NS2 release this summer still?

124»

Comments

• Dr. PepperDr. Pepper Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72217Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776284:date=Jun 27 2010, 08:02 AM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Jun 27 2010, 08:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776284"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd wager the PC sales were insignificant compared to the console sales.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know and the reason I don't know is that Steam and other companies do not release sales figures. You simply cannot gauge how much business they're doing.

Suffice to say though, anyone who buys a FPS on a console when they have a PC option isn't really a FPSer.
    <!--quoteo(post=1776258:date=Jun 26 2010, 06:44 PM:name=1mannARMEE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1mannARMEE @ Jun 26 2010, 06:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are most people really that influenced by those scores in game magazins that get their money most likely not only from their readers ... ?
    Sometimes even I fall for some random hyped game so maybe it works, but most of the time it turns out that the mainstream game is ###### and the ratings don't help a ###### game, word of mouth will most likely kill it.

The Wolfire guys had some graphs on the sales of MW2, and it had a huuuuuuuge spike in sold copies directly after the release and it flattened to next to nothing only a week after (I'm not saying that the game sucks, but I'm sure this spike is achieved through spending 120 Million on marketing and most likely there wasn't much word of mouth involved).

So if you can make the sales spike a little after the release and even keep on growing thanks to word of mouth it would be way cooler.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. However, you have to look at it from the developer's standpoint.

I doubt they have the funds to make a full blown advertising campaign, no matter how essential it is.

So, they are, in part, relying on people like you and I to spread the word and get people playing. However, this is a double edged sword. The longer they wait, the less "old players" will remain, Ie, their player base. Given when NS1 was released, many of these gamers are probably like me, older, have jobs and can support a server for their favorite game.

But on the flip side, if they rush the game, people won't be interested and they'll leave.

There is a happy medium between these two factors. A game that has a few flaws to be worked out, but still people left to play.

I don't know where that line is though. And I'd hazard to guess that the developers aren't too sure either. :)
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776579:date=Jul 1 2010, 01:19 PM:name=Dr. Pepper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dr. Pepper @ Jul 1 2010, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One of the things I'd like to see is what they implemented in Dystopia (another excellent HL2 mod), in which when more of the team is dead, the respawn timer creeps up. This would provide tactical reasons NOT to fight (a good idea IMO) and hold your ground. Of course, without an alpha and a testing platform, I don't know how well this would work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's already there in NS. There's no point in having 5 out of 6 players in respawn queue. The moments you're spending in spawn queue you're losing map control. If anything, I'd like to see the effect slightly reduced sometimes, since it's not very pleasant for aliens to try get back on certain maps after they lose a fight on early node pushes.

Of course on public games you rarely see respawn management because people spread out quite randomly and you rarely see rushes or position breaking attempts involving more than a fraction of the players in the game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1776582:date=Jul 1 2010, 09:36 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Jul 1 2010, 09:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776582"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's already there in NS. There's no point in having 5 out of 6 players in respawn queue. The moments you're spending in spawn queue you're losing map control. If anything, I'd like to see the effect slightly reduced sometimes, since it's not very pleasant for aliens to try get back on certain maps after they lose a fight on early node pushes.

Of course on public games you rarely see respawn management because people spread out quite randomly and you rarely see rushes or position breaking attempts involving more than a fraction of the players in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? Hrm. It's been a while and I don't recall that. Shows how much I've been paying attention across the years.

Honestly, the only reason I'm here is because NS was so damn good that I'm still interested, 3+ years later. Hopefully NS2 will be decent.

Hell, just release NS as NS2 with better graphics and I'd be happy. :)