets/hydra/crag/whip/etc.. build everywhere.

Why don't use the power grid to limit that ? You fix a limit of power let's say 50.. and then each building consume an amount of power so aliens/marines can't build too much thing on the same Area.
They have to choose wisely what should be built and where. And not such horrible spam of buildings everywhere.

<a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/max_power_level_per_area" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t..._level_per_area</a>

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I'm... surprisingly not opposed to the idea. Would prevent marines from getting a 2nd tech point for just long enough to start upgrading their home CC and then just turtling for heavy weapons.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Actually Dynamic Infestation is supposed to counter the PowerGrid.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1819748:date=Dec 27 2010, 05:42 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Dec 27 2010, 05:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually Dynamic Infestation is supposed to counter the PowerGrid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this. lots of DI discussion lately. i don't think we're gonna see DI for awhile tho. too much work to be done on gameplay and onos/shade/shift/exo/jp/factory/bacon/masc/bombard etc etc etc.
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1819748:date=Dec 27 2010, 10:42 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Dec 27 2010, 10:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually Dynamic Infestation is supposed to counter the PowerGrid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But will the Dynamic Infestation stop building spam hydra/turret ? I don't think, and that's a real big deal.
    In NS2 you can put turret everywhere where the power is up and "soon" (later build :D ) there will be portable power supply so even in area that aren't powered you can have them.

But if we just think of logistic, power isn't unlimited. So you have to manage the power available and what you are going to deploy.

The same principe could be applied to the aliens where hive (& dynamic infestation) can't handle too much structure because it has reached its max potential of growth. Same thing apply to gorge who can't generate illimited "splash" from their bodies if they don't eat anything at a moment (and battle in NS2 don't last days ! :p )

Nb : Gorge can rest & eat at the Ready Room ^^
  • Wyattx3Wyattx3 Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18386Members
    This is an interesting and new idea! (To me at least!)

IF there needs to be a limit imposed on the number of structures placed in an area, I think this is an intelligent way of handling it. You would need more power as you increase the number of operating machinery you have.

But I think we forget, there is already another limit imposed, resources. Ultimately, if a team can horde resources enough to create walls of lame or other annoying spawns of spam, that team should be able to reap the benefits.

However, if there is a lag issue that cannot be resolved, and another limit has to be imposed... as I said before this is an intelligent way of implementing it.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    err... i thought the power grid was to accomplish just that in the finished game, and dynamic infestation acts similary as counter.. its not realy something new because..i expected it to be like that
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    It would be an interesting mechanic, capturing new areas equates to increasing your supply, allowing you to build more structures, not simply unlocking a new tech level.
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1819805:date=Dec 28 2010, 03:46 AM:name=sheena_yanai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sheena_yanai @ Dec 28 2010, 03:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->err... i thought the power grid was to accomplish just that in the finished game, and dynamic infestation acts similary as counter.. its not realy something new because..i expected it to be like that<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What they said about power grid at the beginning (if i remember right) :

- you have area named a,b,c linked each other (a<->b<->c)
    - a is the main area (marines start) & b/c are conquested area
    - aliens cut off power in the area "b", then "c" is cut off from command so you don't earn the ressource gathered on it (and maybe it cuts off power too until marines get back power in area "b")

As from we can see in-game each area have it's own power and this power grid design, as describe by UWE, isn't in place right now. Maybe later.
    But that's not what can help stopping the spam of turrets/hydras.

My idea, i think, is the best because she has a "natural" reason to be in. The power grid as they asked us in the past look weird now because we can place CC in multiple area on a determined position. And the CC is the "main" building which receive the ressource and controls building around it. (and so you gather the ressource from almost all area)
    I think the CC should consume 0 power if they keep this type of gameplay.

If they want to change it so that you have only one CC or you place it where you want on the map (like old NS1). The more power node you have, the more available power you have to build your structures on the map and you have to take care of your nodes so.
    And of course we keep the principe of building being inactive if the area isn't powered up.
  • Shadow58Shadow58 Join Date: 2009-11-17 Member: 69406Members
    Yeah look at this, infestation is still coming, adding a limit to each room or sector would be great, and is not just great but needed.
    Though if you charge more points for things it can slow down production and cause for people to compromise on spaming buildings perhaps.
    Also if you take the power down how about all things in the sector switch off but make flamethrowers extra powerfull against alien buildings or removes infestation, and if a alien building what is built on infestation gets cut off, infestaion cuts off from main line, then only once the infestaion rejoins will the plan ome back to life and be usefull again. This system will enable a new way of gameplay for buildings but limit the power in spamming. so even if they spam plants in a area, cut the infestation off, it stops geting nutrients from the main hive and the buildings cut off begin to die.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2010
    I'm also for limitation on the density of attacking structures. Facing against a turret/bunker/cannon farms in an RTS is never fun. The problem can be severe in NS2, where siege weapons aren't available til a team has 2 tech points, which can be denied with sentries/hydras/whips.
  • Shadow58Shadow58 Join Date: 2009-11-17 Member: 69406Members
    You know I think what my view of what to do would help: power-nodes, when working allows marines to use their guns, but when it's down, they can't and leaves them valnerable to attack. DI should be used as the floor for which aliens need for building things, if there's no infestation you can't build there, this will allow you to build hydra's on walls and ceilings but also limit you from being able o spam them in more needed place early in game,. Power nodes get killed by infestation but flamethrowers should kill infestation. This cycle will help allot, also slowing down the speed in which they build will put pressure in keeping them alive while they get built. if we considered doing that, we might get something, to be working,..
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1820870:date=Jan 2 2011, 02:06 PM:name=Shadow58)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shadow58 @ Jan 2 2011, 02:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820870"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know I think what my view of what to do would help: power-nodes, when working allows marines to use their guns, but when it's down, they can't and leaves them valnerable to attack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You're joking, right? Sarcasm?
    I think so too. There is no link between guns and power nodes. If we go that way then alien can't attack when they aren't on infested ground ?
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    Well when infestation ultimately makes it in I think turrets/hydras should be handled like this. Like the OP suggests, Powergrid/infestation in a room would only be capable of handling a certain numbers of turrets/hydras respectively. In addition if turrets are placed in infested areas using portable power nodes or if hydras are placed in un-infested areas they turrets and hydras should slowly start decaying in health on account of the nanite/bacterium war going on all over the map. A turret placed in infestation would be attacked and desolved slowly by the bacterium. Hydras put in un-infested areas would be attacked and slowly broken apart by the nanites. So this also adds another twist to powergrid, infestation expansion.

Other larger structures such as harvesters etc. would be unaffected by this nanites/bacterium war since they produce enough of their own counterparts to keep the microscopic attacks at bay.