Allow the use of multiple languages

eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
edited December 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">To attract more player</div>This idea might be already suggested somewhere but I couldn't find it so I made this new topic.

It doesn't seems that you've made Natural selection 2 foreigner languages friendly but even if it might add some time to the development I think that you should add a way for us the player to translate the game.
Why ?
Because it will occupy us will you improve the game :), no the real reason is that most of the games that are not translated don' t get out from english speaking countries.
So would you mind add a way for us to translate the game ?? It will give you a little bit more work but it will sure attract more players and all translation will be community made !!!

I can help for french and spanish.

[edit] I've created a Get statisfaction topic so we can vote for it and maybe devs check it more often. <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/allow_the_use_of_multiple_languages" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t...tiple_languages</a>

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2010
    Here ya go :P

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/FAQ#What_languages_will_NS2_support.3F" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde..._NS2_support.3F</a>
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    There's an NS2 Chinese community who were going to translate it into Chinese....I dont know the status of that right now.
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813496:date=Dec 5 2010, 05:38 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 5 2010, 05:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here ya go :P

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/FAQ#What_languages_will_NS2_support.3F" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde..._NS2_support.3F</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok thanks, but they could ask us already to do it.

@peregrinus Translate it is something but having the translation in the game is an other and without a way made by the dev it will be complicated
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Im abit sceptical, NS* is a communication-heavy game and if people arnt speaking the same language within the team, they will suffer..

Sure, if you host language-specific servers it might work.. given there'se always enough players to fill those servers.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813864:date=Dec 6 2010, 03:14 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Dec 6 2010, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im abit sceptical, NS* is a communication-heavy game and if people arnt speaking the same language within the team, they will suffer..

Sure, if you host language-specific servers it might work.. given there'se always enough players to fill those servers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To a point, but you don't need to know english to recognise that when a player is looking at you and says something with the word 'weld' in it he means 'heal my armor' or that when the commander gives you a move order you should go there, kill aliens, build structures and generally be helpful.

You can be an asset to the team without saying or understanding much of the language.
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    Most of the com order are included in the game so it's not a issue but then they could add an option to the client and server that allow you to choose only the languages that you want.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1813877:date=Dec 6 2010, 04:43 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 6 2010, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To a point, but you don't need to know english to recognise that when a player is looking at you and says something with the word 'weld' in it he means 'heal my armor' or that when the commander gives you a move order you should go there, kill aliens, build structures and generally be helpful.

You can be an asset to the team without saying or understanding much of the language.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Unless they speak completely in their own language... Observe that "weld" example of your if I were to Dutchify it completely

"Zou je mijn bepantsering kunnen repareren?"

Or something along the lines of "follow me to the resource nozzle":

"Volg mij maar naar de voorraad pijp"

Oh god those sound lame though and are rather extreme examples. No sane Dutchy would use it like that, but the "what if they use their language 100%" is in there somewhere though...
  • TunisTunis Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73242Members
    hello guys i find this post when i search about the translation of the game :)

and i same as the author of this trhead for a translation :)

Most of the com order are included in the game so it's not a issue but then they could add an option to the client and server that allow you to choose only the languages that you want.

hum dont understand right you surely but you know that you can use a file for all the text they are in the game like mount & blade? they are one txt file with all the text of the game, and for translate you juste need to translate this file and in the option choose the language file you want ( i think juste a function for list all the file in the language folder can be use for a basic option :p )

the community have translate mount & blade in many language , and that let mod be translate easly too :)

yes i know this is a very bad up :p

but someone can tell us when the translation will be on the work? when the game final release will come or in the beta state?
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    edited December 2010
    given non english interest in this game is 40% of the recorded interest, and UWE really need to get onto the steam best sellers list for some hype, imo they are mad not to do this before steam launch.

im sure thats the plan anyway though
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2010
    Definitely something for post-1.0 (so, after the first initial release). You could probably get a head-start and translate it yourself, for your language(s). Just make a list beside a list, translate menu items, game terms (where necessary) and tool-tips. Specify the language, and make an entry in the NS2wiki - which will be made known to the developers. Take the initiative. :)

Hell, I mean, all of the game is in (open) LUA right? Just change the appropriate images and textstrings and you could actually have a translated game yourself - the code's all there. The only problem is that'd be static and you'd effectively have a different version of the game.

The devs (or talented modders) would then of course have to create the infrastructure for multiple languages (i.e. switching between different languages, which would entail switching images and text strings for the appropriate language) - I'd have expected that the infrastructure would already be in place (with of course just the single language option of English), because changing it afterwards is going to be some programming acrobatics. Setting up the infrastructure is important, and does require foresight - multiple languages I'd have thought would have been one of those initial features. Unless: you just package multiple versions of the client code (is that the standard procedure?) with the game, with the appropriate words changed for different languages.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1819973:date=Dec 29 2010, 08:16 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Dec 29 2010, 08:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819973"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unless: you just package multiple versions of the client code (is that the standard procedure?) with the game, with the appropriate words changed for different languages.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is definitely not the standard procedure. :D

Flayra said this was something they want to add later.
    I still think it would have been a good idea to integrate multi-language support from the start. Moving all the hardcoded strings into a separate file is going to be a nightmare and will probably take longer than actually writing the localization facility.
    Oh well, starting a translation now is too early anyway, too many placeholder texts.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1820206:date=Dec 30 2010, 01:02 PM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Dec 30 2010, 01:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820206"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still think it would have been a good idea to integrate multi-language support from the start. Moving all the hardcoded strings into a separate file is going to be a nightmare and will probably take longer than actually writing the localization facility.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Exactly this. That's something they should have thought about initially. Can't change the past, but they should still do this sooner rather than later. I think that the later you leave it, the bigger a job it will be to change, because there's going to be an even larger number of hardcoded strings and an even larger code in which to try to find these strings.

<!--quoteo(post=1820206:date=Dec 30 2010, 01:02 PM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Dec 30 2010, 01:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820206"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh well, starting a translation now is too early anyway, <b>too many placeholder texts.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Good point, actually.