Role of the gorge and role of the alien commander

louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Could it be?</div>Currently its looking so far that the alien commander is very extensive and helps the team in a huge variety of ways, ranging from defense to offense as upgrades come and whips are planted.

but the gorge.... can build hydras....

honestly i feel this is a complete disaster who else feels the same?

IF you do may i ask what do you think about...

giving the gorge more build capabilities? i have see and read alot about this, many posts ranging from giving the gorge the ability to make spore mines... from making other kinds of offensive structures and the ability to spread the DI as a main role to expand the base.

what are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Dude, there are TONS of threads regarding this already, always search and use existing threads (yes, even if the thread has died) before posting your own.
  • SafetyHelmetSafetyHelmet Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75298Members, Constellation
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    So terrible a poast that poast doesn't even deserve to be spelled right. :)
  • T_RATT_RAT Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10967Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I don't think the gorge is fully developed yet. So it's hard to comment on something that isn't finished.

I think it will be tricky to try and balance the abilities of the gorge and the alien commanders abilities.
    Webbing would be a late game ability that could contribute greatly to the slien team.
    Babblers they were fun. Would be really useful. Are they going to include these abilities does anyone know?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    someone please close this thread. there have been many threads about this, and it has been said everytime that not all features are in the game, for example gorges will spread the dynamic infestation.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    @OP: ...you realy need to learn how to search, and stop posting stuff that's already been beaten half to death.

@T_RAT: babblers will be a T3 ability of the Crag structure.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    they should have a decent offensive utility, i.e. a pig should kill a human if the pig ambushes him and is skillful with the attack.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1819255:date=Dec 25 2010, 08:08 AM:name=louis cardinal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (louis cardinal @ Dec 25 2010, 08:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819255"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Currently its looking so far that the alien commander is very extensive and helps the team in a huge variety of ways, ranging from defense to offense as upgrades come and whips are planted.

but the gorge.... can build hydras....

honestly i feel this is a complete disaster who else feels the same?

IF you do may i ask what do you think about...

giving the gorge more build capabilities? i have see and read alot about this, many posts ranging from giving the gorge the ability to make spore mines... from making other kinds of offensive structures and the ability to spread the DI as a main role to expand the base.

what are your thoughts on this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah right now gorge is a bit useless, i see aliens run to hive, even if i say here i heal you...
    but the most of the time, we haven't a alien commander, nobody want play it, except me ^^
    i can not understand why the gorge can't build, i mean the marines CAN.
    For example:

Commander build a RT at west corridor, marine goes there and build the rt.
    Aliens can't do that!
    but they could if it would be allowed for gorges to build a rt or why not a whip?
    Maybe let a whip cost 15 res.
    Anyway i found this in the gorge lua file:
    HarvesterAbility.lua
    so it looks like IT IS planed that the gorge can build RTs but the code isn't done.
    lets wait for final in Q4. 2011
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Although I agree the topic is a little bit unnecessary, at least this is a legitimate concern that has been brought on as a discussion instead of "guys post about the sadness of ns2 and why it sucks". So to lead the topic in the right direction here's what I feel:

Gorge implementation is not finished. It has been speculated (but I'm pretty sure planned) to help with the DI expansion as well as possibly building other structures too? I'm not sure but I don't mind the idea of two builder classes that have their own separate sets of structures. Building as a gorge has always been fun and is even more so now with the way the gorge barfs up the structure so 1 more structure other than hydras will be greatly appreciated by everyone (unless it overloads the server harhar).

Now after writing all that I more feel like this thread isn't needed. Gorge is unfinished and the direction its going is for the better so why debate its incomplete state?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The alien team doesn't need two builders. The Gorge is a combat support class now. Healing is a start, maybe it should be better than it was in NS1, and obviously the Gorge needs more abilities. Like, say, bile bomb.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    In a sense, the gorge is kinda like, the TF2 medic and engineer combined.