Hand grenades?

louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
From ns1 these were able to be researched right away at the start of the game and when you spawned you carried two.

i think in ns2 if this was ever to be made it should cost plasma and it shall be replenished by purchasing a new pack at the armory again for plasma.

These hand throw grenades would be just the same as a grenade launcher shot and have the same physics and damage and area of effect, and possibly the same visual effects.

These hand thrown grenades would come in a pack of two and would be relatively cheap and set to a cost respectively so players cannot just keep buying them and spamming them if an armory was built near a enemy hive.

Well what you guys think?

Comments

• Pat (GER)Pat (GER) Join Date: 2010-12-13 Member: 75646Members
    edited December 2010
    if its the same effect as launcher it is useless

maybe granades that eletricify nearby aliens and structures (like a group of hydras )or something would be nice .
  • DeTeNaDeTeNa Join Date: 2010-12-18 Member: 75751Members
    i think thats a good idea some grenades would be nice....perhaps instead of the grenade launcher because it sucks
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1817370:date=Dec 20 2010, 12:01 AM:name=DeTeNa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeTeNa @ Dec 20 2010, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1817370"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think thats a good idea some grenades would be nice....perhaps instead of the grenade launcher because it sucks<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, the grenadelauncher is still good, you're just using it wrong.

And i dont know about being able to buy more grenades. Becaues if your team has an armory build next to a hive, chances are you will have alot of personal res to spend.
    And that means you can spam grenades while still rocking a flamethrower.. And thats just too much firepower for ONE marine to have.

Tho being able to spawn with 2 of them i could agree with, because nobody would want to die just to get more grenades.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The hand nades in NS1 were pretty underwhelming (you got one per life/spawn). Maybe if you can get another at an armory station they are worth bringing back.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1817434:date=Dec 19 2010, 11:50 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Dec 19 2010, 11:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1817434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, the grenadelauncher is still good, you're just using it wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What is the "right" way to use the grenadelauncher? And does it involve spamming all of your ammo at a single target to account for the horrendous nerf, and then being forced to run back to marine start, or wherever the nearest armory is, to get a handful of shots to repeat the process?

1. The grenade-detonation-delay is extremely long which makes it impractical as a weapon.
    2. The grenade itself is highly visible to the enemy [note the glowing blue ring] which helps them to evade the gls splash-damage with confidence and time to spare.
    3. The gl has incredibly limited ammo which makes its use <u>very</u> short lived (we already have hatchets for free that do better damage and don't need ammo).
    4. It has a very long reload time.
    5. It sucks against killing structures (not like you can take out a whip or rt with 1 shot or the splash damage from 1 shot... and even if you could, you'll probably miss more shots then hit).
    6. The grenades have a high probability of ricocheting off some geometry and bouncing back to kill/wound the marine or at the very least land somewhere far off target.
    7. The addition of the siege tank will make the gl 100% <u><b>worthless</b></u> (largely due to the nerfs that significantly reduce the odds of killing anything).

It would seem the grenade launcher could safely be removed from the game, or rather its current form makes it a res-sink and hazard to the operator. The original "overpowered" detonation-on-impact ns2 gl is closer to what the marine team should have (the slow reload and limited ammo were there to balance detonation-on-impact, and are overly-nerfing the new delay ###### we currently are stuck with. Look at the NS1 gl to see what is wrong and missing from the ns2 launcher [here's a hint... 30 rounds and a fast rate of fire :P]).
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    The less grenades the better.. don't need some spam fest
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    I didn't like NS1 grenades. They dealt AOE damage and one shotted skulks. Terrible idea... especially for a quick research time and 10 resources global upgrade which doesn't impact equipment choices whatsoever.

Power creep I guess?

Anyway, grenades as a concept are pretty cool. Smoke grenades and fragmentation grenades would be cool. Flash bangs... I personally don't like. Change the frag grenades somehow from their NS1 version and I might like them.
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    i have a great idea, guys tell me if you like it and comment about it, if you do then i will go into more detail of it:

Electric shock grenades (ESG's)

these can be researched at the start of the game with a command station. These will cost a tiny bit less than shotguns, this is expensive and very very useful when used. Not to be spammed as

:A they dont stack if you threw them one after the ther

:B they dont hurt, they just disable and slow.

After researched everytime you go to the armory you can spend plasma to purchase ONE ESG. when the ESG is thrown it explodes after a few seconds OR it explodes on impact, on impact it will deal 25 damage and shock any life form entities beside the blast radius where it electricutes them all. When this shocks, depending on the life form it will cause an effect to that alien:

The ESG will have a really cool visual and have a really cool visual on the alien if they were to get hit by this grenade, their vision might become blurred for half a second ETC with perhaps some shocking effects.

SIMPLE LIFE FORMS:

Drifters: the drifter stops it's action and completely cannot move for 5 seconds, after that it can slowly pick up it's speed and get back to work for 3 seconds, bringing a total of 8 seconds of being effected.

(different)

skulks: can barely move for 1.5 seconds... then slowly you regain your speed in a total of 3 seconds later (total 4.5 seconds of an ESG effect) during the 1.5 seconds where the alien is stunned and immobile (nearly unable to move) it cannot attack but it can still switch weapons and look around. it wont be able to use flash light and ETC. In the three seconds later you can do whatever you want as usual but your speed+attack speed is slowed down.movement speed and attack speed will be at aproximately 50%

(same)

lerks: can barely move for 1.5 seconds... then slowly you regain your speed in a total of 3 seconds later (total 4.5 seconds of an ESG effect) during the 1.5 seconds where the alien is stunned and immobile (nearly unable to move) it cannot attack but it can still switch weapons and look around. it wont be able to use flash light and ETC. In the three seconds later you can do whatever you want as usual but your speed+attack speed is slowed down.movement speed and attack speed will be at aproximately 50%

(same)

gorge: can barely move for 1.5 seconds... then slowly you regain your speed in a total of 3 seconds later (total 4.5 seconds of an ESG effect) during the 1.5 seconds where the alien is stunned and immobile (nearly unable to move) it cannot attack but it can still switch weapons and look around. it wont be able to use flash light and ETC. In the three seconds later you can do whatever you want as usual but your speed+attack speed is slowed down. movement speed and attack speed will be at aproximately 50%

ADVANCED LIFE FORMS:

(a bit different)

fade: the fade cannot blink, it cannot attack but it can walk, it can move fairly slowly but cannot do anything else. When affected by the ESG it will be disabled for 1.5 seconds . there will be no 3 second period after the first 1.5 second duration of disable. you can do whatever you want after the ESG has disabled you for 1.5 seconds. the 3 seconds after the 1.5 seconds disable your attack speed and movement speed is reduced to 50%.

(different)

Onos: the onos is slowed down, his attack speed and movement speed is broken down to 50% of its usual rate and this effect lasts for 2.5 seconds.

-all aliens will have a visual electric effect on them to signify their weakened state.

-This does exactly hurt the alien (only deals 25 damage) but it is meant to disable the alien,

-This deals NO damage and has NO effect on buildings or DI or andthing else.

-This is a thrown grenade... so yes it has it's purpose of bouncing off walls and reaching hard areas like vents and impacting aliens to disable them.

WAIT A MINUTE HERE ISNT THIS UNFAIR IF THE WHOLE TEAM STACKS THEM?

-if a alien is affected by a ESG it cannot be affected for another 10 seconds... but the 25 damage from the grenade still happens... but no effect unless time has passed.

IF I GO TO A ARMORY CAN I JUST SPAM THESE BABIES AND DISABLE THE ALIENS FOREVER?

-no because this costs plasma and guess what its at a pretty high price for its extremely high usefullness so if you even had the plasma to spam it, it probably wont happen because if you really had THAT much plasma you already won the game= therefore you should deserve being cheap and dominating the alien team.

well what do you think?
  • elmo33elmo33 Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68377Members
    Personally I would like to see the grenades return, they were very usefull for clearing vents before you got an AA up and could get GL for the job. I think the damage was fine, they sure one hit a skulk, but that required the grenade to actually physically hit them, which was easy enough to avoid as a skulk because of the very distinctive cocking and throwing sounds. Not to mention good old tactic of throwing the grenades as you phase to a gate that is being chewed by bunch of skulks, tho sadly PG probably isnt going to make its way in to NS2.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    I was never particularly fond of the NS1 grenade, it didn't do much against anything except skulks and making it stronger for NS2 would not be any good. It acted merely as a cheap way to clear a skulk from a vent or cleverly hidden behind an RT without going near. I loved how you could position yourself as skulk on buildings so marines had to come up close or circle around to get you.

The only kind of new grenade I can think of would be flares used in dark places/no power areas. Which could additionally act as targeting beacon for upcoming siegeguns or similar.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    IMO, keep the single-shot GL attachment (which effectively is the same as a hand grenade), but add a separate GL weapon. This means you can have a rifle+ single shot grenades, a flamethrower, a shotgun, or a multiple-shot grenade launcher. Somehow I think the shotgun also needs a GL attachment though.
    The role of a distinct GL (to decimate structures) might already be taken by the flamethrower though.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1817453:date=Dec 20 2010, 06:51 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Dec 20 2010, 06:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1817453"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is the "right" way to use the grenadelauncher? And does it involve spamming all of your ammo at a single target to account for the horrendous nerf, and then being forced to run back to marine start, or wherever the nearest armory is, to get a handful of shots to repeat the process?

1. The grenade-detonation-delay is extremely long which makes it impractical as a weapon.
    2. The grenade itself is highly visible to the enemy [note the glowing blue ring] which helps them to evade the gls splash-damage with confidence and time to spare.
    3. The gl has incredibly limited ammo which makes its use <u>very</u> short lived (we already have hatchets for free that do better damage and don't need ammo).
    4. It has a very long reload time.
    5. It sucks against killing structures (not like you can take out a whip or rt with 1 shot or the splash damage from 1 shot... and even if you could, you'll probably miss more shots then hit).
    6. The grenades have a high probability of ricocheting off some geometry and bouncing back to kill/wound the marine or at the very least land somewhere far off target.
    7. The addition of the siege tank will make the gl 100% <u><b>worthless</b></u> (largely due to the nerfs that significantly reduce the odds of killing anything).

It would seem the grenade launcher could safely be removed from the game, or rather its current form makes it a res-sink and hazard to the operator. The original "overpowered" detonation-on-impact ns2 gl is closer to what the marine team should have (the slow reload and limited ammo were there to balance detonation-on-impact, and are overly-nerfing the new delay ###### we currently are stuck with. Look at the NS1 gl to see what is wrong and missing from the ns2 launcher [here's a hint... 30 rounds and a fast rate of fire :P]).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The GL is decent vs structures, not vs players. This is actually good since there need to be tradeoffs, you cant just have bigger levels of awesomeness to each and every weapon, they need a defined purpose.

The GL has that, its perfect for clearing out whips/hydras/crags from around a corner (which otherwise are incredibly annoying), its great for taking out a hive since they kill the eggs aswell AND you can stay at a decent range, its perfect for clearing vents since the nade WILL hit just about anything hiding in those narrow spaces.

And if you meet a player out in the open it gets completely useless - which is where the tradeoff enters - because you can still use the lmg (which will be terribad considering you will probably be up against fades by then). So you will need backup to survive.

The problem with having GL as a separate weapon is that you only have the pistol to use as a reliable weapon, which is even worse. Atleast now the game is a little bit forgiving.

(And regarding the ARC, i assume that piece of equipment will cost a whole lot more, and need more researching than the GL. And saying the GL is obsolete because of the ARC is like saying a bazooka is obsolete because nuclear missiles exist.)
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    It's not even decent vs structures. You must be playing a different build to the one I have.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1817460:date=Dec 19 2010, 11:31 PM:name=yourbonesakin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yourbonesakin @ Dec 19 2010, 11:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1817460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I didn't like NS1 grenades. They dealt AOE damage and one shotted skulks. Terrible idea... especially for a quick research time and 10 resources global upgrade which doesn't impact equipment choices whatsoever.

Power creep I guess?

Anyway, grenades as a concept are pretty cool. Smoke grenades and fragmentation grenades would be cool. Flash bangs... I personally don't like. Change the frag grenades somehow from their NS1 version and I might like them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

skulks are the weakest class, and they still didnt kill a skulk unless you had previously shot it or threw it right into its face. and besides, after about 3 minutes the nade becomes almost completely useless. thats why it became funny when someone got a nade kill (tampon kill).
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    ^ thats not true. one hand nade can kill skulk easily. in fact, thats one of the reasons I hated it so much because I can have full health, one hand nade into the vent and I'm dead. You might live if you moved away fast enough where it only hurt you a bit, but if you got hit in the face - you're dead.

Rather then having hand nades that do damage, think about having more defensive hand nades.

1. blind
    2.smoke
    3.sticky liquid

more ideas can be thought of.
    edited December 2010
    you added a reply about a nade with sticky liquid, please read my post above where i did a idea on the ESG (electric shock grenade)

post #9
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    I didn't see that post, sorry. Yeah we kind of had same idea. I had chance to read over your idea, and we do have some ideas in common. I just added something bit different.

i'm not really fan of anything that stops the player, but slowing him down is always good.
    The reason I said sticky liquid, once it thrown into an area it just creates small pool, any movement through it will slow the player down.
    Running through through is out of the question and if lerk would land on it, he will have hard time flying away - his flying speed reduced.

This liquid pool would only be active for maybe 10-15 seconds but the period it lasts can be changed.
    this one sticky nade can stop group of aliens if they all ran through this little pool, so it will have greater impact.
  • SafetyHelmetSafetyHelmet Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75298Members, Constellation
    Just putting in my vote for some kind of tactical grenade - flash, disorient, gas, smoke, shock, whatever. Something that you really can't spam but can save your hide for the moment when properly used.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    If grenades got changed to be a more specialized tool, why not make them fit the NS World? Simple Example: Nanite Grenades.

Basically, when they go boom they burst a cloud of nanites. This would allow for any kind of effect desired (isn't techno-babble wonderful). Smoke, EMP, Fire, whatever, no problem because we've got nanites!
    why dont we just have a grenade that disables or add an effect to the affected only... its not like anything hand thrown can kill something easily unless it would be a skulk.

these would prove EXTREMELY useful against perhaps a group of aliens or possibly an onos.

i think nades that disable would be cherished more than nades that just deal a little punch of damage that become useless later on in the game because you have better weapons like grenade launcher.

but if we have a grenade that disables... for example a ESG which i suggested on post #9 it proves usefull for the entire game and it would be used often as bought from the armory.

whos in?