The Axe secondary attack

Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
<div class="IPBDescription">sugestion</div>The Axe secondary attack should be like charge that you build up the strength and when released it deals 50% more damage !

Comments

• RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I want to be able to throw it in the general direction of a gorge behind a house and insta kill it. This should then be followed by a slow mo replay and people cheering in disbelief.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    edited November 2010
    I'm not a fan of chargeable melee attacks. First of they're completely and utterly unrealistic. It's not like you can store up energy when swinging a bat. All batters do is get into the proper stance to maximize the amount of force they can apply during the swing. It's not like they actually store energy in their arms and release it. Second, it looks dumb to have a bunch of marines running around with an axe held behind their head. And third, it will be completely useless in the type of fast paced close combat we deal with in ns. Melee attacks are a last resort once you have unloaded all your possible clips and need just the last little damage.

I maybe could get behind the secondary attack of throwing the axe as a last resort to take down an incoming enemy or a fleeing enemy once you have run out of ammo. But you would loose the weapons until you picked it up or went back to the armory.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I'm already seeing 12 axes stuck in a hive...

The only secondary fire would be prying open closed doors that won't open due to the power grid being down.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Slow rate of fire with only 50% more damage... Why would anyone use that if they easily out DPS it using the normal slaphappy mode
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Axe doesn't need a secondary fire IMO.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    I always did have a little idea for a secondary attack for the axe. It should be that if you come upon an undefended alien structure and want to take it down quickly and don't have to worry about any kharaa coming for a while. It would be an attack you can only preform on alien structures and you would "charge" it for lack of a better way of saying it for about a second or two. After this charging period you would be slicing the alien structure percisely strait through it's carapace and it would be a much faster way of destroying un-defended alien structures. During the time that you are slicing away you are completely defensless, with your axe well wedged inside the alien structure and to exit it while it is still being preformed would take a few seconds, to punish those who take the risk while there are aliens nearby. This attack will allow a marine to kill a full HP harvester within about 5 seconds. Which is balanced by the fact that the "charge" up and "charge" down times will make it a risky action to preform and easily allow any skulk to chomp down any marine trying to preform it unprotected. It will make it so you don't have to hack away at enemy structures for about 30 seconds just to destroy a harvester or crag that is left undefended and unprotected while also requiring the marine to either be protected by a teammate or be absolutely sure there are no kharaa nearby.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    axe doesn't need a secondary attack.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    I think it would be nice to see what the team comes up with, rather than pitching ideas in. Although while we're pitching ideas, no secondary attack.

PS. Wrong forum, Ideas & Suggestions is two under this forum.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I would like the secondary fire to put the axe away.
    but only when I play as a skulk and am attacking marines :-)

or better yet you put the axe down and in a shaky voice walk slowly back ward saying....
    "nice doggy?"
  • Killpo1Killpo1 Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69373Members
    Yeah I think the only secondary fire an ax should have should be at a tool for obstacles, such as maybe a hack and slash mode for clearing infestation, opening powered down doors.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Can we please throw axe like a boomerang add some sparks when it flyes and make it leave a rainbow?
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Secondary fire?

Scalping Fades, of course!
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1804872:date=Nov 8 2010, 09:29 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Nov 8 2010, 09:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can we please throw axe like a boomerang add some sparks when it flyes and make it leave a rainbow?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+ 1.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    The axe doesnt need a secondary attack.

But if i gotta pick something, then i'd go for a block, rather than an attack.
    Would make it a little bit more even when fighting melee, since kharaa is mainly built around melee.

The block shouldnt deflect all damage tho, just a percentage. Otherwise its too prone for abuse (like an entire corridor of marines side-by-side blockspamming).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Wall of lame just came back to NS2 in a different shape D:
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    maybe we could buy an attachment to the axe and make it fire whisky bottles.
  • Killpo1Killpo1 Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69373Members
    Maybe the secondary could be embedding the ax in your head to serve as a hat. It could be NS2's first hat :D
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Is anyone thinking of the pipe wrench from Opposing Force? Because right clicking with that thing is insta gibs :D
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    <!--quoteo(post=1804860:date=Nov 8 2010, 05:25 AM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ Nov 8 2010, 05:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I always did have a little idea for a secondary attack for the axe. It should be that if you come upon an undefended alien structure and want to take it down quickly and don't have to worry about any kharaa coming for a while. It would be an attack you can only preform on alien structures and you would "charge" it for lack of a better way of saying it for about a second or two. After this charging period you would be slicing the alien structure percisely strait through it's carapace and it would be a much faster way of destroying un-defended alien structures. During the time that you are slicing away you are completely defensless, with your axe well wedged inside the alien structure and to exit it while it is still being preformed would take a few seconds, to punish those who take the risk while there are aliens nearby. This attack will allow a marine to kill a full HP harvester within about 5 seconds. Which is balanced by the fact that the "charge" up and "charge" down times will make it a risky action to preform and easily allow any skulk to chomp down any marine trying to preform it unprotected. It will make it so you don't have to hack away at enemy structures for about 30 seconds just to destroy a harvester or crag that is left undefended and unprotected while also requiring the marine to either be protected by a teammate or be absolutely sure there are no kharaa nearby.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Kina like the "more DPS but easy prey" idea. Think of one Marine trying to destroy a building that way, his mates protecting him and Skulks swarming around trying to find a hole in the defense... Sounds like fun :)