How to implement tutorials

JimBob_UKJimBob_UK Join Date: 2010-04-09 Member: 71233Members
<div class="IPBDescription">why not make use of the ready rooms</div>So i see alot of discusion on how confusing it is for new players and thaughts on how players might learn to play. Tutorials i think we can all come to a decision are a must, but how to implement them. Would it put people off if they were forced to play offline and complete training. (think americans army back in the day).

It got me thinking how training could be implemented for those that need it but not force players into doing it. Could we use the ready rooms in some way. Not really thaught it through enough but mayby this post could spark some ideas of in some creative minds. I could be as simple as posters of marine structures with descriptions etc.

Obviously things like rifle ranges would be overdoing it and would probably distract players joining a game. (unless they were forced.)

I apologise if this seems a silly idea. Its late and this idea just popped into me head. Thought id share it with the community to see if any good ideas come of it.

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Would rather see a 'tutorial computer' that players can use in each readyroom to get a narrated overview of the map and an introduction to marine/alien gameplay. A couple of players could stay and watch if they wanted.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I prefer the singleplayer tutorial map. That's pretty standard for most fps or rts games. In particular, ones that give specific commands (e.g. purchase a shotgun from the armory, build a second cs, etc.) are the most informative in my experience.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1816699:date=Dec 17 2010, 08:29 AM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Dec 17 2010, 08:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would rather see a 'tutorial computer' that players can use in each readyroom to get a narrated overview of the map and an introduction to marine/alien gameplay. A couple of players could stay and watch if they wanted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No thank you, i'd rather see them playing a singleplayer game, than hogging a spot in a MP game, making games uneven for the rest of the players.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    Some posters could be good in the "official" UWE maps. They probably couldn't explain everything, but whatever helps is good. A level map would be certainly be useful since part of the learning curve is learning maps (and the picture should say "Press c in-game to access this map!").

Whatever it is, it should direct players to single player tutorials for more direction.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1816694:date=Dec 17 2010, 08:53 AM:name=JimBob_UK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JimBob_UK @ Dec 17 2010, 08:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816694"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So i see alot of discusion on how confusing it is for new players and thaughts on how players might learn to play. Tutorials i think we can all come to a decision are a must, but how to implement them. Would it put people off if they were forced to play offline and complete training. (think americans army back in the day).

It got me thinking how training could be implemented for those that need it but not force players into doing it. Could we use the ready rooms in some way. Not really thaught it through enough but mayby this post could spark some ideas of in some creative minds. I could be as simple as posters of marine structures with descriptions etc.

Obviously things like rifle ranges would be overdoing it and would probably distract players joining a game. (unless they were forced.)

I apologise if this seems a silly idea. Its late and this idea just popped into me head. Thought id share it with the community to see if any good ideas come of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    no because people stay in ready room and take a server slot, sorry but this idea is totaly ....not good
    I would like tutorials while the map is loading like :

"to build defence, morph by pressing "b" to the gorge, then you can build hydras which cost "10" plasma."
    and after 5-7 seconds next one comes or you see your mouse and you can click through the hints with <- "bla bla" ->