Build 155 bug reporting/feedback

Comments

• rutixrutix Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58208Members
    I don't know if it was a "one-time" bug but i noticed that one MAC didn't want to build anything. I could move him ect. and browse through his menu but when i placed something on the floor nothing appeared and he would just go to the spot and idle there :). I'm gonna try to reproduce it and see what goes wrong.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1806960:date=Nov 19 2010, 02:31 PM:name=rutix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rutix @ Nov 19 2010, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know if it was a "one-time" bug but i noticed that one MAC didn't want to build anything. I could move him ect. and browse through his menu but when i placed something on the floor nothing appeared and he would just go to the spot and idle there :). I'm gonna try to reproduce it and see what goes wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That seems to happen with all builders. If they refuse to build, wiggle them around and tell them to build again. I think it has to do with them having a problem stopping on the build location. If I move them, give the build order again, and let them try to stop on the right spot, it usually works out.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    there's something going on with servers and latency, sometimes when you join while there are other people joining, you get a huge latency spike where everything is delayed by 3-10 seconds, but if you switch teams (i.e. typing j1/j2 in console from rr, or going to the ready room from on a team), it fixes itself.

*edit* also, some other gui elements are subject to the corruption i mentioned in the OP, looks sort of like the borked mac selection circle - ammo counter on guns is messed up until you pull out another weapon. this happens after alt-tab.
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806939:date=Nov 19 2010, 06:06 PM:name=w0dk4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (w0dk4 @ Nov 19 2010, 06:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, <i>just </i>1.9 GB memory for the server, that doesnt look like a memory leak problem at all.

Are you kidding?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I more-so meant what's causing it to crash.

It's blatant that there is a memory leak. But my experience with them is they crash when they run out of addressable memory.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    Alt+Tabbing while starting NS2 breaks the graphics of the background scene and summons the crash report window. (Windows 7 x64)
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Much better build than the last one, its nearly playable...

Joined a server without much issues, it joined... ######ed about connection problems, then I joined the marines , it ######ed about connection problems, I ran around and shot at a few skulks and lerks, it ######ed about connection problems ... then it froze, constantly ###### about connection problems.

The sounds seems to play too long , basically I fire a quick burst ( half a sec ) and the sound plays for 2 seconds, this is actually a new bug for me as I hadnt had this issue in previous builds.
    Hit detection was much better , though the lag made for some nasty teleporting skulks and frustrating deaths.
    FPS was smoother, though I havent boosted the GFX up from medium yet.

The game is definetly showing more promise, and I look forward to some great NS2 action in the future.
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    I didn't get to play much, but I have to say the fade blink is really really awesome. I love how you can see which direction you're facing. It's fun toying with a marine 1v1 by blinking behind him every time he discovers you.

I don't quite understand the role of the 2nd mode of attack (a heavy, slow swipe). It doesn't do as much damage to buildings. It slows me down as I attack with it, so it's really difficult to hit players (unless they feel like standing still when a fade is attacking them). Is it an instant kill against low armored characters?

The whip looks really nice and does an incredible amount of damage. I want to see its active abilities whenever I get to test with some players.

There is still the unrebindable flashlight key (very annoying with esdf) and the b hotkey not working for builders 50% of the time... not that big of deal.

My only gameplay complaint so far is that the flame thrower is like a huge f u to the aliens. It has a deceptively large range, and the instant I'm lit, I am completed blinded. It really needs to be toned down because it's hilariously broken (also hilarious in general when you watch the marine turn while firing.).
    <!--quoteo(post=1807038:date=Nov 19 2010, 05:20 PM:name=Stele007)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stele007 @ Nov 19 2010, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I didn't get to play much, but I have to say the fade blink is really really awesome. I love how you can see which direction you're facing. It's fun toying with a marine 1v1 by blinking behind him every time he discovers you.

I don't quite understand the role of the 2nd mode of attack (a heavy, slow swipe). It doesn't do as much damage to buildings. It slows me down as I attack with it, so it's really difficult to hit players (unless they feel like standing still when a fade is attacking them). Is it an instant kill against low armored characters?

The whip looks really nice and does an incredible amount of damage. I want to see its active abilities whenever I get to test with some players.

There is still the unrebindable flashlight key (very annoying with esdf) and the b hotkey not working for builders 50% of the time... not that big of deal.

My only gameplay complaint so far is that the flame thrower is like a huge f u to the aliens. It has a deceptively large range, and the instant I'm lit, I am completed blinded. It really needs to be toned down because it's hilariously broken (also hilarious in general when you watch the marine turn while firing.).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

2nd attack is like a focus attack from ns1, it 1shots a vanilla marine.
  • HashashinHashashin Join Date: 2010-04-15 Member: 71416Members
    edited November 2010
    Core i7 @ 2.66, 6 GB Corsair 1333 mhz ddr3, Radeon 4870x2 VMem 1gbx2, Windows 7 64 bit.

I play on High quality, 1920x1080. Cannot connect to any servers, it either gives me a server is full, even if the server only has 2-3 people. The real pain is that when I do manage to connect, I get a crash to desktop before the game actually loads, every time. Occurs in online and lan games, when I run or when I try to join one.

Edit: Same thing happens on ridiculously awful.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1807055:date=Nov 19 2010, 05:50 PM:name=Hashashin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hashashin @ Nov 19 2010, 05:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Core i7 @ 2.66, 6 GB Corsair 1333 mhz ddr3, Radeon 4870x2 VMem 1gbx2, Windows 7 64 bit.

I play on High quality, 1920x1080. Cannot connect to any servers, it either gives me a server is full, even if the server only has 2-3 people. The real pain is that when I do manage to connect, I get a crash to desktop before the game actually loads, every time. Occurs in online and lan games, when I run or when I try to join one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've heard there can be some issues if you're running 1GB video cards on settings higher than Medium. Have you tried lowering them to see if it helps?
  • sicbudsicbud Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68083Members
    Well, game is worse than it was in 154 (for me).

I try joining server (regardless of ping or how many players are in). And it loads and then just says "connection problem detected" Then I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL and end the game that way.

I'm so sad. I watched the NS2HD Beta game and it looked like so much fun, just wish I could participate in at least one game like that.

Anyways, hopefully you can find the problem UWE. Congrats on BETA!!

I guess I'll go back to NFS Hot Pursuit for now.
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    My feedback:

- Rifle helicopter sound is annoying and quite frustrating, replace it with ns1 lmg sound or something better.
    - Menus should close with ESC key.
    - I get conection problem messages often, even with good ping.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    edited November 2010
    As requested a video of my latest gaming expierence:
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_sP3YMox5A" target="_blank">Youtube link to NS2 1.55 vid</a>

A bit more info: it's a video of me trying to get ingame. It's <b>very boring</b> and only for the dev's so i don't recommend it to normal users :)
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    Mouse wheel up and down are binded as the same button, instead of two separate buttons like most games, or even NS1. So now instead of mousewheelup or mousewheeldown it's just mwheel. Can you please seperate them, it really makes it difficult because I switch all my weapons this way, and as it stands now I can only switch two guns, and I need three minimum.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyh5b4VRlZk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyh5b4VRlZk</a>

Ingame vid with specs posted, after I finally managed to get ingame. Sorry no sound, I forgot to enable it on Fraps :S
    The vid is only 5 minutes, I don't know what happened after that (disconnect? server crash?).
  • FragDoofusFragDoofus Join Date: 2005-01-17 Member: 36115Members, Constellation
    Bug: Shotgun ammo as displayed on the gun itself counts up with each shot, instead of down, and then refreshes after a reload.

Apologies if I am not adhering to thread standards, but this is a game bug, not a PC bug.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <b>Those of us working in a low res, issues:</b>

- Server browser does not display servers when res is below 800x600. You have to work around by using a high res, then dropping down once in server. Clips the bottom of screen as well, so you can't join even if you can see servers.

- Opening the menu on a server (esc) and then being killed whilst having the buy menu at armoury open (quite possibly without too) removes your cursor on respawn but keeps the menu displayed - you have to quit/disconnec to rectify, you can't fire or do anything else.

- The armoury menu makes buying weapons impossible with anything but a high res (the weapon info overlay goes across the buy buttons, so you can't do anything).

- Sentries placed close to walls disappear and you hear 'repeated' firing sounds when clipping models/walls??
  • DrakoDrako Join Date: 2009-06-30 Member: 67980Members
    Game Mechanics bugs:
    -Can't Reload while sprint but if you start reload and then sprint it will finish the reload while sprinting (bug or feature, if feature an animation is needed)
    -Eggs Spawn in Geometry => alien stuck in geometry after spawn ( reproducable with killin eggs until one spawns in Geometry)
    -weapon is triggered when clicking on close at the armory
    -Sound loop only occurs as client on a online server, but then it starts playing the 14sec sound sample everytime I or some else is triggering the LMG
    -MAC/Drifters can be hidden in walls or ceillings when you click on some geometry up there or at a wall

Gameplay problems:
    -Closed Doors (if by Commander or Mapper) need indication, just ran into the mapper close door at (ns_tram) near marine start several times and wonder why its not opening
    <!--quoteo(post=1807160:date=Nov 19 2010, 08:46 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Nov 19 2010, 08:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807160"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Those of us working in a low res, issues:</b>

- Server browser does not display servers when res is below 800x600. You have to work around by using a high res, then dropping down once in server. Clips the bottom of screen as well, so you can't join even if you can see servers.

- Opening the menu on a server (esc) and then being killed whilst having the buy menu at armoury open (quite possibly without too) removes your cursor on respawn but keeps the menu displayed - you have to quit/disconnec to rectify, you can't fire or do anything else.

- The armoury menu makes buying weapons impossible with anything but a high res (the weapon info overlay goes across the buy buttons, so you can't do anything).

- Sentries placed close to walls disappear and you hear 'repeated' firing sounds when clipping models/walls??<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

on the 2nd point, if you go up to the armory again and press use, then exit the menu normally, the menu will go away. you don't have to click "buy"to get the weapons either, just click the icon of the weapon at the top.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1807174:date=Nov 20 2010, 12:56 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Nov 20 2010, 12:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807174"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->on the 2nd point, if you go up to the armory again and press use, then exit the menu normally, the menu will go away. you don't have to click "buy"to get the weapons either, just click the icon of the weapon at the top.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I cant' the bottom overlay completely covers the top...
  • EldonEldon Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72414Members, Constellation
    Even with a successful server connect you will currently get the connection problem messages.

Wait and see if you can actually join a team through console and whether it evens out etc - it doesn't always mean you've been disconnected.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    scoreboard issues:
    I've noticed that i'll join a game, get disconnected after joining, then join another game on a different server, look at the scoreboard and it will be the same scoreboard from the previous server. same players on same team, except the pings don't update.

This lack of scoreboard correction could have something to do with the connection error when connecting to a server. if the server isn't updating with the correct player info then the client might cancel out.
    edited November 2010
    "phantom players" problem hasn't been totally fixed. For now, please add some code that kills connections that haven't updated their pings in like 5 seconds, or have 0 pings.

also, for some reason 'running leap' research becomes disabled after you research melee 2 at the whip. *edit* can't reproduce this. what i can reproduce is a good amount of input lag when clicking the upgrade button for running leap - had to click for 2-3 seconds before it registered. */edit*
  • WaPiZiWaPiZi Join Date: 2008-02-03 Member: 63564Members
    once when i was actually able to get into a server which was 1 outta 10k attempts i fell threw the world in one hallway on tram
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    First two times I joined my game crashed (I sent the report, but it was along the lines of props and soundFX missing it said, not loading the level properly?).
    After that plenty of "can't connect to server" while connecting to green-pinged servers and the ONE server out fifteen that worked for me sent something like 2 lines of "Error in packet" in my console and although repeatedly convincing myself that I <i>wanted </i>to play, it kept kicking me out even though it felt just fine while I was in-game and playing.

Performance-wise though and everything else it was just good on my computer. But honestly... fix the connection issues! :O
    Not sure what the problem can be when you can't connect to low-pinged servers, seems weird.

I don't consider it worth try any more at this point to get a game going, not with the 80% miss-rate on just connecting to a game. Looking forward to the next fix though!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I've given up now until the next patch.

I can join games (with the connection problems everyone else has). Problem is that NS crashes after the same amount of time (about 2 mins) each game.
    I joined a server that had just one player and was able to move pretty ok. I had no connection issues until a 3rd player joined, and even then it remained very little until 5-6 players joined, after which the server crashed.

Anyhow...I noticed 2 gameplay bugs:

-As a fade I bumped into the armory and the buy weapons screen came up =/
    -After I killed the power node the infantry portal kept working (or is this a feature?)
    Skill noises go off twice sometimes. This is related to latency. It's very obvious when you connect to a high ping server because the "echo" sound goes off with a delay. I think the server is sending a "play x sound" to the client, without realizing that the client is the one generating the sound. Therefore you get the sound repeating once when you fire client-side, then you hear the sound again when the server sends a world-update saying "firing noise occurs at location <x>"
  • GohanZetaGohanZeta Join Date: 2010-11-18 Member: 74996Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2010
    Got crushed by the CC while it was closing after i killed the Marine who attempted to become new Commander, have been Fade didn`t test it for Skulk( not sure if its a bug or more like a punishment for killing Commander in CC)