Gorge Idea

thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
edited November 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">idea for giving the gorge purpose in ns2</div>(copied form another post)

Just an idea: gorges need to be like Paladin from diablo 2, having a set of auras, and when a gorge is around(say within 30-40 meters) alien players get this aura from the gorge and they either get a bonus to their damage, extra health, or increased speed(gorge only gets 1 aura at a time/life and each gorge gets to pick what kinda aura they want, aura's would not be stackable and whichever aura was in a room first that aura would be the one everyone gets). This would kind of restore the feeling gorges used to have, of helping the greater good and not just spending resources on going fade all the time) This ability could go through walls etc, making the idea of hiding gorges in vents again part of the game. I can just see now, someone yelling hey we need a gorge in this vent with the extra damage aura so we can destroy this tech point. Marines would start to know which vents gorges hide in, and send teams to clear out those vents etc....

Not to mention this gives real reason to the gorge other than just making hydras, and people could actually be "Good" at being a gorge, skills like staying alive a long time and hiding quietly(similar to the skills needed to play gorge in ns1)or showing up in the middle of a battle with a +hp aura that saves everyone, and you could also be a "Bad" gorge ie having the wrong aura for the situation or dying too often and people laughing at you.

just an idea, Flame on....

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Auras? In my Natural Selection?
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    I do like this idea, though it could maybe interfere with the building abilities.

Wonder what Primal Scream switched to Gorge would do?
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    brb loading up my lvl 98 hammergorge
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810133:date=Nov 25 2010, 02:12 AM:name=whoppaXXL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whoppaXXL @ Nov 25 2010, 02:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810133"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do like this idea, though it could maybe interfere with the building abilities.

Wonder what Primal Scream switched to Gorge would do?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats What I'm getting at, maybe not the +damage aura, but a +health +defense or +speed aura makes sense and fits into the gorges role of "Combat support" It could even be set off by like a sound the gorge makes, they could be called "Calls" or "Screams" and when the gorge activates or makes the certain noise the aura activates for set length of time or whatever. That would let other players around know, hey I Know that sound, im about to be real fast, or real strong etc, or the marines could say, Hey i know that sound, time to gtfo.
  • SkwareSkware Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58125Members
    Bringing back webs and/or Bile Bomb would be fantastic, or adding in sc1-esque towers like sensory for hive sight for example.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    d2 pala used magic, NS is IRL lol
    (atleast that's how i like to believe it is)

chambers are chambers, have been since NS1, but no additional auras, thank you!!
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    Primal scream for gorge, I'd like!
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810154:date=Nov 25 2010, 03:56 AM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Nov 25 2010, 03:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810154"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->d2 pala used magic, NS is IRL lol
    (atleast that's how i like to believe it is)

chambers are chambers, have been since NS1, but no additional auras, thank you!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You mean, D2 was a fantasy-game, as opposed to NS which is a Sci-fi game?
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    This definitely fits in with the gorge and I like it.

I don't like encouraging gorges to sit in vents. That doesn't sound fun, sitting in a vent for five minutes while the skulks do everything. And then getting into another vent to hit another room while the skulks clean up. Sitting in vents should not be the "Role" of the gorge. Everyone will hate it.

It also makes the gorge invulnerable while helping their team. So their auras would have to be weakened to balance. And then we get into a death spiral of balancing and counter-balancing that no one likes. At the end, the aura sucks and gorges are still sitting in vents, but only in certain vents because the range was reduced, etc etc etc.

I'd like auras requiring clear line of effect (so it doesn't work through walls). Gorges would have to stay with battles, and would be high priority targets when both teams fight head on. It sounds awesome. It's a whole 'nother chunk of strategic depth and gives gorges something to do which supports their team.

Gorges should have something additionally to flesh out their role. But building hydras, expanding Dynamic infestation, using auras in battle, plus something else (or multiple things) sounds like a complete lifeform.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    I dont like evil auras
    <!--quoteo(post=1810173:date=Nov 25 2010, 05:38 AM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Nov 25 2010, 05:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810173"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You mean, D2 was a fantasy-game, as opposed to NS which is a Sci-fi game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    in my own way, yes - AURAS DON'T FREAKIN FIT, no way!
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810341:date=Nov 25 2010, 09:10 AM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Nov 25 2010, 09:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810341"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->in my own way, yes - AURAS DON'T FREAKIN FIT, no way!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Every upgrade chamber has an aura, silly. It's just a word.
  • elmo33elmo33 Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68377Members
    Ns1 had it via chambers, and I certainly hope ns2 gorge gets something similiar too.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    edited November 2010
    Maybe be instead of an aura, a benefit could be applied by the heal spray? Keeps the gorge near the front and doing something instead of just clicking an aura on and hiding.

So with a whip up, a "frenzying" spray would be available, with crags an "over healing" spray, etc. have to chose which you're using at any point to best support the guy you're healing. And the effects last say 15 seconds after.
    <!--quoteo(post=1810381:date=Nov 25 2010, 05:45 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Nov 25 2010, 05:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810381"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe be instead of an aura, a benefit could be applied by the heal spray? Keeps the gorge near the front and doing something instead of just clicking an aura on and hiding.

So with a whip up, a "frenzying" spray would be available, with crags an "over healing" spray, etc. have to chose which you're using at any point to best support the guy you're healing. And the effects last say 15 seconds after.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    this actually sounds pretty interesting, and would be a good compromise.
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    edited November 2010
    yeah I like that idea to of making it a spray, but I'd push it one step further and make it like spores, except defensive and it would cover more ground, and be more transparent. So when an alien player is in the "gorge spores" he gets the benefit(maybe increased attack speed or plain old running faster or extra health)So a gorge could have a little range and the effect would only last for say 10-15 seconds? This would increase teamwork, and teamplay, having fades waiting for the gorge to show up etc....