Build 155 Released

Comments

• Mkk_BitestuffMkk_Bitestuff Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12407Members
    That would save sooooo much.. I have it placed in my server name, Tokens NS2 Server B155 8P, which means - Build 155, 8 Player max. May tweak max players as connection flood slows, its realllllllly hammering it right now.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806612:date=Nov 19 2010, 09:14 AM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Nov 19 2010, 09:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->FPS are a bit better, but now I'm getting disconnected a lot.

Is the Fade actually in?
    It's greyed out and I couldn't buy it in LAN.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Type

cheats 1
    fade

in console
  • FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806616:date=Nov 19 2010, 01:18 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 19 2010, 01:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806616"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also can we pleaase get a max player count display on the server browser?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

THIS
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    The fade's weapon 2 is apparently a slow focus attack like the last kill in the trailer. It's extremely slow and requires you to stand still though, I think it needs some tweaking...
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Btw, leap isn't "borked", it's a feature!

Skulks with full offensive leap are just way too powerful in the beginning of the game. However, it's nice to have leap to get up onto things and to generally feel "skulky".

So the new basic leap all skulks have works well when you're still, but doesn't do much when you're moving. So you can do standing jumps. When you upgrade leap with Hive Mass and the Leap upgrade, leap is back to it's full power when you're running, so it helps a lot in combat.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    wow i almost thought they wouldn't do it because of the communities reaction.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Oh, if you want to try a fade out on a listenserver, type these into the console:

j2 (join alien team)
    cheats 1 (turn on cheats)
    fade (turn into fade)

...then if you want some really bad bots to fight against:

dev 1 (turn on dev mode)
    addbots x (add this many bots)
    dev 0 (turn off dev mode)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1806624:date=Nov 19 2010, 01:27 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Nov 19 2010, 01:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Btw, leap isn't "borked", it's a feature!

Skulks with full offensive leap are just way too powerful in the beginning of the game. However, it's nice to have leap to get up onto things and to generally feel "skulky".

So the new basic leap all skulks have works well when you're still, but doesn't do much when you're moving. So you can do standing jumps. When you upgrade leap with Hive Mass and the Leap upgrade, leap is back to it's full power when you're running, so it helps a lot in combat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It really does almost nothing while moving so it feels like a bug, IMO it should just be disabled while moving if that's the case. Or maybe left as-is for a small speed boost, but slightly higher so it's not like it's dragging you across the ground?
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1806607:date=Nov 19 2010, 01:10 AM:name=Mkk_Bitestuff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mkk_Bitestuff @ Nov 19 2010, 01:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->memory usage grows on server till about 1.8gb, then crashes.

Amount of connections may be leading to this, bordering on ddos lol.

CPU usage seems much better, hovers around 10% on quad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Confirmed.

Take a look at your per-core CPU usage (this is all that matters). I'm showing around 76% for 8 players.
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    can't seem to join any servers... tried for about 20 minutes then i gave up. I did manage to get in one, only to get a time out soon after. The game does feel to run a lot smoother though. just gotta fix server joining issues. Also some sounds are still looping.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1806620:date=Nov 19 2010, 07:22 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Nov 19 2010, 07:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806620"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Type

cheats 1
    fade

in console<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah so still only with cheats. The twitter post made it sound like it was available in the evolve screen now.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806632:date=Nov 19 2010, 07:36 AM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Nov 19 2010, 07:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah so still only with cheats. The twitter post made it sound like it was available in the evolve screen now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah it did
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    someone went fade in my server but it crashed before i could ask how they did it
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    The server browser seriously needs an overhaul. Max players would be nice for a start a slightly snappier "server is full message" would also be perfect.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    So the blink implementation is pretty cool :D
  • Iced_EagleIced_Eagle Borg Engineer Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14218Members
    Agreed, showing the max players the server will allow would be a great feature.

Later on, I'm hoping to get some filters to only show servers that aren't full, but I can wait on that. :)
  • Gun_KnightGun_Knight Join Date: 2004-11-03 Member: 32618Members
    I can't even play the game, the farthest i can get is the ready room then i keep getting a message saying connection problems detected at bottom left of screen and i can't join a team. Maybe its because I live in an apartment perhaps? Anyone else getting that? Otherwise my computer seems to be able to run the highest graphics setting at over 35 fps compared to before where it would have a random lag between all key presses and load times are fast with solid state drives
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1806645:date=Nov 19 2010, 01:42 AM:name=Gun_Knight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gun_Knight @ Nov 19 2010, 01:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't even play the game, the farthest i can get is the ready room then i keep getting a message saying connection problems detected at bottom left of screen and i can't join a team. Maybe its because I live in an apartment perhaps? Anyone else getting that? Otherwise my computer seems to be able to run the highest graphics setting at over 35 fps compared to before where it would have a random lag between all key presses and load times are fast with solid state drives<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Give it time. There's massive lag on server connect, usually takes at least a minute before it stabilizes enough to actually do anything. While that happens, it seems like you are frozen up.
    Just played a 10 minute game with a few other folks on a listen server. It was smooth with good hit reg and no stuttering. The server apparently hit a wall and crashed, but up until then it was the best experience with ns2 yet. Hotfix :D!
  • Mkk_BitestuffMkk_Bitestuff Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12407Members
    Im currently seeing between 30 and 40% on either of the two cores ive restricted it to, with spikes up to 65 -70%
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806624:date=Nov 19 2010, 04:27 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Nov 19 2010, 04:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Btw, leap isn't "borked", it's a feature!

So the new basic leap all skulks have works well when you're still, but doesn't do much when you're moving. So you can do standing jumps. When you upgrade leap with Hive Mass and the Leap upgrade, leap is back to it's full power when you're running, so it helps a lot in combat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If people think a game features is borked, then thats bad implementation

why not make it a charge up ability - hold the 2nd mouse button to charge (while charging your character comes to a halt). that way it doesnt feel like its borked.
  • FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    I'm getting a HUGE performance improvement. Things are so much smoother and there is way less hitching. This is the first release that I might actually play.
  • meh`meh` Join Date: 2009-03-10 Member: 66691Members
    blink is awesome, I love how it faces you towards marines so you don't have to do 180s all over the place.
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Game is ok, much fun to play. I love the new idea of the Leap, but lets hope they'll redone Alien UI
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1806632:date=Nov 19 2010, 01:36 AM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Nov 19 2010, 01:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah so still only with cheats. The twitter post made it sound like it was available in the evolve screen now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was just online and able to buy the Fade properly. I'm not sure what the requirement is exactly, but I had 3 hives, one hive upgraded all the way to Hive Colony, and had whips and crags on the field. We had 2 fades running and blinking all over the place - was very fun :D

btw devs, there HAS to be a limit on these turrets/hydras. When 6-8 turrets try and acquire targets at once, the server lags to hell for everyone. If you build hydras in firing range of the turrets, it more or less ends the game. (turrets can't seem to hurt hydras, so the lag situation continues infinitely)

In general though, this build is a huge improvement over 153 and 154. It's starting to "feel" like an online game. When the network hitches get ironed out, the current features will allow for a legit beta experience, I think. I also appreciate the simple "Experiencing Connection Problems" notice that shows up. It's good to know that the game knows what's going on, and that it can be waited out when there's a hitch.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    got my auto restart configured so it will check for crash every 2 minutes and restart. it was restarting on instant crash and starting 5 instances at a time. I'll leave it like that for the night and see if the connections calm down and it levels out.
  • EldonEldon Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72414Members, Constellation
    Fade is AMAZING - so much fun.

However shortly after I build sentries, the server crashed twice (possibly when they encountered an alien).

Has anyone had success with marine sentries?
    Just played 5v5 totally smooth on the "unplayable beta" server, it started chuggin at 7v7 but held on even with 20 players. As was noted on the server, it was working better with 7v7 than it was with 3v3 only two builds ago. Pretty impressive.
  • sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
    Max player counts in the server browser is a must... one that should have been added as soon as the alpha was released. Trying to connect to servers that are full (but with no indication of that) is unbelievably annoying.
  • OrtzinatorOrtzinator Join Date: 2008-03-02 Member: 63781Members
    Ok, so connecting to a server is still an utter nightmare, but running around in a listen server isn't too bad.