One thing that is bothering me about turrets/hydras

VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
edited December 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
Why cant turrets shoot upwards at angles? If a gorge got into marine start and placed hydras on the ceiling would that render turrets useless? Also, a skulk on a ceiling could potentially get by turrents unscathed. could a jetpack fly over hydras if placed on the ground without taking hits as well?

Comments

• MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    If I remember correctly, Turrets used to be able to shot 360 degrees in NS1. Not sure why they limited them in NS2?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1816443:date=Dec 16 2010, 04:32 PM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Dec 16 2010, 04:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816443"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I remember correctly, Turrets used to be able to shot 360 degrees in NS1. Not sure why they limited them in NS2?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The idea was they should be more powerful, but directional.

If you get behind them, you can kill them as any class, but from the front they are quite a good deterrant.

It's more interesting than the NS1 method which basically forces all aliens to tank damage from them.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    Also the radius is way too small. Ive commed games where a lerk stood about 5 ft from the turret (just outside its range) and just sniped away at it. now I understand why they took away its ability to aim 360 but the radius is wayyyyyy too small currently. i mean the lerk was close enough to spit on the turrent ffs. if you want to see how rediculously small the range is click on the turret as com.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1816437:date=Dec 16 2010, 11:20 AM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Dec 16 2010, 11:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816437"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why cant turrets shoot upwards at angles? If a gorge got into marine start and placed hydras on the ceiling would that render turrets useless? Also, a skulk on a ceiling could potentially get by turrents unscathed. could a jetpack fly over hydras if placed on the ground without taking hits as well?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

agreed, they should be able to shoot up and down. and increase their cone of fire a little more.
  • GrapeVineGrapeVine Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58803Members
    Probably something they forgot to implement, but I think the turret angle restrictions are still dumb, the NS1 turret was perfect.
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1816460:date=Dec 16 2010, 05:37 PM:name=GrapeVine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GrapeVine @ Dec 16 2010, 05:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Probably something they forgot to implement, but I think the turret angle restrictions are still dumb, the NS1 turret was perfect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Neg, the NS1 turret was a boring, weak, set it and forget it weapon. The new NS2 turret lends itself much more to the decision making process and strategy. They just need to tweak it to make it stronger, and fix the cone of fire.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The real weakness alongside the single direction is the spinup, fast aliens can simply evade it :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1816476:date=Dec 16 2010, 11:31 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 16 2010, 11:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816476"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The real weakness alongside the single direction is the spinup, fast aliens can simply evade it :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol this too, even gorges can just run around in the gunfire
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Turrets should be able too attack elevated enemies, but imho not enemies standing atop the turret.

because alot of comms place the turrets in cornes, which almost nullifies the entire weaknes of the design.

The only way to take down those turrets are to climb atop them (and then you're really vulnerable to marines, since you cant hide anywhere.
    <!--quoteo(post=1816524:date=Dec 16 2010, 01:49 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Dec 16 2010, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816524"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Turrets should be able too attack elevated enemies, but imho not enemies standing atop the turret.

because alot of comms place the turrets in cornes, which almost nullifies the entire weaknes of the design.

The only way to take down those turrets are to climb atop them (and then you're really vulnerable to marines, since you cant hide anywhere.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yea but thats the entire design, you place it in a corner to avoid the weaknesses of the turret. it doesnt make sense that you can stand on the turret and kill it. aliens should need to coordinate to kill well placed turrets. right now its more akin to a glitch.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited December 2010
    How about a way for the commander to set the pitch of a turret also. This way with about 9 turrets you could approximate the coverage of 1 ns1 turret xD

Also turrets really could use a short range sphere of pain like from an electrical zapper. This way 1 skulk will fail to take out 1 turret, even if he approached from the rear (as is common with skulks).
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    I'm no fan of turrets or hydras in both in NS/2. Neither work or have a real place in the game at the moment, this kinda "automated" defence detracts from the game if it is too easy to obtain or is too ineffective. Finding a good balance where it makes players either entry either less effecient (losing HP) or slightly hindering movement (have to take it down).

However if the game becomes clearing your way out of structure spam (which it is on marine side) it becomes real boring and fast.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    There is still that lovely Y axis bug btw, if a turret/hydra/whip is located on an elevation it can't shoot down to the lower level, well it can but it probably wont detect the enemy...
    <!--quoteo(post=1816583:date=Dec 16 2010, 04:57 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 16 2010, 04:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816583"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is still that lovely Y axis bug btw, if a turret/hydra/whip is located on an elevation it can't shoot down to the lower level, well it can but it probably wont detect the enemy...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ah, i guess its the same thing then, maybe theyll correct this
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    You guys need to check the progress page. They are decreasing turret spin up time in the next patch.

As for it's Range and Field of View. I'd say both need to be increased. 180 degree view and add on a couple more yards to the radius.

And yes they should be able to shoot up but not at a 90 degree angel. Maybe something like 65 degrees.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    Anyone who thinks turrets or base defence should not be in the game are simply... wrong. Currently as marines you are punished horribly for expanding into the map, because you spread your lines and can't defend everywhere at once. This is a good thing, but also makes for longer games and stalemates that can get boring.

The alien set up is fine - hydras can be dropped on front lines (when finally things get fixed up better) and crags and whips behind them if needs be. We just need a decent weapon to take them down quickly. Like more powerful weapons it should have high positives (damage, range), high negatives (movement, requires team cover) for balance.

Sentries - Should be about raw strength and power in one direction, and incredibly weak in the rear, so aliens can take advantage of vents and level geometry. Therefore the skulk becomes useful throughout the game.

This would actually make for less spam, because cost or limit could be implemented to warrant that power. They would be better for sealing corridors rather than rooms as well imo. It would just play up to increasing the vent count as well, and forcing skulks to do what they should be doing. No bad thing. Remember that aliens thrive on being able to cover the map quickly, so shutting down the direct routes for them and forcing (in some cases maybe) a route that takes 3x as long is the advantage given.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the new turrets could be interesting with the right balance tweaks to damage/spinup/cone of fire, but map designers will have to be careful not to have any areas that are too abusable. Any longish hallway can be very easily locked down by a turret in a corner. Conversely, there are a lot of rooms that are too cramped or complex for the new turrets to be useful at all. The old turrets were pretty flexible and equally useful almost anywhere. Maybe as a compromise the damage should be not too crazy but cover a 180 degree arc?
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    I think something like 120 would be better, rather than 180 which i think detracts a bit from the whole point. 90deg is just way too narrow and makes them virtually useless unless you have perfect placement. I half the time when I comm I find myself micromanaging turrets more than anything else.
    90 degrees would not be too narrow if they were more powerful. What is wrong with requiring 2 to block a hallway, but which requires aliens to skirt round in vents to attack them from behind? Most can run behind them from the front now anyway, so they become pretty much useless unless you spam a room with at least 4, and even then they are very bad if a Lerk gets into the right place.

It is either using them to create a front line / temporary blockage, or spamming 4 of them in each room you are in. I know which I would rather have.

Otherwise I am afraid they will just become insignificant, and not used as an 'area control' tool for marines, especially in pro play.

I would actually like to see them as more temporary solution. They would be better used like Alien Swarm - more effective but less of them. If you haven't played Alien Swarm before, below is a vid. Though usually you have maybe 2 sentries at any one time.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd3XLTHuGXk&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd3XLTHuGXk...feature=related</a>
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    What about making turrets a purchaseable item, taking up a weapon slot of a marine, so he has to be covered by his squadmates when he brings it into position.
    You could make it stronger, and use assault rifle ammo, so marines would have to reload it. The high rate of fire would munch rifle ammo like popcorn, but sustained alien attacks could drain it. Lerks could spore the area so reloading the turrets would be harder or impossible.
    edited December 2010
    I think that would overcomplicate their use, it could be worth a try, but I think they are fine as is. They just need to be more powerful imo.

You just have to offset numbers/damage with cost, or area limit. I think two together should block a path... on average maybe seeing 8 in total on a high point in the game for marines. 2 for each tech point, and another 2 for a major corridor or something.

I have a bad feeling about the implementation of the turret power packs. Not only do you have to knock out the power node, but also these packs. This means that for sake of balance, they will be made weaker in damage or stay as is. I really don't want to see the turret farms like you did in NS1... they looked messy, got in the way and it was public play spam.

I would rather see them as a dynamic tool for holding an area. Pushing near to the hive early game perhaps, and setting up a tech node near by. Or just securing dead ends where armouries are located for marines behind enemy lines. Perhaps only a Fade can get past at a shot... but once behind, game over. The recent video just looks odd with 3 turrets set up with fade casually walking around them with massive chain guns on them - for the sake of artistic license as well.

It would definitely make for some more interesting plays.

I think in pro games they won't get used again, because it is more efficient to gain later tech than spend on area management that effectively does not get you anywhere. they just play out the same role over and over - secure tech node, build usual buildings, add some sentries when you have money.

This is what is happening even now in servers, the good commanders just go for tech.

I really like the idea that - on tram say - you could to the entrance on central hub, drop a couple quickly - and really upset the aliens moving through that area. Forcing them to deal with the turrets, which gives you time to move safely in that area.

It would be nice to just see how this was for a while by just changing cost and damage. I really would like to see how it plays out. Considering rooms are not simple boxes that are easy to cover, I can't see how two would effectively block off aliens completely anyway. Even if they were more powerful.

I just think it looks weird and sort of makes them a little pointless, when aliens can take the piss with them and jump them and start taking you on as well. I don't want to see them being the ultimate alien death tool, just more than the 'deterrent' they are currently.
    <!--quoteo(post=1816793:date=Dec 17 2010, 02:00 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Dec 17 2010, 02:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816793"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->90 degrees would not be too narrow if they were more powerful. What is wrong with requiring 2 to block a hallway, but which requires aliens to skirt round in vents to attack them from behind? Most can run behind them from the front now anyway, so they become pretty much useless unless you spam a room with at least 4, and even then they are very bad if a Lerk gets into the right place.

It is either using them to create a front line / temporary blockage, or spamming 4 of them in each room you are in. I know which I would rather have.

Otherwise I am afraid they will just become insignificant, and not used as an 'area control' tool for marines, especially in pro play.

I would actually like to see them as more temporary solution. They would be better used like Alien Swarm - more effective but less of them. If you haven't played Alien Swarm before, below is a vid. Though usually you have maybe 2 sentries at any one time.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd3XLTHuGXk&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd3XLTHuGXk...feature=related</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

they were never a permanent solution, I use them for early ground control/general harassment. and honestly thats all I want turrets to be able to do. I just want the damn things to be able to shoot upwards at an angle and have a bit more range because the current range is so useless. by the time a skulk gets in range hes half a second from being behind it which forces you to place 4 in a room. currenly aliens are completely safe 2 feet away if they are at a particular angle because the turret cant see it.
    edited December 2010
    I wouldn't want them to be a permanent solution... but I think they would work better as a proper dynamic if they actually did there job, and there were less of them.

Hell, reduce the FOV to 60 - as long as they actually make me feel safe when I am behind one. Or I can shut down a vital crossroads for the aliens for a while. Just so I can take hold of an area, or run to it without having to worry too much about being attacked from the front.

Seriously.. what is the difference between using 2 great sentries to cover directional movement that get used in competitive play. Compared to having to spam 7 at every tech point / res node.

At least you would think more about where your could place them to form a fairly good protective line across the map, or use them to push a route through the map. It still wouldn't stop the aliens from getting behind them. At the moment they just suck on the barrels from the front whilst the heavy chain gun pumps out tasty marsh mellows or something.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited December 2010
    I still think much more powerful, highly directional, and limited to two per CC (say processing limitations mean you need more CCs to control more sentries) would be best.

That way you can use the two sentries afforded you per base in other to either cover a large portion of that base, or to block off a corridor from lesser lifeforms.

However, as most bases will have more than one exit, you would be hard pressed to stonewall the aliens entirely, and if you did any breach would be largely undefended once you break the frontline.

Hard caps are very useful because making things powerful but limited is often a good way to balance them. Balance by cost however has the problem of making them potentially wasteful. Better to make it always good to have them, but make them unable to be used everywhere.

The aliens would always have a hard counter against them in the form of bone shielding onoses, so turtling shouldn't be a problem, but both sides do seem to be emphasising map control in NS2, what with the door locks and directional turrets and power nodes and DI and whatnot.
    Can't argue with that, sounds great. I love the alien buildings now, they really feel like they have purpose. The Whip is brilliant, the crag as well... will be interesting to see the shift. Then all the abilities that come with upgrades.

I just hope sentries make an improve transition as well.